Cheaper MacBook Air, Face ID iPads, new Apple Watch coming later in 2018, report claims

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,865member

    wizard69 said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    lmac said:
    If the new MacBook Air is in the pipeline, it will likely have the new, flawed, butterfly keyboard and the USB-C ports that nobody wanted.
    Everybody wants USB C. So that’s not true. But one port on the Macbook isn’t enough. If they had two, most people would be happy. Apple has also been looking into what they describe as “stuck” keys. Possibly they have a solution. They certainly will for a new model.
    While I never did get use to the 12" MacBook's keyboard during a trial run (which is fine as not every product should be geared toward my specific needs), my biggest complaint was only having a single USB-C port when it's such a versatile port interface. Long before that MacBook was announced had I suggested the USB-C on each side of the device would offer a great number of advantages moving forward. I was glad to see that Google's first foray with a USB-C ChromeBook came with a USB-C port on each side.
    This is one of the decisions that Apple makes that I don’t understand. They said that there was no room due to the large stepped battery. But when seeing a breakdown, I could see that Apple could have, with a small redesign, put a port on the other side as well. It’s inexplicable.

    but when Schiller stated that they were removing the SD slot from the Macbook Pro, because of low use, I immediately thought of two things. One was that use must be around maybe 5% or so, for it to be so low that Apple would remove it, and that if they updated the port to be the very latest, every time a new standard came out, more people would be using it.

    but then he said that use was “just” 20%, and I was stunned. That’s a fairly big number, and would be bigger if they did update it to the latest. Of course people won’t use it if the latest cards for their cameras, and other devices won’t work with it!

    so I don’t know what’s going on there, but it seems as though they want to remove as many hardware complexities as possible. We all know that Apple’s long term vision is a wireless world, but for some things, it’s just not here yet.
    It is ignorant crap like this that has me running an HP laptop since the beginning of the year.   Frankly ignorant is the right word here if a business manager thinks screwing over 20% of the user base is good management.  It is pretty disgusting if you ask me.    

    I really dont know what is wrong at Apple but they really seemed to have lost all sense of direction

    ...

    Not to sound like that guy but i really believe i could  spec better hardware than the crap Apple has been putting out as Macs.  
    Removing a consumer memory card that only 2 out of 10 people use is...Disgusting? Wow. Sorry man but that sort of use is a prime indicator that it won’t be long for an Apple product and the space better utilized. Get a plug in reader. 

    Apple hasnt lost direction at all. They’re just going in a different direction than you, and that’s fine. Get yourself that HP or Alienware or whatever it is you need and be happy. Why continue making yourself a victim?

    And yeah, if you think spec’ing out a PC clone makes it as good as Mac, you really don’t understand Macs very well. 
    macxpresswilliamlondonfastasleep
  • Reply 22 of 48
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Removing a consumer memory card that only 2 out of 10 people use is...Disgusting?
    It still baffles me why some manufacturers still have that "eraser" pointing device in the middle of their laptop keyboards. I think I've found one person during my lifetime that likes it or uses it.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 48
    volcan said:
    Soli said:
    It's never "read" great, to me, but in use it's quickly learned and it natural. Everyone I know with an iPhone X loves it.
    Of course I haven't tried it but Apple Pay sounds really clumsy. I've long disliked the right side button location because often when adjusting the volume with the buttons opposing one another, I end up turning off the display instead. Now with double clicking the right side button to activate Apple pay it just sounds even worse and quite a bit more tedious because you have to double click to bring up your wallet and then Face ID. Also I've found that Apple Pay usually works best if you place the top of the iPhone directly under the payment logo which positions the phone in a downward angle. Does Face ID work at that angle? With a Home button and Touch ID it is a single step and so easy. You don't even need to unlock your phone or bring up your wallet. It just works. The new way seems unnecessarily complicated as does virtually every other feature I use the Home Button for.
    You can unlock the phone and authenticate it, then place it near the terminal. It doesn't have to be all done in one single step. In fact, after authenticating with Touch ID, you can remove your finger from the sensor and even wait a minute to actually complete the transaction by placing the phone near the terminal. I never leave my thumb on the phone after its unlocked and ready to pay. 
  • Reply 24 of 48
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I expect the 6.5" iPhone will replace the iPad Mini, which will be quietly dropped.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,290member
    I can't comment much on FaceID since I don't own an iPhone X but those people I know who do have one have no trouble with it at all and say it is both faster than Touch ID and was very easy to use (and works at various angles). The big thing you learn quickly is that you don't have to wait for the "unlock" symbol, you just swipe up immediately -- it's that fast.

