Apple issues first public betas of iOS 12 and tvOS 12

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2018
Apple on Monday released the first public beta versions of its next-generation iOS 12 and tvOS 12 operating systems, offering brave consumers a chance to participate in the software testing process ahead of an expected launch this fall.

iOS 12

Announced at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference earlier this month, beta versions of iOS 12 and tvOS 12 were seeded to developers exactly three weeks ago on June 4. Coders also gained access to macOS Mojave and watchOS 5.

Both software versions are available to download from the Apple Beta Software Program website.

iOS 12

Headlining today's beta series is iOS 12. Unlike previous milestone releases that include redesigned user interfaces and paradigm-shifting functionality, Apple is looking to push its mobile operating system further with a few key feature additions and backend tweaks.

In an onstage preview at WWDC 2018, Apple touted iOS 12's compatibility with older hardware, often a bone of contention with upgraders loath to upgrade due to inevitable performance slowdowns. With iOS 12, however, Apple is making a concerted effort to boost performance of both contemporary and legacy iPhone and iPad devices. Indeed, AppleInsider testing showed speed improvements when updating an iPhone X from iOS 11 to the first iOS 12 developer beta.

In addition to performance enhancements, first party apps and services are receiving an overhaul, from Siri to Apple Pay and Photos. For example, Siri will gain new processing capabilities and integrations with third-party apps thanks to the new Shortcuts app. Not yet available to beta testers, Shortcuts provides a framework to easily create complex Siri commands that incorporate multiple commands.

For example, a Shortcut demonstrated onstage at WWDC triggered a variety of actions, including retrieving location and traffic information, turning on HomeKit appliances, sending a text and opening a streaming radio station, all with the voice command "going home."

System-level improvements are also inbound. New tools located in Settings allows users to keep track of app usage, time spent on their device, time their children spend on their devices and more. Designed to develop and maintain healthy usage habits, Screen Time and updated Do Not Disturb functions keep track of usage patterns in granular detail and present the ability to set limitations or restrictions based on time.

First-party augmented reality also gets a boost with ARKit 2.0 a protocol that allows for multi-user experiences. Along with the updated framework, Apple is pushing the new USDZ file format for better handling of 3D image data files.

Other new features include customizable Memoji characters, group FaceTime calls, the AR-powered Measure app and much more.

tvOS 12

Though not the recipient of sweeping changes and major feature additions, Apple TV is due for a few changes this fall when tvOS 12 goes live for consumers. Support for Dolby Atmos surround sound is coming to Apple TV 4K models, while Apple is working with cable providers to streamline the login process for third-party media apps.

New Aerial Screensaver assets will also arrive alongside tvOS 12, with users now able to browse through the available list of images with a swipe of their Siri remote.

A word of warning

As with any beta release, Apple's iOS 12, macOS Mojave and tvOS 12 seeds are nowhere near stable and should therefore not be installed on daily drivers. Installing and running beta software on mission critical machines is not recommended. Users should only test drive new software on a secondary iPhone or Mac, preferably one that does not contain important data.

AppleInsider outlined the pitfalls of beta testing when developer versions of Apple's next-gen software went live, noting all risk lies with the user when evaluating these early software versions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    A modest request: With these annual updates all having complimentary features I wish Apple would stop using version numbers for marking these OSes to customers. I'd like see them all be given the same branding: MacOS Mojave, iOS Mojave, tvOS Mojave, watchOS Mojave.

Not only do I think that this would remove some of the complexity of remembering the version numbers (which would still be visible in the About section for each app, along with build numbers), but it may help lead to more sales if people using older versions of the OS see that they have, say, an Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV on Mojave, but their Mac can only get Sierra.
    edited June 2018 michaelahlersMisterKitelijahgAlex1N
  • Reply 2 of 18
    I just installed beta 4 of iOS 11.4.1. When using software update, iOS 12 is nowhere to be found. My TV did update to tvOS 12, but iphone and iPad are on 11.4.1. Should I delete the beta profile then reinstall it?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I just installed beta 4 of iOS 11.4.1. When using software update, iOS 12 is nowhere to be found. My TV did update to tvOS 12, but iphone and iPad are on 11.4.1. Should I delete the beta profile then reinstall it?
    Yes, you have to remove the existing profile, then install the new one. I just did that on my iPhone and it is downloading iOS 12 now.
    edited June 2018 SoliJaiOh81frantisekfastasleepAlex1N
  • Reply 4 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    Thanks for warning users about potential risks of using beta software. I am only one data point but I did not experience any major issues with the first developer beta of iOS 12 or macOS Mojave. The only beta that ever seriously wounded me (on a wound-able Mac) was macOS High Sierra beta 1 because it installed APFS on my Fusion boot drive which was like a dagger to the heart for the OS installation. It never fully recovered without a full wipe and reinstall from TimeMachine. A few months later the drive itself was rendered deceased for reasons unknown (beta stress?) and had to be replaced.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 5 of 18
    I just did that. iOS 12 downloading now, too!
    appleismymiddlename
  • Reply 6 of 18
    EddyMacEddyMac Posts: 11member
    I've been running the iOS 12 Beta 2 on my iPhone 7 for several days now (through the Appleseed program) and haven't experienced any problems. Seems like a pretty stable release overall.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 7 of 18
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

