Video: How to downgrade from macOS High Sierra to Sierra

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    deminsd said:
    So now you've got a fresh install of Sierra.  What about your apps and data that were supposedly backed up?  Would it have been easier if one had a Time Machine backup of Sierra, to have done a restore from that instead? 

This just seems like a last ditch effort to get back to Sierra with tons of work involved putting the pieces back together.
    Or that pesky 200 GB Photos album you have on an external that was updated by High Sierra both locally and on the cloud. ;)
  • Reply 22 of 29
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Never mind staying with Sierra ... I went back to Mavericks (10.9.5) -- none of that flat iOS junk flat interface for me. 100% Real Mac :blush: 
    FnutSpamSandwich
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Frankly, the silly names, with marginal variations, that Apple has for its long line of MacOS Xs is getting a little long-in-the-tooth. And a bit too cutesy.

I prefer the numbering system, myself.
    They use a numbering system, as well as the cutesy names, for what 17 years now? What difference does it make what it's called?
    Um.. it’s annoying? After 17 iterations. (By far the largest number and for the longest time, IIRC, for any Apple software offering). 
    Okay, if that's the hill you want to die on. 
  • Reply 24 of 29
    wozwoz said:
    Never mind staying with Sierra ... I went back to Mavericks (10.9.5) -- none of that flat iOS junk flat interface for me. 100% Real Mac :blush: 
    That's a pile of security vulnerabilities you're willing to live with in exchange for clinging to old UI elements. Good luck!
  • Reply 25 of 29
    amurroamurro Posts: 1member
    IAfter copying and pasting your command into terminal, I did not get past entering my password. 

The message I got was argument - volume a path to a volume that can.............., Example createinstallmedia -volume 

I did not have anything copied to the USB drive.   Any other way to download Sierra:?

• Reply 26 of 29
    FnutFnut Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    @Amurro.  I got a command not found error when I pasted the code into terminal (after adding my password).  Anybody know why?
  • Reply 27 of 29
    amurro said:
    IAfter copying and pasting your command into terminal, I did not get past entering my password. 

The message I got was argument - volume a path to a volume that can.............., Example createinstallmedia -volume 

I did not have anything copied to the USB drive.   Any other way to download Sierra:?

The command in the text is incomplete. You can see the full version in the screen capture just below it. Here's what I used (same meaning, slightly different syntax):

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Sierra --applicationpath "/Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app"
  • Reply 28 of 29
    KishoreKishore Posts: 1member
    For step "Select your startup disk, which is usually named Macintosh HD. Just formatting the drive won't do, as it will allow only APFS for SSD-based machines.

Instead, hit Cancel and click Partition. Change the format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and then click Apply." I didn't get the screen shown. In Disk Utility I have the following options
    Internal
        Macintosh HD
    Disk Image 
       OS X Base System

When I select Macintosh HD, I get a window titled "Apple File System Space Sharing" with the following verbiage (typing in just the first few lines, the rest of it is a bit of a pain to type in)
    "APFS volumes share storage space within a container occupying a single container........" and the only options I have are "partition", "cancel" and "add volume". When I select "partiion", it takes me back to the screen showing Disk Utility. Unfortunately I cannot take a screen shot 
  • Reply 29 of 29
    I've not been successful following the instructions. It doesn't allow me to select the USB flash drive as startup disk. Does anybody know if this can be done on a iMac Pro or am I just wasting my time?

Help.