Apple in early phases of business alliance with Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2018
Apple is seeking to expand its enterprise-related operations by working with a new partner, with a job advertisement indicating the iPhone producer has an arrangement with Hewlett Packard Enterprise to produce business solutions.

The LinkedIn job notice spotted by The Register reveals Apple is looking for an "Enterprise Strategic Partner Manager" for HPE, Dimension Data, and GE, based in London. The job title's inclusion of HPE points to Hewlett Packard Enterprise joining the existing list of firms Apple works with for corporate services.

The description for the role advises the candidate will work with global partners, as well as regional sales, channel marketing, and system engineering teams "both inside and outside Apple," with tasks including creating and executing sales plans, covering industries, and "other end-customer focus areas." The job also includes work in new business development, partner management and Apple's enterprise sales programs.

While the advertisement mentions HPE, there has yet to be a confirmation of a partnership between the company and Apple. Even so, this would make HPE the latest in a string of partners Apple works with to help enterprise customers.

Apple already has a working relationship with HP, the consumer-oriented business HPE separated from during the 2014 Hewlett-Packard split. Announced in February, HP expanded its "Device as a Service" program to include support, managed services, and analytics for Apple devices.

An existing relationship with IBM since 2014 has enabled for iOS and apps built for the operating system to be used for enterprise solutions, among other projects. More recently, the partnership allowed enterprise customers to roll out in-app machine learning capabilities, combining Apple's Core ML technology with IBM's Watson.

Apple also worked with Cisco, Aon, and Allianz to provide an enterprise cybersecurity insurance program, with Apple's hardware central to the program. Another partnership of Apple and SAP resulted in the creation of the SAP Cloud Platform SDK for iOS, to help developers connect apps to data stored on SAP's cloud storage services.

A 2016 partnership with Deloitte aimed to change business workflows using a team of over 5,000 "strategic advisors." Under the same project, the firms commenced the "EnterpriseNext" program, one that allowed for the rapid prototyping of solutions, with the creation of native iOS apps that integrate with platforms already in use in a business.
Alex1N

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    Back to days of iPod HP? :)
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    riverko said:
    From what we can tell, this is more business-to-business, and not about hardware production. Nearly all software.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 3 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Great to see the business end of Apple continuing strongly.  Enterprise offers massive opportunities for Apple, vast untapped growth potential.  It maybe mostly software but it could also carry iPads, iPhones and Macs on its coattails.

I wonder if they have any remnants at HP from Steve's summer job there.  I'd imagine so much as a paper memo would be an awesome find.
    edited July 2018 claire1Alex1N
  • Reply 4 of 22
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    riverko said:
    From what we can tell, this is more business-to-business, and not about hardware production. Nearly all software.
    Let's hope it works better than the early Apple - IBM alliance where as Guy Kawasaki so right fully put it:

"Management supported it, but the tech guys hated each other's technology so it failed completely".  

– and before you start protesting, as Motorola took on a lesser role in supplying Apple with PowerPC processors, also that failed in the end as IBM had little to no interest in consumer oriented processors. 
    brian greenwilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    ElCapitan said:
    riverko said:
    Let's hope it works better than the early Apple - IBM alliance where as Guy Kawasaki so right fully put it:

"Management supported it, but the tech guys hated each other's technology so it failed completely".  

– and before you start protesting, as Motorola took on a lesser role in supplying Apple with PowerPC processors, also that failed in the end as IBM had little to no interest in consumer oriented processors. 
    How about as well as the current Apple-IBM enterprise alliance, which has no such reports?
    ericthehalfbeeRayz2016williamlondonAlex1Ndragan0405
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    mike54 said:
    I like how you say "...the iPhone producer..."    since Apple doesn't seem to be a mac producer anymore.
    Most of Apple's enterprise efforts are on iOS.
    bb-15Alex1N
  • Reply 7 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mike54 said:
    I like how you say "...the iPhone producer..."    since Apple doesn't seem to be a mac producer anymore.
    Deal with it or leave the platform. Standing around bitching accomplishes nothing for you.
    vukasikawilliamlondonAlex1Njony0
  • Reply 8 of 22
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    ElCapitan said:
    riverko said:

