Some of Apple's 2018 iPhones may come in new colors like Blue and Orange

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2020
Apple is working on three colors for this fall's 6.5-inch OLED iPhone, and five for the 6.1-inch LCD model, according to well-connected TF International Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

The iPhone X in an unshipped
The iPhone X in an unshipped "blush gold."

The 6.5-inch phone could come in black, white, and gold, Ming-Chi Kuo said in a memo obtained by AppleInsider. The 6.1-inch device meanwhile could potentially ship in gray, white, blue, red, and orange. "Gray" and "white" may refer to the existing Space Gray and Silver shades Apple uses, particularly since Silver iPhones sometimes have white front bezels.

The iPhone 8 is sold in Gold, Silver, Space Gray, and (Product)Red, while the iPhone X is available only in Silver and Space Gray. In general the company has avoided deviating from any of these shades in recent years, which might cast doubt on Kuo's claimed 6.1-inch colors.

The analyst is known to have good connections in the Apple supply chain however, and there is some precedent. 2013's iPhone 5c came in a range of bright colors, namely blue, green, pink, yellow, and white. Since this year's 6.1-inch iPhone is expected to be a similarly mid-range product, Apple could be adopting other parallel strategies.

In May, Rosenblatt Securities' Jun Zhang also suggested that the 6.1-inch iPhone could come in several colors, though he claimed they might include blue, yellow, and pink.

Apple has periodically been rumored as working on a gold iPhone X, both before and after launch. If true it may be that the company has had a hard time producing the color, and/or didn't see much market incentive to sell it.

On top of the 6.1- and 6.5-inch devices, Apple is also believed to be working on a new 5.8-inch OLED iPhone as a direct follow-up to the iPhone X. Kuo suggests however that the 6.1-inch LCD model could take 50 to 55 percent of launch sales, and an even bigger share going into 2019, aided by a price under $700. The analyst is raising his overall forecast for new iPhones from 75-85 million units to 80-90 million.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Knock! Knock!
    Who’s there?
    Orange!
    Orange who?
    Orange-you-glad-to-see-me?!
    NO! No Orange iPhone! I am NOT glad to see you! Orange?! Seriously?

blastdoor
  • Reply 2 of 29
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    This sounds like something Android would do. Apple has too much class.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    nunzy said:
    Sure they do ...

... but I’m not saying that’s a bad thing. 

It seems like an enormous amount of SKUs to keep track of, and stocked, given the storage options as well, but not insurmountable, especially not for Apple.
    edited July 2018 nunzyronnavon b7
  • Reply 4 of 29
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    mac_128 said:
    nunzy said:
    Sure they do ...

... but I’m not saying that’s a bad thing. 

It seems like an enormous amount of SKUs to keep track of, and stocked, given the storage options as well, but not insurmountable, especially not for Apple.
    It would get 50% easier if they went with one model for all carriers.
    nunzy
  • Reply 5 of 29
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    nunzy said:
    I don't see what the hell lack of class has to do with color options. Nothing wrong with colors, as long as they look nice. 
    nunzyronn
  • Reply 6 of 29
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    How many people use their phone with a case? I'm guessing most protect their phone, so I've always wondered about the need for a range of colors...
  • Reply 7 of 29
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    thrang said:
    How many people use their phone with a case? I'm guessing most protect their phone, so I've always wondered about the need for a range of colors...
    If you opt into Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program, there's less of an incentive to keep your devices in pristine condition by adding the extra bulk of a case or skin -- at least that's how I look at it. As long as you do not completely destroy the device, you'll be able to upgrade to a new phone in 12 months and Apple will accept your old one. Obviously this will not work well for inherently clumsy people who have a tendency to drop and smash their iPhone, because there's up to a $199 incident fee when you get to the iPhone X. But as someone who does not drop their phone, I prefer going caseless than adding the extra bulk of a case to preserve my inevitable trade-in. My biggest issues are scratches to the screen when keys or other items end up in the same pocket as my phone. But by the time those scratches add up to become noticeable, it's time for a new iPhone. 
    edited July 2018 gatorguyronnpatchythepirate
  • Reply 8 of 29
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    slurpy said:
    nunzy said:
    I don't see what the hell lack of class has to do with color options. Nothing wrong with colors, as long as they look nice. 
    I agree and I'm kinda sick and tired of everything Apple releases coming in silver, space gray, gold, and rose gold. I have long wanted an anodized colored aluminum iPhone like Apple did with the iPod Touch. The Red iPhone 8 looks amazing IMO. If Apple can do this with the next iPhone, I think it would work well for them. 

