Steve Jobs, Theranos' Elizabeth Holmes, and when the 'reality distortion field' fails

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2020
The disgraced Theranos founder modeled herself after Steve Jobs, in everything from speaking style to wardrobe. But, as an acclaimed new book about the debacle shows, Jobs-like vision couldn't mask a product that didn't work.

Throughout the very public rise and fall of the blood testing startup Theranos, the company's young founder, Elizabeth Holmes, was never shy about declaring Steve Jobs her role model.

Like Jobs, Holmes dropped out of college and set off for Silicon Valley with dreams of making products that changed the world. Like Jobs, Holmes founded a tech company at an uncommonly young age. Like Jobs, Holmes spoke with a deep voice and favored black turtlenecks. In 2015, Holmes appeared on the cover of the business magazine Inc., next to the words "The Next Steve Jobs."

Unlike Jobs, however, Holmes wasn't able to actually create a product that could change the world. Or even one that worked at all.

Elizabeth Holmes has surrendered to the FBI and faces 20 years in prison. A long way down from this @Inc cover a few years back..https://t.co/AwEwmeCsVJ pic.twitter.com/q0f5ugfs9e

-- Natalie Novick (@NNovick)

Not long after that magazine cover, Theranos' product was proven as a fraud, and Holmes and her company president/romantic partner Ramesh "Sunny" Balwani were indicted last month on federal charges, with Holmes herself facing nine counts of wire fraud and two counts of conspiracy to commit wire fraud.

Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley startup, an acclaimed, bestselling new book by John Carreyrou -- the Wall Street Journal reporter who broke the story of the company's fraud -- delivers the blow-by-blow of Theranos' making and unmaking. And it also shows that Apple had an even greater influence on Theranos than originally thought.

What Theranos said it was

Theranos was founded in 2003 by Holmes, who was only 19 years old at the time and had dropped out of Stanford. The long-term goal of the company was to create a machine that could test blood, with the prick of a finger, and provide faster and more complete results than what is currently available from testing labs.

The company pursued this mission for years. They grew slowly at first, but eventually raised serious amounts of venture capital, which at one point valued the company at $9 billion. Holmes' on-paper net worth at one point was in the billions as well. Theranos partnered with drug companies and retailers -- including Walgreens -- and was for a time the toast of the tech media, with Holmes appearing on numerous magazine covers.

Theranos later attracted a board that consisted of various establishment luminaries, including former Secretaries of State Henry Kissinger and George Shultz, as well as now-Secretary of Defense James Mattis. Rupert Murdoch and the Walton family, founders of Walmart, and another current cabinet member, education secretary Betsy DeVos, were among the nine-figure investors.

Theranos blew it with their magic blood machines, but the biotech world is looking up. https://t.co/EXK64mmZED pic.twitter.com/maPU652wRz

-- WIRED (@WIRED)

The problem was, in all of those years, Theranos never actually delivered the technology that it promised. It made two different versions of its machine, neither of which worked reliably, to the point where the company ended up doing most of its tests on machines it bought from Siemens. For years, Holmes and the company lied to investors, partners, their own board and the press about what the product could do.

Theranos was operated with draconian security. Personal communications were spied on, leading to a constant atmosphere of fear and distrust that led to massive turnover. Dissenters were purged, and investors were lied to. Employees suspected of talking to the media where followed and threatened by a legal team led by the famous attorney David Boies, who himself owned a stake in the company.

Meanwhile, Theranos perpetuated the fraud by making a point of both using venture capital firms and hiring board members who weren't sophisticated about blood testing or even health care at all.

The fraud continued for a number of years, until Carreyrou -- relying on multiple ex-employees as sources -- broke the story in the Journal in late 2015. In a surprising moment of moral courage Rupert Murdoch, the owner of the newspaper and a man who had himself invested in Theranos, rejected a personal, in-person appeal from Holmes to block the publication of Carreyrou's first piece.

Murdoch refused even though the collapse of Theranos would cause Murdoch to personally lose hundreds of millions of dollars. Holmes, who had turned out all interview requests from the reporter, met with Murdoch in the same building and at the same time that Carreyrou was in the newsroom, finishing up the story.

The Theranos fraud was insidious not only in that it purloined a lot of people's money. It also spread false hope about nonexistent medical breakthroughs, and even stood to put lives in danger. Providing patients with inaccurate blood test results, as Theranos did as part of multiple pilot programs, had the potential for catastrophic medical consequences.

