Apple part numbers for 2018 MacBook and iPad models turn up in Eurasia

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited July 2018
Apple could be gearing up to introduce as many as five new MacBook models and five new iPad models sometime in the second half of 2018, regulatory filings out of Eurasia have revealed.

The filings with the Eurasian Economic Commission (EEC), first discovered by French-language website Consomac.fr, are required by any corporation looking to market devices employing encryption in Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Russia.

Among the new part numbers are five model identifiers believed to coincide with the refresh of new MacBook models: A1931, A1932, A1988, A1989 and A1990. Of these, the latter three part numbers are highly believed to reference 2018 updates to the 13" MacBook Pro, the 13" MacBook Pro with TouchBar and the 15" MacBook Pro with TouchBar, respectively.

Identifying the first two Mac part numbers appears to be more challenging, as their numbering convention does not coincide with any pre-existing model identifiers adopted by Apple. One potential explanation would have Apple adopting these part numbers for refreshes to its ultra lightweight portables, namely the 12" MacBook and 13" MacBook Air offerings.

As it stands, updates to the company's most portable notebook -- the 12" MacBook -- have been scant and rather immaterial since the the product line first launched back in 2015, and little information has leaked from the company regarding any forthcoming update. On the other hand, research reports from fairly reliable sources have hinted at a 2018 refresh of the 13" MacBook Air that -- in all likelihood -- would borrow heavily from the more modern design of the 12" MacBook.

It's therefore possible that A1931 and A1932 could represent a consolidation of the 12" MacBook and 13" MacBook Air offerings, with A1931 referring to a refreshed 12" MacBook and A1932 referencing an overhaul to the 13" MacBook Air offering that would closely match the 12" model, only with a larger 13- or even 14-inch display.

2018 MacBook Pro and 2018 iPad and iPad Pro potential part numbers and details

Similarly, the same set of Eurasian data has also disclosed Apple's apparent plans for a sweeping refresh of its iPad tablet offerings, though the five product numbers -- A1876, A2013, A1934, A1979, A2014 -- are more mysterious in nature than their Mac counterparts.

A pair of reports dating back to last year claim that Apple has been working on a "high-end" iPad for release as early as this year that would sport a slimmer bezel and incorporate facial recognition alongside and a TrueDepth camera and an edge-to-edge 11-inch display that would replace the need for a home button and Touch ID.

While the EEC filings offer no insight into when Apple plans on releasing any or all of the new offerings, it's worth noting that each of the new Mac part numbers were filed with references to an existing version of Mac OS (macOS 10.13) and the iPad part numbers with tied to the current iOS 11 release. This would seem to indicate that some or all of the models could theoretically launch prior to the release of the macOS 10.4 and iOS 12 in September, though it would be highly unlikely for Apple unveil new iPads between now and its annual September iPhone event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Do they sell iMacs or Mac minis in those countries?
    exceptionhandlertallest skil
  • Reply 2 of 26
    nabzifnabzif Posts: 16member
    In before- oh, too late.
    anomeStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Cool the way the rumor mill works. Lots of complaining about the Mac and what happens in response? The rumor mill obliges with predictions of Macs all over the place.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I never heard of the Eurasian Economic Union. After a quick Wikipedia review it looks like it is the Russian equivalent to the European Union.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    volcan said:
    I never heard of the Eurasian Economic Union. After a quick Wikipedia review it looks like it is the Russian equivalent to the European Union.
    It's for north-eastern side of the continent; Russia, Armenia, Belarus, Khazakstan and Kyrgyzstan. AI have gleaned a few filings from there recently.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I would be really ticked if the supposed 11” model replaced my 12.9” model. What I would want, is a 13.5” screen with small bezels instead. I really don’t want to go back to a smaller screen.

if this just replaces the current 10.5” pro, that would be good, as they would be getting a bigger screen in the same size case.
    RoseBudduBesoRjohntwolff
  • Reply 7 of 26
    F this. I like Touch ID, and I still don't like the notch. I'll wait util these new models are for sale and buy a previous generation of iPad to save money. 
    digitol
  • Reply 8 of 26
    sailorpaulsailorpaul Posts: 322member
    Apple, Hurry The Hell Up.  I have six weeks before must buy event: son heads off to college.  That’s a hard stop on that decision point.
    claire1
  • Reply 9 of 26
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Apple, Hurry The Hell Up.  I have six weeks before must buy event: son heads off to college.  That’s a hard stop on that decision point.
    What you buy today will more than likely be adequate for anything your son needs. I realize maybe you want latest and greatest, but its not like today's Mac or iPad will be crap once Apple updates them. You never have the latest and greatest forever. 
    RoseBudduBesoRStrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 26

