Podcast discusses the end of the lightning connector, waterproof patents, and interviews M...

Posted:
in General Discussion
This week on the AppleInsider Podcast, Victor and Andrew O'Hara discuss rumors of the Lightning connector's demise, patents on making connectors waterproof, network building tips, and an interview with the Geert Bevin, Moog Music's iOS Product Manager and Software Engineering Lead.

Moog Model D app

AppleInsider staff Victor Marks and Andrew O'Hara discuss:

• Rumors claim the 2019 iPhone may not have a lightning connector at all, to be replaced with USB-C. Victor and Andrew are very skeptical.
  • Apple patents a method to make the lightning port waterproof even when a cable has connected to it. Things that seem likely: Apple wants to make their devices more watertight. Things that seem less likely: Apple wanting to use USB-C on iOS devices.
  • There are Siri improvements coming just in time for the World Cup. Andrew doesn't watch Soccer / Futbol, but if you do, this is probably timely.
  • Apple adds 20 languages to the Apple Support app. Internationalization is a big deal - just as making things like support accessible only helps Apple keep people satisfied worldwide, the aforementioned Siri improvements may help them engage with the phone more easily.
  • Qualcomm and Apple's fight, still. This lawsuit is going to take ages to sort out. We talk through it and name some of the possible outcomes that could affect availability of Apple devices.
  • How to setup your home network. Mike launched a series about Apple-centric networking, and we talk through it, and our experiences with different mesh network routers.
  • And of course, we mention the review of Netgear Orbi, published this week
  • Apple is now disallowing developers to build databases from people's Address books. Andrew applauds the change, Victor feels like it's something that Apple could have addressed much earlier.
  • Geert Bevin joins us to talk about developing apps for iOS that make classic synthesizer sounds available to everyone. We recorded this conversation across a few different meetings, and we're very glad that Geert was so willing to speak with us.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

Show note links: Follow our hosts on Twitter: @vmarks and @Andrew_OSU.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

AppleInsider is in San Jose all week with the latest news from WWDC 2018. Stay abreast of Apple's announcements by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos from the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    If Apple ever gets rid of Lightning I don’t think it’ll be for USB-C, but instead for non-user accessible diagnostics port like on the Apple Watch.
    watto_cobramavemufc
  • Reply 2 of 8
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    Soli said:
    If Apple ever gets rid of Lightning I don’t think it’ll be for USB-C, but instead for non-user accessible diagnostics port like on the Apple Watch.
    The advantage of wireless is it gets that much easier to seal the device for water resistance. They don't like cables anyway, getting rid of ports is a win on all levels for them, except diagnostics, as you say.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    USB-C seems to make sense but I don’t know enough about it. Would there be any downsides to USB-C? According to what I’ve recently read USB-C is faster than Lightening for data transfer? Then there’s the fate of those Lightening headphones now on the market, not that that has ever stopped Apple from doing it’s thing. And finally there would have to be a USB-C -> 3.5mm dongle... unless Apple just ditches the dongle all together, which is a never-say-never when it comes to Apple. Does the Pixel or other Android phone without a headphone jack have such a dongle?

Update: Google sells a USB-C -> 3.5mm dongle for $9
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    vmarks said:
    Soli said:
    The advantage of wireless is it gets that much easier to seal the device for water resistance. They don't like cables anyway, getting rid of ports is a win on all levels for them, except diagnostics, as you say.
    I would expect something like a Smart Connector, which allows a consumer to still make a hard-wired connection, and would serve most purposes that USB-A could, as well as an audio port when the appropriate dongle is attached. 
  • Reply 5 of 8
    anomeanome Posts: 1,531member
    I heard (not particularly reliable source, but they admitted they were speculating) that they're actually switching the adapters to USB-C, which is something I thought they were going to do last year (and said as much on this forum somewhere). It makes sense, especially if they update the remaining Macs in their product line to all have USB-C in the next month or so.

They have already updated the existing base USB-C charger (currently for the MacBook) to 30W instead of 29W. A minor change, but it's possible they've done that to accommodate a new model, either of the MacBook, or maybe this new Retina MacBook Air that everyone was talking about a couple of months ago. Of course, I have no information, or any reason to believe this is going to happen, and I am just throwing it out there to see what happens.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I have a 2015 MacBook and OWC USB-C dock. It gets unplugged only a few times a month. 

The plug and port connection just feels weak and flimsy. Nothing like the solid grip of the lightning port. 

I’m fine with lightning for mouse, trackpad, keyboard, iDevices, AirPods, etc and usb-c only for Mac’s and other peripherals that don’t move much. 
  • Reply 7 of 8
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    mac_128 said:
    vmarks said:
    Soli said:
    I would expect something like a Smart Connector, which allows a consumer to still make a hard-wired connection, and would serve most purposes that USB-A could, as well as an audio port when the appropriate dongle is attached. 
    We used to have rumors of an iPhone 7 that had the smart connector. It didn't happen. Also: the smart connector has pretty much been forgotten by accessory makers for iPad. It's a very low-speed connector.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    vmarks said:
    mac_128 said:
    vmarks said:
    Soli said:
    We used to have rumors of an iPhone 7 that had the smart connector. It didn't happen. Also: the smart connector has pretty much been forgotten by accessory makers for iPad. It's a very low-speed connector.
    I’m not stating it would be the smart connector but something like it.

Its possible Apple could remove any way to attach a physical device to the iPhone, but it seems unlikely, depending on how soon they go portless. The reality is, if they decide to remove all ports, the speed of a physical connector is irrelevant so long as it passes audio, and data at USB 2.0 speeds, which is all the iPhone is capable of now.

Whether accessory makers ignored it or not is irrelevant so long as Apple makes use of it for a more relevant purpose. I’d suggest that while many rumors never pan out, that they often have some basis in research Apple is conducting, which is often not ready for prime time. The SmartConnector could have simply had value for Apple as a real world test of the concept for a future, more important purpose, rather than as an essential accessory connection port.