As much as some people didn't like the iPhone 5c, I actually really liked it. I think it served its purpose very well for Apple during that time. Making it colored aluminum which Apple has lots of experience in could make it even better as I don't think it would be perceived as "cheap" looking like some said the iPhone 5c was. 
    mbenz1962nunzyboltsfan17netroxentropyswilliamlondonronnsphericpatchythepirate
  • Reply 9 of 29
    mbenz1962mbenz1962 Posts: 171member
    macxpress said:
    slurpy said:
    nunzy said:
    I agree and I'm kinda sick and tired of everything Apple releases coming in silver, space gray, gold, and rose gold. I have long wanted an anodized colored aluminum iPhone like Apple did with the iPod Touch. The Red iPhone 8 looks amazing IMO. If Apple can do this with the next iPhone, I think it would work well for them. 

As much as some people didn't like the iPhone 5c, I actually really liked it. I think it served its purpose very well for Apple during that time. Making it colored aluminum which Apple has lots of experience in could make it even better as I don't think it would be perceived as "cheap" looking like some said the iPhone 5c was. 
    I agree.  I thought the 8 looked so amazing in red that I bought it over the X.  I also saved my self some €€€€ to boot.
    nunzyronnpatchythepirate
  • Reply 10 of 29
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 808member
    The new 5.8”still only gets the same colors, space gray and silver!  Apple is punishing the smaller size iPhones again!  Does sales not mean anything to Apple?  The new oled 6.5” iPhone comes in 6 colors?
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 11 of 29
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    The new 5.8”still only gets the same colors, space gray and silver!  Apple is punishing the smaller size iPhones again!  Does sales not mean anything to Apple?  The new oled 6.5” iPhone comes in 6 colors?
    Keep in mind everything is speculation until it's actually announced. It could be that everything released is in the same silver, space gray and gold colors. We'll see!
  • Reply 12 of 29
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    If they are going to do blue, hopefully it’s midnight blue. Saw a mock up of a midnight blue iPhone 7 and it was gorgeous. 
    edited July 2018 williamlondonronnpatchythepirate
  • Reply 13 of 29
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    I know he mentions the 6.5 inch specifically for the gold color option but I bet, if available, it would be for both the 5.8 and 6.5 OLED models. 
  • Reply 14 of 29
    farmboyfarmboy Posts: 152member
    mbenz1962 said:
    I agree.  I thought the 8 looked so amazing in red that I bought it over the X.  I also saved my self some €€€€ to boot.
    Wife has red, looks good. Maybe this cycle I'll upgrade from my silver 6. I don't really care which new color, just show some life, Apple.

Should we address you as Heckflosse or Fintail? I loved my 1961 220S, alas gone 'lo these many years. Long live the Ribbon Speedo!
    mbenz1962spheric
  • Reply 15 of 29
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    thrang said:
    Anectdotal evidence at best, but I’d say 80% of the iphones I see on a daily basis do not have a case.

That said, I know someone who bought the red iPhone as soon as it was available only to put it in a red case, which showed none of the actual phone color. Maybe it’s like cleaning on top of the refrigerator — you never see it, but you know it’s there?
    ronn
  • Reply 16 of 29
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I would love to have a midnight blue iPhone. 
  • Reply 17 of 29
    My guess is that they expect to have lots of LCD panels but will be supply constrained on the OLED ones. I still find it weird to think of them selling a smaller screened device for more money. Though I guess they're kinda doing that with the MacBook Air. I hope they don't do something stupid like say that the A12 is only in the 5.8 and the 6.5 but the 6.1 is an A11. Personally I plan on getting something with Face ID this fall. OLED to me isn't a selling point right now though. I typically end up running my screens at way less than full brightness most of the time, and if anything I'd rather have the colour on my iPhone be closer to what my Mac and iPad have. I am at the point now where I'm seriously wondering what phone I'm even gonna want when the fall comes around. I've. been rocking an SE for the last two years because I HATED the size of the 6. At the same time that was when i rode the bus a lot and often wanted to text one handed in the cold. Today I have a car and can sit my phone to charge at my desk while I work. So I'd probably be fine with a bigger phone, and it might be nicer for reading news articles while at work. Pencil support is really what would drive me to pick one model over the others.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    TaboliTaboli Posts: 1member
    nunzy said:
    Android is a free operating system for phones, tablets, and other devices, Android doesn't make phones.  Samsung makes Android phones, as do a slew of other manufacturers, perhaps they would, make phones in colors, but Android wouldn't and doesn't.  Google does make a few phones (previously the Nexus line, now the Pixel line, but they were/are only available in black and white.

Oh, and I presume you meant to say, Apple had too much class, since obviously they don't anymore.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Taboli said:
    Oh, and I presume you meant to say, Apple had too much class, since obviously they don't anymore.
    Great job, one and done. We sure believe you now.
    macxpresspatchythepirate
  • Reply 20 of 29
    olsols Posts: 50member
    Kuo again? Perhaps he is dreaming about making some money with his false predictions some day... 
    williamlondon