    I had to learn this with Siri -- don't say "hey Siri" and then wait for it to acknowledge, just start dictating or commanding immediately.

    I will comment on Apple Pay, however. I use it all the time on my Apple Watch and it is fast and wonderful. I occasionally use it on my iPhone and while relatively more awkward than using it on the Watch, the iPhone version also is very natural and quick now for me.
    edited June 2018 StrangeDaysRayz2016
  • Reply 26 of 48
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,290member
    Also (re: Ming-Chi Kuo) -- return of the fearless predictions! It's like a race between him and Gurman for who can come up with the safest predictions (with one exception: I don't think the MBA is coming back in anything like its present form, or indeed as a brand at all -- but that's Kuo's one less-than-entirely-safe prediction).

    New iPhones in the fall, you say? Larger/faster/better than the present ones, you say? And FaceID coming to iPads?? Wait -- AND a new model of Apple Watch??? I for one am SHOCKED! Shocked, I say :D
    patchythepirateRayz2016kudu
  • Reply 27 of 48
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,418member
    Ok, where in the article did it mention iPad with FaceID? 
  • Reply 28 of 48
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    netrox said:
    Ok, where in the article did it mention iPad with FaceID? 
    Yeah, was looking for that too and iPads aren't even mentioned outside of the headline.

    Also, I will eat my shoe if the Air sticks around much longer with any changes other than a quiet bump to lower manufacturing costs or something. I still say the Air is a dead man walking, and will go away as soon as the MacBook can reach $999.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    KBChicagoKBChicago Posts: 21unconfirmed, member
    volcan said:
    Soli said:
    It's never "read" great, to me, but in use it's quickly learned and it natural. Everyone I know with an iPhone X loves it.
    Of course I haven't tried it but Apple Pay sounds really clumsy. I've long disliked the right side button location because often when adjusting the volume with the buttons opposing one another, I end up turning off the display instead. Now with double clicking the right side button to activate Apple pay it just sounds even worse and quite a bit more tedious because you have to double click to bring up your wallet and then Face ID. Also I've found that Apple Pay usually works best if you place the top of the iPhone directly under the payment logo which positions the phone in a downward angle. Does Face ID work at that angle? With a Home button and Touch ID it is a single step and so easy. You don't even need to unlock your phone or bring up your wallet. It just works. The new way seems unnecessarily complicated as does virtually every other feature I use the Home Button for.
    I love Apple Pay. I used to use it on my iPhone all the time. Now I use it on my watch. It's the same double-tap. I don't even think twice about it.
    bb-15
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

    wizard69 said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    lmac said:
    If the new MacBook Air is in the pipeline, it will likely have the new, flawed, butterfly keyboard and the USB-C ports that nobody wanted.
    Everybody wants USB C. So that’s not true. But one port on the Macbook isn’t enough. If they had two, most people would be happy. Apple has also been looking into what they describe as “stuck” keys. Possibly they have a solution. They certainly will for a new model.
    While I never did get use to the 12" MacBook's keyboard during a trial run (which is fine as not every product should be geared toward my specific needs), my biggest complaint was only having a single USB-C port when it's such a versatile port interface. Long before that MacBook was announced had I suggested the USB-C on each side of the device would offer a great number of advantages moving forward. I was glad to see that Google's first foray with a USB-C ChromeBook came with a USB-C port on each side.
    This is one of the decisions that Apple makes that I don’t understand. They said that there was no room due to the large stepped battery. But when seeing a breakdown, I could see that Apple could have, with a small redesign, put a port on the other side as well. It’s inexplicable.

    but when Schiller stated that they were removing the SD slot from the Macbook Pro, because of low use, I immediately thought of two things. One was that use must be around maybe 5% or so, for it to be so low that Apple would remove it, and that if they updated the port to be the very latest, every time a new standard came out, more people would be using it.

    but then he said that use was “just” 20%, and I was stunned. That’s a fairly big number, and would be bigger if they did update it to the latest. Of course people won’t use it if the latest cards for their cameras, and other devices won’t work with it!

    so I don’t know what’s going on there, but it seems as though they want to remove as many hardware complexities as possible. We all know that Apple’s long term vision is a wireless world, but for some things, it’s just not here yet.
    It is ignorant crap like this that has me running an HP laptop since the beginning of the year.   Frankly ignorant is the right word here if a business manager thinks screwing over 20% of the user base is good management.  It is pretty disgusting if you ask me.    