F this. I like Touch ID, and I still don't like the notch. I'll wait util these new models are for sale and buy a previous generation of iPad to save money. 
    Have you ever used FaceID for anything greater than 5 seconds in an Apple Store?
    RoseBudduBesoR
  • Reply 11 of 26
    maybe this is related but feels something must be happening soon. I placed an order for 45 MacBooks a few weeks ago. Normally my orders arrive the next day but not this time. The vendor reported back saying inventory was tight for all of Apple portable line and ETA on delivery was at the end of July. I'm guessing we'll see a refresh of products in August.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 12 of 26
    RoseBudduBesoRRoseBudduBesoR Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    I'm super excited for the new iPad Pros. I've already started saving up in anticipation that they will (at least to some degree) resemble many of the predictions made by Bloomberg and Kuo. But I don't like the 11" talk. If they're going to revamp the iPad Pro line, it has to be both 10.5 and 12.9 upgrades. I personally would prefer a 12.9" iPad with a smaller footprint over a 13.5" screen, although I'd be happy with either. I currently have the 10.5" and while I adore it, the small size is a bit off-putting for what I do.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    I'm super excited for the new iPad Pros. I've already started saving up in anticipation that they will (at least to some degree) resemble many of the predictions made by Bloomberg and Kuo. But I don't like the 11" talk. If they're going to revamp the iPad Pro line, it has to be both 10.5 and 12.9 upgrades. I personally would prefer a 12.9" iPad with a smaller footprint over a 13.5" screen, although I'd be happy with either. I currently have the 10.5" and while I adore it, the small size is a bit off-putting for what I do.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    how2what4 said:
    maybe this is related but feels something must be happening soon. I placed an order for 45 MacBooks a few weeks ago. Normally my orders arrive the next day but not this time. The vendor reported back saying inventory was tight for all of Apple portable line and ETA on delivery was at the end of July. I'm guessing we'll see a refresh of products in August.
    That's actually really interesting, retailers may be gearing up for something. I wouldn't be too surprised if iOS device releases happen at or around the release of iOS 12.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    I really think that the 12" MacBook now can be sold as low as $899.  Think about it, it has even lower specs compared to a non-touch MacBook Pro, yet they're both begin with $1299.

I'm sure that Tim Cook is happy about the price point, though.  But hopefully the price can be lowered if a new design comes out (and probably kills off the non-touch version as well).
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 16 of 26
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Clueless comment. 

I recently had my iPhone stolen on a trip abroad. Had to live on my wife’s 7+ for a couple of weeks. I felt like I had gone back 18 months in a time machine. (Got back to the US, got a new iPhone X, restored it, and I feel like life is back on track again.) You have no idea how superb the new interface is. 
    bshankStrangeDays
  • Reply 17 of 26
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    macxpress said:
    What you buy today will more than likely be adequate for anything your son needs. I realize maybe you want latest and greatest, but its not like today's Mac or iPad will be crap once Apple updates them. You never have the latest and greatest forever. 
    Maybe it will and maybe it won’t. However, it would be good to have as up to date a system as possible to have the utility of the device for as long as possible. And that consideration is before you get over the irritation of paying full price for a long in the tooth product only to have a better version released a few weeks later. If I was sailorpaul I would feel exactly the same way.
    At this point if my iMac broke down and I had to buy a machine right now I would not get a Mac. If I absolutely had to buy a machine in the next six weeks, at the moment without new models I would not get a Mac. All models but the iMac Pro are all way too out of date. A new model would more likely mean a Mac purchase for me.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Clueless comment. 

I recently had my iPhone stolen on a trip abroad. Had to live on my wife’s 7+ for a couple of weeks. I felt like I had gone back 18 months in a time machine. (Got back to the US, got a new iPhone X, restored it, and I feel like life is back on track again.) You have no idea how superb the new interface is. 
    Exact same experience here. :)
  • Reply 19 of 26
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

On the other hand, research reports from fairly reliable sources have hinted at a 2018 refresh of the 13" MacBook Air that -- in all likelihood -- would borrow heavily from the more modern design of the 12" MacBook. 

It's therefore possible that A1931 and A1932 could represent a consolidation of the 12" MacBook and 13" MacBook Air offerings, with A1931 referring to a refreshed 12" MacBook and A1932 referencing an overhaul to the 13" MacBook Air offering that would closely match the 12" model, only with a larger 13- or even 14-inch display.
    I don’t get why this is referred to as an “overhaul of the Air” and not just a new MacBook size. 
  • Reply 20 of 26

On the other hand, research reports from fairly reliable sources have hinted at a 2018 refresh of the 13" MacBook Air that -- in all likelihood -- would borrow heavily from the more modern design of the 12" MacBook. 

I don’t get why this is referred to as an “overhaul of the Air” and not just a new MacBook size. 
    I would think it would just be a brand new Mac laptop which may or may not have the Air naming.