Purported next-gen iPhone mockups compared against iPhone X in video comparison

Posted:
in iPhone
Hot on the heels of a supposed schematic leak detailing Apple's next-generation iPhone lineup, a report on Monday compares 3D printed mockups of the purported 2018 handsets with existing iPhone X hardware.

2018 iPhone Mockup

Capitalizing on the alleged leak, vendors are marketing "prototype" dummy iPhones, including a larger 6.5-inch "iPhone X Plus" and a 6.1-inch LCD iPhone with TrueDepth sensor, on Chinese e-commerce marketplace Alibaba ahead of an expected product unveiling this fall.

Japanese language blog Mac Otakara purchased a complete set and compared the mockups against a current-generation iPhone X, revealing a few subtle changes that may or may not make their way to production this fall.

Whether the 3D printed parts were created based on reliable CAD data is unknown. As such, the following is presented solely for purposes of discussion.

Expectedly, the publication found the 5.8-inch iPhone X refresh to be nearly identical to the current top-tier iPhone model. Button location and size are the same, while the positioning of cutouts for the downward-firing speaker and Lightning port mirrors existing hardware.

The rear-facing dual-camera system appears to be slightly askew on the "prototype" version, though iPhone X cases with larger camera cutouts should have no problem accommodating the change, the report said. That said, the mockup's camera bump might simply be misaligned due to poor craftsmanship.

Moving on to the 6.5-inch "iPhone X Plus" mockup, Mac Otakara found the unit was a mere 1mm taller, 1mm wider and 0.35mm thicker than Apple's iPhone 8 Plus. This lines up with previous rumors claiming Apple intends to market a high-end OLED handset that shares dimensions
with its largest iPhone model.

Instead of "forehead" and "chin" areas, the up-sized OLED phone is anticipated to incorporate a TrueDepth "notch" and edge-to-edge screen.

Interestingly, the 3D printed version outlined in today's report sports seven speaker holes on its right side and four on its left. Whether the asymmetric design is part of the CAD or the result of spotty workmanship is unknown. Apple previously reserved the space to the left of iPhone's Lightning port for a 3.5mm headphone jack, though the company moved away from the standard audio connector with the launch of iPhone 7 in 2016.

The 6.5-inch mockup's TrueDepth module appears to be the same size as that of iPhone X, though the array is slightly larger in the 6.1-inch LCD dummy. Other differences include a repositioned SIM card tray and slightly enlarger rear-facing camera bump with vertically aligned flash and microphone.

Finally, the blog notes Apple is an unlikely to include rumored USB-C connectivity in 2018, at least according to the supplied dummies.

Apple is widely expected to debut three new iPhone models later this year. A low-cost 6.1-inch LCD iPhone is rumored to anchor the line, while a refreshed iPhone X and jumbo-sized 6.5-inch OLED "iPhone X Plus" act as flagships.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    Still conflicted on going with the 5.8 or the 6.5. Argh. 

Will probably do the 5.8” since I have an LTE iPad now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Those mockups are why we'll never see a white-frontface on an iPhone that's effectively borderless and has Face ID tech.
    edited June 2018 watto_cobraclaire1
  • Reply 3 of 16
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    That said, the mockup's camera bump might simply be misaligned due to poor craftsmanship.

Whether the asymmetric design is part of the CAD or the result of spotty workmanship is unknown. 
    If these are printed on a decent 3D printer then craftsmanship/workmanship doesn't come into it. The printer will print the CAD exactly to the micron.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I guess this is what we have to look forward to with the next iPhone only 3 months away - leak after leak, rumor after rumor.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I hope the new iPhone models debut before the AirPower wireless charging pad which seems lost in a black hole. 
    lukeiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    The White front looks like crap. I agree with Soli - no way a White front will be used.
    watto_cobraclaire1
  • Reply 7 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The White front looks like crap. I agree with Soli - no way a White front will be used.
    Never say never.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    I think more interesting will be how Apple will cope with new cameras. Competition moved forward a lot.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Amazing.

They look like the iPhone X.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    ireland said:
    Never say never.
    Hideous.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    No dual SIM? It doesn't appear to be.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I guess this is what we have to look forward to with the next iPhone only 3 months away - leak after leak, rumor after rumor.
    Most of which are blatant lies designed to promote the agendas of the leakers and rumor mongers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Hawe@MacHawe@Mac Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    GG1 said:
    In my opinion we will never see an iPhone with two sim-tray's. They will just allow multi-sim usage with  e-sim not with real plastic sim-cards (just like the Apple Watch 3). There is just zero sense to make more holes in to a waterprooft device.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    CobraGuy said:
    ireland said:
    Never say never.
    Hideous.
    The printed mockups may look bad, but the real deal is going to be either steel or aluminum frames sandwiched by two panes of glass. 

Apple is going to choose color combos that they like. White face, white back with silver or chrome sides will look fine. Or white face with a shade of gold for the sides and back. Or even white face with black or gray sides and black will look fine.

A lot of people like the contrast of the black display framed by a bright white border. So, I would not be surprised at all to see Apple offer white face notch phones this Fall. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    Hawe@Mac said:
    GG1 said:
    In my opinion we will never see an iPhone with two sim-tray's. They will just allow multi-sim usage with  e-sim not with real plastic sim-cards (just like the Apple Watch 3). There is just zero sense to make more holes in to a waterprooft device.
    I would welcome either e-sim or second physical sim.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    That white notch......