Cheaper MacBook Air, Face ID iPads, new Apple Watch coming later in 2018, report claims

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2018
Apple market analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is back again with a new report, answering some investors' main questions about the 2018 Apple product lineup.

Much of the report supplied to AppleInsider clarifies author Ming-Chi Kuo's previous reports on the Apple ecosystem, and focuses on Apple suppliers. However, there are key tidbits that can be gleaned from the report.

Kuo is expecting a "new low-price MacBook Air" still -- which he previously claimed in March. Also still expected by the analyst is an Apple Watch with approximately the same size, but a larger screen.

Kuo also wrote about the 2018 iPhone lineup in the most recent note. He reiterated his previous claims about the device, but expects that Apple's innovations in the space may not be clear to the supply chain until very close to release.

Ku believes that Apple's growth mostly comes from replacement demands in the high-end market, and new users on the low-end, as buttressed by a report from earlier on Tuesday. Slow growth is from there being "no significant replacement demands boosted by new models after the iPhone 6."

"We believe that Apple is still the leading company in the consumer electronics sector and has surpassed its competitors by a wide margin in terms of innovative user experience and ecosystem development," writes Kuo. "The leading advantages will benefit it when innovating with new applications."

The three iPhone models currently speculated to arrive this fall include two models with OLED screens measuring 6.5 inches and 5.8 inches, while a third is equipped with a 6.1-inch TFT LCD. Most sources now claim that all three will have the TrueDepth camera array and use Face ID, but the LCD model will be singled out as a cost-effective model while the OLED versions will have more premium pricing and specifications.

There is some speculation that the LCD model will be delayed, due to production yield issues surrounding its touchscreen functionality, but the situation is apparently improving. Bottlenecks in integrating the TrueDepth camera array into the LCD screen are also said to be easing, removing another hurdle that could cause manufacturing delays.

Foxconn will continue to be the main iPhone assembler this year, with it said to handle all 5.8-inch OLED units and 80 to 90 percent of the 6.5-inch OLED version, as well as 30 percent of LCD model orders. Pegatron is identified as taking 60 percent of the LCD orders and between 10 and 15 percent of the 6.5-inch OLED model orders, while Wistron makes up the remainder.

Apple CEO Tim Cook has previously spoken out about such reporting and supply chain analysis, advising for industry observers to avoid relying too heavily on these types of rumors. "The supply chain is very complex, and we obviously have multiple sources for things," Cook advised in 2013, adding that some reports could be based on a "single data point," and basing assumptions on limited quantities of data is not recommended.

Amplifying Cook's words of caution, reports in January claimed Apple had cut its iPhone X production, citing slower-than-expected holiday sales" among other claims. On February 1, Apple revealed it had continued to improve its holiday quarter revenue year-on-year, and though overall iPhone sales had dropped, it had reduced by only 1.2 percent year-on-year with a holiday quarter with one less week than the previous year while simultaneously achieving the highest average selling price of $796.42.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Smartphone sales have been down overall.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Can't wait to upgrade to the 6.5 OLED. 

• Reply 3 of 48
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    If the new MacBook Air is in the pipeline, it will likely have the new, flawed, butterfly keyboard and the USB-C ports that nobody wanted.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    melgross said:
    Smartphone sales have been down overall.
    I think they’ll get a big boost from the larger OLED screen. 
  • Reply 5 of 48
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    These seem like reasonable expectations for 2018.

Can't wait to upgrade to the 6.5 OLED. 
    I'm oddly on my 2nd year of my iPhone 7 and I'm not sure I'll get a new iPhone later this year either. I'm more inclined to get a new Apple Watch if it has features that I want, or even just keep the one I have. I hope that 3rd-party audio from Spotify and SiriuxXM are quick to launch independent apps so I can help distance my reliance on my iPhone.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 48
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I'm hesitant to buy an iPhone without a Home Button. I've read a number of reviews that explain how to use the various features without a Home Button and it sounds horrible.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    volcan said:
    I'm hesitant to buy an iPhone without a Home Button. I've read a number of reviews that explain how to use the various features without a Home Button and it sounds horrible.
    It's never "read" great, to me, but in use it's quickly learned and it natural. Everyone I know with an iPhone X loves it.
    mike1fastasleepdoozydozenbb-15
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Soli said:
    It's never "read" great, to me, but in use it's quickly learned and it natural. Everyone I know with an iPhone X loves it.
    Of course I haven't tried it but Apple Pay sounds really clumsy. I've long disliked the right side button location because often when adjusting the volume with the buttons opposing one another, I end up turning off the display instead. Now with double clicking the right side button to activate Apple pay it just sounds even worse and quite a bit more tedious because you have to double click to bring up your wallet and then Face ID. Also I've found that Apple Pay usually works best if you place the top of the iPhone directly under the payment logo which positions the phone in a downward angle. Does Face ID work at that angle? With a Home button and Touch ID it is a single step and so easy. You don't even need to unlock your phone or bring up your wallet. It just works. The new way seems unnecessarily complicated as does virtually every other feature I use the Home Button for.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    volcan said:
    I would try it in a store of some sort that has one on display and see it for yourself. Yes, its different, but it just takes getting used to. Give a true chance. Don't just try it for 60 seconds and then put it down and make your decision based off that 60 seconds. That's not being honest with yourself. 

