Long term review: Apple's AirPods are still the best wireless headphones around

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Vlecks said:
    Say what you'd like. Personally I prefer my pixelbuds.
    To each their own. Some may even prefer a subwoofer.

welshdogmuthuk_vanalingamgatorguydewmezroger73StrangeDays
  • Reply 42 of 56
    Soli said:
    Vlecks said:

And where exactly would the subwoofer go? I mean, it's not a problem for women, but for men?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 43 of 56
    Soli said:
    Vlecks said:

Soli said:
    Vlecks said:

And where exactly would the subwoofer go? I mean, it's not a problem for women, but for men?

Lol. It is fun reading AI comments, than the articles themselves.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,177member
    Soli said:
    Vlecks said:

You've lead a sheltered life grasshopper....
    Same place as as for a woman.
    ;)
    GeorgeBMaczroger73
  • Reply 45 of 56
    DAalseth said:
    Pass. 
    I'm not interested for several reasons.
    First based on my experience with EarPods, I expect they will be hugely uncomfortable. 
    Second, based on EarPods I expect they won't stay in my ears.
    Now I can already hear people saying "you have to try them". No. I tried EarPods and they were uncomfortable. I tried EarPods with the wires cut off, and they still fell out. Maybe my ears aren't "typical" shape but EarPods were such a utter failure for me that I'm not going to drop a couple hundred on something the same size and shape that I'm absolutely convinced will not work. 
    The third reason is hygiene. Just a week or so ago I ran across an article on cleaning your AirPods. It showed close up pictures of all the nasty wax and crud that builds up inside them. No thanks. I'll keep using $10 wired earbuds that I can throw away every few months. They're good enough for when I'm working in the yard, working out, or whatever and when they get to be unsanitary, they're gone. When I want good audio quality I use my muff style noise cancelling earphones. 
    LOL! You realize they are NOT EarPods, right? The lack of a cable both significantly reduces weight (and thus increases comfort) and factors that may dislodge them from your ears. You can’t make assumptions and draw conclusions. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 56
    I don't see how Apple AirPods are the best if there's no comparison data here against newer devices. For example the new Jabra Elite Active 65t. I recently did this research for my own, and found these new Jabra way better, so I bought them and I'm loving them. I also love all Apple things, but they not always offer best-in-class. I dislike the AirPods design.
    Five bucks says this guy is a VP at Jabra 🤣🤣
    No, he did his research like myself from reputable sources that compared to other devices...I bought a pair as well and they're fantastic. Sound could be better, but they're buds, they aren't going to have knock your socks off audio. The four microphones for noise cancelling during calls work great and they don't slip out during a run. They also connect to multiples devices that aren't Apple devices, which is also a plus when you don't just use Apple devices.

I agree with others you can't make a claim without comparing to something else in the market. Here's the comparison at the wire cutter for example.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wireless-earbuds/

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 47 of 56
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    That is bold statement to make that something is the best without providing valid comparisons. Not a very professional way to make the claim. I would say it depends on aspect and I would say that Apple made things very comfortable, but that does not mean it is absolute. I would be also careful as Apple is not in the field of headphones and there are other who specialize in that area while being top shelf above sound quality provided by Apple earphones. Seriously. It is not the best. Maybe the most versatile, but there is nothing as "the best" in this area. As far as sound all Apple earphones laeft a lot to be desired when it comes to comparing with Sennheisers for example.
    I wouldn't get too hung up on the word "best." There is no globally accepted reference standard, verification model, or enforcement agency that allows one to declare that anything is the "best." Claims of "best" are always the opinions of individuals or groups who have decided to declare something as best using whatever criteria they want. How many times have you paid good money to see a movie that was declared "Best Picture" only to be insanely bored or disappointed by the movie? Did you go back to The Academy and demand a retraction of their "best" claim, much less pay to see every other nominated movie so you'd have evidence to refute the assertion that the Best Picture movie is demonstrably not the best? One of the first things I learned in boot camp, if you can call it learning, was that "opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one and they all stink." Maybe they stink a little less with the AirPod subwoofer installed. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 48 of 56
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I think they're great, will definitely check out what rev. 2 has.

My most desired feature would be the ability to listen to audio from multiple Apple devices at once. I am often working on my Mac but have a movie playing on the Apple TV in the background, and would like the sound from both to come through the same Airpods.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    I don't see how Apple AirPods are the best if there's no comparison data here against newer devices. For example the new Jabra Elite Active 65t. I recently did this research for my own, and found these new Jabra way better, so I bought them and I'm loving them. I also love all Apple things, but they not always offer best-in-class. I dislike the AirPods design.
    I think a lot of folks don't like the feeling of fitted sound isolating earbuds plain and simple.  I mentioned on here previously that some folks like the openness and the ability to hear what is going on around them that Airpods offer.

This is from CNET..

