New SD card format will transfer at nearly a gigabyte per second

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    vannygeevannygee Posts: 61member
    ols said:
    Nice tech however since the iPhone never featured an SD-Card slot and newer macs no longer have an SD-Card slot this article sadly seems little relevant to apple users.
    Apple correctly chose to remove the soon-to-be legacy SD interface from the new mbps, I opted for the Sandisk usb-c to uhs-ii sd card reader giving me the potential of 312MBps. Even if Apple developed their own pcie version for a built-in solution, it wouldn't [i]need[/i] to address such speeds when it was introduced in 2016. With usb-c ports they can outsource the creating and promote high quality TB3 products. The TB design is theirs and Intel's after all
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 24
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    anome said:

backstab said:
    ols said:
    Nice tech however since the iPhone never featured an SD-Card slot and newer macs no longer have an SD-Card slot this article sadly seems little relevant to apple users.
    Why would you need to use up a dedicated space on a computer for an SD-Card slot, just to use an SD card?

More to the point, why would you want to have a dedicated space on your computer for an SD-Card slot that can't take full advantage of the new SD-Cards? Instead, you can buy an adapter that connects via USB 3.1 Gen 2 or Thunderbolt 3 which have sufficient bandwidth to support 1GB/s.

After all, it's not like you'd buy a whole new computer just to work with the new SD-Card standard, would you?

Minor quibble. SD Express won't work over USB. The whole thing which enables the 985 MB/s peak throughput is a direct PCIe link to the computer. That means Thunderbolt or an internal adapter.

It also means this could be a security nightmare. PCIe supports direct memory access, which lets peripherals write directly to other peripherals with minimal involvement from the CPU. By extending the PCIe bus to an external connector, you add the opportunity for external, removable peripherals to dump or overwrite memory. Apple has been pretty good about limiting DMA involving external devices so far. Attacks only ever get better, though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 24
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    vannygee said:
    ols said:
    Apple correctly chose to remove the soon-to-be legacy SD interface from the new mbps, I opted for the Sandisk usb-c to uhs-ii sd card reader giving me the potential of 312MBps. Even if Apple developed their own pcie version for a built-in solution, it wouldn't [i]need[/i] to address such speeds when it was introduced in 2016. With usb-c ports they can outsource the creating and promote high quality TB3 products. The TB design is theirs and Intel's after all
    Nope. Totally dumb decision. They need to. Bring I’m back, Andy they need this new standard.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 24
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    zimmie said:
    anome said:

backstab said:
    ols said:
    Why would you need to use up a dedicated space on a computer for an SD-Card slot, just to use an SD card?

More to the point, why would you want to have a dedicated space on your computer for an SD-Card slot that can't take full advantage of the new SD-Cards? Instead, you can buy an adapter that connects via USB 3.1 Gen 2 or Thunderbolt 3 which have sufficient bandwidth to support 1GB/s.

After all, it's not like you'd buy a whole new computer just to work with the new SD-Card standard, would you?

Minor quibble. SD Express won't work over USB. The whole thing which enables the 985 MB/s peak throughput is a direct PCIe link to the computer. That means Thunderbolt or an internal adapter.

It also means this could be a security nightmare. PCIe supports direct memory access, which lets peripherals write directly to other peripherals with minimal involvement from the CPU. By extending the PCIe bus to an external connector, you add the opportunity for external, removable peripherals to dump or overwrite memory. Apple has been pretty good about limiting DMA involving external devices so far. Attacks only ever get better, though.
    This is no more of a problem than standard USB ports security[wise. That’s been a nightmare for companies for years now. It’s also no more of a problem than having external drives.
    SpamSandwich