Going forward, I see the home button going away from all future iPhones eventually. Obviously not this, probably not next year as you'll most likely still have the iPhone 8 available. 
    edited June 2018 chasmcornchip
  • Reply 10 of 48
    volcan said:
    Soli said:
    Of course I haven't tried it but Apple Pay sounds really clumsy. I've long disliked the right side button location because often when adjusting the volume with the buttons opposing one another, I end up turning off the display instead. Now with double clicking the right side button to activate Apple pay it just sounds even worse and quite a bit more tedious because you have to double click to bring up your wallet and then Face ID. Also I've found that Apple Pay usually works best if you place the top of the iPhone directly under the payment logo which positions the phone in a downward angle. Does Face ID work at that angle? With a Home button and Touch ID it is a single step and so easy. You don't even need to unlock your phone or bring up your wallet. It just works. The new way seems unnecessarily complicated as does virtually every other feature I use the Home Button for.
    I use ApplePay on my Watch almost exclusively these days so I’m used to double-tapping my Watch for a payment.
    edited June 2018 chasmdoozydozencornchip
  • Reply 11 of 48
    lmac said:
    If the new MacBook Air is in the pipeline, it will likely have the new, flawed, butterfly keyboard and the USB-C ports that nobody wanted.
    Everybody wants USB C. So that’s not true. But one port on the Macbook isn’t enough. If they had two, most people would be happy. Apple has also been looking into what they describe as “stuck” keys. Possibly they have a solution. They certainly will for a new model.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Soli said:
    I use ApplePay on my Watch almost exclusively these days so I’m used to double-tapping my Watch for a payment.
    I used to do that as well but my Watch screen died and it is out of warranty. Original SS 42mm. I didn't like it very much anyway so probably not buying another one.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    melgross said:
    lmac said:
    Everybody wants USB C. So that’s not true. But one port on the Macbook isn’t enough. If they had two, most people would be happy. Apple has also been looking into what they describe as “stuck” keys. Possibly they have a solution. They certainly will for a new model.
    While I never did get use to the 12" MacBook's keyboard during a trial run (which is fine as not every product should be geared toward my specific needs), my biggest complaint was only having a single USB-C port when it's such a versatile port interface. Long before that MacBook was announced I suggested the USB-C on each side of the device would offer a great number of advantages moving forward. I was glad to see that Google's first foray with a USB-C ChromeBook came with a USB-C port on each side.
    edited June 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 48
    volcan said:
    Soli said:
    It’s anything but clumsy. Admittedly I mostly use it with my phone instead of my watch, just because using the phone is automatic. I’m sure I’ll get used to using the watch at some point. I don’t find holding the watch up and pressing the button to be difficult. It’s a lot less effort than getting my wallet out and pulling my AMEX card out, putting it into the slot, pulling it out and sticking into my wallet again, which I then have to put back into my pocket.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    lmac said:
    While I never did get use to the 12" MacBook's keyboard during a trial run (which is fine as not every product should be geared toward my specific needs), my biggest complaint was only having a single USB-C port when it's such a versatile port interface. Long before that MacBook was announced had I suggested the USB-C on each side of the device would offer a great number of advantages moving forward. I was glad to see that Google's first foray with a USB-C ChromeBook came with a USB-C port on each side.
    This is one of the decisions that Apple makes that I don’t understand. They said that there was no room due to the large stepped battery. But when seeing a breakdown, I could see that Apple could have, with a small redesign, put a port on the other side as well. It’s inexplicable.

