Canadian sues Apple over Apple Watch scratches that he made [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    It was probably a very expensive model not the cheap aluminium model you all have 😉

Throwing money away on expensive watches, fashion, cars or Vegas trips is a very difficult thing for sensible computer nerds to cope with (speaking from experience), and none of us were happy about Apple entering the fashion market so I think this kind of lawsuit is long over due and I hope he wins and teaches Apple a lesson not to try to sell their loyal customers over priced junk. Double price RAM is the most we’ll pay 😂😂😂
    You speak for yourself and yourself alone. 

I’m a developer (computer nerd, as you say) and what I paid for my Apple Watchs was well worth the price due to its value. I don’t consider it expensive. I also enjoy fashion, cars, and Vegas trips. 
    watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 42 of 84

All you blind apple fans will protect your favorite company till the end, actually till the day when Apple screws you up. I used to be that very fan supporting every decision on their part always justifying them no matter what until Apple fucked me up couple of times pretty badly. First it was same story with scratches on stainless steel watch, now swollen battery on macbook pro - in both cases i was refused for a replacement or repair. Apple needs to be tought a lesson. I support this guy 100%. Enjoy your fanatism. 
    Oh look, isn’t he precious. Yes you are, just precious! >pinch cheek<
    lkruppkuduDAalsethwatto_cobraRayz2016netmagemacky the mackyAlex1N
  • Reply 43 of 84
    Hello guys! Plaintiff here:

There are two things AppleInsider omitted: Apple does say "scratch resistant", but two lines after they proceed to say "with a refined finish that won't scratch or tarnish".
    Exemple: can you say "x product is resistant" then two line after say "x product is indestructible"?
    The second question you should be asking yourself is: why is Apple selling a Milanese Loop with a diamond-like finish that they know will scratch the watch?
    Can you provide a link to Apple’s website where it says that?

FWIW, my wife has had a 2nd gen SS with Milanese Loop and her watch is scratch free. She is constantly swapping her ML for a Sport Band when she works out and then back again. Everything is good. 
    It says it here: https://www.apple.com/ca/apple-watch-edition/
    Thanks (trying to dig through all the different pages, not knowing which model you had, would have taken more time than I would have dedicated). That’s interesting. I suppose it’s going to come down to what “won’t” means.  Though, if I were in Apple’s shoes I sure would be talking up the “scratch resistant” part. 

I’m curious to see how your case goes. Please check back in after the determination as it isn’t uncommon to hear about a case at the beginning but not hear about the result. 
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 44 of 84

There are two things AppleInsider omitted: Apple does say "scratch resistant", but two lines after they proceed to say "with a refined finish that won't scratch or tarnish".
    Exemple: can you say "x product is resistant" then two line after say "x product is indestructible"?
    The second question you should be asking yourself is: why is Apple selling a Milanese Loop with a diamond-like finish that they know will scratch the watch?
    The loop is steel, and thus cannot have a diamond-like finish. 
    watto_cobranetmageAlex1N
  • Reply 45 of 84

FWIW, my wife has had a 2nd gen SS with Milanese Loop and her watch is scratch free. She is constantly swapping her ML for a Sport Band when she works out and then back again. Everything is good. 
    “ceramic is more than four times as hard as stainless steel — with a refined finish that won’t scratch or tarnish.”

...so you’re saying your steel loop scratched your ceramic case?
    watto_cobranetmageAlex1N
  • Reply 46 of 84
    gumashowgumashow Posts: 70member
    Ok. I bought a series 1 sport w sport band a couple of years ago to engage in “sports” activity. After two months or so I had lots of scratches on the screen, I was very disappointed and felt the watch was not up to being called a “sport” watch. I called Apple, started a case and explained that I bought the watch to work out, fish, and those types of activities and that I felt the watch was not living up to its moniker. I didn’t point to a specific line regarding “scratch resistance or indestructibility” but merely was assertive in regards to it being advertised as a sport accessory. You get the idea. They aggreed after a couple of support reps heard my convincing plea. They sent me a new sport and said maybe there is something wrong with the specific one I bought, they wanted to inpect it. Hence, now, I am wearing my replacement sport, a few years later, same activities enjoyed throughout and the watch is absolutely scratch free. The guy shoulda taken the replacement — sometimes there are devices that are indeed defective and lots of times it’s your approach with Apple (or anyone you need help from). Attitude has a lot to do with how someone, anyone, gets through life and gets reciprocal treatment. Apple stores can be pompous though at times, I have experienced that, sadly. Calling Apple for me has had good results. Although I’m still pissed about my 2010 MacBook Pro graphic card defect that causes kernel panics (it’s unusable and was $2500) and I missed the repair extension period, man that irks me. Maybe I should sue — nah, I’m going to the beach, life is truly way too short. 
    duervodewmecityguidewatto_cobranetmageAlex1N
  • Reply 47 of 84
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Idiot.

if Apple claimed the watch “scratch proof” he would have a case. This will get thrown out of court—that is unless judge Koh is presiding. 
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 48 of 84
    DeanLubakiDeanLubaki Posts: 6unconfirmed, member

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MLJH2AM/A/42mm-space-black-milanese-loop
    "An additional diamond-like carbon (DLC) layer gives the space black stainless steel its distinctive finish."
    avon b7KITA
  • Reply 49 of 84

“ceramic is more than four times as hard as stainless steel — with a refined finish that won’t scratch or tarnish.”

