Apple, Oprah Winfrey sign multi-year deal for TV programming

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    They need to hire Russell T. Davies and give him carte blanche.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Why does Apple have to try and copy what everyone else does?
    Holy fucking hell, get out and don’t come back. You aren’t even trying.
    lordjohnwhorfineightzero
  • Reply 23 of 54
    I've been waiting for them to get into content creation for a while. Not unlike them to take a cautious approach to something like this but the time is right. After trying to craft a deal with existing networks for years and getting nowhere, the writing was on the wall. Given the culture that Jobs created, and his admiration for Disney and prior ownership of Pixar, in some ways content creation was inevitable. 

So many of Apple's business decisions are now based on subscription-based income generation. Lots of small recurring payments spread across the many millions who own and use their products. It takes out some of the rollercoaster of device sales. They need to have good, mass appeal original content to distinguish iTunes. And hopefully they'll take some chances on the creative fringe too ...
  • Reply 24 of 54
    Odds are, if your post was deleted, its because it got caught up in a sweep after an early post got deleted.

That said, it might be time to brush up on the forum guidelines. Don't start a partisan fight.
    C'mon.. you deleted my entire post? Seriously? I was just stating my opinion, and not antagonistic towards anyone on the forum at all. In fact, I was even defending and complementary to AI's reporting. Perhaps I jumped the gun on that one. You're letting Nunzy troll away on every thread, but when I put out a thoughtful post, it gets taken down just because it might offend a few politically sensitive people??

Is there a way to at least get the content of my post back. I spent a few min writing it..
    edited June 2018 nunzySpamSandwich
  • Reply 25 of 54
    patchythepirate said:
    Is there a way to at least get the content of my post back. I spent a few min writing it..
    Don’t count on it. They wiped 20 years of PoliticalOutsider posts. I had material there that I damn well should have saved on my computer, because it would have been useful for my book. Gone forever, though.

Offense is the name of the game. The protection of freedom of expression speech has stopped for even the US government; why would you expect a private entity to uphold it anymore?
    patchythepirateSpamSandwich
  • Reply 26 of 54
     Apple is selecting people who are pretty left wing progressive to match Netflix Obama $50 million deal for three or four produced shows/movies.  They also have in the pipeline other left wing producers on board.  It sort of getting into the same viewership.  50% of the country is composed of Independents and Republicans.  I would think Apple would go after the other side of the spectrum but no, it pretty much the same audience.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

This whole content thing from Apple is weird. Weird in that they’ve never formally announced anything. They just start hire media/entertainment people and green light shows. But no one knows exactly what for. This Oprah press release was only a few sentences long. According to Recode Apple hasn’t even told some of the people it’s working with what it plans to do with the stuff it’s greenlighting. Odd all around.

https://www.recode.net/platform/amp/2018/6/15/17468350/oprah-winfrey-apple-tv?__twitter_impression=true
    So you're claiming no one at Apple knows why exactly certain shows are pursued and green lit? What a strange claim. I would bet my life on there being people at Apple who do indeed know why exactly shows are brought onboard.

Oh, you're confusing people outside of Apple for people inside of Apple. I see. Yes that's also strange, that you would expect to know the business reasons people inside of Apple are using to direct their projects.
    Yes. It’s one thing for future hardware or software projects that don’t leak but pretty much every show Apple has greenlit has leaked to a trade publication. And this Oprah news came from an Apple announcement that was only a few sentences. Still no formal announcement from Apple that they are getting into the business of original content and according to Recode people involved with the projects they’ve greenlit don’t know what their plans are. I’m sorry but I think that’s quite odd.

https://www.recode.net/platform/amp/2018/6/15/17468350/oprah-winfrey-apple-tv?__twitter_impression=true
    Then you don't know Apple very well. It's not odd at all for Apple not to spell out their plans or let outsiders know "exactly what for". They'll announce what & when they're ready to.

The final sentence in that article:

"Apple declined to comment on its content plans."

...which is not the same as not having a plan, and not unusual for Apple.
    Yes I know Apple. I also know they don’t follow the same template for everything they do. Also I never said Apple didn’t have a plan. But if I was someone working with Apple on original programming I’d want to know what their plan was. 
  • Reply 28 of 54
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I really dislike this MBA weenie driven need to vertically integrate.

Here is the thing: make your products the best to create and use content on. The best, most up to date, leading edge tools. And make sure that your products are the best place to use that content. Regardless of source. Like the Apple TV. Initially its iTunes only approach held it back. Overpriced and limited.  It is much better now that amazon is back on board and it is becoming a cable box substitute for cable companies. Any cable company. Apple just needs to improve the remote. 

Netflix survives because it knows it is a content creator, and strives to work on any platform. All platforms. If it went with some or all content only available on certain hardware it would die. 

