The Touch Bar on the MacBook Pro is well implemented, but serves no useful purpose

Comments

• Reply 121 of 190
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned the biggest problem with the TouchBar. It is unusable for someone who is visually impaired. I have a friend that has used the MacIntosh since the first one in 1984. He uses all of the accessibility options for a visually impaired person. He cannot see or feel the different keys on the TouchBar. This is the first computer that Apple has made that he cannot use at all. He actually bought one and had to return it when he couldn't use it. He is a touch typist and had problems when they changed the spacing on the keys before the TouchBar, but nothing like the ones he had with the TouchBar. He uses the esc key to read to him what he has selected on the screen. He can't find the esc key. Since he can't feel it, he doesn't know when he is on it. His vision is bad enough that the minimum size he can see on the screen is expanded 20 times. So imagine a TouchBar that you can't see or feel and that moves what is on it, depending on what application you are in.

i am very disappointed in Apple, since in the past they were always the best for visually impaired people. In this case they obviously never even thought about the effect on this group of people at all. Just so you know, I prefer to use MacIntosh computers. I was employed at Apple for 12 years as a software engineer. 

Blackbird
    1) Based on your comments Apple are bunch of insensitive pricks for making the iPhone and iPad, too, since you don't consider any of the Accessibility options they've added to  their touch-based OSes for the visually impaired.

2) I guess all the effort Apple is spearheading with the USB-iF for adding universal Braille support is just a bunch of bullshit. Or… you're the one that's making shit up.

3) I guess you also haven't considered that most Macs being sold come with the standard 'fn' keys and that you can use any number of other keyboards with the few Macs that do come with the Touch Bar. But why would an obvious troll actually put any thought into a comment?
    edited July 2018 StrangeDays
  • Reply 122 of 190
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The touch bar is worse than useless - it took away the real functionality and feedback of physical keys. I hit that stupid Siri button by accident all the time, and what I wouldn't give for a proper escape key! The whole keyboard on the 2016 and newer Macbooks was a huge step backward from the feel and function of the previous generation. After living with it for 8 months, I still hate typing on my 15" 2016 Macbook Pro compared to my 2011 MacBook Air. The feedback was so much better on the older keyboard.
    The touch bar isn't totally useless but the implementation is wanting.   You are right about the escape button and the general feel of the keyboards (which has nothing to do with the touch bar by the way), but the touch bar itself has significant potential in my mind.   Developers and users need to embrace it though.   Me - I've given up on Apples notebooks they have become the Chrysler of notebook manufacturing if you ask me.    My HP ENVY runs circles around the MBP that it replaced with Linux just as stable as Mac OS and far ahead of Windows.

In a nut shel the touch bar has nothing to do with rejecting Apples Notebooks.   The problem is that they are not seeing any significant development effort nor rational upgrades.
  • Reply 123 of 190
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    bigpics said:
    It's the keys below the keyboard that vex me.  I can't type well on it and don't want to type louder and I eat at my Mac (with no problems in the last 15 years), so no way crumbs aren't going to get in.

But I'm nursing my 2013 MBA waiting for a MBP I could love, not one crippled by marketing decisions (Thin! Thin! Thin! No Touchscreen Ever! No matter what! Don't you really want an iPad Pro instead? [NO!] ).  And so this sentence near the end crushed me:

"...we're starting to wonder if Apple wants to build a machine without a physical keyboard, and one with all virtual keys."

I really, really don't want to go back to Windows and its learning curve and replacing Mac only ways of doing things.  But I feel I'm being pushed in that direction hard.

I think it's not us in the reality distortion field, rather, Apple management themselves.  In so many ways they're killing the Mac line via the few design parameters they're allowing to rule.

Move to Linux!   The transfer can be easier than you might think.
  • Reply 124 of 190
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    OK I’m going to be the contrarian... it does come in handy at times. For instance...

1) When plugging in an external screen, it immediately gives you an opportunity to choose the mode for that screen (mirror or extend) without needing to find the display preferences.

2) I can easily start and control a video without moving the mouse on an external display that causes UI to appear. This is useful when using the Mac to play videos to a live audience.

3) Starting and controlling keynote presentations during live use.

