Canadian sues Apple over Apple Watch scratches that he made [u]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    Hello guys! Plaintiff here:

There are two things AppleInsider omitted: Apple does say "scratch resistant", but two lines after they proceed to say "with a refined finish that won't scratch or tarnish".
    Exemple: can you say "x product is resistant" then two line after say "x product is indestructible"?
    The second question you should be asking yourself is: why is Apple selling a Milanese Loop with a diamond-like finish that they know will scratch the watch?
    Can you provide a link to Apple’s website where it says that?

FWIW, my wife has had a 2nd gen SS with Milanese Loop and her watch is scratch free. She is constantly swapping her ML for a Sport Band when she works out and then back again. Everything is good. 
    It says it here: https://www.apple.com/ca/apple-watch-edition/
    The pictures shown at the source article show a heavily scratched screen. Yet this article you linked talks about the finish on the ceramic case. Why are you conflating Apples words about one component (ceramic case) and applying them to another component (screen)? Can you point me to any Apple literature that says the screen itself has "a refined finish that won't scratch or tarnish"? Unless you have pictures showing the case completely scratched, because all I've seen are the ones of the screen.

And mental stress? Seriously? From what, having to return a product you're not happy with? Boo-fucking-hoo.
    Can you point to me on this exact page, where it says clearly that the claims refers to the case and not the screen or the back?
    Also, the back (ceramic) is also heavily scratched. Did you look at the source article and decided to omit the pictures of the back that were included or...?

https://www.apple.com/ca/apple-watch-edition/

Here's the complete text from the page you linked at Apple:

Uniquely elegant. Brilliantly scratch-resistant.

Sleek, light and extremely durable, ceramic is more than four times as hard as stainless steel — with a refined finish that won’t scratch or tarnish.

The ENTIRE page is all about the ceramic case with no mention of the screen AT ALL. NOT ONCE.
    edited June 2018 watto_cobraStrangeDaysnetmage
  • Reply 62 of 84
    This guys is obviously a moron or he has some other goal. If Apple was willing to replace the whole Apple watch AND give him an accessory, that should have satisfied him. It's obvious that he's just greedy. The last time I looked up the word in the dictionary, the word "resistant" does not mean that an Apple Watch is totally scratch proof in the same way that being water resistant does not mean that it is water proof. You have to apply a lot of pressure to get the glass on Apple Watch, iPhone, and iPad to scratch. I'm very sure that this is totally his fault, and Apple should win in the end. Apple isn't perfect, but I will support them when I believe that an issue is frivolous.
    watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 63 of 84
    All you blind apple fans will protect your favorite company till the end, actually till the day when Apple screws you up. I used to be that very fan supporting every decision on their part always justifying them no matter what until Apple fucked me up couple of times pretty badly. First it was same story with scratches on stainless steel watch, now swollen battery on macbook pro - in both cases i was refused for a replacement or repair. Apple needs to be tought a lesson. I support this guy 100%. Enjoy your fanatism. 
    Learn to spell! Apple isn't perfect, and no other computer maker is. I have had Apple products that were just cursed as lemons, but each time, Apple took care of me. I had to complain a lot a couple of times, but they made the situations right in the end. Maybe you didn't complain enough, or complain to the right people. Since Apple has not done anything wrong in this guy's case, they will win. The offered to replace the Apple Watch, so what more should he want? This guy has way too much time on his hands.
    watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 64 of 84
    kudukudu Posts: 44member
    Oh my!
  • Reply 65 of 84
    Sounds like a big baby that needs to grow up. People will sue for the stupidest things, usually only Americans do this because they believe they are entitled. 
    edited June 2018 watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 66 of 84
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

There are two things AppleInsider omitted: Apple does say "scratch resistant", but two lines after they proceed to say "with a refined finish that won't scratch or tarnish".
    Exemple: can you say "x product is resistant" then two line after say "x product is indestructible"?
    The second question you should be asking yourself is: why is Apple selling a Milanese Loop with a diamond-like finish that they know will scratch the watch?

FWIW, my wife has had a 2nd gen SS with Milanese Loop and her watch is scratch free. She is constantly swapping her ML for a Sport Band when she works out and then back again. Everything is good. 
    The pictures shown at the source article show a heavily scratched screen. Yet this article you linked talks about the finish on the ceramic case. Why are you conflating Apples words about one component (ceramic case) and applying them to another component (screen)? Can you point me to any Apple literature that says the screen itself has "a refined finish that won't scratch or tarnish"? Unless you have pictures showing the case completely scratched, because all I've seen are the ones of the screen.

And mental stress? Seriously? From what, having to return a product you're not happy with? Boo-fucking-hoo.
    Can you point to me on this exact page, where it says clearly that the claims refers to the case and not the screen or the back?
    Also, the back (ceramic) is also heavily scratched. Did you look at the source article and decided to omit the pictures of the back that were included or...?

Perhaps reading comprehension isn’t your strongest suit. Here’s a direct copy from the page:

“Sleek, light and extremely durable, ceramic is more than four times as hard as stainless steel — with a refined finish that won’t scratch or tarnish.”

