Canadian sues Apple over Apple Watch scratches that he made [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    Lab4UsLab4Us Posts: 32member
    SMH.  How much force would one have to actually pound the strap being changed into the screen to scratch it?  Not even sure why band would be in contact with screen.  Been wearing my watch daily since I got it day one of release (AW3), on my third band, and zero scratches.  Lawn work, car work, wrestling with two large 50 lb plus dogs, landscaping with bricks and gravel, etc.  Not one scratch.  Banged into car doors, walks, fences.  Not one single scratch.  Bet if I took an awl and dug into the screen I could scratch it.  

Agree the Canadian identification is unecessay.  Just as many dumbass gold diggers in the US and around the world.  Hence the stupid crap like “Hot coffee is hot”.  Now Apple will have to open AW with a screen that reads “if you pound objects into screen, it may scratch”.
    edited June 2018 magman1979watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 22 of 84
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

It was probably a very expensive model not the cheap aluminium model you all have ߘ馬t;br>
    Throwing money away on expensive watches, fashion, cars or Vegas trips is a very difficult thing for sensible computer nerds to cope with (speaking from experience), and none of us were happy about Apple entering the fashion market so I think this kind of lawsuit is long over due and I hope he wins and teaches Apple a lesson not to try to sell their loyal customers over priced junk. Double price RAM is the most we’ll pay ߘⰟ肰
    You don’t know. If it’s the natural SS model, then it’s more expensive than the anodized aluminum models, which are actually harder to scratch, since anodized aluminum is around 70 Rockwell C, while 316L SS is closer to 30 Rockwell C. That’s a very big difference. But all SS watches scratch, and that includes a couple of $15,000 models I had over the years.

your post is hysterical. If you think Apple shouldn't made nice looking things, then buy ugly things from some other company. But that’s your mental difficulty, not Apple’s, nor their customers’.
    edited June 2018 StrangeDaysmacxpresswatto_cobranetmageAlex1N
  • Reply 23 of 84
    Attn: AppleInsider Lost in here is a more interesting story. Once upon a time, it would be common for an Apple Store to replace an item like this just to make the customer happy. That does not seem to be happening much any more. In fact in my experience, service at Apple Stores is much more customer hostile than it used to be. Try this: Do a poll and ask your readers if they have found that Apple Store service is getting better, about the same or getting worse over time. The results could hint at a real story.
    larryaretrogustoKITAAlex1N
  • Reply 24 of 84
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    It sounds like this guy is looking for a court to quantify the word “brilliantly.” What are the units of measure that comprise brilliance when applied as a superlative in flowery advertising? Maybe it is “brilliance scale” or BS for short. So is this guy really complaining that there is too much or too little BS associated with the Apple Watch advertising? Based on the limited veracity of this guy’s claim I’d say he has a lot of experience with BS. 
    edited June 2018 DAalsethwatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 25 of 84
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    There something wrong in the maple syrup up there.
    Hey, do NOT bad mouth our Maple Syrup! The Quebecor's syrup mafioso may come hunting for you :)

But, idiots like these do make me embarrassed to be Canadian :(
    watto_cobralamboaudi4Alex1N
  • Reply 26 of 84
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    This guy should definitely sue. 

I mean, sue his English teacher. It’s really not Apple’s fault if you don’t understand the meaning of the word “resistant.”

I think it’s funny that the commenter who sided with him wrote “tought” and “fanatism.” 
    jbdragonwatto_cobraRayz2016netmageAlex1N
  • Reply 27 of 84
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    If there wasn't a chance of a (negative for Apple) precedent being set, why did Apple offer to settle after the small claims lawsuit was filed? Assuming that part of the story is true, you could say a replacement watch would cost less than sending a lawyer to court to represent Apple but they've never before let common sense stand in the way of settling for fear of encouraging others to do the same.

