Cheaper 6.1-inch LCD 2018 iPhone expected to be Apple's most popular model

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    jurassic said:
    The 6.1-inch LCD 2018 iPhone is unlikely to have a "notch" as shown in the rendering. It will probably have a thin bezel across the top of the display (containing the Face ID components), with the rest of the phone similar in appearance to the OLED display iPhones (with no bezel at the bottom of the display). This is because LCD panels are rigid, and can't be folded like the OLED display in the iPhone X. So the LCD display would end (rather than being folded back) with the connecter behind the top bezel.
    But, but, but...  If there's no notch, and instead the FaceID components take a strip all the way across, what are people going to complain about?
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    ne4now76 said:
    MacOS7 said:
    airnerd said:
    Still waiting on the normal sized SE 2 to be announced.  
    Yes, please!!! But, I hope it's more like a iPhone X mini. Same size as the SE, but specs at least somewhat in line with the modern phones with an updated form factor. I love the iPhone 5s/SE form, I think it's the most successful design to date, but it's time for an update.
    THIS! 
    I have a 7 and would trade it & a good sum of money for a full featured phone with the dimensions of the 5S/SE.
    I love everything about the 7 except the fact that I leave it down all over because I avoid putting it in my pocket, where my phone should be, like every other iphone I have owned before it...  
    C'mon APPLE! how bout a "sport" phone marketed as a more rugged, full featured phone.
    I could care less if its thinner than a 5S, never once held up my 5S and said "this is just too thick". 
    As for the display, The 7 is LCD and is more than sufficient (so wasnt the 5S). If most of us want a cinematic experience, we would do it on a TV (or perhaps an ipad). 
    also could care less what tech unlocks the device as long as it functions well. faceid or a fingerprint sensor in screen or even on the back of the device is fine. 
    Lotta working class or active people that would prefer a smaller & more rugged form factor. 
    My dream iphone would be same/similar dimensions to 5S but full screened like the X w/ a great battery life, waterproofing and a screen that is easily replaced.

While I think you have an excellent idea with the SE sized, full function, "sport" phone, I don't see Apple going there anytime soon.

Have you considered an Apple Watch with LTE as a work around?
    It obviously doesn't have the large screen for videos and the like, but it seems to do phone calls, messages and a host of other things pretty well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 32
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    How many times have they repeated this headline! We know already.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    frantisek said:
    Is it possible that 6.1 iPhone will have A11 processor and will ditch 8/8 Plus?
    I think it’s possible the iPhone 9 could use the A11, but obviously it would break Apple’s pattern of using the newest processor in the newest iPhone. I think it’s more likely all three new models use the A12.

But I think you have identified a pricing (and feature) overlap/clash. There does seem to be an issue with the 8 Plus and the 6.1” LCD; normally the 8/8 Plus would drop to $599/699 but with the 6.1” coming in around the $700-749 price—and with FaceID (and A12??)—what happens to demand for the 8 Plus? Maybe it gets priced at $649, or even discontinued altogether, though I think that’s unlikely. 

