Apple, Oprah Winfrey sign multi-year deal for TV programming

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    entropys said:
     Apple is selecting people who are pretty left wing progressive to match Netflix Obama $50 million deal for three or four produced shows/movies.  They also have in the pipeline other left wing producers on board.  It sort of getting into the same viewership.  50% of the country is composed of Independents and Republicans.  I would think Apple would go after the other side of the spectrum but no, it pretty much the same audience.
    Care to share with everyone which of the proposed content you think Independents and Republicans will not watch?
     https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/06/08/here-are-all-of-the-future-tv-shows-that-apple-has-signed-deals-for
    Well to be fair, if you want to go into entertainment all the entertainment establishment is left wing, so most of the people Apple will end up working with will be left wing. Even the vast majority of Fox workers would be so. That’s just the way the industry is. In any workplace, like people attract other like people, and foster those like them, and think like them. No conspiracy or agenda needs to be involved. 
    On the other hand the Netflix thing with the Obamas is clearly political. The deal wasn’t because of the Obamas’ history of wonderful film and show productions. Because there isn’t any. It just wasn’t a good idea of Netflix. Netflix needs to be very agnostic and as widely available and accessible as possible, and avoid misfires on its original content. What is wrong with its Board that it signed off on a deal with a group with no industry experience?
    My point was, with that nice list that AI has put together that I linked to shows a very broad spectrum of programming that should appeal to a wide variety of people. There's not any reason to suspect that content produced by the Obamas will be any different, as they intend to produce a variety of “scripted series, unscripted series, docu-series, documentaries and features” according to Netflix, or Oprah for that matter. Nobody is forcing anyone to watch anything they don't want to watch, just as I don't have to watch any of Netflix's previous endeavors (amongst which there have been plenty of misfires already). This is not a political issue and thus not a political post on my part. :)

StrangeDays
  • Reply 42 of 54
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Well I am agreeing that putting on Oprah probably isn’t political, just reflection of the entertainment industry.  Oprah has a track record of achievement.
    But if you don’t think the Obamas’ content won’t be political, I have a bridge to sell you. They have no production experience, so why would you set up an agreement with them? How did Netflix itself describe it? “docu-series, documentaries and features that highlight issues and themes the president pursued during his eight years in office.”

Uh huh. That won’t damage the Netflix brand in fly over country. At all. There must be someone making decisions in the Netflix board for reasons other than the best interests of netflix
    edited June 2018 harry wild
  • Reply 43 of 54
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Why does Apple have to try and copy what everyone else does? Music, self-driving car, TV content, etc.....I mean what the hell?? Let those companies be great at the one thing they do and the consumer reaps the reward. You can't be in every space and be great at it. So should HBO create a phone now?

How depressing that the de facto company that lead the way in technology innovation now has such a fragmented focus they can't get the results Apple used to bring to creatives and consumers. It's like a restaurant that has 30 things on the menu. They don't do any of them great so you get mediocre results and nothing innovative. Apple needs leadership again that wants to rock the space they were great at and lose this antiquated own everything Microsoft perspective.
    ummmm.... The people are actually complaining that Apple won't copy HBO with violent content and nudity.... Apple is copying HBO now?

Copying music? Ummm Apple saved the music industry. Apple is music.

"Steve wouldn't have", "Apple canr innovate anymore" "fire Cook"... did I miss any? Oh yeah let's just ignore that Apple is much bigger in 2018 than 2009,
  • Reply 44 of 54
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    More milquetoast offerings. How is this very different from the stuff that is available on network or cable TV? I'm not seeing the logic in the thinking behind these deals.
    What you don't like leftovers? We added some extra spices so it's good now. 
  • Reply 45 of 54
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member

This whole content thing from Apple is weird. Weird in that they’ve never formally announced anything. They just start hire media/entertainment people and green light shows. But no one knows exactly what for. This Oprah press release was only a few sentences long. According to Recode Apple hasn’t even told some of the people it’s working with what it plans to do with the stuff it’s greenlighting. Odd all around.

https://www.recode.net/platform/amp/2018/6/15/17468350/oprah-winfrey-apple-tv?__twitter_impression=true
    So you're claiming no one at Apple knows why exactly certain shows are pursued and green lit? What a strange claim. I would bet my life on there being people at Apple who do indeed know why exactly shows are brought onboard.

Oh, you're confusing people outside of Apple for people inside of Apple. I see. Yes that's also strange, that you would expect to know the business reasons people inside of Apple are using to direct their projects.
    Yes. It’s one thing for future hardware or software projects that don’t leak but pretty much every show Apple has greenlit has leaked to a trade publication. And this Oprah news came from an Apple announcement that was only a few sentences. Still no formal announcement from Apple that they are getting into the business of original content and according to Recode people involved with the projects they’ve greenlit don’t know what their plans are. I’m sorry but I think that’s quite odd.

https://www.recode.net/platform/amp/2018/6/15/17468350/oprah-winfrey-apple-tv?__twitter_impression=true
    This seems like a pretty formal announcement that they're getting into original content. So did Planet of the Apps and Carpool Karaoke.

"Apple today announced a unique, multi-year content partnership with Oprah Winfrey, the esteemed producer, actress, talk show host, philanthropist and CEO of OWN.
    Together, Winfrey and Apple will create original programs that embrace her incomparable ability to connect with audiences around the world.
    Winfrey’s projects will be released as part of a lineup of original content from Apple."