    I really dont know what is wrong at Apple but they really seemed to have lost all sense of direction

    ...

    Not to sound like that guy but i really believe i could  spec better hardware than the crap Apple has been putting out as Macs.  
    Removing a consumer memory card that only 2 out of 10 people use is...Disgusting? 
    Yes, you did an interesting thing there: you looked at 20% and thought what that really means in terms of users. Everyone else saw twenty and thought, “Wow that looks like a big number”.

    I looked at that and wondered why only 1 in 5 people were using it. The main reasons:

    More people taking pictures with phones rather than cameras. 
    More people using iPads rather than laptops. 
    More cameras with network connectivity. 

    Apple will probably consider removing any function that is used by a quarter of their customers or less. 

    As an interesting aside, Jetbrains has been talking about some of their latest UI changes: flattening the icons, reducing the colour palette, and removing toolbar items that no one uses. (They use opt-in usage stats). Amongst the many buttons that were dropped were cut, copy and paste. 

    “Outrageous!” I thought. Then went back to the old version and realised that I’d removed them myself years before. 

  • Reply 31 of 48
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    linkman said:
    Removing a consumer memory card that only 2 out of 10 people use is...Disgusting?
    It still baffles me why some manufacturers still have that "eraser" pointing device in the middle of their laptop keyboards. I think I've found one person during my lifetime that likes it or uses it.
    That’s one more person than I’ve found then. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:
    volcan said:
    I'm hesitant to buy an iPhone without a Home Button. I've read a number of reviews that explain how to use the various features without a Home Button and it sounds horrible.
    It's never "read" great, to me, but in use it's quickly learned and it natural. Everyone I know with an iPhone X loves it.
    Tried it out in the shop. It recognised me with hat, without hat, with dark glasses, without dark glasses, smiling, frowning. It even recognised me from one of infamously frightening cavernous nostrils shot. 

    Amazing stuff. 
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Nameo_Nameo_ Posts: 34member
    Am I the only one waiting for the new iPP w/ less bezel and Face ID like the iPhone X? It seems like no one is excited or even cares about the iPP.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,655member
    Rayz2016 said:

    wizard69 said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    lmac said:
    If the new MacBook Air is in the pipeline, it will likely have the new, flawed, butterfly keyboard and the USB-C ports that nobody wanted.
    Everybody wants USB C. So that’s not true. But one port on the Macbook isn’t enough. If they had two, most people would be happy. Apple has also been looking into what they describe as “stuck” keys. Possibly they have a solution. They certainly will for a new model.
    While I never did get use to the 12" MacBook's keyboard during a trial run (which is fine as not every product should be geared toward my specific needs), my biggest complaint was only having a single USB-C port when it's such a versatile port interface. Long before that MacBook was announced had I suggested the USB-C on each side of the device would offer a great number of advantages moving forward. I was glad to see that Google's first foray with a USB-C ChromeBook came with a USB-C port on each side.
    This is one of the decisions that Apple makes that I don’t understand. They said that there was no room due to the large stepped battery. But when seeing a breakdown, I could see that Apple could have, with a small redesign, put a port on the other side as well. It’s inexplicable.

    but when Schiller stated that they were removing the SD slot from the Macbook Pro, because of low use, I immediately thought of two things. One was that use must be around maybe 5% or so, for it to be so low that Apple would remove it, and that if they updated the port to be the very latest, every time a new standard came out, more people would be using it.

    but then he said that use was “just” 20%, and I was stunned. That’s a fairly big number, and would be bigger if they did update it to the latest. Of course people won’t use it if the latest cards for their cameras, and other devices won’t work with it!

    so I don’t know what’s going on there, but it seems as though they want to remove as many hardware complexities as possible. We all know that Apple’s long term vision is a wireless world, but for some things, it’s just not here yet.
    It is ignorant crap like this that has me running an HP laptop since the beginning of the year.   Frankly ignorant is the right word here if a business manager thinks screwing over 20% of the user base is good management.  It is pretty disgusting if you ask me.    

    I really dont know what is wrong at Apple but they really seemed to have lost all sense of direction

    ...

