Apple Maps recovers from multi-hour partial service outage affecting search & directions [...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Oh the humanity!

cogitodexter
    said:
    I get a popup in the Mac app saying "The map server is not available". I dare say it'll be fixed shortly. Good job I don't need to go anywhere though!
    I have Apple Maps and Google Maps installed just in case either fails.
    Note that there's an offline option for Google Maps so that it would still be available for navigation even if a server and/or cell-service aren't. Good to have in case it's needed.
    Truthfully, that is a feature I would like Apple to add at some point. I set that up for places I was traveling to, in case cell coverage was poor or there were similar issues.
    Alex1Nmuthuk_vanalingammbenz1962
  • Reply 22 of 39
    donjuandonjuan Posts: 61member
    Not working this morning. 
    Had to use google. 
  • Reply 23 of 39
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Oh the humanity!

cogitodexter
    said:
    I get a popup in the Mac app saying "The map server is not available". I dare say it'll be fixed shortly. Good job I don't need to go anywhere though!
    Note that there's an offline option for Google Maps so that it would still be available for navigation even if a server and/or cell-service aren't. Good to have in case it's needed.
    Well, I said just in case. I would never use Google Maps unless it was the last option in the world, a lot because of your incessant Google sycophancy on this Apple centric site.  I would use my less-than-perfect Ford Sync 3 navigation system before your oh-so-perfect and shiny Google Maps any day.
    So what's your reasoning? Privacy? It's not a bad reason; but, otherwise, Google Maps is better in every way I can think of. More accurate travel times, more accurate directions, more detail in the map, more accurate business information. 

Edit: Apple maps does look better and has a better HUD while driving. I should give them that.
    edited June 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 39
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Good thing I worked from home today.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    With Apple maps out, there will be fewer cars driving onto train tracks and off cliffs due to Apple Map's "directions".  Lives saved!
    muthuk_vanalingamsingularity
  • Reply 26 of 39
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I was driving to work when Apple Maps went out. I now find myself stranded out in the desert 300 miles from home. Anyone know a good lawyer to call that specializes in class action lawsuits? /s
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 39
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    badmonk said:
    I was driving on I-10 in the panhandle of Florida yesterday and Apple Maps was out for me as well.  But as I checked other forms of data, I discovered that all cellular internet access was out from Crestview maybe up to Pensacola FL despite normal cellular signal strength.  I have Verizon.  So maybe it is not an Apple issue.

That was 100% not related to anything Apple, but your cellular service was down.

• Reply 28 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Oh the humanity!

cogitodexter
    said:
    Well done on the Google ad, brownie points earned I am sure.  However, that must be a bummer for Google though, they can't track you, listen in and sell you stuff.
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 39
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I always use Google Maps never Apple
    muthuk_vanalingamsingularity
  • Reply 30 of 39
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Oh the humanity!

cogitodexter
    said:
    Well done on the Google ad, brownie points earned I am sure.  However, that must be a bummer for Google though, they can't track you, listen in and sell you stuff.
    So it’s not a good idea because Google offers it? Or it would be a good idea if Apple was the one offering it?
    singularitygatorguymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 39
    dipdog3 said:
    Maps is not working for me.
    Maps stopped working for me the day Apple launched their own service. ROFL

The good nes is google maps is running sweet.

edited June 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 39
    This is why you should always have a back-up navigational app on your phone.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Oh the humanity!

cogitodexter
    said:
    Well, I said just in case. I would never use Google Maps unless it was the last option in the world, a lot because of your incessant Google sycophancy on this Apple centric site.  I would use my less-than-perfect Ford Sync 3 navigation system before your oh-so-perfect and shiny Google Maps any day.
    People still use Apple Maps.   I guess I shouldn't be too shocked there are people using VHS videotape.
    singularitymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 34 of 39
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Oh the humanity!

cogitodexter
    said:
    So it’s not a good idea because Google offers it? Or it would be a good idea if Apple was the one offering it?
    Basically Free services like Siri and Maps have been second rate under Cook.     
    singularitymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 35 of 39
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    No, Apple Maps is NOT RECOVERED yet. The hybrid and satellite modes are still blank and dark.

Neither Apple Maps nor Google Maps work fast enough on my old iPhone. I spent money on a new TomTom GPS Navigator yesterday instead of a next-year-to-be-old-again iPhone.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 36 of 39
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    Appleish said:
    Good thing I worked from home today.
    Sorry for asking, but can't you find your way between work and home without a map?
    freethinkingwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 37 of 39
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    k2kw said:
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Oh the humanity!

cogitodexter
    said:
    People still use Apple Maps.   I guess I shouldn't be too shocked there are people using VHS videotape.
    I use Apple Maps all the time. It works fine for my purposes and I’ve rarely had any issues with it. It’s also better integrated into CarPlay. 

Given that their business model is to collect as much information about you as they can and user that to sell advertising, many people, myself included, are extremely leery of using Google services. Google also removed ‘don’t be evil’ from their code of conduct recently. Hmmm....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 39
    mbenz1962mbenz1962 Posts: 171member
    Leypetcat said:

This is good advice for anyone.  

Maps was also down for me here in Europe (Austria) at the time.  Cashed data (POI and street names and stuff) were still visible, but routing or location details were unavailable.

edited June 2018
  • Reply 39 of 39
    mbenz1962mbenz1962 Posts: 171member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Oh the humanity!

cogitodexter
    said:

I sure wish that Apple Maps had some sort of analogous feature.  I think Apple Maps does a better job of "magically" or automatically cashing data than google maps, as reinforced by my experience during this outage.  However, there are lots of times where it would be useful intentionally cash an area or a route ahead of time such as data saving, international travel, loss of data connection in route, etc.