New MacBook Pro model with Intel Coffee Lake CPU shows up in Geekbench database

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    mrcmrc Posts: 10member
    Not interested, unless is has a keyboard that works for more than just a few months.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    vannygeevannygee Posts: 61member
    Can I please have a 14inch edge-to-edge quad-core 32GB beast? That's a bit thicker and has 10hour battery life unlike my 3-4hour not-even 2-year-old touch bar 15"? thanks
  • Reply 23 of 63
    vannygeevannygee Posts: 61member
    mike54 said:
    Still remotely hoping for a laptop with MacOS, 17in, matte screen, core i7, 500gb SSD, 16gb ram for less than $4000. Plastic case and thicker is perfect.
    What year do you live in? 2011?
    Plastic is a step down in terms of aesthetics and performance, forget it. 500gb SSD should be the standard.  
    Bring us apple CPUs already.. You're 11 iterations into mobile CPUs that yes, are optimized for mobile devices. Time to bring some bigger chips for the macs

$4000? lol
    mcdave
  • Reply 24 of 63
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    mike54 said:
    Still remotely hoping for a laptop with MacOS, 17in, matte screen, core i7, 500gb SSD, 16gb ram for less than $4000. Plastic case and thicker is perfect.
    And you're gonna keep on hoping too for a very long time. This isn't ever coming back. It was dropped because it didn't sell so why would Apple ever just decide to bring it back? You people need to just get over the 17" MacBook Pro already. 
  • Reply 25 of 63
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

mrc said:
    Not interested, unless is has a keyboard that works for more than just a few months.
    Funny...my butterfly keyboard has been working for 3yrs now. Go figure!
    StrangeDaysbshank
  • Reply 26 of 63
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,661member
    macxpress said:
    mike54 said:
    And you're gonna keep on hoping too for a very long time. This isn't ever coming back. It was dropped because it didn't sell so why would Apple ever just decide to bring it back? You people need to just get over the 17" MacBook Pro already. 
    I have trouble thinking the current Minis and Mac Pros sell and they are getting renewed, so maybe there is a little hope.

I didn't know that it didn't sell well. I wonder when the 17" peak was?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 63
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    My Moonshot hope was the 13" model would get a semi-custom 'G' package with Vega customized for the right wattage, but a 28W quad core with Iris Plus is about what I realistically expected. 

All is normal, so long as there's a keyboard jamming fix I'm in. 
  • Reply 28 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    dougd said:
    If it has that silly Touch Bar I'm not interested
    Man, the touch bar is amazing, why would you say that?  Have you used a Mac for a week or so with one?  I find going back to any of my other Macs after using my wee MBP +TB is painful.  It is so damned useful. I reach for it all the time on my Mac Pro and slap my forehead.  In fact if Apple were to bring out an external butterfly keyboard with touch bar as a stand alone add on for Mac Pros and iMacs I'd but two immediately.  It's  contextual  in every application I run with multiple nested instruction sets and so intuitive to use.  What on earth is not to like ... ?  Go on please list all the reasons why you state it is 'silly'?
    edited July 2018 StrangeDaysmcdavefastasleep
  • Reply 29 of 63
    mrcmrc Posts: 10member
    macxpress said:

mrc said:
    Lucky! You should enter the lottery :)
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 63
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    MacPro said:
    dougd said:
    If it has that silly Touch Bar I'm not interested
    Man, the touch bar is amazing, why would you say that?  Have you used a Mac for a week or so with one?  I find going back to any of my other Macs after using my wee MBP +TB is painful.  It is so damned useful. I reach for it all the time on my Mac Pro and slap my forehead.  In fact if Apple were to bring out an external butterfly keyboard with touch bar as a stand alone add on for Mac Pros and iMacs I'd but two immediately.  It's  contextual  in every application I run with multiple nested instruction sets and so intuitive to use.  What on earth is not to like ... ?  Go on please list all the reasons why you state it is 'silly'?
    No haptic feedback for the ESC key drives the productivity down.  The ESC key is one of the most used keys in all my applications I am currently using.  I can no longer type it blindly on a Mac with touch bar, which is a serious drawback.  If the touch bar was a little bit shorter so I could have a real ESC key I would not mind the touch bar.
    muthuk_vanalingamcgWerks
  • Reply 31 of 63
    I'd consider a 4-core 13" if it also has the T-1 (Touch-ID) and T-2 (secure boot) chips. I know a lot of people are not big on the Touch Bar or Touch ID, but there are cameras everywhere and no matter how fast you type in that password someone could still steal your password with an overhead camera. These days security is at the top of my list.

No way I'd buy a 15" with anything less than 6-cores, 32GB RAM, T-1 (Touch-ID) and T-2 (secure boot) chips. Caching to the SSD has taken a lot of pressure of the RAM, especially in the newer models, but since I run a lot of VMs I'd prefer 32GB. I could still go with 16GB if they had it a next generation SSD.

