New MacBook Pro model with Intel Coffee Lake CPU shows up in Geekbench database

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited July 2018
A new MacBook Pro with a powerful 28W Intel processor may be on the way, if newly surfaced Geekbench results are anything to believe.

A Geekbench entry logged on Monday appears to reveal an as-yet-unreleased "MacBook Pro 15,2" model with an Intel Core iT-8559U Coffee Lake processor.

It should be noted that Geekbench data can be easily spoofed, and AppleInsider was unable to confirm the validity of the log entry. As such, the following is offered for purposes of discussion.

The quad-core Intel chip is capable of running up to 28W and boasts a 2.7GHz base frequency capable of peaking at 4.5GHz under turbo conditions. Apple has yet to integrate Coffee Lake CPUs in its laptop line, though the machines are due for a refresh.

The benchmarked Mac runs 16GB of 2133 MHz LPDDR3 RAM, a memory type currently used in the existing line of portable Macs. This suggests users will have to wait for machine capable of addressing 32GB of RAM. Apple currently limits RAM allotments to 16GB in an effort to maximize battery life, but rumors over the past few months hinted at a MacBook supporting LPDDR4 memory. The low power protocol would allow Apple to integrate up to 32GB of RAM without sacrificing efficiency.

MacBook Geekbench tests

We can glean from the included model identifier -- MacBookPro15,2 -- that this could be an updated version of the 13-inch MacBook Pro. Compared to the current 2017 model, the new scores are quite a bit higher. The 2017 version earned around 4600 and 9500 on the single-core and multi-core Geekbench tests, respectively. The new scores, 4448 and 16607, show quite the jump in performance, if they are in fact legitimate.

The Mac that ran the Geekbench test was running macOS 10.13.6 with build number 17G2110, a version of macOS High Sierra -- not Mojave -- similar to the developer beta that was seeded yesterday.

A Mac refresh has been expected for some time as existing hardware is getting a bit long in the tooth. Not just the MacBook line, but the Mac Mini, iMac, and Mac Pro are all also due for updates.

Apple teased updates to the Mac Pro coming in 2019 with a more modular design, but beyond that has remained tight lipped on other forthcoming updates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Next we'll see a hexacore 15" I hope.

Do these benchmarks generally get submitted by accident, or are they purposely seeded for some marketing reason?
  • Reply 2 of 63
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member

Do these benchmarks generally get submitted by accident, or are they purposely seeded for some marketing reason?
    Or are ones like this usually falsified so forums like this can get whipped into a frenzy?
    lkruppAlex1NdoozydozenStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 63
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,145member
    "The new scores, 4448 and 16607, show quite the jump in performance" ...um, is single core actually slower, and does moving to quad core make the increase a bit obvious, and software dependent...? I'd invest in an eGPU vs a touch bar, along with user flexible storage, and some better reading glasses for such small native screen resolution...
    Alex1NAvieshek
  • Reply 4 of 63
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Hmm...quad core in a 13” machine. Not that I don’t believe it, but...

I’d really like quad core in a 13” machine, more than hexacore in a 15”. Do we have data on what graphics it’s running? Because, if it’s not the Iris graphics for that chip, then it probably isn’t a 13” form factor. Unless they’ve done something truly amazing with cooling.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 5 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    linkman said:

