Developer shares proof an iPad with Face ID is coming

Posted:
in iPad edited August 2020
The latest iOS 12 beta has a new avatar generation feature intended for the iPad that requires a TrueDepth camera system, lending credence to rumors that FaceID iPads are coming sooner rather than later.

Screenshot via Steve Troughton-Smith
Screenshot via Steve Troughton-Smith

In his post, Steve Troughton-Smith noted that AvatarKit, Apple's framework for operating its Animoji and Memoji features as well as other functions, has been altered in iOS 12 to support an iPad-size screen. A screenshot supplied with the post shows what appears to be the main interface for producing Animoji, but on the larger iPad-style screen.

It seems that the interface does not yet perform facial tracking in its current implementation, with Troughton-Smith noting that hardware using the iPhone X's sensor array is required for it to function. It is suggested that this would effectively be "an iPad with Face ID," equipped with the TrueDepth camera or something similar to it.

Rumors of an iPad Pro with a TrueDepth camera have circulated for a while, with one March investor memo suggesting at the time that new upgrades were close to mass production, with a view to a summer release. In January, code found in the first iOS 11.3 beta includes mentions of a "Modern" iPad, originally believed to refer to the supposed Face ID iPad Pro, but could have also related to the iPad refresh that took place a few months later.

Apple is expected to expand its usage of Face ID in its 2018 iPhone refresh this fall, with three models all expected to include a TrueDepth camera. In March, Apple VCSEL supplier Finisar hinted in its earnings report that it would receive a large uptick in component orders in the second half of the year, coinciding with iPhone production schedules, though it is probable the same components could be used in an iPad.

Face ID would not be the first iPhone X-style feature found to be heading to the iPad. The iOS 12 betas include the ability to perform iPhone X-style gestures on an iPad, including swiping up from the gesture bar to get to the lock screen, and swiping up again to reach the home screen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    Can’t wait to see this new iPad. Amazingly enough, after all these years I still don’t own one. May finally pull the trigger. Hopefully they offer a 12.9 inch iPad Pro with Face ID. I’d buy that no question 
  • Reply 2 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
     I see no reason why future iPhones and Macs won't also progress from the current Touch ID to or maybe also, having Face ID.  
    Alex1N
  • Reply 3 of 28
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Being totally naive, I'd have thought that sharing such information, acquired by partaking in a NDA (which means, you're not allowed to Disclose what information was under that non disclosure agreement...), would mean said developer be banned from the App Store and Apple Developer Connection... Not that I'm an investor and his actions may cause harm to me, but whenever you sign stuff, you should respect that, even if violating it gains you retweets or such remarkable e-notoriety...
    rob53mac_dogmwhitecornchipAlex1Nargonaut
  • Reply 4 of 28
    eliangonzaleliangonzal Posts: 490member
    ...but whenever you sign stuff, you should respect that, even if violating it gains you retweets or such remarkable e-notoriety...
    The urge to steal and blab about it among techie boyz is far more powerful than abiding by an NDA.
    lkruppcornchip
  • Reply 5 of 28
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Being totally naive, I'd have thought that sharing such information, acquired by partaking in a NDA (which means, you're not allowed to Disclose what information was under that non disclosure agreement...), would mean said developer be banned from the App Store and Apple Developer Connection... Not that I'm an investor and his actions may cause harm to me, but whenever you sign stuff, you should respect that, even if violating it gains you retweets or such remarkable e-notoriety...
    I totally agree and have mentioned this many times before. In today's age, loose lips are the norm and hardly anyone, including technical news sites, are willing to keep their mouths shut. I think Apple knows this and keeps the important, and game changing, features out of normal beta versions, which means some things aren't getting the kind of testing they need to. Of course, in this instance, you can't test FaceID on an iPad (at least outside an Apple lab) so this article is based on pure conjecture. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Speed1050Speed1050 Posts: 24unconfirmed, member
    I love my iPad Pro. OneDrive with SharePoint and Adobe apps along with an Apple pencil have transformed how I do a lot of my work. 