but when Schiller stated that they were removing the SD slot from the Macbook Pro, because of low use, I immediately thought of two things. One was that use must be around maybe 5% or so, for it to be so low that Apple would remove it, and that if they updated the port to be the very latest, every time a new standard came out, more people would be using it.

but then he said that use was “just” 20%, and I was stunned. That’s a fairly big number, and would be bigger if they did update it to the latest. Of course people won’t use it if the latest cards for their cameras, and other devices won’t work with it!

so I don’t know what’s going on there, but it seems as though they want to remove as many hardware complexities as possible. We all know that Apple’s long term vision is a wireless world, but for some things, it’s just not here yet.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 48
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    volcan said:
    Took about 30 minutes to forget what a home button was.
    Solifastasleepkudubb-15cornchip
  • Reply 17 of 48
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    volcan said:
    Soli said:
    Again, you have to use it. It's not clumsy at all. I use Apple Pay with Face ID all the time and have never had an issue with the angle of the phone. It actually seems to be a separate process. When I place the phone near the terminal, the phone asks for  Face ID. It doesn't seem to matter if I reposition the phone slightly.

One can quibble over the placement of the button opposite of the volume controls for several reasons, but it works very well with Apple Pay.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    lmac said:
    After the heat Apple has taken for the crappy keyboards i really doubt that we will see butterfly keyboards.  The keyboards where crap before they even started breaking down.   

As for the USB-C ports, there is nothing wrong with them.   The problem is the complete deletion of all other ports which is beyond stupid.  They need to retain one old form factor USB port, the SD card slot and analog in and out.  

If we are lucky the new AIR will be ARM based.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 48
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    lmac said:
    While I never did get use to the 12" MacBook's keyboard during a trial run (which is fine as not every product should be geared toward my specific needs), my biggest complaint was only having a single USB-C port when it's such a versatile port interface. Long before that MacBook was announced had I suggested the USB-C on each side of the device would offer a great number of advantages moving forward. I was glad to see that Google's first foray with a USB-C ChromeBook came with a USB-C port on each side.
    This is one of the decisions that Apple makes that I don’t understand. They said that there was no room due to the large stepped battery. But when seeing a breakdown, I could see that Apple could have, with a small redesign, put a port on the other side as well. It’s inexplicable.

but when Schiller stated that they were removing the SD slot from the Macbook Pro, because of low use, I immediately thought of two things. One was that use must be around maybe 5% or so, for it to be so low that Apple would remove it, and that if they updated the port to be the very latest, every time a new standard came out, more people would be using it.

but then he said that use was “just” 20%, and I was stunned. That’s a fairly big number, and would be bigger if they did update it to the latest. Of course people won’t use it if the latest cards for their cameras, and other devices won’t work with it!

so I don’t know what’s going on there, but it seems as though they want to remove as many hardware complexities as possible. We all know that Apple’s long term vision is a wireless world, but for some things, it’s just not here yet.
    It is ignorant crap like this that has me running an HP laptop since the beginning of the year.   Frankly ignorant is the right word here if a business manager thinks screwing over 20% of the user base is good management.  It is pretty disgusting if you ask me.    

I really dont know what is wrong at Apple but they really seemed to have lost all sense of direction when it comes toMacs.  They have now designed of a half dozen machines that seem to be destined for sales failures.  It makes no sense at all to me.  

Sometime ago i got a survey from them asking a lot of questions about Macs and the fearures used.   The questions ask completely perplexed me as there should have been no reason to ask them in the first plac if they had any idea on how laptops or computers are used in general.  This especially considering that dual boot often means running Linux of Windows to run software and hardware that doesnt run under. Mac OS.   Take away ports and you take away the ability to usefully employ the missing hardware.  

Not to sound like that guy but i really believe i could  spec better hardware than the crap Apple has been putting out as Macs.  
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamjcs2305
  • Reply 20 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    volcan said:
    Soli said:
    Herein is the problem with forming opinions on things you haven’t used. AP on X is seamless and a breeze, every bit as easy as on my previous iphones. 

- remove X from pocket
    - double-click side button as you raise arm
    - tap on POS terminal

...that’s it. Face ID starts scanning for your face when you double-click the side button, so by the time you’re tapping the POS terminal it has or is authenticating your face. There’s no extra steps or awkwardness. 
    Soliwilliamlondonargonautfastasleepkuducornchip