Samsung pushing hard for 'A13' chip orders from Apple

Posted:
in iPhone
Though effectively shut out of Apple processor manufacturing for years, Samsung is allegedly making a hard push to win back some chip orders from TSMC in 2019.

Apple's expected 2018 iPhone lineup.
Apple's expected 2018 iPhone lineup.

To achieve that goal Samsung is in "full throttle" development of InFO (integrated fan-out) packaging technology, and also claims to be ahead of TSMC in production using 7-nanometer extreme ultraviolet lithography, or EUV, according to DigiTimes sources. TSMC's latest InFO technology has reportedly cleared verification from Apple, allowing it to snap up "A12" processor orders for this year's iPhones.

Samsung has even dropped its order quotes for EUV by 20 percent, hoping to attract business from a variety of companies, but supposedly with "little response." This is thought to be because of quality and yield risks with 7-nanometer EUV, something that TSMC is still struggling with. TSMC may not fully integrate EUV into production until it moves to 5-nanometer chips.

Even Samsung could potentially focus its initial EUV use on chips for its own Galaxy S10 phones, despite the appeal of a client as large as Apple.

TSMC has boasted that its InFO method reduces the thickness of chip packaging while improving processor speed and power dissipation. EUV is an advanced method of printing the actual circuitry, but complex for a variety of reasons, such as requiring a vacuum due to the fact that all matter absorbs EUV radiation.

Samsung was once the exclusive manufacturer of Apple's A-series processors for iPhones and iPads. As the two companies increased competition and legal battles, though, Apple began migrating to TSMC, which now enjoys a monopoly over supply. That could be a reason for Apple to bring Samsung back in, since it could force chip prices down.

Samsung is still enjoying business from Apple however as the exclusive supplier of display panels for the iPhone X. The company remains the only OLED manufacturer with capacity to meet Apple demand, and is expected to hold onto that role with 2018 iPhones, though the mix could diversify in 2019.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Apple should not subsidize Samsung’s fabs, make them pay full price if they want to fab them
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 39
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,281member
    The cost curve for developing and deploying new semiconductor manufacturing processes is exploding. From what I've read about EUV, it is incredibly difficult to implement and the only reason it's being considered is that all alternatives are even more difficult. 

I would not be at all surprised if one of the big chipmakers finds itself incapable of keeping up in this race. And the chipmaker to fall behind may very well be Intel, inconceivable as that might have been 5 years ago. By missing out on mobile, Intel has shut itself out of the revenue stream that can fund these increasingly expensive process nodes. 

watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 3 of 39
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Samsung is dishonest. They don't deserve to get Apple's business.
    mcdaveolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 39
    I agree. I know Apple has to be cautious about supplier monopolies and unit pricing, but I don’t want any more of my iPhone purchase going to Samsung. Cheering for TSMC, good luck guys!
    racerhomie3macky the mackymcdavejony0olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 39
    nunzy said:
    The only honesty that matters here is their ability to meet their contractual obligations and delivery targets as a supplier.
    nunzyavon b7Soligregg thurmansingularitymuthuk_vanalingamchasmAlex1N
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    nunzy said:
    The only honesty that matters here is their ability to meet their contractual obligations and delivery targets as a supplier.
    Pretty much. 
    nunzymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 39
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    nunzy said:
      that that sounds like something that Samsung would say.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    TSMC don't make phone or tablet or wearable or whatever Apple makes/sells to compete with Apple. Unless it is absolutely necessary, apple don;t want to give Samsung chip business. Let Samsung bleed, sunk more money into there fab.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    “DigiTimes”... smdh.  :(
    chasmAlex1N
  • Reply 10 of 39
    nunzy said:

What about Samsung getting a detailed look at Apples chip designs, which could then find their way into Samsungs own chips?
    entropysolswatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 11 of 39
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    nunzy said:
    I'd love to see Samsung get the boot for their overall unscrupulous actions, but if they can deliver a better product than TSMC then I say Apple should keep using Samsung.
    nunzymuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 12 of 39
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    nunzy said:
    Well then they blew that long ago. 

By doing this:

https://www.theverge.com/2013/11/9/5084250/judge-orders-samsung-explain-itself-apple-nokia-licensing-leaks

And this:

https://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/03/judge_denies_apple_request_for_sanctions_against_samsung_over_evidence_leak

And more. 

Fool me twice and you know......

watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 13 of 39
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    nunzy said:
    You’re assuming Samsung has ethics.  Remember when Samsung’s chip heads were forwarding Apple’s proprietary information to their mobile heads?

Samsung deserves to burn.
    entropyswatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 14 of 39
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    nunzy said:

What about Samsung getting a detailed look at Apples chip designs, which could then find their way into Samsungs own chips?
    Lowball the bid to get Apple's business.
    Fab A series chips
    Steal design information
    Use the information in their own products.
    Apple Sues Samsung
    Samsung ties the suit up in court for decades while raking in billions.

Sounds like Samsung's style.
    Cesar Battistini Mazieroberndogjony0entropyswatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 15 of 39
    After what they did with the Oled screens I would never want anything to do with them again.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 39
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Why should Apple give any of its money to Samsung who still to this day continues to copy almost everything Apple does for their own products and STILL has their childish ads going after the silliest things reported wrong with the iPhone? 

If I were Apple, I would look to not only try to take smartphone sales away, but also hurt them in other areas such as not using Samsung for anything involving any iPhone model where all possible. 
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 17 of 39
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    macxpress said:
    Why should Apple give any of its money to Samsung who still to this day continues to copy almost everything Apple does for their own products and STILL has their childish ads going after the silliest things reported wrong with the iPhone? 

If I were Apple, I would look to not only try to take smartphone sales away, but also hurt them in other areas such as not using Samsung for anything involving any iPhone model where all possible. 
    I found it funny Samsung is trying to say waiting for software updates to install is bad thing and Samsung does not require updates. Also they tried to imply that Apple wallet for like boarding passes is slow, when in fact isthe opposite  true, I always see people fiddling with their Samsung or Android phones at gate.
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 18 of 39
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    nunzy said:
    Too blinkered.  Why befriend a thief who gives with one hand and takes more with the other?
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 19 of 39
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    maestro64 said:
    macxpress said:

I found it funny Samsung is trying to say waiting for software updates to install is bad thing and Samsung does not require updates. Also they tried to imply that Apple wallet for like boarding passes is slow, when in fact isthe opposite  true, I always see people fiddling with their Samsung or Android phones at gate.
    I just used my iPhone for my boarding passes a few weeks ago when I went to Orlando and it worked perfect. It was very responsive and actually appeared right on the lock screen so I never needed to unlock my phone just to get the barcode up. It actually made things so much easier. I usually have to dig through my carryon trying to find the damn boarding pass. 
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 20 of 39
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    If Samsung can drop the entire Note 7 and come out relatively unscathed and Apple can delay the big screen iPhone 6 and also keep making the iPhone 8 while the X in in production, not to mention forgoing OLED screens for so long then it would seem that with iPhones having reached the point that they have, one (meaning me) wonders why they just don't skip a 7nm process and wait for TSMC to get their 5nm online. 
    watto_cobra