...so you’re saying your steel loop scratched your ceramic case?
    "An additional diamond-like carbon (DLC) layer gives the space black stainless steel its distinctive finish."
    KITA
  • Reply 50 of 84
    Ok, that wording is for the current Apple Watch Edition - the ceramic version that is the most expensive design having replaced the original Gold Edition watches. 
    So plantif has Apple Watch Edition? May well have a case then. 

Wife and I both have stainless steel series 0, her with Milanese loop in 38mm and me with stainless steel link band in 42mm. I recently upgraded to a series two SS but kept my link band. 
    Zero scratches on our sapphire displays, perfect, like new. Many small micro abrasion style scratches in the stainless steel case, as expected like on normal watches with this finish. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 84
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

So you’re claiming that you have the ceramic Edition? That’s certainly highly scratch resistant. But seriously, you have to really be a noob to believe something is scratch proof, no matter what you may read. My black SS model is much more scratch resistant than even the ceramic version, and I’ve got no marks on it, or the Black SS bracelet.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobraStrangeDaysnetmageAlex1N
  • Reply 52 of 84
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

But it’s a smooth finish, not an abrasive one. You would have to work had to damage these.
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 53 of 84
    ItsDeCiaItsDeCia Posts: 12member
    As a Canadian myself, I am absolutely embarrassed that such a lawsuit could even be filed for something as ridiculous as this. This is a total joke.
    watto_cobranetmageAlex1N
  • Reply 54 of 84

The pictures shown at the source article show a heavily scratched screen. Yet this article you linked talks about the finish on the ceramic case. Why are you conflating Apples words about one component (ceramic case) and applying them to another component (screen)? Can you point me to any Apple literature that says the screen itself has "a refined finish that won't scratch or tarnish"? Unless you have pictures showing the case completely scratched, because all I've seen are the ones of the screen.

And mental stress? Seriously? From what, having to return a product you're not happy with? Boo-fucking-hoo.
    edited June 2018 watto_cobraRayz2016StrangeDaysnetmageAlex1N
  • Reply 55 of 84
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    kkqd1337 said:
    “mental stress, and expenses that occurred because of the case in addition to the time of my life wasted that I will never get back”

Even if I owned a Roger Smith watch you can be assured that if I scratched it, I wouldn’t waste a second of my life stressed and worried about it. 

It’s a watch.

You have only yourself to blame if you can’t cope with day to day life. 
    I think he is mentally disturbed.....go get a Fitbit and return your Apple Watch....
    watto_cobranetmageAlex1N
  • Reply 56 of 84
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    This guy can’t be a true Canadian.  
    watto_cobralamboaudi4Alex1N
  • Reply 57 of 84

The pictures shown at the source article show a heavily scratched screen. Yet this article you linked talks about the finish on the ceramic case. Why are you conflating Apples words about one component (ceramic case) and applying them to another component (screen)? Can you point me to any Apple literature that says the screen itself has "a refined finish that won't scratch or tarnish"? Unless you have pictures showing the case completely scratched, because all I've seen are the ones of the screen.

And mental stress? Seriously? From what, having to return a product you're not happy with? Boo-fucking-hoo.
    Can you point to me on this exact page, where it says clearly that the claims refers to the case and not the screen or the back?
    Also, the back (ceramic) is also heavily scratched. Did you look at the source article and decided to omit the pictures of the back that were included or...?

https://www.apple.com/ca/apple-watch-edition/
    edited June 2018 KITA
  • Reply 58 of 84
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    ScratchGate?

Reminds me of when people were intentionally bending iPhones and blaiming Apple.
    edited June 2018 watto_cobranetmagelamboaudi4Alex1N
  • Reply 59 of 84
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member

That text; “with a refined finish that won't scratch or tarnish" is for the Apple Watch Edition and here is more of that paragraph; “Sleek, light, and extremely durable, ceramic...”
    If this customer has an Edition, it is made of different materials; the Safire glass crystal, the ceramic body & the heart rate sensor cover.  
    (I found images of the customers AW, it is an Edition. There are scratches front & back. Lots of scratches on the Safire which is very hard to do. My SS AW Safire is scratch free.)

https://www.idropnews.com/news/apple-watch/man-sues-apple-scratches-apple-watch-series-3/74951/

As for the Milanese Loop; it’s metal, if the Apple Watch is laid flat on a table, the metal of the Loop could rub the back of an Apple Watch and it could scratch the heart rate sensor cover. (Even though the Loop has a magnet, which could stick to the AW, somehow the Loop scratched the Safire? That’s hard to believe but I guess it happened.) 
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 84
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    gumashow said:
    kkqd1337 said:
    Even if I owned a Roger Smith watch you can be assured that if I scratched it, I wouldn’t waste a second of my life stressed and worried about it.
    What’s a Robert Smith watch? 
    Roger, not Robert. Very exclusive English hand-made watches that sell for six figures. 

https://moneyinc.com/top-five-roger-w-smith-watches-time/