Mostly the the iPad is propped on my desk, six hours a day. It goes to sleep all the time, but wakes super quickly with my finger without any effort. 

FaceID would mean picking it up every few minutes to wake it, and would massively disrupt how I use it. 

I know now it’s coming, and it works great on a device you mostly hold, but I’m not convinced at all on it for iPad. :(
    Alex1N[Deleted User]argonaut
  • Reply 7 of 28
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    There goes another developer’s access to beta software, if not the App Store. 

Dont these idiots realize there is an NDA clause as a condition of using the software?
    cornchipAlex1N
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Speed1050 said:
    I love my iPad Pro. OneDrive with SharePoint and Adobe apps along with an Apple pencil have transformed how I do a lot of my work. 

Mostly the the iPad is propped on my desk, six hours a day. It goes to sleep all the time, but wakes super quickly with my finger without any effort. 

FaceID would mean picking it up every few minutes to wake it, and would massively disrupt how I use it. 

I know now it’s coming, and it works great on a device you mostly hold, but I’m not convinced at all on it for iPad. :(
    I would imagine that like the iphone x, face ID would work fine on the iPad. Just look at your ipad, wether you are holding it or it’s on a table...and it will scan your face. I mean, you say you keep your ipad on the table...so you currently have to reach your hand out to touch the home button. I would think just simply looking at your ipad on the table and having face ID automatically turn on your ipad would be far simpler and easy. I don’t think Apple will release an ipad pro with face ID that costs over a thousand dollars if it didn’t work flawlessly. My question is that unlike the iphone, since many people use the ipad in landscape mode, will Apple put a face ID camera on the side as well? Or will one face ID camera suffice? Guess we will find out soon enough.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Speed1050Speed1050 Posts: 24unconfirmed, member
    Speed1050 said:

Just look at your ipad, wether you are holding it or it’s on a table...and it will scan your face. I mean, you say you keep your ipad on the table...so you currently have to reach your hand out to touch the home button. I would think just simply looking at your ipad on the table and having face ID automatically turn on your ipad would be far simpler and easy. I don’t think Apple will release an ipad pro with face ID that costs over a thousand dollars if it didn’t work flawlessly.

I think it will work flawlessly, if the camera can see you. On a flat desk, inclined slightly, the camera won’t see me - i would expect it would have to be picked up or I stoop over the desk. 

That said, if my watch could unlock it when in proximity, happy days. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 10 of 28
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) Of course Face ID is coming to other Apple products.

2) Why would a developer leak this?

3) Face ID on the iPad will be a major benefit for the elderly who often have trouble with Touch ID registering properly. The same goes for Touch ID on the iPhone and Mac, but the ratio is likely much higher on the iPad.
    edited July 2018 cornchipAlex1Nargonaut
  • Reply 11 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I hope to God this model is a replacement for the current model, at prices very similar per GB/storage. Let's have none of this up-sell of: 'should I get the good iPad Pro or the perceived great one'. Sell out of old stock and make this the new iPad Pro the only pro option, and transitions every device in the lineup to Face ID rapid-fire. Give people pro value for the current professional prices. Especially over here, where the current 256 GB model is almost €1,000. And in three years time, Apple shouldn't sell a Mac, iPad or iPhone without Face ID. I'd make it 2 years IIWM
    edited July 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 12 of 28
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    supadav03 said:
    Can’t wait to see this new iPad. Amazingly enough, after all these years I still don’t own one. May finally pull the trigger. Hopefully they offer a 12.9 inch iPad Pro with Face ID. I’d buy that no question 
    Ive iwned three and sadly broke the last one.   I would have just purchased a new one but FaceID is such an obvious enhancement that ive held off.   In my case i see iPad as the perfect travel computer and in that regard the smaller iPads are ideal.   If you are using it for GPS the largers screen (than an iPhone) is great but it cant be too large for obvious reasons.  

