Apple's latest iPhone X ad uses Face ID to ease password worries

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has published a new commercial to its YouTube channel, with a video highlighting the usefulness of Face ID on the iPhone X to help its users stop worrying about forgetting passwords for online services.

The "Memory" ad spot opens with a large theater applauding two figures on a stage, in a surreal public memory challenge. For the participant's final challenge, the host asks "This morning you created an online banking password. What is it?"

Following gasps from the audience, the contestant starts talking to himself, trying to remember what he had set. As time runs out, the audience starts jeering at the man, intensifying the stressful situation.

Suddenly, the contestant pulls out an iPhone X showing an authentication screen with the password box empty. Face ID activates, fills in the box, and allows him entry. The man then has a look of relief at being able to log in, with the scene revealing he is actually sat inside a coffee shop, still holding the iPhone X.

"Your face is your password," the video declares while the man waves his iPhone in celebration to the "memory challenge" audience, before revealing the ad was about Face ID on iPhone X.

The new commercial is one of a number Apple has produced to promote Face ID and its functionality. March's "Unlock" commercial featured a high school student unlocking various things by looking at them, after using Face ID to unlock her iPhone.

Another March ad showed a man using Face ID with Apple Pay to buy items while walking through a market. In April, a series of shorter spots showed how Face ID's biometric authentication can be used to quickly pay for goods and services.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    I am shocked I wanted to see this commercial to the end. An *APPLE* Commercial! Who knew this was possible?? Obviously, they switched to a new Ad Agency. I guess they got the hint.
    edited July 2018 ronn
  • Reply 2 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    This ad certainly has a very different feel from their typical ad spots which made me wonder if they choose a different ad agency, but I don't agree with SoundJudgment's suggestion that all other Apple ads are unwatchable.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ...so Apple is now resorting to fear, shame, humiliation and a host of other negative emotional reinforcement messages to induce sales?

Wow. Does that reference Samesong tactics? Is this a new low ? Hmmm...

Is this an opt in environment created by tech? I still go to a physical bank. I still use cash (how quaint) vs the delays of so many fumbling with debit card malfunctions - and when the cashiers always ask if I have a 'points card' I respond 'no data tracking for me thanks'...

Is this all getting so f'd up up? Is Apple the Trojan Horse nobody wants to acknowledge ? 'You can trust us with your data' until we can't ?

ANON is of course 'just a movie': www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJOoYhQcQBI

Will it be interested to see what Apple's media content 'ecosystem' will proffer...?

edited July 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 20
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Love the kid crying as the pressure mounts.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    It’s a funny advert but I don’t get it ...

When I had my previous iPhones the username and password would be automatically filled already. Now with the iPhone X it uses FaceID first. It’s more secure but what does it have to do with remembering the password?
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 6 of 20
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    georgie01 said:

When I had my previous iPhones the username and password would be automatically filled already. Now with the iPhone X it uses FaceID first. It’s more secure but what does it have to do with remembering the password?

The point is...you don't have to remember your passwords as you can use iCloud Keychain (or 1Password or a variant) with FaceID to authenticate. If your passwords were already then there you told your phone to autofill passwords (Not very secure!). I don't know any other reason why it would automatically be filled. 
    edited July 2018 Solifastasleepredgeminipa
  • Reply 7 of 20
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    They sure have the budget for great ads. 
  • Reply 8 of 20
    kapps7kapps7 Posts: 1member
    georgie01 said:

In iOS 12, entering a keychain password requires authentication whether its Face ID or touch Id hence you do not need to recall your password but instead just use your biometric authentication
    edited July 2018 ronn
  • Reply 9 of 20
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Excellent ad. iOS & macOS  already have robust  password managers .
    No subscription required.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Here’s one of the only places that Apple needs to be addressing the government: privacy. The 4th and 5th amendments to the US Constitution are currently not being enforced with regard to fingerprints or faces. Those “laws” need to be removed.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    The music at the end... remeniscent of the very beginnng of, Superman!
  • Reply 12 of 20
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    ...so Apple is now resorting to fear, shame, humiliation and a host of other negative emotional reinforcement messages to induce sales?

