Apple taking Maps 'to the next level' in iOS 12

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    Without fail, when someone announces something is being "taken to the next level", it's ultimately disappointing.
    Far better to under promise and over deliver.
  • Reply 22 of 76
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    When will that day come when I tell Siri, Direction->Source->destination->take these roads/route->Go ? Point is you know a route well traveled for you so telling Siri create custom route and Go.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 23 of 76
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    greg uvan said: 
    I love Apple, and I am super glad to hear that they're still putting their shoulder behind the grindstone and are committed to improving Maps, because compared to Google, they have a very long way to go. Maybe that's not true in big cities like San Fran or New York, but in smaller places it is very much the case.
    You don't think this is maybe because Google pretty much perfected the concept and was 10 years ahead of Apple when Maps was released. Not really possible to catch up in just a few years, particularly using 3rd party data - which they are moving away from per article.
    Rayz2016watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 24 of 76
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    nunzy said:
    In my opinion, Apple Maps as fine as is.
    You are so un-followable. Sell your Apple stock so you can make a semi-unbiased comment. Otherwise your existence on this forum is mostly robotic.
    edited June 2018 StrangeDaysnunzyfastasleepwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam[Deleted User]Alex1N
  • Reply 25 of 76
    command_f said:
    Apart from improving its still somewhat hit and miss accuracy, I see lack of a Streetview-style facility as Apple Maps' biggest drawback. This story hints that it might be coming which would be very good news. I hope Apple is dedicated to maintaining all its first-party data too or its value will fade away again.

I do, however, remain sceptical that Apple will be able to match Google maps's search content and relevance without its own search engine. The coupling of the two is really powerful when it comes to returning relevant mapping suggestions. I can still sit here in the UK, search for a partial business or whatever name and get my second or third response as an address in the US. Much as I like the US, I don't expect to pop over the pond for such trivial needs  ;).
    One other annoying thing about AM is if you are curious about directions from location X to Y and you are in neither location. It bugs me that you first must initiate directions from your location and then edit. It’s a small detail but it’s bugged me for years. Google Maps on the other hand, I avoid as much as possible.
    watto_cobra[Deleted User]Alex1Nlukei
  • Reply 26 of 76
    Rayz2016 said:
    ireland said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    OMG! 

I saw one two days ago!  It was cruising along the Queens Road in Reading. I thought it was a fake because it had a sign on the side that said Apple Maps, and I thought all the mapping vans were plain white. Maybe it was one of the new ones they’re running themselves. 

Anyne else in the UK seen one?
    You can search online to see them. They've been using the writing on the exterior for quite a while.
    Yep. It was them. ߘ᦬t;/div>
    It’s only a van, lol
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 27 of 76
    What privacy issues are there with the iOS version of Google maps? 
    Google.
    lkruppTuubormacseekerfastasleepdee_deewatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 28 of 76
    Sorry, I’ve bailed on Apple Maps in recent months. Simply too unreliable.

Google maps has been flawless.
  • Reply 29 of 76
    I'll second Retrogustos request for cycling data. Bike commuting has become a big thing here in Seattle with more jumping on board all the time to avoid the horrible traffic bottlenecks (and get some cardio at the same time ...). 

I'd like the ability to enter a string of destinations and see the same selection of driving options and estimated time to each destination and the total for the entire trip. 
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 30 of 76
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    I always use the superior product. That's why I buy Apple hardware and use OS X. In the case of maps, the superior product is Google Maps.
    muthuk_vanalingam[Deleted User]
  • Reply 31 of 76
    HeliBumHeliBum Posts: 129member
    And yet, they STILL haven't implemented the ability to set vias in navigation, something that Garmin has been able to do with their GPS units for many years.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 32 of 76
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    HeliBum said:
    And yet, they STILL haven't implemented the ability to set vias in navigation, something that Garmin has been able to do with their GPS units for many years.
    Vias? do you mean waypoints? Cause that would be a nice, basic feature.

whenever there is an article about Apple maps, there is always a fair bit of bitching about when it had a wrong destination. I am beginning to think many of these are quite old incidents. Because I would have to say Apple Maps is a hell of a lot better these days than even two years ago.