4) Adjusting audio levels of video/audio live without any screen UI and fluidly.

pscooter63cgWerks
  • Reply 125 of 190
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I so well remember having to hold classes to teach people how to use a Mac's mouse back in the day.  My poor training staff had to take a lot of flack.  At least half of most classes at our Apple Store training sessions could not get it, they claimed no ability to coordinate their hand movement with what they wanted to do on screen.  Many argued typing was faster.  Many became frustrated and angry claiming it was ridiculous and was just a gimmick from Apple.
    edited July 2018 fastasleep
  • Reply 126 of 190
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    wizard69 said:
    bigpics said:
    It's the keys below the keyboard that vex me.  I can't type well on it and don't want to type louder and I eat at my Mac (with no problems in the last 15 years), so no way crumbs aren't going to get in.

But I'm nursing my 2013 MBA waiting for a MBP I could love, not one crippled by marketing decisions (Thin! Thin! Thin! No Touchscreen Ever! No matter what! Don't you really want an iPad Pro instead? [NO!] ).  And so this sentence near the end crushed me:

"...we're starting to wonder if Apple wants to build a machine without a physical keyboard, and one with all virtual keys."

I really, really don't want to go back to Windows and its learning curve and replacing Mac only ways of doing things.  But I feel I'm being pushed in that direction hard.

I think it's not us in the reality distortion field, rather, Apple management themselves.  In so many ways they're killing the Mac line via the few design parameters they're allowing to rule.

Great idea if you want to run databases, web sites and mmmm... let me think ... mmm... 
    cgWerks
  • Reply 127 of 190
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    MacPro said:
    wizard69 said:
    bigpics said:

Great idea if you want to run databases, web sites and mmmm... let me think ... mmm... 
    If people can accept the fact that most thing won't work as they first thought.
  • Reply 128 of 190
    MacPro said:
    I so well remember having to hold classes to teach people how to use a Mac's mouse back in the day.  My poor training staff had to take a lot of flack.  At least half of most classes at our Apple Store training sessions could not get it, they claimed no ability to coordinate their hand movement with what they wanted to do on screen.  Many argued typing was faster.  Many became frustrated and angry claiming it was ridiculous and was just a gimmick from Apple.
    "The nature of the personal computer is simply not fully understood by companies like Apple (or anyone else for that matter). Apple makes the arrogant assumption of thinking that it knows what you want and need. It, unfortunately, leaves the “why” out of the equation — as in “why would I want this?” The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a ‘mouse’. There is no evidence that people want to use these things. I don't want one of these new fangled devices." — John C. Dvorak, San Francisco Examiner, 19 Feb. 1984

fastasleep
  • Reply 129 of 190
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    ascii said:
    If the verdict is still out after 21 months then the verdict is not still out. 

There comes a point when a claim changes from being "not true yet" to being "not true" simply by virtue of the amount of time that has passed.
    Not really, how long were keyboards on laptops  close to the user on hundreds of PC's before Apple moved the keypad away from the user? Eventually everyone followed. Unfortunately Apple has not realised yet that the strip is in the wrong spot.

edited July 2018 numenorean
  • Reply 130 of 190
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member
    DuhSesame said:
    KITA said:
    gbdoc said:
    Touch bar's like pyjamas on a horse: cute, arguably even cool, but totally unnecessary, let alone useful. Drop it, Apple, save the money for improving the innards.
    Agreed!

I mean, just look at this:

I'm not even interest in how he tested his device.
    The benefits of CUDA in Premiere Pro is no secret. The 2018 Aero 15X sweeps the 2017 MacBook Pro.

In Dave Lee's words:

If you're an Adobe user, and you're looking to buy a new computer, and you're looking at a MacBook Pro. You're wrong. That's the wrong device. You need to be buying a Windows laptop right now.

cgWerks
  • Reply 131 of 190
    KITA said:
    DuhSesame said:
    KITA said:
    gbdoc said:
    Touch bar's like pyjamas on a horse: cute, arguably even cool, but totally unnecessary, let alone useful. Drop it, Apple, save the money for improving the innards.
    Agreed!

The benefits of CUDA in Premiere Pro is no secret. The 2018 Aero 15X sweeps the 2017 MacBook Pro.

In Dave Lee's words:

If you're an Adobe user, and you're looking to buy a new computer, and you're looking at a MacBook Pro. You're wrong. That's the wrong device. You need to be buying a Windows laptop right now.

Sure.

Frankly, my dear, I don't care.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 132 of 190
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    "The nature of the personal computer is simply not fully understood by companies like Apple (or anyone else for that matter). Apple makes the arrogant assumption of thinking that it knows what you want and need. It, unfortunately, leaves the “why” out of the equation — as in “why would I want this?” The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a ‘mouse’. There is no evidence that people want to use these things. I don't want one of these new fangled devices." — John C. Dvorak, San Francisco Examiner, 19 Feb. 1984

It's getting redundant.  Most reviews and commentators would rather spent their time spreading his "opinion" than actually dig something useful in.

