What's new in macOS Mojave beta 2?

Posted:
in macOS edited June 2018
In macOS Mojave's second beta, a few things have changed for the better including enhancements to the new system-wide Dark Mode and better optimization for smaller screens.

Arriving two weeks after the initial developer seed, macOS 10.14 is overall a fairly minor update as far as betas go. Support for the 2010 Mac Pro is still missing, and is coming in a future pre-release update.

Additionally, the Mac App Store now has a more flexible size, able to be much more narrow to fit into smaller screens better. Maps also saw some Dark Mode tweaks, now using the nighttime version of the map when browsing with the darker interface.

Of course, a whole host of bugs were also squashed in this update. Still missing, however, is the dynamic background that will lighten and darken throughout the day.

macOS Mojave Dark Mode Maps app

Pro tip: Learn how to quickly jump between light and dark modes with the press of a keystroke.

macOS Mojave will be shipping this fall alongside iOS 12, tvOS 12, and watchOS 5.

If you haven't already, check out what is new in beta two of iOS, watchOS, and tvOS.

And to get the lowest price on a Mojave-ready Mac, be sure to check out our Price Guides, which are updated daily, as well as our exclusive deals on 2016 15-inch MacBook Pros.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Looks like Apple is going back a few generations in how it installs System Updates via System Preferences, instead of the App Store...

I like it!!
    ktappeescargotjbishop1039lamboaudi4
  • Reply 2 of 15
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Looks like Apple is going back a few generations in how it installs System Updates via System Preferences, instead of the App Store...

I like it!!
    Agree, tho it took me a few minutes to find where they'd moved it to so I could get the update.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    They should rename the mouthful that is “System Preferences“ to Settings.
    jbishop1039
  • Reply 4 of 15
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    ireland said:
    It is system specific settings and preferences. The specific name is a good idea, and not a mouthful, IMO.
    lamboaudi4
  • Reply 5 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    So to be clear there is no longer any NDA covering those of us with developer accounts testing Apple beta products? I confess I agree to the terms and conditions every year but haven't read them in years if not decades!
  • Reply 6 of 15
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    ireland said:
    Nearly every single macOS app has a Preferences. Do you want them all to become Settings now too, or just the one?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 15
    escargotescargot Posts: 28member
    The voice/intonation of the guy who does these videos is so funny!  I'm not saying it's a bad thing.  I actually love watching them just to listen.  Not in a "ha ha" way more like a fascinated/intrigued/semi-incredulous way.  
  • Reply 8 of 15
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    That was a terrible video. Talking about the Stocks app while the Voice Memos app was on-screen? Moving the Maps window off-screen for no reason? Moving other windows around the screen for no reason?

There are very few differences between betas 1 and 2, but the video could've been much less haphazard.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    Any word when a Mojave beta will be available to run on a Mac Pro 5,1 using a Metal capable GPU?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member

I like it!!

Finally! This was always a better way, but looking at that Software Updates pane in the video leaves me bewildered. What exactly is it updating? I hope they realize it's not very clear in that current incarnation. But at least we have a native update interface, not the crappy web-based interface from the Mac App Store.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member

darkpaw said:
    That was a terrible video. Talking about the Stocks app while the Voice Memos app was on-screen? Moving the Maps window off-screen for no reason? Moving other windows around the screen for no reason?

There are very few differences between betas 1 and 2, but the video could've been much less haphazard.

I must agree. That video was rushed and was not super informative. AI, you can do better, much better.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Can't wait for this new OS to come out!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I had no annoying bugs with beta 1 but beta 2 has been problematic with Safari. Some sites, like Hulu and Amazon, aren't always loading properly and occasionally all websites appear to get logged out. Not a deal breaker as I have alternate browsers and my password manager Extension makes easy work of re-logging in, but it's still annoying. But that's it. The system is running smooth and everything does feel better overall.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    fdogfdog Posts: 8member
    I was wondering what might be wrong with my "2010" Mac Pro setup that I couldn't download it, now I see it wasn't just mine after all, so maybe beta 3 will save the day.

(I do know that a recent High SIerra release I checked out doesn't seem to like my keyboard any more if I do a restart, but fortunately still seems to be okay with it from a power on boot.)
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 15 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I'd love an answer to the question I posed to AI above.