That said, the roll out of new features is so glacial, and so geographically limited I would have to think while Apple seems to have been mainly focussed on really fixing the backend, to the extent it hasn’t really pushed the getting out and about and getting the actual accurate data to populate Maps. Look at this discussion, the new features are for Northern California only. To be a good mapping tool, It needs to do both, a powerful backend and world wide, accurate data.
    edited June 2018 muthuk_vanalingamAlex1N
  • Reply 33 of 76
    bellsbells Posts: 140member
    slurpy said:
    I actually think Apple Maps has become extremely solid and rely on it all the time, but this is pretty fucking awesome. Incredibly ambitious endeavour, but if anyone can do it, Apple can. Not relying on 3rd party providers and having all data in house will bring incredible advantages.
    I agree, but there are some small annoyances. For example, it tells me how fast the speed limit is, but doesn’t allow the option to provide a warning when I’m speeding. 

Further, with Waze I don’t need to turn the radio on and set it on  Bluetooth media to work. Maybe I’m missing something, but with Apple Maps I do.

Currently, I run Apple Maps in the foreground and Waze in the background. Apple Maps gives me directions, Waze provides me Traffic notices .
  • Reply 34 of 76
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    No amount of 3rd party data is ever going to match Google unless someone starts and PoI database to rival it. Google can crawl the web for a first-pass and then get updates, something no one else is doing (Bing?).

A simple example: There are about four Tim Horten's within two miles of my house. Maps knows only two of them. This is not good enough.
    "PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in."
    Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 76

command_f said:
    I do, however, remain sceptical that Apple will be able to match Google maps's search content and relevance without its own search engine. 
    Just wait for the WWDC where Tim announces Apple Search as One More Thing™: "Now witness the power of this fully-armed and operational search engine!"
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 36 of 76
    wood1208 said:
    When will that day come when I tell Siri, Direction->Source->destination->take these roads/route->Go ? Point is you know a route well traveled for you so telling Siri create custom route and Go.
    Why do you need directions for a route you already know well?
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 76

ngrygrmn said:
    Sorry, I’ve bailed on Apple Maps in recent months. Simply too unreliable.

Google maps has been flawless.
    First post? Ten bucks says you never used Apple Maps.
    SoliRayz2016watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 38 of 76
    entropys said:
    That said, the roll out of new features is so glacial, and so geographically limited I would have to think while Apple seems to have been mainly focussed on really fixing the backend, to the extent it hasn’t really pushed the getting out and about and getting the actual accurate data to populate Maps. Look at this discussion, the new features are for Northern California only. To be a good mapping tool, It needs to do both, a powerful backend and world wide, accurate data.

You have to start somewhere, and why not in their back yard? That doesn't mean they're not planning on rapid growth after things have proven to work:

Cue: 

"We’ve got a dedicated team — we started this four years ago — across a variety of fields from ML, to map design, to you name it. There’s thousands of people working on this all around the globe from here in the Bay Area, to Seattle, Austin, New York. We have people in other countries, in cities like Berlin, Paris, Singapore, Beijing, Malmö, Hyderabad."

"This team’s dispersed around the globe. It’s important to have that when you’re trying to create and do this. We’re trying to look at how people use our devices all around the world. Our focus is to build these maps for people on the go."

watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 39 of 76
    I'm sitting at Logan International Airport after having spent several days in Istanbul Turkey. I found Apple Maps to work very well there not only for directions but traffic congestion. I was at a party last night at a hotel and the taxi driver who gave me a ride back to my hotel-a block from the Blue Mosque if you're familiar with such landmarks-used my phone to get the turn-by-turn directions to the hotel. Unlike the driver who originally took me to the hotel several days earlier that spent a considerable amount of time prowling around the neighborhood trying to find the hotel. Anecdotal and just one case but I was sure happy to have it available to me.
    fastasleepwatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 40 of 76
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    foggyhill said:
    Google is good for POI things, that's the WHOLE BUSINESS (thank god they're actually good at their own job), but their map has not improved much in a long time and in my neighborhood there are 3 errors that have been there for 10 years. Their POI also are pretty horrible, half the businesses inside 1km are missing and a third of those that are there are the wrong ones!!! 
    And in ten years have you submitted a single correction? They make it pretty easy - it used to be really easy but they cut down on crowd sourcing edits after some spam edits.
    watto_cobraAlex1N