I'm guessing you have a recent link that supports your BS about the IBM alliance, come on, should be easy since you are so full of confidence.
    williamlondonAlex1Ndragan0405
  • Reply 9 of 22
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    HP wants their old HQ back¡
    vukasikaAlex1Njony0
  • Reply 10 of 22
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    My first reaction to the headline was: Apple needs more parking space. 
  • Reply 11 of 22
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    Are Apple really serious about this? I really hope not. All HPE seem to be doing these days is pink slipping those who actually do the work leaving most managers in place. How can HPE hope to deliver anything in there are no troops left or, are there any good ones of those who remain? IMHO (And I speak this as a former HP Employee) All the good people left a long time ago and the HPE name is tainted with failure after failure after failure.

If it isn't HPE then who? IBM and the rest have been busy shedding headcount for years. All the decent people I know now work for themselves and won't touch a contract with the likes of HPE and IBM with a 40ft barge pole even if the money was brilliant.

This won't end well.
    ElCapitan
  • Reply 12 of 22
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,849member
    HP, iBM, Dell, and Amazon, all define tech mediocrity in the extreme. nothing will come of it....

williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 22
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    I was excited by the first few enterprise partnerships, but I’ve become disappointed. I work for a large enterprise apps vendor, and we’ve seen no impact / evidence of Apple in the enterprise apps market. It definitely is a huge opportunity for Apple, but their partnerships to-date have done little to make significant inroads into this market.
    vukasikawilliamlondonbrian green
  • Reply 14 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I was excited by the first few enterprise partnerships, but I’ve become disappointed. I work for a large enterprise apps vendor, and we’ve seen no impact / evidence of Apple in the enterprise apps market. It definitely is a huge opportunity for Apple, but their partnerships to-date have done little to make significant inroads into this market.
    Anecdotal evidence of course.  This from over a year ago:  https://seekingalpha.com/article/4070675-apples-enterprise-penetration-unspoken-pillar-growth
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 15 of 22
    danox said:
    HP, iBM, Dell, and Amazon, all define tech mediocrity in the extreme. nothing will come of it....

Amazon, mediocre? Tell that to anyone considering buying cloud services. Or anyone that wishes they could automate a warehouse as well as they do.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 22
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    At my workplace I would say the only possible enterprise partner worth a spit would be Microsoft. Anybody else would be a waste of time.  

Edit: and that isn’t saying anything aboutbMS capability as a partner for Apple, it is just the IT department is an MS shop.  If they had their way we would be using windows phones.  They didn’t win that one.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 17 of 22
    ElCapitan said:
    riverko said:

How about as well as the current Apple-IBM enterprise alliance, which has no such reports?
    IBM has to a large extent been through a transformation which I am not sure HP has been through comparatively. Besides Apple and IBM eventually found common ground in Swift, and using it to tie Apple's mobile devices into IBMs services and mainframe/servers organization. This suited them well wanting to make a weighty alternative to Microsoft (which they both came to hate for different reasons.)  

HP has been a much more Microsoft oriented organization. I am not convinced HP's and Apple's cultures are a great match (Never worked for HP, but for Apple and IBM for many years.) 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 22
    foggyhill said:
    ElCapitan said:
    riverko said:

I'm guessing you have a recent link that supports your BS about the IBM alliance, come on, should be easy since you are so full of confidence.
    I was recruited from Apple to IBM to work with the result of the alliance. So there is no link.  My comment was about the first alliance that involved PowerPC processors. Not the current one that to a large extent is centered around Swift and IBM's services organization. 
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 19 of 22
    foggyhill said:
    ElCapitan said:
    riverko said:

There is no link because it was stated in his presentation to IBM's RS/6000 / AIX conference in Austin in 2000 (or it could be first half of 2001 at the latest. I was not working directly for the RS/6000 division later than mid summer 2000, but had ventured on to dot com and startups in this region that wanted help from IBM with their business ideas). 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 22
    foggyhill said:
    ElCapitan said:
    riverko said:

Not BS
    williamlondonAlex1N