The discounts on the 2016/17 are nice but really not worth it in the long run. My 2013 15" was top of the line and the 2016/17 just aren't that much of leap. I expect a lot more after 5 years than those models can offer. It's like buying a slightly better 2013. Just not worth it.

The other problem is the trackpad. I love the larger trackpad but the false touch on the 2016 model was bad in comparison to the 2013. They probably improved on it in 2017 but I haven't been able to test it yet. 2016 was just a bad year all around when you add in the keyboard and CPU thermal throttling issues - barely faster than a 2013 model.

I'd consider a desktop if they had a keyboard/trackpad combo that places the trackpad beneath the keyboard, just like a laptop. Moving my hand back and forth instead of keeping it right above the keyboard is a real pain. It's impossible to go back to a mouse except for when I play 1st person shooter games.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 32 of 63
    macxpress said:

mrc said:
    As do most, luckily, and at least for now. 

The problem is not if it is working fine today. The problem is that every single Apple butterfly keyboard has a cloud hanging over it, and it could rain at any moment. You'll have one more year of peace of mind and then if you experience problems (which is reasonable to assume could happen, seeing as there is a special programme covering ALL butterfly keyboards and failure rates must be potentially higher for this design) you will be on your own, facing a repair that includes far more than the keyboard.

I think mrc was making a not too subtle reference to that situation.

It will be interesting to see if they go for a new keyboard design and integration, and if there will be a non-Touchbar 15" MBP. Of course 4mm or less screen bezels should also make an appearance.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 63
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    mrc said:
    macxpress said:

mrc said:
    Not according to Apple. They said a "very small" number of people had issues. Amplify this by a billion due to the techie echo chamber, of course, and you have a perceived epidemic, despite that not being the case IRL.
    tmaymacxpress
  • Reply 34 of 63
    mike54 said:
    matte screen? Easily solved if someone would make one of those Glass screen protectors in matte. I have a glossy one and its visually perfect.

plastic? Doesn't dissipate heat as well as metal. Carbon fibre for durability maybe, but plastic, no way. Plastic just means more fans and decreased battery life.

thicker? Only if it had a user replaceable battery that does not expose the motherboard when it's being replaced.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    HyperealityHypereality Posts: 58unconfirmed, member
    Watching the Apple developer videos from June I noticed quite a few demos were done on MacBook Pro's with the glowing Apple. 

The glowing Apple also appears on the recent 'creatives' ads from Apple

I wonder if they will bring it back, its one reason I didn't upgrade,  I like every Mac hater to be aware of my fanboiness when I open up my laptop! 
  • Reply 36 of 63
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/3221/iris-plus-graphics-655

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2964/iris-plus-graphics-650

Looks like the graphics for that CPU are pretty much identical to what we have now, like the Radeon pro 455 - 555 bump. 

Unless the 655 becomes the base model rather than the 640, also like the RP 450 - 555 minimum model upgrade. 
  • Reply 37 of 63
    mrc said:
    macxpress said:

mrc said:
    Not according to Apple. They said a "very small" number of people had issues. Amplify this by a billion due to the techie echo chamber, of course, and you have a perceived epidemic, despite that not being the case IRL.
    The problem isn't the amount of people affected (something we will probably never know) or the echo chamber. The problem is if it is you. This problem (which hasn't been disclosed by Apple) is sitting there and could happen to ANY butterfly keyboard user and at any time. In that sense it is very much a lottery. So much so that the issues (whatever they are) haven't been whittled down to specific batches with corresponding serial numbers. When Apple says 'a very small percentage' we cannot possibly know how that will eventually play out over the lifetime of the machines. All we know for sure is that if you get hit by this problem after four years, you will pay a lot (far more than the cost of the keyboard) to get it repaired and that the replacement keyboard could well have the same underlying issue as the one that was replaced.
    muthuk_vanalingamcgWerks
  • Reply 38 of 63
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    macxpress said:

mrc said:
    My 2017 MBP w touchbar has been working flawlessly for almost a year.  Go figure!
  • Reply 39 of 63
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,124member
    lkrupp said:
    Benchmarks are a techie’s wet dream but doesn’t the operating system and app software have to be able to use multiple cores in order to see actual benefits?
    The OS already does, but you are correct that individual applications need to be written to take advantage of multiple cores and some applications aren't suited at all.

That's where Turbo Boost comes in. (Oversimplified a bit) It allows single threads to run at a higher speed than otherwise possible.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 40 of 63
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Do we know if Geekbench is optimised for the ISA or the SoC? Does it utilise AVX & custom silicon on the ARM SoCs or is it a generic port which only test the ISA?  As instruction execution increasingly falls outside the main ISA (for graphics-intensive iOS apps most executed operations are not Aarch64) are we being distracted into missing something important?

So is Geekbench hand-optimised for each SoC, uses 1st party frameworks to access custom silicon, or fall back to the base ISA ignoring the good stuff?