    Not to sound like that guy but i really believe i could  spec better hardware than the crap Apple has been putting out as Macs.  
    Removing a consumer memory card that only 2 out of 10 people use is...Disgusting? 
    Yes, you did an interesting thing there: you looked at 20% and thought what that really means in terms of users. Everyone else saw twenty and thought, “Wow that looks like a big number”.

    I looked at that and wondered why only 1 in 5 people were using it. The main reasons:

    More people taking pictures with phones rather than cameras. 
    More people using iPads rather than laptops. 
    More cameras with network connectivity. 

    Apple will probably consider removing any function that is used by a quarter of their customers or less. 

    As an interesting aside, Jetbrains has been talking about some of their latest UI changes: flattening the icons, reducing the colour palette, and removing toolbar items that no one uses. (They use opt-in usage stats). Amongst the many buttons that were dropped were cut, copy and paste. 

    “Outrageous!” I thought. Then went back to the old version and realised that I’d removed them myself years before. 

    Does that mean the Touchbar is dead? ;-)
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Simon The DiverSimon The Diver Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    lmac said:
    If the new MacBook Air is in the pipeline, it will likely have the new, flawed, butterfly keyboard and the USB-C ports that nobody wanted.
    Can't see that happening . He said "new low-price MacBook Air." From that I'd expect a price drop and the product to be the same, except maybe a processor bump . Redesigning an Air to have the new keyboard and usb-c ports would be a strange, and expensive thing to do. Certainly it wouldn't help the machine become cheaper. Also its unlikely that Apple would go to that much trouble not do something about the only non retina screen in the lineup . At which point you essentially have a 13 inch MacBook which wouldn't sit well with a 12inch MacBook and a 13 inch MacBook pro in terms of product line up. The MacBook Air now only exists to be the cheap Mac portable. Given it weighs more than the MacBook, its a misnamed anomaly. At some stage it will die, I'd be surprised if it evolves.
    edited June 2018 williamlondonfastasleep
  • Reply 36 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    wizard69 said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    lmac said:
    If the new MacBook Air is in the pipeline, it will likely have the new, flawed, butterfly keyboard and the USB-C ports that nobody wanted.
    Everybody wants USB C. So that’s not true. But one port on the Macbook isn’t enough. If they had two, most people would be happy. Apple has also been looking into what they describe as “stuck” keys. Possibly they have a solution. They certainly will for a new model.
    While I never did get use to the 12" MacBook's keyboard during a trial run (which is fine as not every product should be geared toward my specific needs), my biggest complaint was only having a single USB-C port when it's such a versatile port interface. Long before that MacBook was announced had I suggested the USB-C on each side of the device would offer a great number of advantages moving forward. I was glad to see that Google's first foray with a USB-C ChromeBook came with a USB-C port on each side.
    This is one of the decisions that Apple makes that I don’t understand. They said that there was no room due to the large stepped battery. But when seeing a breakdown, I could see that Apple could have, with a small redesign, put a port on the other side as well. It’s inexplicable.

    but when Schiller stated that they were removing the SD slot from the Macbook Pro, because of low use, I immediately thought of two things. One was that use must be around maybe 5% or so, for it to be so low that Apple would remove it, and that if they updated the port to be the very latest, every time a new standard came out, more people would be using it.

    but then he said that use was “just” 20%, and I was stunned. That’s a fairly big number, and would be bigger if they did update it to the latest. Of course people won’t use it if the latest cards for their cameras, and other devices won’t work with it!

    so I don’t know what’s going on there, but it seems as though they want to remove as many hardware complexities as possible. We all know that Apple’s long term vision is a wireless world, but for some things, it’s just not here yet.
    It is ignorant crap like this that has me running an HP laptop since the beginning of the year.   Frankly ignorant is the right word here if a business manager thinks screwing over 20% of the user base is good management.  It is pretty disgusting if you ask me.    

    I really dont know what is wrong at Apple but they really seemed to have lost all sense of direction when it comes toMacs.  They have now designed of a half dozen machines that seem to be destined for sales failures.  It makes no sense at all to me.  

    Sometime ago i got a survey from them asking a lot of questions about Macs and the fearures used.   The questions ask completely perplexed me as there should have been no reason to ask them in the first plac if they had any idea on how laptops or computers are used in general.  This especially considering that dual boot often means running Linux of Windows to run software and hardware that doesnt run under. Mac OS.   Take away ports and you take away the ability to usefully employ the missing hardware.  


