The Mac gaming landscape remains dire, with no improvements in sight

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Remember Cider? The wrapper system that let you just put Windows games into a folder tree within a .app shell and run it like a normal Mac application. Whatever happened to that? Seems like it could have been developed a bit more. I remember being able to get a handful of Windows games running through a Cider shell on my own, for heaven’s sake.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 69
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Remember Cider? The wrapper system that let you just put Windows games into a folder tree within a .app shell and run it like a normal Mac application. Whatever happened to that? Seems like it could have been developed a bit more. I remember being able to get a handful of Windows games running through a Cider shell on my own, for heaven’s sake.
    I’m thinking you’re referring Wineskin.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 69
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    The gaming thing is a tough one. Clearly Apple doesn’t want in on gaming in its current form.  But 3D graphics are critical for AR/VR and Apple needs to get up to speed this market is indirectly important.

As posters have mentioned, OpenGL is dead tech and Vulkan isn’t there yet, standard game engines and casual titles support Metal already and the big titles need big platforms for their proprietary engines to be viable.  If Apple could produce their own GPUs for Macs with significant Metal performance advantages, this may make the Mac a more viable target.

I liked the State of the Union presentation on Ray Tracing in Metal giving a 10x speed boost.  Add custom silicon to boost this further and this is the kind of think which could turn heads.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    DuhSesame said:
    Similar, it was explicitly for games. A large number of top-level games used it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 69
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    DuhSesame said:
    Similar, it was explicitly for games. A large number of top-level games used it.
    Both of them are based on Wine, though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 69
    I have something to say the reason why there isn’t gaming on macs is because there really isn’t any. The Windows Pc has been the best for gaming since day 1. As for IOS and iPad,gaming that willl always be possible as there are apps for that.
  • Reply 67 of 69
    WisteriacatsWisteriacats Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Why doesn't Apple have a competition for developers to make 64 bit games? A competitive edge to see which games appeal to whom and who buys them would be great. I use Big Fish, however, they don't have 64 bit games. That is sad. I enjoy playing a quick game, something to relax me, without having some huge gaming game. I feel like I have to buy a MS machine just to download games. Why doesn't Apple appeal to the game developers on Big Fish? That makes sense because these developers could up their current game to 64 bit and keep their 32 bit, as well, which would up the audience. Big Fish should also encourage their developers, so that they can make more money. I don't understand why Apple is so against just relaxing games that aren't some huge 3-D fantasy game or something with which you can just play and relax. Apple should recognize that if they get developers to just update their current games (less work than starting from scratch), then both win. Apple, why don't you partner with Big Fish??
  • Reply 68 of 69
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    It's funny that it's Apple problem that the games industry keeps abondoning players/ customers and has created a perception for itself of being buggy and baddy authored to the point people just write off spending over a $100 dollars on a game that is unplayable or double down and upgrade hardware.

Games don't seem to have really gotten any better than 15years ago yet require top flight hardware. In many cases they got worse (Sim City where for art you)

Pulled a indy game off steam on the weekend, last played a couple of years ago early-access. Release version so laggy on the same machine as early-access play fine on. drop all the setting to min. Game just couldn't start then. 3 Crashs then uninstalled again. 

Wisteriacats