I was having problem with the Mojave install. It was only showing up in the App Store just after running the Beta Enrolment Package. Unfortunately, I wasn't in a position to actually download it, but I copied the link (from the drop down menu next to "Download" on the Mojave page), and that should let me get back there when I have decent WiFi.

• Reply 8 of 18
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    A word of warning
    As with any beta release, Apple's iOS 12, macOS Mojave and tvOS 12 seeds are nowhere near stable and should therefore not be installed on daily drivers.

Yes. But this is the most stable version of an iOS  Beta that I’ve seen. I haven’t encountered a single problem on my iPhone X. Since I installed it last week and my iPad Pro is just as stable and that started on the first Beta. 

SoliMisterKit
  • Reply 9 of 18
    jdb8167 said:
    A word of warning
    As with any beta release, Apple's iOS 12, macOS Mojave and tvOS 12 seeds are nowhere near stable and should therefore not be installed on daily drivers.

Yes. But this is the most stable version of an iOS  Beta that I’ve seen. I haven’t encountered a single problem on my iPhone X. Since I installed it last week and my iPad Pro is just as stable and that started on the first Beta. 

There are some issues and their boilerplate warning is sound, but on a personal level I've never seen early betas be this stable or fast before. In many areas these are exceeding the stability of GMs.
    edited June 2018 elijahgAlex1N
  • Reply 10 of 18
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Bear in mind that the people here who are saying “the iOS 12 beta has been very stable for me“ or similar are not really poking and prodding the obscure and random corners of the release that a developer would. Apple doesn’t make beta releases available to the public without some quality testing to ensure that there won’t be massive failures, because they know the crap they would catch for that. But as you poke and prod, you’ll find there are still bugs, missing features, and much more.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 11 of 18
    The Public Beta of Mojave is now available for download...
    Just installing it now...

edited June 2018
  • Reply 12 of 18
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Soli said:
    A modest request: With these annual updates all having complimentary features I wish Apple would stop using version numbers for marking these OSes to customers. I'd like see them all be given the same branding: MacOS Mojave, iOS Mojave, tvOS Mojave, watchOS Mojave.

Not only do I think that this would remove some of the complexity of remembering the version numbers (which would still be visible in the About section for each app, along with build numbers), but it may help lead to more sales if people using older versions of the OS see that they have, say, an Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV on Mojave, but their Mac can only get Sierra.
    I would recommend the exact opposite:   Get rid of the names and just go with numbers.  Names tend to be more for marketing because "MacOs 22.0" just doesn't have the same panache as "High Sierra".  But, for me, a number is easier to remember and provides context when reviewing prior year's releases...

But, as Apple tends to release them all together with annual updates, it might be good synchronize those numbers between products:   Say, next year, start them all off as xxx 100.0
    longpathAlex1N
  • Reply 13 of 18
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Do you guys see any marked speed improvement of iOS 12 on iPhones?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    This is a pretty high quality beta. Would wholly recommend to anyone reading this site. 

AI and Apple are being over cautious.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    The Public Beta of Mojave is now available for download...
    Just installing it now...

Not yet for me. Shows as still "Coming Soon".
  • Reply 16 of 18
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    I really felt like I had little to lose so I put the beta on a mini 2. It is a welcome update. The mini 2 is actually fun to use again. Very responsive indeed.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 17 of 18
    clarker99clarker99 Posts: 230member
    Installed on the iPad Air. It is usable again. Love swipe up to get out of apps like on the iPhone X. Was gonna upgrade to the new iPad 9.7 but this may get me through another year.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    AI_lias said:
    Do you guys see any marked speed improvement of iOS 12 on iPhones?
    Absolutely. Same for watchOS and Apple TV.