Apple dropped a new GarageBand 10.3 update that makes Artist Lessons free for all users

Posted:
in Mac Software edited June 2018
Apple just released GarageBand 10.3, a major new Mac update that's not only free to download but also makes Artist Lessons-- formerly $4.99 each--free downloads for all users in over 120 countries.

GarageBand

The new release features 1,000 new electronic and urban loops that expand its abilty to make Reggaeton, Future Bass and Chill Rap, along with two new Drummers with Roots and Jazz-influenced brush styles as well as Guzheng, Koto and Taiko drums for playing and recording the traditional instruments of China and Japan. It also adds 400 animal, machine, and voice sound effects and five Vintage Mellotron patches.

Artist Lessions

Apple also notes that the new release updates compatibility between GarageBand on macOS and iOS, and includes other stability improvements and bug fixes.

Apple first introduced Artist Lessons at the beginning of 2009 with the release of GarageBand '09, part of what was the iLife '09 suite. The piano and guitar lessons, led by the artists who made their songs famous (including Sarah McLachlan, Sting, John Fogerty and Fall Out Boy) were originally sold as downloads that were limited to about 20 countries. Today they've been made free downloads to all users in over 120 countries.

There are eight Artist Lessons for piano and fifteen for guitar, so the shift to free means Apple is now bundling $115 worth of Artist Lessons in Garage Band, which itself is free for both Mac and iOS users.

Using GarageBand, aspiring artists can learn to play, layout tracks, share their work on social media and even open up an Apple Music Connect account to begin selling their music online.
cornchipcornchiplamboaudi4

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    Apple has been behind Garage Band and Logic 100% from the very beginning. It is one thing that I don’t think anyone would have a valid argument to use as a bashing tool against Apple.
    racerhomie3StrangeDaysmike54claire1
  • Reply 2 of 48
    Holy crap these lessons are so frickin awesome! $4.99 was already an amazing bargain. I hope they make more. Production costs, between the song rights and the artist's time and participation, must be astronomical. Thanks Apple!
    jony0StrangeDayscornchipSpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 48
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,253member
    MisterKit said:
    Apple has been behind Garage Band and Logic 100% from the very beginning. It is one thing that I don’t think anyone would have a valid argument to use as a bashing tool against Apple.
    I agree 100%. The Logic / GB teams have done an awesome job. I had held out with Logic 9 for quite awhile before jumping to Logic X, considering the FCPX debacle. Logic X is great and for a free app, GB is a great way for Apple to sell more copies of Logic down the road. 
  • Reply 4 of 48
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    This is just another tool Apple is providing for free. It’s like how Xcode is free, and then you make an iOS app and put it on their App Store and have the potential to make a decent profit. Apple are giving these lessons for free and then if you write a good song you can put it up on Apple Music or iTunes and have the potential to make a decent profit. 
    cornchipairmanchairman
  • Reply 5 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Looks like they added a jazz drummer... hmm... this should be interesting.
    MisterKit
  • Reply 6 of 48
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Can I get a refund for the lessons I already purchased? ;)
    grifmxDavidAlGregory
  • Reply 7 of 48
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I presume the Mac version is only available to High Sierra users?
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 8 of 48
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Fantastic! Plans just changed for tonight. 

Ps want to play games  w fellow airline passengers? Try scrubbing some of those exotic instruments on GB. 
    MisterKit
  • Reply 9 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    dysamoria said:
    I presume the Mac version is only available to High Sierra users?
    macOS 10.12 or later per the App Store. 
    fastasleepdysamoria
  • Reply 10 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

MisterKit said:
    You underestimate the power of negativity on these forums. Everything Apple produces or offers is subject to bashing, including Garage Band and Logic
    fastasleepRayz2016StrangeDayscommand_fclaire1lamboaudi4
  • Reply 11 of 48
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Wish they’d expand the stringed instrument lessons to banjo and mandolin for instance. 
    DavidAlGregory
  • Reply 12 of 48
    lkrupp said:

MisterKit said:
    You underestimate the power of negativity on these forums. Everything Apple produces or offers is subject to bashing, including Garage Band and Logic
    All those people who used Logic with Windows before Apple bought Emagic could probably find a reason to complain... <*Wink!*>
  • Reply 13 of 48
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    MisterKit said:
    Apple has been behind Logic 100% from the very beginning.
    Well, except for Emagic and C-Lab before it. :)
    edited June 2018 MisterKit
  • Reply 14 of 48
    It’s not accurate to suggest that you can “start selling music” by setting up Apple Music Connect. You have to pay a third party or aggregator like Tunecore to submit music to the store. Apple do not accept or solicit independent media producers of any kind. HOWEVER, if in the future Logic, GarageBand and Final Cut included a “submit to Apple Media for approval / distribution” in the menu of these apps it would be a game changer for artist, the industry and Apple. I’ve often wondered why Apple don’t already do this. I suspect the answer is simply that Apple don’t want to annoy the labels (middlemen, sharks whatever you want to call them) who it had to BEG for support when iTunes first launched. Maybe I’m wrong. The other issue is that Apple will have to sift through a lot of rubbish to approve acceptable content. However they are doing this now with the App Store submission process. I call that job creation anyway so they really can’t lose. Thoughts?
    cornchipLinz Hendersonclaire1JinTech
  • Reply 15 of 48
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Holy crap these lessons are so frickin awesome! $4.99 was already an amazing bargain. I hope they make more. Production costs, between the song rights and the artist's time and participation, must be astronomical. Thanks Apple!

Let's just get a little perspective shall we. I bought ZBrush 1.13 in 1998 I'm currently downloading ZBrush 2018 20 years later. Some software companies like Literature and Latte make the most minuscule of tweaks and then force you to rebuy the software. Pixologic on the other hand have made every single update completely free for the entire 20 year period, and allow installation on two computers. Also note that at the beginning Pixologic was a tiny boutique company. They never advertised free updates for life and indeed only guaranteed that for the next update, but it's been going on for 20 years.

While it's nice to get these lessons for free, let's not weep too many tears of joy at the generosity of Apple.
    Linz Henderson
  • Reply 16 of 48
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    MisterKit said:
    Apple has been behind Logic 100% from the very beginning.
    Well, except for Emagic and C-Lab before it. :)
    Okay: Since 2002. 

:-)
  • Reply 17 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Let's just get a little perspective shall we. I bought ZBrush 1.13 in 1998 I'm currently downloading ZBrush 2018 20 years later. Some software companies like Literature and Latte make the most minuscule of tweaks and then force you to rebuy the software. Pixologic on the other hand have made every single update completely free for the entire 20 year period, and allow installation on two computers. Also note that at the beginning Pixologic was a tiny boutique company. They never advertised free updates for life and indeed only guaranteed that for the next update, but it's been going on for 20 years.

While it's nice to get these lessons for free, let's not weep too many tears of joy at the generosity of Apple.
    Am I reading this right? Someone is complaining about Apple giving away at no cost something amazing? Oh, boy.
    lamboaudi4
  • Reply 18 of 48
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Am I reading this right? Someone is complaining about Apple giving away at no cost something amazing...
    "While it's nice to get these lessons for free..."

No you are not reading it right. Too bad you can't get free grammar lessons in Text Edit.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    I've enjoyed the lessons too... but... but... ...is there anything in the EULA that might offer Apple something in exchange...?  Do we all (as I have) just click 'Accept' ?  Just askin'...
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 20 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

What does your story have to do with the fact that Apple is recording lessons with top-tier musicians like Sting and giving them away for free now, and that as whorfin said the costs must be high and he’s pretty stoked about it?
    edited June 2018 SpamSandwichlamboaudi4