Probably the same thing for the touch bar and the keyboard too.  Remember people used to say they start to like the new keyboard?
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 133 of 190
    DuhSesame said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:

It's getting redundant.  Most reviews and commentators would rather spent their time spreading his "opinion" than actually dig something useful in.
    His "opinion" is germane in demonstrating that the same sentiment has been said about Apple for 4 decades now despite Apple continually creating products and features that armchair experts say no one wanted, no one needs, and that are clear signs that the company is ushering in its impending doom. And, yet, they continue to thrive despite not building the Homer Car many here expect from Apple.
    pscooter63fastasleep
  • Reply 134 of 190
    DuhSesame said:
    KITA said:
    DuhSesame said:
    KITA said:
    gbdoc said:
    Agreed!

In Dave Lee's words:

Sure.

If you actually didn't care, you wouldn't have posted a snide comment in the first place.
    avon b7
  • Reply 135 of 190
    KITA said:
    DuhSesame said:
    KITA said:
    DuhSesame said:
    KITA said:
    gbdoc said:
    Agreed!

In Dave Lee's words:

Sure.

If you actually didn't care, you wouldn't have posted a snide comment in the first place.
    I don't care.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 136 of 190
    KITA said:
    DuhSesame said:
    KITA said:
    DuhSesame said:
    KITA said:
    gbdoc said:
    Agreed!

In Dave Lee's words:

Sure.

There's nothing derogatory or mocking in his statement. Is it merely dismissive of your silly post, which I wholeheartedly agree.
    edited July 2018 fastasleep
  • Reply 137 of 190
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    wizard69 said:
    For generic terminals in schools and offices, *NIX variants are actually pretty great. Far fewer headaches than Windows, customizable, and people have had me switch them to a Mac for their personal machines because of what they’ve seen there. All it takes sometimes is a single feature. “Wait, you can still scroll background windows?” “Yep.” “Can you do that on a Mac? I’ve heard it’s like Linux.” “Yep.” “Huh…” Of course, “it’s like linux” isn’t the most accurate or technical comparison, but it worked.

For industry-specific applications, of course you’d need Windows or OS X. Though I’ve heard WINE is getting pretty good…
  • Reply 138 of 190
    Soli said:
    KITA said:
    DuhSesame said:
    KITA said:
    DuhSesame said:
    KITA said:
    gbdoc said:
    Agreed!

In Dave Lee's words:

Sure.

There's nothing derogatory or mocking in his statement. Is it merely dismissive of your silly post, which I wholeheartedly agree.
    He went out of his way to make the statement. It's quite obviously mocking as he doesn't even bother to address the issue.

There's nothing silly about it. It's completely true. The internals of the MacBook Pro are in need of an update. If you're a creative and use Adobe software, the MacBook Pro is simply put, the wrong tool.
    edited July 2018 avon b7cgWerks
  • Reply 139 of 190
    KITA said:
    Soli said:
    KITA said:
    DuhSesame said:
    KITA said:
    DuhSesame said:
    KITA said:
    gbdoc said:
    Agreed!

In Dave Lee's words:

Sure.

He went out of his way to make the statement. It's quite obviously mocking as he doesn't even bother to address the issue.

There's nothing silly about it. It's completely true. The internals of the MacBook Pro is in need of an update. If you're a creative and use Adobe software, the MacBook Pro is simply put, the wrong tool.
    Your comment is asinine because you make a ridiculous "Agreed" statement to the OP that implies Apple hasn't updated to newer Intel processors cause they invested in the Touch Bar years ago. It's a silly post hoc fallacy that has nothing to do with this editorial.
  • Reply 140 of 190
    Soli said:

Your comment is asinine because you make a ridiculous "Agreed" statement to the OP that implies Apple hasn't updated to newer Intel processors cause they invested in the Touch Bar years ago. It's a silly post hoc fallacy that has nothing to do with this editorial.
    Instead of putting R&D towards making the Touch Bar fit in the chassis, they could have spent the time fitting better hardware. It's directly related. The Touch Bar is a waste. It adds to Apple's cost, which adds to the consumer's cost. Nothing about that is asinine, only your attempts to defend his comment.
    avon b7