    Not to sound like that guy but i really believe i could  spec better hardware than the crap Apple has been putting out as Macs.  
    I hate to say it, but I agree. Why are these specific decisions being made. I don’t believe that it all esthetics, as some say. But Apple seems to be going for the larger mass market, and losing sight of their most loyal customers, who are power users.

    im waiting, increasingly impatiently for the new Mac Pro. I just don’t get what they’re doing there either, even though I’ve read about everything written about it, including interviews. For the “trash Can” Mac Pro, they could have updated it each year, which would have kept sales from collapsing, assuming they have. Instead, they just leave it. They could have also redesigned it if they thought the basic idea was sound,  by increasing the height 3 or 4 inches, and increasing the diameter by 3 inches. Not as small, but a quick calculation shows at least twice the thermal capacity or the original model, which solves a number of problems, and allows 4 boards inside instead of 3, which increases the ability to have 2 CPUs.

    its as though Apple found themselves in the headlights, and froze, just like a deer on the road. I hope they’ve had an awakening.
    edited June 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 37 of 48
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    melgross said:
    But Apple seems to be going for the larger mass market, and losing sight of their most loyal customers, who are power users.
    Catering to power users doesn't pay the bills. Besides what is a power user anyway? Cutting edge performance does what?  - Opens applications 2 seconds faster, runs 10 applications at the same time? How many mathematicians are there doing large number theory research who don't already have a rack of UNIX servers?

    Apple already conceded the professional video market when they axed FCP so even though just about any Mac "can" do video editing the pros left a long time ago.

    Originally Macs were mostly used by desktop publishers like myself. I don't really think of myself as a power user although everyone I associate with seems to. I'm making a comfortable living using Macs. I do DTP, web, video, app development and technical writing. Nothing to complain about here regarding Macs. Even older Macs still get the job done.


  • Reply 38 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

    wizard69 said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    lmac said:
    If the new MacBook Air is in the pipeline, it will likely have the new, flawed, butterfly keyboard and the USB-C ports that nobody wanted.
    Everybody wants USB C. So that’s not true. But one port on the Macbook isn’t enough. If they had two, most people would be happy. Apple has also been looking into what they describe as “stuck” keys. Possibly they have a solution. They certainly will for a new model.
    While I never did get use to the 12" MacBook's keyboard during a trial run (which is fine as not every product should be geared toward my specific needs), my biggest complaint was only having a single USB-C port when it's such a versatile port interface. Long before that MacBook was announced had I suggested the USB-C on each side of the device would offer a great number of advantages moving forward. I was glad to see that Google's first foray with a USB-C ChromeBook came with a USB-C port on each side.
    This is one of the decisions that Apple makes that I don’t understand. They said that there was no room due to the large stepped battery. But when seeing a breakdown, I could see that Apple could have, with a small redesign, put a port on the other side as well. It’s inexplicable.

    but when Schiller stated that they were removing the SD slot from the Macbook Pro, because of low use, I immediately thought of two things. One was that use must be around maybe 5% or so, for it to be so low that Apple would remove it, and that if they updated the port to be the very latest, every time a new standard came out, more people would be using it.

    but then he said that use was “just” 20%, and I was stunned. That’s a fairly big number, and would be bigger if they did update it to the latest. Of course people won’t use it if the latest cards for their cameras, and other devices won’t work with it!

    so I don’t know what’s going on there, but it seems as though they want to remove as many hardware complexities as possible. We all know that Apple’s long term vision is a wireless world, but for some things, it’s just not here yet.
    It is ignorant crap like this that has me running an HP laptop since the beginning of the year.   Frankly ignorant is the right word here if a business manager thinks screwing over 20% of the user base is good management.  It is pretty disgusting if you ask me.    

    I really dont know what is wrong at Apple but they really seemed to have lost all sense of direction

    ...

    Not to sound like that guy but i really believe i could  spec better hardware than the crap Apple has been putting out as Macs.  
    Removing a consumer memory card that only 2 out of 10 people use is...Disgusting? Wow. Sorry man but that sort of use is a prime indicator that it won’t be long for an Apple product and the space better utilized. Get a plug in reader. 

    Apple hasnt lost direction at all. They’re just going in a different direction than you, and that’s fine. Get yourself that HP or Alienware or whatever it is you need and be happy. Why continue making yourself a victim?