It says nothing about the sapphire screen, just the ceramic case. You know, if you’re initiating a lawsuit, you really shouldn’t be here commenting about it. Anything you say here could be used against you in the case. Such as your not understanding what Apple said.

but, be that as it may, my watch exhibits no scratching at all. That includes the diamond-like Black SS case, the sapphire screen, or the ceramic back, as well as the black bracelet. And I use this in my shops. I just can’t imagine what you did to this to screw it up so badly. I know a LOT of people with these watches. Two of them have minor scratches on the glass screen on their aluminum models, and that’s about it.
    edited June 2018 watto_cobramacxpressnetmage
  • Reply 67 of 84
    DeanLubakiDeanLubaki Posts: 6unconfirmed, member

Sleek, light and extremely durable, ceramic is more than four times as hard as stainless steel — with a refined finish that won’t scratch or tarnish.

The ENTIRE page is all about the ceramic case with no mention of the screen AT ALL. NOT ONCE.
    Had you actually read the article instead of insulting, you would have noticed the back of my watch (ceramic) is scratched as well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    Besides that, before launching the actual lawsuit, I consulted with a few lawyers expert in that area. Sorry you feel attacked because your beloved company is being sued.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 68 of 84
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    melgross said:
    I don’t know what model he has, but he seems like a real doof.

i bought a 2nd generation the day it came out. It’s a SS Black model with the SS black bracelet. I sold the watch to a friend and bought the gen 3 LTE model, also in SS black.

people here who know me, know that I have various shops. I do all kinds of work, including a lot of grinding, with tiny particles of silicon carbide, diamond, and other types of grit in the air and over counters. I wear my watch through all of this. I kept my original bracelet. That’s now close to 2 years old. I have never gotten the tiniest scratch, rub, or any other abrasion on either the bracelet or the highly polished watch itself. Not a single one! I know, because I clean it once a day, and look carefully, sometimes with a magnifier, because it’s so hard to believe.

i have, and have had in the past, a number of very expensive mechanical watches in 18 caret gold, SS and titanium. All have gotten scratched, with the gold exhibiting wear, and I NEVER wore any in the shops. In fact, I usually only wore them for 8 to 12 hours, mostly when I went out. And each maybe 2 to 3 times a week.

I totally agree with you. None of my Apple watches had any kind of scratch anywhere with all the heavy abuse. On an average, my series 3 SS gets slammed 3 times a day to various surfaces totally accidentally due to my day-to-day activities. And keep it absolutely cleaned, even after so many months, it still looks like brand new. So that doesn't mean to be an arsehole and careless about your gadgets, Any time the watch slams against any hard surface, it can potentially cause damage, this includes when it is being worn and collides with something hard. It applies to everything whether it is Apple watch or other more expensive mechanical watch, iPhone or iPad or whatever.  

And I also agree to someone's comment why this article says "Canadian", to me it shows how unprofessional, immature and novice the author of this article is. Grow up and think out of your box without prejudice. But again these kinds of behaviours can been seen on other forums as well, AI is not alone. Change of mindset is not easy.

edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 84
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    nunzy said:
    Some people just hate Apple.
    Some people are just turds. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 84
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    aegean said:
    melgross said:

i bought a 2nd generation the day it came out. It’s a SS Black model with the SS black bracelet. I sold the watch to a friend and bought the gen 3 LTE model, also in SS black.

people here who know me, know that I have various shops. I do all kinds of work, including a lot of grinding, with tiny particles of silicon carbide, diamond, and other types of grit in the air and over counters. I wear my watch through all of this. I kept my original bracelet. That’s now close to 2 years old. I have never gotten the tiniest scratch, rub, or any other abrasion on either the bracelet or the highly polished watch itself. Not a single one! I know, because I clean it once a day, and look carefully, sometimes with a magnifier, because it’s so hard to believe.

i have, and have had in the past, a number of very expensive mechanical watches in 18 caret gold, SS and titanium. All have gotten scratched, with the gold exhibiting wear, and I NEVER wore any in the shops. In fact, I usually only wore them for 8 to 12 hours, mostly when I went out. And each maybe 2 to 3 times a week.

I totally agree with you. None of my Apple watches had any kind of scratch anywhere with all the heavy abuse. On an average, my series 3 SS gets slammed 3 times a day to various surfaces totally accidentally due to my day-to-day activities. And keep it absolutely cleaned, even after so many months, it still looks like brand new. So that doesn't mean to be an arsehole and careless about your gadgets, Any time the watch slams against any hard surface, it can potentially cause damage, this includes when it is being worn and collides with something hard. It applies to everything whether it is Apple watch or other more expensive mechanical watch, iPhone or iPad or whatever.  

And I also agree to someone's comment why this article says "Canadian", to me it shows how unprofessional, immature and novice the author of this article is. Grow up and think out of your box without prejudice. But again these kinds of behaviours can been seen on other forums as well, AI is not alone. Change of mindset is not easy.