So why not concentrate on making sure not just iPhones, but macs are at the leading edge of computing rather than generations of parts behind? To make it so easy, low cost and seamless for other companies to set up carplay, HomeKit, HealthKit and airplay on their products in the Apple way that purchasers of apple products will always get first, and first class, access compared with competing products.

This vertical integration though: In my country we call this process of dividing up things as silo-ing. Like those big columns of wheat silos side by side you see beside railheads. Anything stored outside your silo is not accessible as it is in another silo. Usually applied within a company (eg Siri and maps) but it also works when companies try pushing down into content to monetise their other products. And it means that in the silo, stuff does not benefit from the infusion of ideas, competition etc. from outside the silo. It also kills creativity in the content. Because content creation has to fit the silo and its overarching culture.  No little start up content creators. No, they have to be part of the machine.  

It eventually leads to an an evolutionary dead end, like koalas. Only able to eat the leaves from about six species of eucalypt.

Its also why AT&T should not have been allowed to buy Time Warner. 

• Reply 29 of 54
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Why does Apple have to try and copy what everyone else does? Music, self-driving car, TV content, etc.....I mean what the hell?? Let those companies be great at the one thing they do and the consumer reaps the reward. You can't be in every space and be great at it. So should HBO create a phone now?

How depressing that the de facto company that lead the way in technology innovation now has such a fragmented focus they can't get the results Apple used to bring to creatives and consumers. It's like a restaurant that has 30 things on the menu. They don't do any of them great so you get mediocre results and nothing innovative. Apple needs leadership again that wants to rock the space they were great at and lose this antiquated own everything Microsoft perspective.
    Welcome and congratulations on your first post, troll. Remember how music and the iPod was a huge part of Apple's success and growth in the early 2000's? Yes, the world's most successful tech company "can't get the results" and only sells mediocre products, which is totally reflected in their best-in-class products, massive pile of cash, and all-time-high stock price. But hey, yeah — time for new leadership! ¯\(°_o)/¯

With HBO being one arm of a massive media conglomerate (which is now owned by AT&T), that's a bizarre analogy.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 30 of 54

Really wish Apple wouldn’t try and follow Amazon’s and Netflix’s lead here. They don’t need to be in the content creation business. Why don’t they instead help Disney out with buying the rights to Fox and offer whatever streaming options that merger has to offer free or discounted rate to people who own Apple products?
    What are you talking about? Both Netflix and Amazon offer a ton of original content.
  • Reply 31 of 54

It still seems like this foray into original content is a result of other things not panning out the way Apple planned.
    What on Earth brought you to that conclusion?

I’m curious what their narrative behind this will be, especially if the driving force is really just extracting more $$ out of existing customers. If it’s bundled with other things and can be pitched like an Amazon Prime type service it could be compelling. If it’s just here’s some original TV programming you can get for $10/mo with no good explanation of why Apple is getting into this space I can see it being a head scratcher.
    Maybe, like pretty much everything in Apple's services, it provides more value to the Apple ecosystem and sells hardware. Not that hard to figure out.
  • Reply 32 of 54

This whole content thing from Apple is weird. Weird in that they’ve never formally announced anything. They just start hire media/entertainment people and green light shows. But no one knows exactly what for. This Oprah press release was only a few sentences long. According to Recode Apple hasn’t even told some of the people it’s working with what it plans to do with the stuff it’s greenlighting. Odd all around.

So you're claiming no one at Apple knows why exactly certain shows are pursued and green lit? What a strange claim. I would bet my life on there being people at Apple who do indeed know why exactly shows are brought onboard.

Oh, you're confusing people outside of Apple for people inside of Apple. I see. Yes that's also strange, that you would expect to know the business reasons people inside of Apple are using to direct their projects.
    Yes. It’s one thing for future hardware or software projects that don’t leak but pretty much every show Apple has greenlit has leaked to a trade publication. And this Oprah news came from an Apple announcement that was only a few sentences. Still no formal announcement from Apple that they are getting into the business of original content and according to Recode people involved with the projects they’ve greenlit don’t know what their plans are. I’m sorry but I think that’s quite odd.

Then you don't know Apple very well. It's not odd at all for Apple not to spell out their plans or let outsiders know "exactly what for". They'll announce what & when they're ready to.

The final sentence in that article:

"Apple declined to comment on its content plans."

...which is not the same as not having a plan, and not unusual for Apple.
    Yes I know Apple. I also know they don’t follow the same template for everything they do. Also I never said Apple didn’t have a plan. But if I was someone working with Apple on original programming I’d want to know what their plan was. 
    And if I were working in a cobalt mine in the Congo, I'd want to have a sneak peak at the next iPhone.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    patchythepirate said:
    Don’t count on it. They wiped 20 years of PoliticalOutsider posts. I had material there that I damn well should have saved on my computer, because it would have been useful for my book. Gone forever, though.

Offense is the name of the game. The protection of freedom of expression speech has stopped for even the US government; why would you expect a private entity to uphold it anymore?
    When your speech on our forums impacts our earning potential at AI, then yes, there will be a culling.

