Apple wants to replace your car keys with an iPhone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    SpamSandwich said:
    Self-driving cars will thankfully one day soon end the entire valet “profession”.
    I'll keep my own car as long as it is legal to do so. If we are going out to dinner somewhere nice there is no way I'm using a ride hailing service for transportation. I don't want to take my briefcase, gym bag and sunglasses into the restaurant. I want to leave those things in the car. I won't use Uber. If I need a ride, say to the airport, I have a limo service. I've taken Uber before and the driver was unkept, the car dirty and smelled of tobacco. No thanks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 57
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ascii said:
    I don't want them to replace my car key, I want them to replace my car!

Let's see an autonomous electric that makes sense for 90% of the population from Apple. If it happens anytime in the next five years, it'll be a blockbuster.
    Then car thieves wouldn't have to hack your door lock. They could sit comfortably in their apartment with their laptop, remotely hack the car in your garage, and just program it to drive away. The future of car thievery, cars that steal themselves.
    If a car mostly uses onboard computing for its “decision making” it would be less likely to be hacked over some kind of remote exploit using the Internet, satellite or radio communications.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 43 of 57
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    SpamSandwich said:
    If a car mostly uses onboard computing for its “decision making” it would be less likely to be hacked over some kind of remote exploit.
    Just about any modern car can be unlocked remotely by the assist company such as BMW Assist, OnStar, etc.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    jony0 said:
    While they're at it, they should also use the NFC chip to mitigate texting or other phone distractions and shut off those features from the phone when in the driver's seat.
    How is that any different from what we already have with Do Not Disturb While Driving?
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208090
    It's a bit more draconian because you couldn't disable it, it's not optional, it's On all the time, yet the passenger could still use the phone for the blocked features if necessary. Local jurisdictions could decide if it would be mandatory for everybody or turned on only in cases of prior offenders, akin to breathalyzers. 
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 45 of 57
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    I don't want them to replace my car key, I want them to replace my car!

Let's see an autonomous electric that makes sense for 90% of the population from Apple. If it happens anytime in the next five years, it'll be a blockbuster.
    The problem with that is an electric car doesn't make sense for 90% of the U.S. population right now. Huge numbers of people do not live somewhere they can consistently charge a car, let alone with the high-capacity wiring needed for charging in a reasonable time. Tesla is the only company with a significant deployment of highway charging stations, and they use a proprietary connector and charge control protocol.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 46 of 57
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    MacPro said:
    crowley said:
    Phone out of battery, stranded!  :s
    Along those lines ...  Just one large EMP and no anything :(  Notice how in many a dystopian future apocalypse movie the protagonist looks for an old pre computer age car?;).

It's a valid point though but I'd imagine there would always be an analog backup system available.
    Eh. Not like an old car would be functional after a nuclear explosion either. That's the only known way to generate an EMP of sufficient power to fry electronics in the real world.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    volcan said:
    SpamSandwich said:
    Self-driving cars will thankfully one day soon end the entire valet “profession”.
    I'll keep my own car as long as it is legal to do so. If we are going out to dinner somewhere nice there is no way I'm using a ride hailing service for transportation. I don't want to take my briefcase, gym bag and sunglasses into the restaurant. I want to leave those things in the car. I won't use Uber. If I need a ride, say to the airport, I have a limo service. I've taken Uber before and the driver was unkept, the car dirty and smelled of tobacco. No thanks.
    My first extensive use of a ride-hailing service was in Key West just a few weeks ago. All three Lyft drivers I used had darn clean vehicles and showed up quickly, tho one of the three spoke very limited English which was a tad surprising. What I also discovered is that TWO worked for both Uber and Lyft, and according to them it's very common to do so. 
  • Reply 48 of 57
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    gatorguy said:
    volcan said:
    SpamSandwich said:
    My first extensive use of a ride-hailing service was in Key West just a few weeks ago. All three Lyft drivers I used had darn clean vehicles and showed up quickly, tho one of the three spoke very limited English which was a tad surprising. What I also discovered is that TWO worked for both Uber and Lyft, and according to them it's very common to do so. 
    I've only used Lyft or Uber twice each. Uber years ago and Lyft recently. I won't use Uber because of their poor business ethics, but both drivers with Lyft were also Uber drivers, and I often notice both stickers/decals/lights in the windshields of ride share drivers.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 49 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    volcan said:
    SpamSandwich said:
    I've only used Lyft or Uber twice each. Uber years ago and Lyft recently. I won't use Uber because of their poor business ethics., but both drivers with Lyft were also Uber drivers, and I often notice both stickers/decals/lights in the windshields of ride share drivers.
    I agree about Uber being shady, the primary reason I only considered Lyft in the Keys. 
  • Reply 50 of 57
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    volcan said:
    SpamSandwich said:
    I too won't use Uber. They are a very slimy company. Haven't had occasion to use Lyft or any other service, but now that I know many of them drive for Uber as well, I guess no.