Is this an opt in environment created by tech? I still go to a physical bank. I still use cash (how quaint) vs the delays of so many fumbling with debit card malfunctions - and when the cashiers always ask if I have a 'points card' I respond 'no data tracking for me thanks'...

Is this all getting so f'd up up? Is Apple the Trojan Horse nobody wants to acknowledge ? 'You can trust us with your data' until we can't ?

Will it be interested to see what Apple's media content 'ecosystem' will proffer...?

This again. Protecting passwords with securely encrypted biometrics is somehow not an improvement to idiots storing them in plaintext or written down? Cash sure isn’t faster than Apple Pay. Enjoy life off the grid in your Faraday cage, leave the technologically brazen to fear your boogeyman future Apple that’ll apparently inevitably turn on us. 
    StrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 13 of 20
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    macxpress said:
    georgie01 said:

The point is...you don't have to remember your passwords as you can use iCloud Keychain (or 1Password or a variant) with FaceID to authenticate. If your passwords were already then there you told your phone to autofill passwords (Not very secure!). I don't know any other reason why it would automatically be filled. 
    Perhaps I’m remembering a previous time when passwords were auto-filled? Did Apple disable this at some point? I was sure my previous iPhone 7 did it without authentication prior to getting my X.

I do like the extra layer of security using authentication, I just wasn’t seeing it as any different from my 7 in terms of having to remember passwords.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    That was brilliant!

🤣

jony0
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Still in the placebo group I see. 
    fastasleepjony0
  • Reply 16 of 20
    klock379klock379 Posts: 16member
    georgie01 said:
    macxpress said:
    georgie01 said:

Perhaps I’m remembering a previous time when passwords were auto-filled? Did Apple disable this at some point? I was sure my previous iPhone 7 did it without authentication prior to getting my X.

I do like the extra layer of security using authentication, I just wasn’t seeing it as any different from my 7 in terms of having to remember passwords.
    Not all ads are supposed to show what is "new" in the current iOS, but just to advertise its capabilities to a broad audience, new or old.

In this case, it advertises the fact that iPhone X not only can remember your password (while, as you said, is not new, it must be new to some audiences) but that extra security layer that uses your face to confirm who you are before pulling the password from the iCloud keychain. It wraps a good, relatable (to me) story around this new/old feature.
    jony0
  • Reply 17 of 20
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    "This again."
    Agreed plain text or written down would too seem ill advised...

And yet does it work both ways: 'This again' ?
    Is yet another software developer (who may materially benefit from 'upgrade' churn) touting 'just trust us, forever'...?
    And yet is it simply not even about developer intent or trust with such things as the Patriot Act of the seemingly less and less United States...?
    Hard to understand how cash can be hacked, or have a back door or two built in... At least is that an at source choice?
    Glad ApplePay works for you. Keep on truckin' as they say...  Oye!
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 18 of 20
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    All of these ads for the X have been pretty cool.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    "This again."
    Agreed plain text or written down would too seem ill advised...

And yet does it work both ways: 'This again' ?
    Is yet another software developer (who may materially benefit from 'upgrade' churn) touting 'just trust us, forever'...?
    And yet is it simply not even about developer intent or trust with such things as the Patriot Act of the seemingly less and less United States...?
    Hard to understand how cash can be hacked, or have a back door or two built in... At least is that an at source choice?
    Glad ApplePay works for you. Keep on truckin' as they say...  Oye!
    Why are you hanging around a tech forum when you’re so clearly a technophobe? Nobody here shares your bizarre worst case scenario-driven paranoia. Why are you even using a computer at all if you are so afraid of this theoretical evil goateed Indian burial ground Apple?

Cash can be “hacked” by being taken from your person. Nobody’s gonna buy anything with my stolen iPhone due to ... wait for it ... Face ID. 
    jony0
  • Reply 20 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    "This again."
    Agreed plain text or written down would too seem ill advised…
    Nothing wrong with writing down passwords (on paper) if the alternative is to use the same one for every website. The person that will break into your home to steal your TV aren't typically the same types of theirs that will hack your online accounts or steal your indignity.
    jony0