A heavy Apple influence

The book makes even clearer than before just how much of an influence Apple and Steve Jobs had on Holmes and Theranos.

Holmes, Bad Blood writes in a chapter called "Apple Envy," referred early on to the Theranos system as "the iPod of health care," and predicted that one day the machine would be found in every household in the country.

In 2007, the year of the first iPhone, Theranos poached several employees from Apple. Ana Arriola, a product designer who had been on the iPhone team, joined Theranos that year as the company's chief design architect.

While aesthetics have never been especially important in the medical testing field, Theranos wanted to bring an Apple-like design sensibility to their testing machine. It was Arriola's idea, according to the book, for Holmes to wear Jobs-style black turtlenecks, and the Theranos machines certainly looked passably like something Apple might design.

In addition Avie Tevanian, an Apple and NeXT veteran described as "one of Steve Jobs' oldest and closest friends," was a Theranos board member in the company's early days. However, the entire Apple contingent, Tevanian included, quickly grew disillusioned with the company and left one by one within a year.

Arriola, after stints at Sony, Samsung and Facebook, recently joined Microsoft; Tevanian went on to found a "NeXT-themed venture fund."

In October 2011, when Jobs died, Holmes insisted on waving an Apple flag at half mast outside of Theranos' offices. When no one was able to find an Apple flag, an employee went and had one made, as work "came to a standstill" while Holmes waited for the flag to arrive.

Holmes, for awhile after that, took to referring to Jobs as "Steve" and told one employee that she suspected Jobs was a believer in 9/11 conspiracy theories, as he had allowed a documentary about them to be sold in the iTunes Store. She would even name one of the in-development testing machines the "4S," after the iPhone model that had come out that fall.

Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs

Later that year, Carreyrou writes, Holmes began "borrowing behaviors and management techniques" attributed to Jobs in Walter Isaacson's authorized biography. The book was published weeks after Jobs' death and Holmes and many other Theranos employees were reading at the time.

People in the business world collecting wisdom and advice from that book was not exactly a rare phenomenon at that particular point in time, but Holmes took it further than most. It got to the point where employees "could pinpoint which chapter she was on based on which period of Jobs' career she was impersonating," according to Bad Blood.

In 2012, Theranos brought in Chiat/Day, the advertising agency responsible for some of Apple's most iconic ad campaigns, to handle its account. Theranos paid the agency an annual retainer of $6 million, and the company would later bring Patrick O'Neill, the company's creative director, in-house.

Apple, against the backdrop of Theranos' implosion, has pushed further into the health space itself, even recently patenting something resembling a blood pressure cuff However, Apple has never promised anything as pie-in-the-sky as instant blood-testing results.

Reality distortion field

Beyond all of that, there was one primary thing Jobs and Holmes had in common. Apple's Bud Tribble said in 1981 that Jobs made use of a "reality distortion field"- a term, derived from a 1960s "Star Trek" episode, that sought to explain Jobs' otherworldly charisma and its inexplicable effect on others.

"Steve has a reality distortion field," Tribble explained to Apple's Andy Hertzfeld. "In his presence, reality is malleable. He can convince anyone of practically anything. It wears off when he's not around, but it makes it hard to have realistic schedules."

The "reality distortion field" was also sometimes used by Jobs against himself, to convince himself that things were going better than they really were.

Holmes, clearly, behaved similarly, even taking it further than Jobs in extending it to the totality of the company's product itself. The book also makes clear that Holmes' charisma was almost Jobs-like, in that she could bring employees, investors and journalists under her spell. Carreyrou gives several examples, but one stands out: Early in the company's history, when the Theranos board had agreed in advance of a meeting to fire her as CEO. But then Holmes showed up at the meeting and talked them out of it.

The "reality distortion field" concept was referenced repeatedly in Isaacson's Jobs biography, which Carreyrou's book established was read by Holmes and many of the other top people at Theranos.

For Holmes, the reality distortion continues. In a Q&A on Reddit last month, Carreyrou said that Holmes "showed up at work on Tuesday. I'm told she continues to feel she did nothing wrong and is planning on taking this to trial. You could say she's in complete denial."

Drawing lessons

The Theranos debacle revealed many things. Most notably, it showed that a great many people in the tech world, from investors to board members to journalists, don't know the first thing about how the products actually work. When Silicon Valley was confronted with a product that, literally, never worked it all, it took more than a decade for the truth to come to light.