Or are ones like this usually falsified so forums like this can get whipped into a frenzy?
    They haven't been discounting MBPs for the last month for nothing so here's hoping it's all true.  I grabbed one a few weeks ago with touch bar for a fraction of the price they had been thanks to AI tip.  I suspected this was coming and don't mind a bit, it's just a toy for me and more than adequate so no need for the new one, I am waiting for the new Mac Pro.
    edited July 2018 Alex1Ndoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 63
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member
    I'd like 32GB of RAM, but I'll still go for it even if it's only 16, as I'm just about ready to retire the non-retina 2012 MBP I've been on for 6 years. A good SSD breathed new life into it, and it has no problems, but I'm ready to upgrade. 15" for me, I always find 13" to be just a tad too small.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 7 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jonyo said:
    I'd like 32GB of RAM, but I'll still go for it even if it's only 16, as I'm just about read to retire the non-retina 2012 MBP I've been on for 6 years. A good SSD breathed new life into it, and it has no problems, but I'm ready to upgrade. 15" for me, I always find 13" to be just a tad too small.
    I hear you always had a 17" then it became a 15" as my carry around non work Mac.  Just got a 13" MBP (dirt cheap from B&H) with Touch bar and am actually loving it as long as I always go full screen, that said I couldn't work on it.   i use three 27" for that on a Mac Pro.
    Alex1NdoozydozenAvieshek
  • Reply 8 of 63
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    I think that would be a nice upgrade for me. Better still if say they make it a 14inch screen in the same case size. 
  • Reply 9 of 63
    Cal MacCal Mac Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Any indication on release dates for these new MBPs?
  • Reply 10 of 63
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    anome said:

I’d really like quad core in a 13” machine, more than hexacore in a 15”. Do we have data on what graphics it’s running? Because, if it’s not the Iris graphics for that chip, then it probably isn’t a 13” form factor. Unless they’ve done something truly amazing with cooling.
    Iris Plus 655 according to Intel’s datasheet.  I was hoping it would be none, requiring a dGPU, an Apple dGPU.  But no.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 11 of 63
    Please Apple I’m begging you:  15” MacBook Pro WITHOUT TOUCHBAR! 
    ElCapitanAvieshek
  • Reply 12 of 63
    anome said:

Quads in the 13" and hexas in the 15" are what's expected this round. 
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 13 of 63
    Cal Mac said:
    None.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Benchmarks are a techie’s wet dream but doesn’t the operating system and app software have to be able to use multiple cores in order to see actual benefits?
    Alex1N
  • Reply 15 of 63
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    If it has that silly Touch Bar I'm not interested
  • Reply 16 of 63
    lkrupp said:

Benchmarks are a techie’s wet dream but doesn’t the operating system and app software have to be able to use multiple cores in order to see actual benefits?
    Then it's good they can, right? You're not suggesting macOS or apps can't use more than one core, are you? There are apps that aren't optimized for multicore processing, but they're certainly not the rule.
    chiaAlex1N
  • Reply 17 of 63
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    If the A10X - A12X GPU performance scales like the A10 - A12 GPU, its compute score should be much higher (50K) than the iGPU IN THIS (36K)
  • Reply 18 of 63
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Cal Mac said:
    When it's ready to be released....

Honestly, I'd say whenever Intel gets off their collective asses and gets CPUs Apple can use out the door. This is when a lot of Macs will be released. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 19 of 63
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    MacPro said:
    s jonyo said:
    I'd like 32GB of RAM, but I'll still go for it even if it's only 16, as I'm just about read to retire the non-retina 2012 MBP I've been on for 6 years. A good SSD breathed new life into it, and it has no problems, but I'm ready to upgrade. 15" for me, I always find 13" to be just a tad too small.
    I hear you always had a 17" then it became a 15" as my carry around non work Mac.  Just got a 13" MBP (dirt cheap from B&H) with Touch bar and am actually loving it as long as I always go full screen, that said I couldn't work on it.   i use three 27" for that on a Mac Pro.
    I am still on early 2009 17" MBP and High Sierra is running just fine on it. Obviously upgraded to 1TB SSD with max RAM.But it looks like with Mojave is on its way, it is time for an upgrade, and 10 years is reasonably good length of time MacBook Pro to last and still running fine. I am still planning to keep it as a backup. I love my 2011 11" MBA, which serves me very well anywhere outside my home. Waiting for new Mac Pro to come out so I could decide between iMac Pro vs Mac Pro.
    edited July 2018 mike54
  • Reply 20 of 63
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Another dud, maybe?

It makes me wonder what’s the point for Apple leaks benchmark on GeekBench site, if it’s real. A tease maybe?