There are rules for a reason. One of them is to not start a fight.
    edited June 2018 fastasleepsingularity
  • Reply 34 of 54
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    mike54 said:
    What a waste. Oprah no doubt talked her way in for Tim Cook to give her huge sums of money. That must of been easy, as Tim is not interested in mac mini, mac pros, reliable laptops, routers, monitors, etc anymore. These products are sold to the world, but the mind boggling amount of money she must be getting is aimed for the US market only, an even then she is now polarising figure. Hope its a flop, but it will never be admitted to even if it was.
    Apple knows what it is doing. It's not like it's an either/or kind of a thing. Apple is hedging and choosing where to invest and where not to invest. One investment doea not mean that they can't help but scrimp elsewhere. They choose based on the individual merits of the available choices.

This ia just part of a bigger plan. And given what Oprah costs, it might be part of a very big plan indeed.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Odds are, if your post was deleted, its because it got caught up in a sweep after an early post got deleted.

That said, it might be time to brush up on the forum guidelines. Don't start a partisan fight.
    C'mon.. you deleted my entire post? Seriously? I was just stating my opinion, and not antagonistic towards anyone on the forum at all. In fact, I was even defending and complementary to AI's reporting. Perhaps I jumped the gun on that one. You're letting Nunzy troll away on every thread, but when I put out a thoughtful post, it gets taken down just because it might offend a few politically sensitive people??

If you referenced the post that got deleted, then yes, yours got purged as well.
  • Reply 36 of 54
     Apple is selecting people who are pretty left wing progressive to match Netflix Obama $50 million deal for three or four produced shows/movies.  They also have in the pipeline other left wing producers on board.  It sort of getting into the same viewership.  50% of the country is composed of Independents and Republicans.  I would think Apple would go after the other side of the spectrum but no, it pretty much the same audience.
    Care to share with everyone which of the proposed content you think Independents and Republicans will not watch?
     https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/06/08/here-are-all-of-the-future-tv-shows-that-apple-has-signed-deals-for
  • Reply 37 of 54
    When your speech impacts our earning potential at AI, then yes, there will be a culling.
    Where’s George to complain about libertarians now?  ;)
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 38 of 54
    Care to share with everyone which of the proposed content you think Independents and Republicans will not watch?
     https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/06/08/here-are-all-of-the-future-tv-shows-that-apple-has-signed-deals-for
    Well to be fair, if you want to go into entertainment all the entertainment establishment is left wing, so most of the people Apple will end up working with will be left wing. Even the vast majority of Fox workers would be so. That’s just the way the industry is. In any workplace, like people attract other like people, and foster those like them, and think like them. No conspiracy or agenda needs to be involved. 
    On the other hand the Netflix thing with the Obamas is clearly political. The deal wasn’t because of the Obamas’ history of wonderful film and show productions. Because there isn’t any. It just wasn’t a good idea of Netflix. Netflix needs to be very agnostic and as widely available and accessible as possible, and avoid misfires on its original content. What is wrong with its Board that it signed off on a deal with a group with no industry experience?
  • Reply 39 of 54
    The line is right here. Step no further.

If political fights break out, there will be bans.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    nunzy said:
    mike54 said:
    What a waste. Oprah no doubt talked her way in for Tim Cook to give her huge sums of money. That must of been easy, as Tim is not interested in mac mini, mac pros, reliable laptops, routers, monitors, etc anymore. These products are sold to the world, but the mind boggling amount of money she must be getting is aimed for the US market only, an even then she is now polarising figure. Hope its a flop, but it will never be admitted to even if it was.
    Apple knows what it is doing. It's not like it's an either/or kind of a thing. Apple is hedging and choosing where to invest and where not to invest. One investment doea not mean that they can't help but scrimp elsewhere. They choose based on the individual merits of the available choices.

This ia just part of a bigger plan. And given what Oprah costs, it might be part of a very big plan indeed.
    I agree that it is part of a plan. But it isn’t about limited resources and choosing where to invest. Decisions on whether to choose oprah or Ellen is just not a strategic level decision. It’s just operational.

Apple is the biggest company in the world with an enormous cash war chest. Strategic decisions in what type of activity to undertake are not resource limited. It doesn’t have to make either/or decisions for the most part.  For example the Mac business is an FT500 company on its own and it doesn’t take all the resources of Apple to update the processor whenever intel releases a new one. The sad state of the Mac is the result of strategic decisions made years ago. Probably (and I don’t know this) a belief the iPad would replace laptops within five years, and that the Mac should be as disposable an appliance as an iOS device. Those things didn’t happen.  

I think (hope) Apple realises that management royally fucked up and is seeking to correct it. Trouble is, there is a lot of ruin in a global corporation, and like an ocean liner, course corrections take a while.
    nunzy
This discussion has been closed.