Trump administration promised Cook no iPhone tariffs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    lkrupp said: Trump is an asshole, a jerk, and any other epithet you can throw at him but at least he’s trying to bring the problem to the front burner.
    That's what Smoot/Hawley thought too...just before the Great Depression. 
    tmayronn
  • Reply 22 of 27

tallest skil said: You realize that inflation before the Reserve was -0.2%? Negative. From the founding of the country to 1913. 
    Negative inflation = weak economy. The United States was an economic backwater for a long period of time, then became one of the largest economies in the history of the planet during the 20th century. That's where the inflation comes from. 
    singularity
  • Reply 23 of 27
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    The headline makes it sound like only iPhones are not subject to tariffs when in reality, all phones are not subject to tariffs. 

• Reply 24 of 27
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Before the unconstitutional Federal Reserve was enacted on the day before Christmas Eve 1913, The federal government was funded primarily through tariffs. Seeing as, you know, that’s how to keep a people out of slavery. Since the establishment of the PRIVATE CORPORATION–the federal reserve–the income tax has enslaved all citizens to its usury.

A restoration of tariffs is the first step toward abolishing the Federal Reserve, and consequently the income tax. As such, it should be supported by anyone who isn’t in favor of literal human slavery. Oh, and a reminder that the Romans made usury illegal because whereas even their chattel slavery was time-based, usury is forever.
    I say let’s return to the wampum standard.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    lkrupp said:
    The USA’s trade deficit has grown year after year, after year with no let up. There is absolutely no doubt that other countries have screwed American businesses with protective tariffs, predatory dumping of cheap durables on the American market (like Chinese steel). Canada has a 250% tariff on milk imported from the USA for the express purpose of protecting their dairy industry. But the USA is vilified for doing the same? Free trade is a joke. It’s a one-way street with the USA. Every previous administration has negotiated away our industry’s and farmer’s livelihoods with bad trade pacts that favor other countries. I live near Granite City, Illinois, a steel town that has been decimated by the importation of Chinese steel at loss-leader prices. My son is a structural engineer whose employer now forces the engineering department to use Chinese steel even though it rarely conforms to the engineering requirements specified. When his department refuses to certify the cheap junk they get shipped in from China upper management immediately starts applying pressure to use it anyway... just so it lasts long enough to get through the warranty period. Guess what? His employer used to manufacture in the USA using American steel. And we’re talking high pressure, high temperature steam boilers and turbines for power plants, stuff than can kill dozens in an instant if it fails. 

Trump is an asshole, a jerk, and any other epithet you can throw at him but at least he’s trying to bring the problem to the front burner.
    Yep we are sending whole industries over to China.   In a couple generations we won't make anything because we will have lost institutional knowledge in the workers except for a few old retired guys and gals.  But look we can buy cheaper iPhones and tons of cheap stuff on Amazon. or in WalMart.   Other countries understand and try to protect their Manufacturing (Germany, Japan, South Korea).   Unfortunately a lot of this was brought on by Democrats (Bill Clinton signing NAFTA and GrammLeachBliley Act) and Republicans alike (Admitting China to WTO by Bush).

Cook has to walk and talk carefully with respect to Trump.   Trump signed the big Tax cut that helped Apple and will take any criticism personally.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 26 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Negative inflation = weak economy.
    Nonsense. Maintaining–and even growing–purchasing power is in no way weak.

Never mind the underlying concept “driving” the market–fiat currency. Every single fiat currency in surviving recorded human history has collapsed to its objective market value–absolutely nothing whatsoever–in historically short order. The number of fiat currencies to do so is 500. Sorry, 500 currencies whose name starts with A. Just the As. Not even the most common letter.

Fiat currency has no value.
    Currency is a claim check to money.
    Money, as a physical object, is a store of value, and as such must be nigh immutable.
    Value is the application of wealth.
    Wealth is a person’s time and effort.

Fiat currency is created out of thin air. This is the foundation of all Western banks (et. al.). Need more economy? Print more currency! Rather, type some extra zeroes into a computer and more currency is created. This devalues every single dollar already in existence. Banks are allowed to do this through the system of fractional reserve, whereby they are only required to keep a portion of all deposits on hand at any given time. Depending on the account type, this fraction is between 0% and 10%. The bank is allowed to loan out the rest, at interest. And count that currency TWICE in their books–once as “your”****** “deposit”, and once for the loan. The person with the loan uses the fake, newly-created currency to go buy something, and the third person deposits it in the bank. THE BANK MAY THEN LOAN THAT CURRENCY OUT AGAIN, WITH ONLY A FRACTION OF IT KEPT IN RESERVE. CREATING YET ANOTHER SUM OF CURRENCY OUT OF THIN AIR.

And that’s just the SMALL banks. Since the Federal Reserve is a private corporation, it LENDS the US government its currency, AT INTEREST, in exchange for treasury bonds. Every single dollar in existence has more than a dollar of debt behind it. There is no such thing as a “debt ceiling” or an ability to repay any government debts. These concepts definitionally do not exist. It is physically impossible to repay the debt, ever, by the definition of the word. 

This is the problem with our economy. This is what will cause the Second Great Depression. This is the system that will make post-WWII Hungary’s hyperinflation look like the daily fluctuation in the price of a gallon of milk. Tens of millions will die. YOU NEED TO KNOW WHAT’S WRONG SO THAT YOU CAN KILL ANYONE WHO TRIES TO PROPOSE IT AGAIN. 
    It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.
    – Henry Ford

The refusal of King George to allow the colonies to operate an honest money system which freed the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators was probably the prime cause of the Revolution.
    – Benjamin Franklin

I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is now controlled by its system of credit. We are no longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men.
    – Woodrow Wilson

Whoever controls the volume of money in our country is absolute master of all industry and commerce, and when you realize that the entire system is very easily controlled, one way or another, by a few powerful men at the top, you will not have to be told how periods of inflation and depression originate.
    – President James A. Garfield

Gentlemen, I have had men watching you for a long time and I am convinced that you have used the funds of the bank to speculate in the breadstuffs of the country. When you won, you divided the profits amongst you; and when you lost you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves.
    – Andrew Jackson

Here are the simple facts of the great betrayal. Wilson and House knew that they were doing something momentous. One cannot fathom men’s motives, and this pair probably what they were up to. What they did not believe in was representative government. They believed in government by an uncontrolled oligarchy whose acts would only become apparent after an interval so long that the electorate would be forever incapable of doing anything efficient to remedy depredations.
    – Ezra Pound
    ******”Your” is in quotes because you don’t even own your physical currency. All currency is the property of the Federal Reserve. Not only does it have no intrinsic value and is not backed by anything, it’s not even yours.
    edited June 2018 jbdragonmuthuk_vanalingamjony0
  • Reply 27 of 27
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    tallest skil said:
    This is the problem with our economy. This is what will cause the Second Great Depression. This is the system that will make post-WWII Hungary’s hyperinflation look like the daily fluctuation in the price of a gallon of milk. Tens of millions will die.
    Yep, and the USA now has to keep the charade up at all costs.... ALL costs.
    tallest skil
This discussion has been closed.