2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    nunzy said:
    crowley said:
    elijahg said:
    nunzy said:
    It looks like they learned a valuable lesson. If you mess with Apple, you get hammered.
    The one that's going to get hammered is Apple, if they continue with this anticompetitive behaviour. The new rule that "transactions taking place within mirrored software do not need to use in-app purchase, provided the transactions are processed on the host device." is probably a way to skirt this.
    The part I don't get about people calling Apple's actions as anti-competitive is this - Steam clearly tried to use the iOS app as the doorway to sneak in a method for their users to then purchase their games on external store fronts. So, Steam gets to use the iOS ecosystem, where users are known to be more willing to spend and spend heavily, to then bypass that system and deny Apple their cut of the in-app purchases. If this isn't a shady business practice, I am not sure what is.
    Why does Apple deserve a cut for a purchase that they are not processing, for software they are not hosting? Especially when the software that is actually doing the real work of rendering the store and payment interface is on a completely different Apple platform, and for which Apple does not take a cut?

Very befuddling why there are so many Apple cheerleaders for an issue which deprives users of functionality for arbitrary rules.
    Because they are Apple's customers and Apple's neighborhood. If you want to do business in Apple's territory, you need to kick up to Apple. It has always been like that, ever since the old days
    It’s interesting you put it that way. Think about all the countries that are deprived of revenue because of ‘profit shifting’. Not just by apple, but by all multinationals. Maybe governments should sell access to their consumers?
    nunzy
  • Reply 22 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    nunzy said:
    crowley said:
    elijahg said:
    nunzy said:
    It looks like they learned a valuable lesson. If you mess with Apple, you get hammered.
    The one that's going to get hammered is Apple, if they continue with this anticompetitive behaviour. The new rule that "transactions taking place within mirrored software do not need to use in-app purchase, provided the transactions are processed on the host device." is probably a way to skirt this.
    The part I don't get about people calling Apple's actions as anti-competitive is this - Steam clearly tried to use the iOS app as the doorway to sneak in a method for their users to then purchase their games on external store fronts. So, Steam gets to use the iOS ecosystem, where users are known to be more willing to spend and spend heavily, to then bypass that system and deny Apple their cut of the in-app purchases. If this isn't a shady business practice, I am not sure what is.
    Why does Apple deserve a cut for a purchase that they are not processing, for software they are not hosting? Especially when the software that is actually doing the real work of rendering the store and payment interface is on a completely different Apple platform, and for which Apple does not take a cut?

Very befuddling why there are so many Apple cheerleaders for an issue which deprives users of functionality for arbitrary rules.
    Because they are Apple's customers and Apple's neighborhood. If you want to do business in Apple's territory, you need to kick up to Apple. It has always been like that, ever since the old days
    Really?  How does Steam on the Mac "kick up to Apple"?

Especially given that Steam Link on iOS is just a UI layer for Steam on the Mac or Windows, what significant difference is there that justifies this "Apple deserves their cut" attitude?

Apps make the platform better and the platform makes the apps better, it's a symbiotic relationship, and Apple nickel and diming their developers for silly shit like this paints them as a very poor custodian of the neighbourhood.
    elijahgnunzysingularity
  • Reply 23 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    MacPro said:
    crowley said:
    elijahg said:
    nunzy said:

So you don't understand the App Store then.  Check the revenues those that utilize it have made.  Valve are not stupid, they have done the math.  Any company wanting to join pays the piper but it certainly seems to be worth while.  
    I understand what the App Store is, I think it's you who don't understand the question that I'm asking: what I don't understand is why some people defend Apple's occasionally shitty behaviour in enforcing their rules.  

Don't just tell me that I have to pay the piper, don't tell me that it's the rule that I have to pay the piper, tell me how you justify the rule that I have to pay the piper.

"Because Apple said so and it's their store" yeah sure, that's a reason why developers have to deal with it, but not a reason for why they should feel anything other than antipathy towards Apple.  Call me crazy, but I think Apple should be aiming a bit higher than that.
    edited June 2018 elijahg
  • Reply 24 of 27
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    crowley said:
    nunzy said:
    crowley said:
    elijahg said:
    nunzy said:

Especially given that Steam Link on iOS is just a UI layer for Steam on the Mac or Windows, what significant difference is there that justifies this "Apple deserves their cut" attitude?

Apps make the platform better and the platform makes the apps better, it's a symbiotic relationship, and Apple nickel and diming their developers for silly shit like this paints them as a very poor custodian of the neighbourhood.
    It's a good neighborhood because Apple makes sure everybody is protected. Nobody screws around and people can feel safe.

If you want to make money off of that, you need to kick up.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 25 of 27
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,826member
    nunzy said:
    crowley said:
    nunzy said:
    crowley said:
    elijahg said:
    nunzy said:

It's a good neighborhood because Apple makes sure everybody is protected. Nobody screws around and people can feel safe.

If you want to make money off of that, you need to kick up.
    Yes, and sometimes they make a mistake interpreting their own rules. Other times they are idiots and make up the rules as they go along, rejecting for an as of yet unreleased rule, as they did with this. None of which helps their store or anything else, and doesn't make things more secure or users more "protected" or safer. Just makes them unable to have choice. 

People are certainly kicking up, kicking up a fuss. And blind fanboyism is trolling you realise, and helps no one in the long run. Especially Apple.
    nunzy
  • Reply 26 of 27
    drtkyudrtkyu Posts: 5member
    Thank you beloved Marshal Cook. Protect us from the Valve devils. May you reign a thousand, thousand summers benevolent Marshal Cook. 
    edited June 2018 elijahg
  • Reply 27 of 27
    PoPGuNPoPGuN Posts: 1member
    I think everyone is missing the main point. Valve doesn’t need the Steam Link app to function as a store front! They already have the Steam iOS app that have access to the store. Which aren’t considered in-app purchases it functions the same as the Amazon app or Walmart app, or any of the other online store apps that purchases aren’t considered ’in-app’ whether digital or not. So basically Valve doesn’t need the Steam Link app to have the option to buy games, so we can all forget about the making money argument. This app was designed for Steam users as another way to access their libraries and play games on another screen that’s on the same network.

PS. everything isn’t about money and it never will be take a look at where you place money in the priorities of your life, if everyone put it farther down on their list the world would be much better.