OTOH I'm looking forward to self driving cars. I used to love to drive but over the years it just became a chore. The same old same old. I still drive when I need to, like to get to work, but as soon as I can replace my car with a self driving one I'm done.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 51 of 57
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Seeing as my car is now 11 years old, with no signs of needing replacement... it might be a long while until I'd be interested in this. :)
    Not fundamentally a bad idea, but cars aren't iPhones (with a 2-year upgrade cycle). Like CarPlay, it's a pretty slow adoption that is typically outdated by the time you get it.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    cgWerks said:
    Seeing as my car is now 11 years old, with no signs of needing replacement... it might be a long while until I'd be interested in this. :)
    Not fundamentally a bad idea, but cars aren't iPhones (with a 2-year upgrade cycle). Like CarPlay, it's a pretty slow adoption that is typically outdated by the time you get it.
    What's your point? It shouldn't ever happen because the upgrade cycle for an automobile is longer than for CE? How the fuck is that a reason not think about and plan for the future of technology?
  • Reply 53 of 57
    Soli said:
    What's your point? It shouldn't ever happen because the upgrade cycle for an automobile is longer than for CE? How the fuck is that a reason not think about and plan for the future of technology?
    No, my point is that by the time CarPlay gets widely adopted and implemented, there will be some other technology everyone will want that will be put into the latest models. People aren't going to just run out and buy a new car so they can use their iPhone with it. There needs to be better solutions that aren't tying two industries that have such different tech cycles.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:
    No, my point is that by the time CarPlay gets widely adopted and implemented, there will be some other technology everyone will want that will be put into the latest models. People aren't going to just run out and buy a new car so they can use their iPhone with it. There needs to be better solutions that aren't tying two industries that have such different tech cycles.
    You had me up until you reiterated the statement "people aren't going to just run out and buy a new car so they can use their iPhone with it." Again, no one has said that people will. CarPlay has been around for many years and very few people still have it because of the upgrade cycle of automobiles and how the technology trickles down from the higher-end. The same happened with iPod support. I think BMW was first to both. BMW had you pay for a setup with put a 30-pin iPod connector in the glove box and only very slowly did general PMP playback, metadata on infotainment systems, and USB-A ports show up as standard in pretty much all automobiles. Why expect this to be any different to make statements that imply that progress shouldn't happen if they don't all happen at the same time and at the same pace?
  • Reply 55 of 57
    Soli said:
    You had me up until you reiterated the statement "people aren't going to just run out and buy a new car so they can use their iPhone with it." Again, no one has said that people will. CarPlay has been around for many years and very few people still have it because of the upgrade cycle of automobiles and how the technology trickles down from the higher-end. The same happened with iPod support. I think BMW was first to both. BMW had you pay for a setup with put a 30-pin iPod connector in the glove box and only very slowly did general PMP playback, metadata on infotainment systems, and USB-A ports show up as standard in pretty much all automobiles. Why expect this to be any different to make statements that imply that progress shouldn't happen if they don't all happen at the same time and at the same pace?
    I've never had a car with iPod support either. I guess another way to say this is that we need some non-proprietary solutions that reach the masses, and for Apple to work on making non-CarPlay work better.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:
    I've never had a car with iPod support either. I guess another way to say this is that we need some non-proprietary solutions that reach the masses, and for Apple to work on making non-CarPlay work better.
    1) You've really never had a car with no USB port or BT? I can tell you that's not very uncommon amongst Apple's base.

2) What is "Apple to work on making non-CarPlay work better"? If it's not not CarPlay then what is Apple working on? You do understand that CarPlay and Android Auto do not run on cars, right? That they're just UIs that are built into each mobile OS that are pushed over a cable (or BT+WiFi) to the built-in screen which is effectively an external monitor and controls, right?
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 57 of 57
    Soli said:
    1) You've really never had a car with no USB port or BT? I can tell you that's not very uncommon amongst Apple's base.

2) What is "Apple to work on making non-CarPlay work better"? If it's not not CarPlay then what is Apple working on? You do understand that CarPlay and Android Auto do not run on cars, right? That they're just UIs that are built into each mobile OS that are pushed over a cable (or BT+WiFi) to the built-in screen which is effectively an external monitor and controls, right?
    re: 1 - I think my last car and current one has USB, but afaik only charges.
    re: 2 - Well, for example, Siri could have the ability to answer a phone call, hang up a phone call, etc. Audio routing could be better when you're just plugged in via the 3.5mm.

Rather than 'if you want hand's free' just upgrade to a car that has CarPlay, they could focus on non-CarPlay and then CarPlay could be the extra high-end stuff.

I get what you are saying about stuff appearing on the high-end and then eventually filtering down to common... but I guess what I'm saying is that the auto industry moves so slow, that by the time it trickles down, there's another thing out people need instead. It's really just cool stuff for people who buy a new high-end car. That's OK, I was just pointing out that it isn't really that big of a deal for most people.