Microsoft's next Surface product might be just pocket-sized

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2018
Microsoft's long-rumored "Andromeda" device will be a "pocketable" Surface product, further smearing the line between phones, tablets, and laptops, according to a leaked internal document.

David Breyer's
David Breyer's "Andromeda" mockup.

"It's a new pocketable Surface device form factor that brings together innovative new hardware and software experiences to create a truly personal and versatile computing experience," the document reads according to The Verge. Sources for the site added, however, that Microsoft could kill the project at any time, much as it did the "Surface Mini," which was scrapped just weeks from launch.

Patents and reports have pointed to development of the "Andromeda" project for some two years. Current engineering samples are said to resemble mockups created by designer David Breyer, showing a hinged device with a wraparound display that bridges the gap of the hinge when it's fully opened.

@zacbowden @h0x0d @windowscentral #Surface Andromeda Render according to the latest patents pic.twitter.com/CmbvlfETtU

-- David Breyer (@D_Breyer)

Microsoft is allegedly experimenting with ARM-based processors at the moment, but could go with either Intel or Qualcomm for final chips. The company is tentatively aiming at a 2018 launch date.

OEMs should subsequently adopt "Andromeda" concepts. In fact Intel is said to be working on similar dual-screen hardware, taking advantage of the software Microsoft is developing, and sharing reference designs with Asus and Lenovo.

Microsoft has enjoyed modest success with the Surface line, to the point that the Surface Pro has often been seen as the model for Apple's iPad Pro. The Surface was created as an attempt to compete with the original iPad, which in turn was marketed as a bridge between the world of iPhones and MacBooks.

Apple has been rumored as working on foldable designs of its own, something supported by published patents. Any launch may wait until 2020 or later, though.
nunzy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Another wacky idea from Monkey Boy's company.
    lordjohnwhorfinSpamSandwichwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    nunzy said:
    Another wacky idea from Monkey Boy's company.
    To fair, Monkey Boy took over from the Thief Chief and now has handed over to what seems to be a pretty smart guy.  That said this sounds pretty awful.
    anantksundaramnunzySpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 48
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    We'll see, but this seems like a prime example of 'just because you can doesn't mean you should'.
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 48
    fotoformatfotoformat Posts: 302member
    I think this project will fold pretty quickly!
    lordjohnwhorfinentropysSpamSandwichGeorgeBMaclamboaudi4watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 48
    There's nothing annoying about having a seam going through the middle the screen.
    spliff monkeywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 48
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    So this is gonna be a zombie of the windows phone? I thought that after celebrating a funeral for the iPhone, these guys will learn their lesson. I know people say, if you fair try again until you succeed, but microsoft is the exception!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 48
    I'm just waiting for the first phone to have thunderbolt 3. That would make it amazing and unstoppable from a road warrior stand point. If I could use my phone as my sole computer, man that would be awesome. It's almost there just sometimes need to use a mouse and keyboard and monitor.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 48
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    I predict the same fate for this as the Surface Table (or Platter, or whatever it was called). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    And they shall call it “Zune Surface”  B)
    lordjohnwhorfinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 48
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Where are the think pieces, predicting the death of Microsoft? The beleaguered Microsoft , desperate for ideas.
    lordjohnwhorfinGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 48
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Oversized phones now becomes default for tablets or laptops. I have both Ipad and macbook and hardly use them anymore....My Iphone is always my companion and does almost everything now....
    maybe it’s just me
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Oversized phones now becomes default for tablets or laptops. I have both Ipad and macbook and hardly use them anymore....My Iphone is always my companion and does almost everything now....
    maybe it’s just me
    Some of us don't like huge phones or even walking along the street oblivious to anything apart from the latest tweet from some 'Z' list celeb (or worse).
    My phone is a primarily a phone. No social media but I do have a number of travel related apps that I use a lot.

IMHO, there are a lot of people addicted to Social Media and therefore their phones. This device won't help them kick that addiction, and may well make it worse.
    Is it just me?
    mwhite[Deleted User]
  • Reply 13 of 48
    olsols Posts: 50member
    Is Microsoft getting ready for the next flop?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 48
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Notable Microsoft mobile product goofs:

Kin
    Zune
    Windows Phone
    Surfaces used as iPad stands in high profile promos (CNN, NFL)
    Announcers/players calling Surfaces iPads or iPad knockoffs (NFL)
    Celebrity endorsements of MS products being sent using Twitter for iPhone

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 48
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    mike1 said:
    We'll see, but this seems like a prime example of 'just because you can doesn't mean you should'.
    Or perhaps less euphemistically, what problem does this solve? I'm not following why anyone would want this. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 48
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    "It's a new pocketable Surface device form factor that brings together innovative new hardware and software experiences to create a truly personal and versatile computing experience,"

What does this mean?
    GeorgeBMacStrangeDays
  • Reply 17 of 48
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    "It's a new pocketable Surface device form factor that brings together innovative new hardware and software experiences to create a truly personal and versatile computing experience,"

What does this mean?
    It means nothing. It is meaningless marketing jargon. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 48
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member
    The Surface team has had a lot of interesting products recently. Even the Hub 2 looks rather impressive.

Referencing old Surface failures, or the Zune, is just silly at this point. They're well past that stage.
    GeorgeBMacavon b7
  • Reply 19 of 48
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Looks like a two screen version of a nineties PDA with a second screen instead of a physical keyboard.if MS could make the join largely invisible and robust it could be interesting. A thick phone in your pocket that turns into a small tablet, or can be plugged into a monitor. The  stylus though is just terrible, unless it can be tucked into the device somehow. You can get away with a separate stylus in a full sized tablet.

At CES 2018 there was a company putting out a modern version https://www.planetcom.co.uk/  of a traditional PDA running android.

edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 48
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    KITA said:
    Referencing old Surface failures, or the Zune, is just silly at this point. They're well past that stage.
    No they aren't past their failures. I'm seeing a big hardware failure rate at work with the Surface Pro 4 model, which is a very recent model.
    watto_cobra