So why this time? I'd say because there's something to this fellow's claim. 
  • Reply 28 of 84
    HeliBumHeliBum Posts: 129member
    Sounds to me that Apple offered fair recompense and the guy is just being a jerk. I hope whatever judge get this one throws this guy out on his ear.
    watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 29 of 84
    DeanLubakiDeanLubaki Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    Hello guys! Plaintiff here:

There are two things AppleInsider omitted: Apple does say "scratch resistant", but two lines after they proceed to say "with a refined finish that won't scratch or tarnish".
    Exemple: can you say "x product is resistant" then two line after say "x product is indestructible"?
    The second question you should be asking yourself is: why is Apple selling a Milanese Loop with a diamond-like finish that they know will scratch the watch?
    edited June 2018 KITA
  • Reply 30 of 84
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    Six months in and my screen looks like hell. Not mad, but I was expecting better. Will spring for stainless steel + sapphire next time.
  • Reply 31 of 84
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Unfortunately this is just the kind of David vs Goliath story that the mainstream tech media will gobble up and plaster all over the Internet. Just you wait, Henry Higgins, just you wait.
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 32 of 84
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    felix01 said:
    If there wasn't a chance of a (negative for Apple) precedent being set, why did Apple offer to settle after the small claims lawsuit was filed? Assuming that part of the story is true, you could say a replacement watch would cost less than sending a lawyer to court to represent Apple but they've never before let common sense stand in the way of settling for fear of encouraging others to do the same.

So why this time? I'd say because there's something to this fellow's claim. 
    Not necessarily. It’s far more expensive for Apple to defend in small claims than the one bringing the charges. Apple likely felt that spending thousands for their lawyers would be far more expensive than just exchanging the watch.
    StrangeDaysnetmageAlex1N
  • Reply 33 of 84
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    nunzy said:
    Some people just hate Apple.
    That, or the guy was snowbound too long last winter.
    watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 34 of 84

There are two things AppleInsider omitted: Apple does say "scratch resistant", but two lines after they proceed to say "with a refined finish that won't scratch or tarnish".
    Exemple: can you say "x product is resistant" then two line after say "x product is indestructible"?
    The second question you should be asking yourself is: why is Apple selling a Milanese Loop with a diamond-like finish that they know will scratch the watch?
    Can you provide a link to Apple’s website where it says that?

FWIW, my wife has had a 2nd gen SS with Milanese Loop and her watch is scratch free. She is constantly swapping her ML for a Sport Band when she works out and then back again. Everything is good. 
    watto_cobranetmageAlex1N
  • Reply 35 of 84
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    brucemc said:
    Is it really necessary to put "Canadian" man in the title?  Should every article that involves a US person say "American Man"...?
    It's that or just assume "a Florida man" is the subject.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 84
    zompzomp Posts: 62member
    I’m not an expert, but isn’t there a difference between scratch resistant and scratch proof? Personally, when I see resistant on anything, it doesn’t suggest to me that nothing can happen, it means it resists under normal operation and that something more can cause issue. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 84
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    I don't know about small claims in Canada, but in the US you can't sue for punitive damages, "lost life", etc. In small claims court.  You can only sue for actual concrete economic losses.  So you could sue for the cost of the watch, but none of the other crap the guy listed.   Canada may be different in terms of small claims court (but I doubt it).   The guy needs to be careful the judge doesn't reject the case as not appropriate for small claims.  

To the question as to why Apple offered to replace the watch, it is simple.   It is less expensive for Apple to replace the watch than to send someone to the court to contest it.   I've used this to my advantage a few times against Compaq and Amazon when I had complaints (not with Apple).   
    watto_cobranetmageAlex1N
  • Reply 38 of 84
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Yet I’m sitting here looking at my series 0, 48mm stainless steel w/Milanese loop band bought in June 2015, worn daily ever since, and without a single scratch or smudge to report. How’s that possible if it’s a flawed design?
    darwiniandudewatto_cobranetmageAlex1N
  • Reply 39 of 84
    DeanLubakiDeanLubaki Posts: 6unconfirmed, member

Can you provide a link to Apple’s website where it says that?

FWIW, my wife has had a 2nd gen SS with Milanese Loop and her watch is scratch free. She is constantly swapping her ML for a Sport Band when she works out and then back again. Everything is good. 
    It says it here: https://www.apple.com/ca/apple-watch-edition/
    KITA
  • Reply 40 of 84
    gumashowgumashow Posts: 70member
    kkqd1337 said:
    “mental stress, and expenses that occurred because of the case in addition to the time of my life wasted that I will never get back”

Even if I owned a Roger Smith watch you can be assured that if I scratched it, I wouldn’t waste a second of my life stressed and worried about it. 

It’s a watch.

You have only yourself to blame if you can’t cope with day to day life. 
    What’s a Robert Smith watch? 
    watto_cobra