Around the time of Jobs' death, a lot of people wanted to tell the story of a "new Steve Jobs," and many in Silicon Valley were taken with the idea of that new Jobs being female, at a time when first companies in tech are led by women. Holmes, though, was clearly not that person; there's a chance there may not ever be one at all.

Apple's legacy has had numerous positive effects, there's no question about that, and a great many products developed by Steve Jobs really have changed the world. But the Theranos story, as demonstrated by Bad Blood, shows that the ideas and attributes of Steve Jobs can also inspire bad actors to spread false hope and perpetuate massive fraud.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    Steve Hack?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    But but but but but but PC users tell me that Apple’s only success is MARKETING!

Still! Today! IN TWENTY-EIGHTEEN.
    lkruppclaire1
  • Reply 3 of 64
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I really admired Elizabeth Holmes and was gutted when she turned out to be a fraud. 

Another way of saying someone has a "reality distortion field" is to say they have the skill of persuasion. But it's not enough to just have that, it also has to be that the thing you are persuading people about is technically doable, and that was the difference between her and Jobs. 

I saw Bad Blood in the bookshop about a week ago and have been waiting to finish my current book before buying it.
    badmonk
  • Reply 4 of 64
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Steve may have had his issues and he did tell a few lies and say a few faux pas along the way ("you're holding it wrong"), but to compare Holmes to Jobs I think is really unfair to Jobs.    Jobs created an immensely successful company with great products that everyone loved.   The first Mac, although very underpowered, was far more a success than a blood testing machine that didn't and couldn't work.   And with the possible exception of those back-dated shares,  Apple never committed fraud.   

Jobs may have had a very big ego, but I believe that Holmes is a psychotic.    Copying the way that Jobs dressed is just one sign. What does dressing like Jobs have to do with running a successful company?   I'm surprised she didn't shave her head to match Steve's baldness. 

Just having a great idea isn't enough.  You have to be able to execute.   I can, for example, imagine what the perfect home healthcare robot would be like.  That doesn't mean I could create a company or the technology that would produce them.   
    ronnviclauyycfastasleep
  • Reply 5 of 64
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    To even remotely compare some inexperienced little know-nothing who is a brazen liar that presided over a complete and utter fabrication and falsehood to a man who built a multi-trillion dollar industry (with its first set of products co-built by his hands, no less), transformed it multiple times, transformed lives globally, produced employment for millions, in the process helping to create the most valuable company in the world..... is a travesty.
    edited July 2018 ronncpenzoneuraharapscooter63GG1DAalsethradarthekatgeorgie01jony0
  • Reply 6 of 64
    cabassicabassi Posts: 28member
    Like Jobs, Holmes spoke with a deep voice and favored black turtlenecks. 
    Steve Jobs actually spoke with a fairly high voice. 
    ronnmelodyof1974gumashowRayz2016backstabfastasleepkuduGeorgeBMacopa karljony0
  • Reply 7 of 64
    cpenzonecpenzone Posts: 114member
    Stop even mentioning Steve Jobs' name in the same sentence as Holmes. Jobs may have had a reality distortion field but he built honest, high-quality products. Holmes was nothing more than a charlatan at a circus selling snake oil.
    SendMcjakmelodyof1974anantksundarampscooter63SoliRayz2016GG1backstabkudujony0
  • Reply 8 of 64
    65026502 Posts: 380member
    ascii said:
    I really admired Elizabeth Holmes and was gutted when she turned out to be a fraud. 

Another way of saying someone has a "reality distortion field" is to say they have the skill of persuasion. But it's not enough to just have that, it also has to be that the thing you are persuading people about is technically doable, and that was the difference between her and Jobs. 

I saw Bad Blood in the bookshop about a week ago and have been waiting to finish my current book before buying it.
    You won't admire her or Sunny after reading the book. It was actually one of the best books I've ever read. I've been following the Theranos story for many years and was even recruited by them (I work in biotech) but thankfully never seriously considered it. I always suspected she was a fraud; it is one thing to be a great programmer in high school but to be an expert in biochemistry, enzymology and assay development takes a formal education.
    asciiSendMcjakviclauyycfastasleepkudularryjw
  • Reply 9 of 64
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    At some point you have to walk the talk, show substance behind the imagery, and be the real version of who you are instead of a fake version of someone you want to be.