To put it another way im really missing my iPad.  
  • Reply 13 of 28
    wizard69 said:
    supadav03 said:
    Ive iwned three and sadly broke the last one.   I would have just purchased a new one but FaceID is such an obvious enhancement that ive held off.   In my case i see iPad as the perfect travel computer and in that regard the smaller iPads are ideal.   If you are using it for GPS the largers screen (than an iPhone) is great but it cant be too large for obvious reasons.  

To put it another way im really missing my iPad.  
    I remember owning my iPad 4 thinking it was the best device Apple has ever made. Sadly, though, I needed to transition to a MBA at the time as the iPad wasn't meeting my overall needs and I additionally realised 9.7" was too small a size for me to watch a film on while travelling (which is crucial for me). The 13" MBA and it's superb battery life was the obvious choice. I also love that my MBA has a complement of ports built in, and at the time and even still, I didn't need or want to pay for a MBP.

Sorry to continue my off-topic bit, but I think if Apple do update the MBA this year, they need to keep at least 13.3" (or larger if they slim the bezels) and they should absolutely kill the MB one at that point, IMO. Keep the MBA name too. It's a better name than MacBook, and it helps to further distinguish it from MBP for the average consumer.
    edited July 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Speed1050 said:

You are making an assumption here that you will need to pick it up.    While i understand your concerns Apple has ways that it coukd address your problem.  

By the way back when my iPad was working one thing i found it to be fantastic for is to be propped up near a laptop with the current documentation i needed handy.   This keeps the laptop screen free for a full screen IDE.  Maybe not as good as a dual screen set up but highly functional anyhow.  
    Alex1N
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Nobody is gonna make you get one with Face ID. But my understanding is that Face ID doesn’t require you to angle it at your face directly. You will probably be fine. (Or just adjust the amount of time your iPad takes to go to sleep. I’m looking forward to the Pro with Face ID as I often mix up which is up and down when my iPad is horizontal. But I won’t be getting a new ipad until Affinity Designer is finally on it.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    ’m looking forward to the Pro with Face ID as I often mix up which is up and down when my iPad is horizontal.
    They'll have to account for this, obviously.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Speed1050 said:

I would imagine that like the iphone x, face ID would work fine on the iPad. Just look at your ipad, wether you are holding it or it’s on a table...and it will scan your face. I mean, you say you keep your ipad on the table...so you currently have to reach your hand out to touch the home button. I would think just simply looking at your ipad on the table and having face ID automatically turn on your ipad would be far simpler and easy. I don’t think Apple will release an ipad pro with face ID that costs over a thousand dollars if it didn’t work flawlessly. My question is that unlike the iphone, since many people use the ipad in landscape mode, will Apple put a face ID camera on the side as well? Or will one face ID camera suffice? Guess we will find out soon enough.
    Im not sure if this capability is present in current hardware but in an ideal world Apple would offer people the ability to set the screen to never go off when plugged into a power source.  This would be the same capability as seen in laptops.   An alternative mode would be a feature that turns off the screen backlight but keeps the digitizer active so that the screen returns when the glass is touched.   This is sort of like what happens now but with different setting for when connected to a power supply and the screen remaining touch sensitive. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 18 of 28
    vadimyuryevvadimyuryev Posts: 170member
    The hype is REAL!
    cornchip
  • Reply 19 of 28
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    Soli said:
    1) Of course Face ID is coming to other Apple products.

2) Why would a developer leak this?

3) Face ID on the iPad will be a major benefit for the elderly who often have trouble with Touch ID registering properly. The same goes for Touch ID on the iPhone and Mac, but the ratio is likely much higher on the iPad.
    Yes, I think it is evident that most if not all new iPhones/iPads wiil get Face ID and they become bezelless in future. It is just question how long it will take for iPhone SE and classical iPad. Not sure iPad mini will get it too or be outsted.
    cornchipAlex1N
  • Reply 20 of 28
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Can’t wait to see them, hopefully in September!