I think the 4.7” iPhone 8 would stay in the lineup in any case. Once Apple develops a product and the costs are driven down with the huge volumes iPhones sell, it makes sense to continue making it. For example I expect Apple to keep selling the 6S/6S Plus, maybe at $399/499. The SE could drop to $329, then $299 when SE2 is released at $349 (assuming minimal revisions and no platform change). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 32
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    benjer said:
    kkqd1337 said:
    I’d imagine most people here like me will want the 6.5 OLED. But really it would be sensible to get the LCD.
    There's the rub. While OLED would be nice (I don't know if I could do a huge phone, though, I still need to carry it in my pocket), at this point I'm not ready to pay the price difference. (That whole "sensible" thing you mentioned.) That being said, I do remember using an iPhone 4 for a day (with retina display) then thinking, "I can never go back." But I'm not sure the difference between LED and OLED is as drastic on a phone, unless you watch a lot of content on your phone.
    I do. I watch a lot of content on my phone. When the X came out I gave it a really thorough look, side-by-side with the 8+. My conclusion was that the OLED in the X is better than the LCD in the 8, but not enough better to be a major influence on my decision. Whether or not the cost of an OLED is "worth it" is a value judgement, but for me it seemed like an example of diminishing returns -- the increase in cost is greater than the increase in value to the user -- but that's true of most products when you reach the top of the range.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 26 of 32
    amarkapamarkap Posts: 69member
    macxpress said:
    I like how we can determine what the most popular model of iPhone is before its even out. We know nothing about it but yet its going to be the most popular model! Haha!
    We can't for sure, but there is fun in trying to figure it out.  Not any more different (or any less fun) than trying to predicted who will win the Super Bowl right when the regular season is over and Playoff are about to begin.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    macxpress said:
    I like how we can determine what the most popular model of iPhone is before its even out. We know nothing about it but yet its going to be the most popular model! Haha!
    It's not like anybody made similar predictions in the past that turned out to be complete nonsense, is it?
  • Reply 28 of 32
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    jurassic said:
    The 6.1-inch LCD 2018 iPhone is unlikely to have a "notch" as shown in the rendering. It will probably have a thin bezel across the top of the display (containing the Face ID components), with the rest of the phone similar in appearance to the OLED display iPhones (with no bezel at the bottom of the display). This is because LCD panels are rigid, and can't be folded like the OLED display in the iPhone X. So the LCD display would end (rather than being folded back) with the connecter behind the top bezel.
    But, but, but...  If there's no notch, and instead the FaceID components take a strip all the way across, what are people going to complain about?
    The bezel, obviously. And if they managed to do it without a bezel or a notch, then the lack of bezel or notch. Basically, just complain about whatever solution they come up with as not being as good as some other solution is in your head. That's how you review Apple products.
    baconstangGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 29 of 32
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    wood1208 said:
    iPhone 9 with touch id could also be option for those who love touchid and slow or refuse to accept newer tech like faceid.
    Your post shows you don’t know Apple! They don’t do such as thing. Apple will move forward with new technologies and never go back. They don’t care if there’re people who still want TouchID and expect people to adapt with the new things. They may use it in a budget SE2, not in iPhone 9. TouchID is the past!
  • Reply 30 of 32
    starxdstarxd Posts: 128member
    I am baffled by these rumors that suggest the new "X Plus" will cost less than the current X, and that the new 5.8 inch OLED phone will be even lower than that. Why would Apple drop prices so drastically when they are seeing such strong sales at the higher price point? The 6.1 inch OLED will be the model for price-conscious buyers. The update X type phone will cost the same as the current X, and the X Plus will be at least $100 higher.
    mattinoz
  • Reply 31 of 32
    ne4now76ne4now76 Posts: 20member
    ne4now76 said:
    MacOS7 said:
    airnerd said:
    Still waiting on the normal sized SE 2 to be announced.  
    Yes, please!!! But, I hope it's more like a iPhone X mini. Same size as the SE, but specs at least somewhat in line with the modern phones with an updated form factor. I love the iPhone 5s/SE form, I think it's the most successful design to date, but it's time for an update.
    THIS! 
    I have a 7 and would trade it & a good sum of money for a full featured phone with the dimensions of the 5S/SE.
    I love everything about the 7 except the fact that I leave it down all over because I avoid putting it in my pocket, where my phone should be, like every other iphone I have owned before it...  
    C'mon APPLE! how bout a "sport" phone marketed as a more rugged, full featured phone.
    I could care less if its thinner than a 5S, never once held up my 5S and said "this is just too thick". 
    As for the display, The 7 is LCD and is more than sufficient (so wasnt the 5S). If most of us want a cinematic experience, we would do it on a TV (or perhaps an ipad). 
    also could care less what tech unlocks the device as long as it functions well. faceid or a fingerprint sensor in screen or even on the back of the device is fine. 
    Lotta working class or active people that would prefer a smaller & more rugged form factor. 
    My dream iphone would be same/similar dimensions to 5S but full screened like the X w/ a great battery life, waterproofing and a screen that is easily replaced.

While I think you have an excellent idea with the SE sized, full function, "sport" phone, I don't see Apple going there anytime soon.

Have you considered an Apple Watch with LTE as a work around?
    It obviously doesn't have the large screen for videos and the like, but it seems to do phone calls, messages and a host of other things pretty well.
    I do have an apple watch and Yes, I considered watch w/ LTE only but its not practical as I still need/want a full featured phone.  
    Really boggles my mind that they would rather a lineup with 3 big phones only vs having at least 1 "phone" sized iphone. 
  • Reply 32 of 32
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Will the 6.1" TFT-LCD model be called the "iPhone 9" because it's half way between an iPhone 8 and iPhone X?