What are you even talking about? AI is a US-centric site, this is not a US court case. The distinction is normal, and there is no prejudice against Canadians.
    watto_cobranetmagedanh
  • Reply 71 of 84

Sorry, but are you a fucking idiot?

I smell a fanboy! 

Yes, you have to be a fucking idiot not to realize they're talking about the ceramic case. In fact, the ENTIRE page is all about the ceramic case with no mention of the screen AT ALL. NOT ONCE.

I hope that's not actually your real name, because, damn, you have literally made a fool of yourself in front of millions. Not only did you make yourself look like a fool, but you come across as a spoiled little brat, whining over the mental stress you suffered over a defective product and thinking that a company owes you more than the price of the product for all the suffering you've had to endure.

Best of all, ending your post with "...?" There's a well-known Apple troll that uses the same punctuation. I wonder......
    Had you actually read the article instead of insulting, you would have noticed the back of my watch (ceramic) is scratched as well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    Besides that, before launching the actual lawsuit, I consulted with a few lawyers expert in that area. Sorry you feel attacked because your beloved company is being sued.

I have read the article. I’m replying to comments you’ve made here (like your links).

Melgross makes an excellent point - you shouldn’t be commenting online about an upcoming case. This is just common sense. Not only have you been commenting here, but I’ve seen you on other sites as well.

Your LinkedIn page states you’re going to Ryerson to get a BCom in Law & Business. Surely you must be aware of how stupid it is to discuss your case with strangers online before actually going to trial. Yet here you are....
    watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 72 of 84
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Sorry, but are you a fucking idiot?

I smell a fanboy! 

Yes, you have to be a fucking idiot not to realize they're talking about the ceramic case. In fact, the ENTIRE page is all about the ceramic case with no mention of the screen AT ALL. NOT ONCE.

I hope that's not actually your real name, because, damn, you have literally made a fool of yourself in front of millions. Not only did you make yourself look like a fool, but you come across as a spoiled little brat, whining over the mental stress you suffered over a defective product and thinking that a company owes you more than the price of the product for all the suffering you've had to endure.

Best of all, ending your post with "...?" There's a well-known Apple troll that uses the same punctuation. I wonder......

I have read the article. I’m replying to comments you’ve made here (like your links).

Melgross makes an excellent point - you shouldn’t be commenting online about an upcoming case. This is just common sense. Not only have you been commenting here, but I’ve seen you on other sites as well.

Your LinkedIn page states you’re going to Ryerson to get a BCom in Law & Business. Surely you must be aware of how stupid it is to discuss your case with strangers online before actually going to trial. Yet here you are....
    Actually, it’s a business strategy rather than a legal one. He knows he doesn’t have a chance in court (especially with the whole ‘mental anguish because I scratched my watch’ thing), so his best option is to troll the internet, shouting about the case as loud as he can in the hope that Apple will give him more money to avoid the negative publicity. 

StrangeDaysnetmage
  • Reply 73 of 84
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

"mental stress, and expenses that occurred because of the case in addition to the time of my life wasted that I will never get back,"

Just in case anyone wasn't sure of the definition of a first-world problem.
    netmage
  • Reply 74 of 84
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

You’re the reason why plastic bags have warning labels warning of suffocation if put over one’s head.

yes, that’s you.
    netmagedanhmacky the macky
  • Reply 75 of 84
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    sflocal said:

You’re the reason why plastic bags have warning labels warning of suffocation if put over one’s head.

yes, that’s you.
    Or perhaps maybe the, do not eat pizza frozen on the back of the box...
    netmagemacky the macky
  • Reply 76 of 84
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

Having dealt with lawyers many time in the course of business, I can tell you that you can’t count on what they say in an informal setting. In addition, lawyers will take on cases where they think there’s a possibility of making a landfall. They play the odds. Even if they think you’re wrong, the possibility of a win in some of those cases more than offsets the losses.

but Apple’s page is just talking about the case. As that is understood, neither the back with the sensors, or the sapphire cover is included in their statement about scratches. The back is a different ceramic than the rest of the case. You are interpreting this in your favor.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 77 of 84
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    macxpress said:
    sflocal said:

yes, that’s you.
    Or perhaps maybe the, do not eat pizza frozen on the back of the box...
    And “keep away from open flames” on gas cans.
    netmage
  • Reply 78 of 84
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

Are you for real? The quote about not scratching is specifically about the ceramic Edition case. I already quoted it for you in full. 

ceramic is more than four times as hard as stainless steel — with a refined finish that won’t scratch or tarnish.”
    netmage
  • Reply 79 of 84
    melgross said:
    Reasonable care.  And what exactly is the loop he’s talking about.  It that some part of one of the bands?  
    The Milano Loop band?
    I saw them in a speakeasy in the 20s. Not bad, too much accordion though. 
    StrangeDaysIreneW
  • Reply 80 of 84
    aegean said:
    melgross said:

What are you even talking about? AI is a US-centric site, this is not a US court case. The distinction is normal, and there is no prejudice against Canadians.
    Maybe Aegean is Canadian and embarrassed that you pointed out the plaintiff and lawsuit are in Canada.