Can Apple's HomePod take on a surround sound theater system?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    Dumbest story ever. Are really comparing Homepods to a dedicated home system? I’m running 2 B&W 804’s in the front, 2 B&W PM1’s in the back for surround, B&W PVD1 subwoofer, and a B&W HTM62 Center Channel, powered by a Denon X3400 AVR and this system blows away just about anything it comes across and someone actually thinks 2 HomePods can remotely compete. That’s some real Apple fanboy shit. 
    Caffiend
  • Reply 42 of 52
    CaffiendCaffiend Posts: 21member
     Conclusion:

We need a device like the AirPort Express that supports AirPort 2 and outputs digital audio.
    in the meantime my MBP running remains the heart & braibs of my music system set AirPort Express are still connected to my various audio systems. I have multi
  • Reply 43 of 52
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Dumbest story ever. Are really comparing Homepods to a dedicated home system? I’m running 2 B&W 804’s in the front, 2 B&W PM1’s in the back for surround, B&W PVD1 subwoofer, and a B&W HTM62 Center Channel, powered by a Denon X3400 AVR and this system blows away just about anything it comes across and someone actually thinks 2 HomePods can remotely compete. That’s some real Apple fanboy shit. 
    Maybe you didnt read the article. Nobody claimed the HP would out perform a home theater system. So what fanboy shit are you talking about?
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Not at all surprised that the dedicated system was a lot louder, but I would think that it would reach volumes much louder than is comfortable and the HomePods in pairing mode would at least reach a volume that approaches maximum comfortable volume level. By the levels in the video, something went horribly wrong.  I use one HomePod currently when watching on an AppleTV in a ~15 x 20 bedroom and it's already getting close to that maximum comfortable volume. My wife and kids cover their ears and yell at me to turn it down if I have it turned all the way up.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I saw this video and thought, What a joke!!! I could have said what the results would be before the test. While the HomePod is a nice device. Sounds great for the size it is. Is pretty good for Music. For a Surround sound setup? That's just laughable.

I have a pretty good 5.1 Surround sound setup. I can AirPlay to my Yamaha Surround sound receiver. Blast away. That's true, WIRED 5.1 setup. Larger speakers. Much larger Sub. You can move a ton more air. Sterno is also no replacement for 5.1 or better.

My HomePod has arrived today. I wasn't going to get one, but for the price I paid, why not. It's going to be for my Master Bedroom. Which will sound more then good enough for as loud as I ever plan to use it. It will never be for TV use.

The HomePod is pretty impressive for it's size, but some on, you have to be realistic. Unless your system is just complete junk. The comparison above is more high end than my system. The HomePod never had a chance. but then again, nether would a couple Google Home Max either. You could have 4 HomePods in that room and it still wouldn't stand a chance.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    "We pitted a pair of HomePods against a 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos-compatible surround sound system. For our test, the two overhead speakers were disabled"

"
    Apple TV will not support Atmos until the September release of tvOS 12."

"
    Starting off with the intro scene to "The Greatest Showman," the surround sound system output very clear vocals with deep bass. The YouTube clip...."

"streamed over AirPlay from an iPhone to an Apple TV."

What a STRANGE experiment... What a strangely written article....

edited June 2018
  • Reply 47 of 52
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    When and where did Apple say the HomePod was built to be home theatre system??
  • Reply 48 of 52
    Apple recently announced that the Apple TV 4K would support Dolby Atmos in the fall. (TvOS 12). Dolby Atmos supports spatial sound. The HomePod has great sound and has the technology to identify the room it is installed in. The recent release of Air Play 2 now provides Stereo to a paired set of HomePod’s. Given that the HomePod contains its own processor chip I would imagine that it should be possible for HomePod’s to support Dolby Atmos.  Dolby Atmos support on HomePods would change this comparison significantly. Comparing Stereo to 5.1 is not really fair but comparing HomePods running Dolby Atmos would be quite different. Does anybody at AppleInsider know if this is coming this fall too?
  • Reply 49 of 52
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    For home theatre you don't really need 5.1 but you definitely need a good quality subwoofer by good quality I mean one that isn't flabby. So unless apple is going to add a dedicated HomePod subwoofer, it will never be anything special for watching movies at home. Mind you if Apple made an 8" HomePod subwoofer (I can't see them making a 10") to work with two Homepods then they could do their magic and send the low sounds now produced by the 4" to the 8" sub thus freeing up headroom which would probably be a very awesome 3.1 set up.
    That would only be a 2.1 set up. Not 3.1. Left, Right, Sub is 2.1. You’d need a center channel speaker for a 3.1.

Your point is still valid though. I have a 12” SVS sub and you could probably fit about 25 HomePods in my sub. The HP could never get down to the levels of what I have. But the great thing about my HP, which is in my room, is playing music on the HP and my HT system at the same time with AirPlay2. Music almost everywhere I go now. 
    Yeah, that was a typo on my part I did mean 2.1. I have a pair of krkvxt6 and a 10s sub, the vxt's go low but for a genuine theatrical experience nothing beat moving lots of air. But the sub still does set up standing waves which is kinda weird, you can move to spots in the room where it completely disappears, this is where I thought Apple's technology could be put to good use. And if the HP's are already good imagine what they'd be like having less work to do. I used to have a pair of V4's which I'd run with the VXT6's using the airport express, that was a 3.1 or more accurately a 4.0!
  • Reply 50 of 52
    My understanding is that Dolby Atmos removes the “Channel” limitation. Traditionally we have had 2.1 , 5.1, 7.1 which addresses the channel and the sub-woofer or multiples thereof. Dolby Atmos addresses spatial sound (sound in space) and is not bound by which speaker the sound needs to be sent too. See Wikipedia Dolby Atmos technology. Dolby Atmos has been implemented on headphones (left and right speaker) so potentially could be on HomePod with its spatial awareness.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    I use HDMI audio by plugging in my game consoles, PC gaming rig, apple tv, etc into the TV and then us optical audio out of the TV send audio to my Sonos soundbar.

could I do this with Homepods so that I can use them for movie and video game audio?
  • Reply 52 of 52
    Can you redo this test with the new Home Theater with Apple TV 4K update? Curious to get your thoughts on any improvements!