This is 100% of today's announcement.
    I guess they did sort of announce it when they put out a press release about the two hires from Sony,

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/06/jamie-erlicht-and-zack-van-amburg-joining-apple-to-lead-video-programming/

It still seems like this foray into original content is a result of other things not panning out the way Apple planned. I’m curious what their narrative behind this will be, especially if the driving force is really just extracting more $$ out of existing customers. If it’s bundled with other things and can be pitched like an Amazon Prime type service it could be compelling. If it’s just here’s some original TV programming you can get for $10/mo with no good explanation of why Apple is getting into this space I can see it being a head scratcher.
    I said it years ago. If the TV providers won't play nice with Apple, they Apple will create its own content. Seems that's what's happened.

Oh and Oprah is HUGE, why are so many people hating? I'm sure any other company wishes they had Oprah.
    brometheus
  • Reply 46 of 54
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    So is it interview Oprah or drama director Oprah? Sure hoping its the later.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    claire1 said:
    Why does Apple have to try and copy what everyone else does? Music, self-driving car, TV content, etc.....I mean what the hell?? Let those companies be great at the one thing they do and the consumer reaps the reward. You can't be in every space and be great at it. So should HBO create a phone now?

How depressing that the de facto company that lead the way in technology innovation now has such a fragmented focus they can't get the results Apple used to bring to creatives and consumers. It's like a restaurant that has 30 things on the menu. They don't do any of them great so you get mediocre results and nothing innovative. Apple needs leadership again that wants to rock the space they were great at and lose this antiquated own everything Microsoft perspective.
    ummmm.... The people are actually complaining that Apple won't copy HBO with violent content and nudity.... Apple is copying HBO now?

Copying music? Ummm Apple saved the music industry. Apple is music.

"Steve wouldn't have", "Apple canr innovate anymore" "fire Cook"... did I miss any? Oh yeah let's just ignore that Apple is much bigger in 2018 than 2009,
    Apple is not an entertainment company or did you miss that from 2009?? What is the point of saying "people are actually complaining that Apple won't copy HBO with violent content and nudity" then saying "Apple is copying HBO now"??  Uh, yah....HBO is a content creation company, Apple is not!

Are you people so desperate to defend anything and everything Apple does you comb through posts that you surgically remove the simple truth from then spew generalist diatribe? Simple logic tells you Claire that Apple is not copying music itself. The Apple music service is a clone of competing services which do it better. I'm sure you can figure out who those are. Saying Apple saved the music business is akin to claiming the iPad saved books. Yes, the iPod made music more convenient, but music was going to continue regardless of any piece of technology...Apple's or otherwise so you might want to dial down the sensationalism. By your philosophy Apple should open recording studios, create their own label and sign artists too, right?

Nothing was said about what Jobs would or wouldn't have done nor about firing Cook. The current leadership has every ability and opportunity to direct a path forward that sets Apple apart. It's a simple and infallible concept....focus on a mile and go an inch or focus on an inch and go a mile.

"Apple is much bigger in 2018 than 2009"....hmmm exactly what people said about IBM, HP, and Microsoft 10-15 years ago. All dominated and defined an industry and now?? Present size or growth is not a guarantor of future success. Another simple, inescapable business principle you overlooked. I've used Apple products in my business and personally since 1999 so yah I have a good hold on what created that growth and drove the innovation.

Really read and absorb what people write then reply, or just don't.

• Reply 48 of 54
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

Yep
    Greg Koenig (@gak_pdx
    6/16/18, 3:21 AM
    Apple doing content with Oprah is the quintessential Cook Apple move- rocket the company straight up the middle of the bell curve in the most boring, predictably successful, safe way.
    Have no edge, offend nobody. Leverage scale to succeed.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I personally not sure how much their content Apple is contacting to make is going to attract any attention. Must of the most popular content people are talking about on the non-traditional network is more edgy, Apple's more softer content will have some audience, but I do not think it's going to attract people like Netflix content.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    jgojcaj said:
    AMAZINGGG...
    In the meantime, though, Apple- Can you fix the MBP keyboard? Thanks a bunch. 
    You’re in luck. Apparently Tim Cook follows every article about Oprah on the net. He will definitely see you’re post here and immediately “fix” the MBP keyboard.  You have done a great service for the newest gen MBP owners. Thank you!  
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 51 of 54
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
     Apple is selecting people who are pretty left wing progressive to match Netflix Obama $50 million deal for three or four produced shows/movies.  They also have in the pipeline other left wing producers on board.  It sort of getting into the same viewership.  50% of the country is composed of Independents and Republicans.  I would think Apple would go after the other side of the spectrum but no, it pretty much the same audience.
    As of October 2017, Gallup polling found that 31% of Americans identified as Democrat, 24% identified as Republican, and 42% as Independent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_party_strength_in_U.S._states

Stop the political bullshit. There is zero need to angle things this way. It’s ridiculous actually. 
    brometheusStrangeDays
  • Reply 52 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    jcs2305 said:
    As of October 2017, Gallup polling found that 31% of Americans identified as Democrat, 24% identified as Republican, and 42% as Independent.
    And that’s a clear falsehood.
    There is zero need to angle things this way. It’s ridiculous actually. 
    So you’d prefer division by race? Sex?
  • Reply 53 of 54
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    When we posted this, I wondered how long it would take to get a comment that was clearly in violation of the posting guidelines. The second post needed moderation, and about 20 percent of the comments left here, mostly by one-post readers, have needed to be purged.

This post is no longer cost-effective to keep open, because of continued infractions. We're done here. We didn't make this post partisan, and you shouldn't either.

Take your partisan arguments elsewhere, or have them in PM.
    edited June 2018 mattinozfastasleep
This discussion has been closed.