I've always found the term "reality distortion field" to be disingenuous and shallow on the part of those using it to denigrate Steve Jobs. Steve Jobs appeared to be very good at imagery and reaching out at an emotionally reactive level, both good and bad, to those around him and in public forums. Is touching the raw nerves, hopes, dreams, and desires of real people a distortion of reality? I don't think so. It's more real than feeding them BS, telling them only what they want to hear, or throwing in the towel of mediocrity so they don't even dare to dream. 
    pscooter63radarthekat
  • Reply 10 of 64
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Missing a big point. Scientists in the field knew and warned that the claims Holmes and Theranos made were not true. 

This fraud could happen only in a country that runs on marketing and not facts. This explains the US.

Scientific American used to be just a magazine; now it’s an oxymoron. 

wonkothesanemdriftmeyerviclauyycbackstabJWSCkuduGeorgeBMaclmacjony0
  • Reply 11 of 64
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I have this book on my iPad, and it’s fascinating.

as far as the reality distortion field goes, a writer, I forget who he is, a number of years ago, said that Jobs didn’t have a reality distortion field. He said that Jobs had a reality creation field. I think that that was an excellent description, because the visions Jobs presented us with worked out, even if it took years, and new technologies to do so.
    wonkothesaneradarthekatJWSCRayz2016GeorgeBMacjony0
  • Reply 12 of 64
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    This is a really dumb article on an Apple site, as this woman is simply a liar & fraud.  I am so tired of liars in the world, but on this scale it is quite insane.  
  • Reply 13 of 64
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Steve had Woz to make great products. She ain't got no Woz.

She might she might be just exactly the same as Steve Jobs. But she ain't got no Woz.

yojimbo007
  • Reply 14 of 64
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Both were young charismatic people with big ideas. However,
    One followed them up with products, great products.
    One followed them up with nothing. It was just lies.

That's the difference between a visionary working at the bleeding edge of technology, and a simple fraudster. I hope they throw the book at her.
    nunzy
  • Reply 15 of 64
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    zoetmb said:
    Just having a great idea isn't enough.  You have to be able to execute...
    Our culture is bombarded with the false message, ‘You can do anything. Believe in yourself!’ It might be meant to express that there isn’t anything deficient about a particular person stopping them from accomplishing something, and that drive is a big part of success, which are nice ideas. But it’s also a lie. We can’t do anything we want. We have limitations in intelligence and aptitude. And just because we try hard and are determined doesn’t mean we will succeed. As you said, ‘You have to be able to execute’, and we’re not all able to execute simply whatever we want.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 16 of 64
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    You waste your life attempting to emulate something you aren't innately imbued with, and it seems too many dropouts think the next step to success is to play pretend Steven P. Jobs. There was only ever one and will never be duplicated.

He made a 3 hour presentation feel like 30 minutes and you walked out charged for the rest of the day.

You either have that presence or you don't. It's not bottled, nor does it come from a pill. There were no gurus who unlocked his ability to convey and synthesize what one may or may not do with technologies he and a mass of brilliant people brought to market. Steve encapsulated a paired down vision of what the products can do. He recognized highlighting a few universal value propositions in each product is what either grabs or repulses a consumer.

What about blood processing is going to grab the consumer? Nothing. Fraud alert should have been obvious even before professionals in the field rightly called her one.

Musk is the next up to try and be Steve. He's slowly discovering that scorched earth campaigns against his staff will ultimately sink his facade.

Steve was a maestro but he made sure the Orchestra actually performed.

Even the perceived `failure' turned out to be the only reason Apple became what it is today. That failure was NeXT.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    nunzy said:
    Steve had Woz to make great products. She ain't got no Woz.

She might she might be just exactly the same as Steve Jobs. But she ain't got no Woz.

Woz made the products in the first place. Steve was more like a helper and salesman then the boss. 
    Without Woz, there will be no production for Steve to sale and company to build upon. But without Steve, there will be no Apple as we now know. 
    nunzyGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 64
    backstabbackstab Posts: 138member
    "Reality distortion field"
    This phrase  is forever "distorted" (and it continues to be, even in this AI article).
    I wish it could just disappear.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    "In a surprising moment of moral courage Rupert Murdoch, the owner of the newspaper and a man who had himself invested in Theranos, rejected a personal, in-person appeal from Holmes to block the publication of Carreyrou's first piece"

Since he was probably one ripped-off and pissed-off investor, I think revenge may also be a 
    possibility.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 20 of 64
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    All power to women but sometimes feminism just seems so desperate.
    GeorgeBMac