    And yeah, if you think spec’ing out a PC clone makes it as good as Mac, you really don’t understand Macs very well. 
    Have to disagree. 20% is not a small number, it’s a large number. But, it’s just indicative of what Apple’s doing otherwise. One feature may not mean much, but two, three or more does. It’s ports, lack of RAM, etc. yes, I know the Intel support for RAM issue, but it’s still not an excuse. If Apple is calling their top machines “Pro”, then a bigger, heavier machine is called for. There are a number of windows laptops with the chips that do support 32GB RAM. Then they’d have more room for ports as well. It’s not that Apple can’t serve their power hungry customers, it’s that they lost the interest in doing so.

    if just 200 thousand of the true Pro machines sold each year, then that’s enough. It’s still a lot of money. Not everything needs to be thin and feather light, or cheaper.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 39 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Nameo_ said:
    Am I the only one waiting for the new iPP w/ less bezel and Face ID like the iPhone X? It seems like no one is excited or even cares about the iPP.
    No. I and my daughter are very interested.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 40 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

    wizard69 said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    lmac said:
    If the new MacBook Air is in the pipeline, it will likely have the new, flawed, butterfly keyboard and the USB-C ports that nobody wanted.
    Everybody wants USB C. So that’s not true. But one port on the Macbook isn’t enough. If they had two, most people would be happy. Apple has also been looking into what they describe as “stuck” keys. Possibly they have a solution. They certainly will for a new model.
    While I never did get use to the 12" MacBook's keyboard during a trial run (which is fine as not every product should be geared toward my specific needs), my biggest complaint was only having a single USB-C port when it's such a versatile port interface. Long before that MacBook was announced had I suggested the USB-C on each side of the device would offer a great number of advantages moving forward. I was glad to see that Google's first foray with a USB-C ChromeBook came with a USB-C port on each side.
    This is one of the decisions that Apple makes that I don’t understand. They said that there was no room due to the large stepped battery. But when seeing a breakdown, I could see that Apple could have, with a small redesign, put a port on the other side as well. It’s inexplicable.

    but when Schiller stated that they were removing the SD slot from the Macbook Pro, because of low use, I immediately thought of two things. One was that use must be around maybe 5% or so, for it to be so low that Apple would remove it, and that if they updated the port to be the very latest, every time a new standard came out, more people would be using it.

    but then he said that use was “just” 20%, and I was stunned. That’s a fairly big number, and would be bigger if they did update it to the latest. Of course people won’t use it if the latest cards for their cameras, and other devices won’t work with it!

    so I don’t know what’s going on there, but it seems as though they want to remove as many hardware complexities as possible. We all know that Apple’s long term vision is a wireless world, but for some things, it’s just not here yet.
    It is ignorant crap like this that has me running an HP laptop since the beginning of the year.   Frankly ignorant is the right word here if a business manager thinks screwing over 20% of the user base is good management.  It is pretty disgusting if you ask me.    

    I really dont know what is wrong at Apple but they really seemed to have lost all sense of direction

    ...

    Not to sound like that guy but i really believe i could  spec better hardware than the crap Apple has been putting out as Macs.  
    Removing a consumer memory card that only 2 out of 10 people use is...Disgusting? 
    Yes, you did an interesting thing there: you looked at 20% and thought what that really means in terms of users. Everyone else saw twenty and thought, “Wow that looks like a big number”.

    I looked at that and wondered why only 1 in 5 people were using it. The main reasons:

    More people taking pictures with phones rather than cameras. 
    More people using iPads rather than laptops. 
    More cameras with network connectivity. 

    Apple will probably consider removing any function that is used by a quarter of their customers or less. 

    As an interesting aside, Jetbrains has been talking about some of their latest UI changes: flattening the icons, reducing the colour palette, and removing toolbar items that no one uses. (They use opt-in usage stats). Amongst the many buttons that were dropped were cut, copy and paste. 

    “Outrageous!” I thought. Then went back to the old version and realised that I’d removed them myself years before. 

    Does that mean the Touchbar is dead? ;-)
    I hope not. Despite the naysayers, most of who have never actually used the Touch Bar, it’s really very useful, and will become more so over the years. I have no interest in the fuddy duds who have no imagination, and who talk every new feature down. In the l(Bluetooth r8n, they’re almost always wrong.. if we listened to them, we’d still be using S-100 bus computers with C/PM.
Sign In or Register to comment.