The Good The Jabra Active Elite 65t are fully sweat-resistant truly wireless earphones that fit comfortably and securely. They sound excellent, perform reliably and are great for making calls, with two microphones in each earpiece. Battery life is decent at 5 hours and the included charging case delivers two extra charges. A quick-charge feature allows you to get 1.5 hours of juice from a 15-minute charge.

The Bad The relatively tight, noise-isolating fit isn't for everyone. Motion sensor doesn't have much use at this point.

Jabra Elite's are also $30.00 more than Airpods which is something to note..

Airpods fit as though they aren't even in your ears. I have tried them and they fit well and won't come out. Unfortunately I am one of those people that needs two different size and style tips for my earbuds to fit and sound right, so while the Airpods stayed put, they fit so shallow in my left ear that the sound quality seriously suffered. I went with the Beats X instead.  I think if your ears work with them the Airpods offer pretty decent sound and then all of the other benefits follow.. call quality, battery life etc...

I was thinking of trying the Jabra Elite 65t's myself as I really wanted something waterproof and totally wireless. I am glad someone here has them and likes them. All I have seen are youtube reviews so far on these..  I really like the Beats X once I got the tips sorted out as they have good sound quality IMHO, but the wire is getting tiresome.

• Reply 50 of 56
    tommikele said:
    Completely disagree with the conclusion of the review. I am doubtful any other competing product was given serious consideration. Zolo Liberty+ offer superior sound and fit and a better value. Yes, they aren't as tied into the Apple ecosystem, but if music is what you want them for and your ear canals aren't shaped like an apple go for the Liberty +. Bluetooth 5 gives superior range and connection reliability. I have both and rarely use my AirPods.

6 Verge Score

Good Stuff

• Bluetooth 5 is rock solid
    • The charging case has bountiful battery life
    • No video delay

Bad Stuff

• Forgettable sound quality
    • Mushy buttons
    • Earbuds only last about three hours per charge
    No thanks.... 
  • Reply 51 of 56
    Soli said:
    I see AirPods everywhere. I just hope they offer an in-ear option soon.
    YES!!!  I would pre-order now if this was an option.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Seriously speaking, a few friends of mine at their 50's have already lost their hearing all a sudden.  Are you still ignoring the risk of losing yours? Ask your audiologist, please.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    The OVERALL package of AirPods is “the best” for —-me—-.  I say that for a few reasons.

1) It’s because all of my music is in my iPhone where it is always with me. 
    2) AirPods fit well in my ears. (EarPods don’t fit my wife’s ears so we figure these won’t either. And yes, she would have her own. You known. Girl cooties ... lol)
    3) **60%** of the time when I put my AirPods in my ears my music or podcast automatically starts up like it is supposed to. Downside. About 40% of the time that doesn’t happen.
    4) When I take out one of my AirPods or even tap on one of them once, my music/podcast pauses.
    4) The charging case is great. You don’t have to have extra cables with a unique connector to charge up your AirPods if you have a current iPhone.
    5) The charging case is great. It’s a very clever design on how you put yours EarPods in and how they magnetically stay in even if you turn the case upside down.
    6) The charging case is great (there’s a theme going on here) in that you can put the EarPods in them and they will charge up your EarPods three or four times in between times that you plug in the case. Great for a whole weekend of listening to music so I don’t have to plus them into a tree ... I mean outlet. 
    7) Switching the EarPods between my iPhone and my iPad takes less time than it takes for most people to sync their wireless devices up to their device.
    8) Syncing EarPods to my devices the very first time, there is no step four. It’s SUPER easy.
    9) Cleaning earwax is easy. It’s called a toothpick. No I don’t pick my teeth or anything else with them first. Sure there is stuff I don’t get out of them but guess what. That stuff is in my ears too. 
    10) While the sound might not be the best, if Seinhauser (spelling?) made something equivalent they would cost double what the EarPods cost and they STILL wouldn’t be as easy to pair up, their still wouldn’t be as easy to charge up, they still wouldn’t be as easy to switch between devices, they still wouldn’t auto pause when you tap on them or take one of them out. While the sound would be better, there would be a lot that you would give up.
    11) I’m sure there is an eleven because Spinaltap would have found an 11. Because 11 is better than 10 unless you are 10 ½ feet tall and the water is 11 feet deep and you can’t swim.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jcs2305 said:
    Soli said:
    I see AirPods everywhere. I just hope they offer an in-ear option soon.
    YES!!!  I would pre-order now if this was an option.
    I have two sets of headphones. One are bone-conducting BT headphones that are great for podcasts, talk radio, and even music when jogging or otherwise need your "earholes" open for better situational awareness, which can include work for certain types of jobs. My other pair are Apple in-ear phones for when I want better music or to help brownout outside sounds, especially on planes, which bone-conducting phones are a non-starter (they can just distract you from the engine noise, but they can't actually block it).

I've used plenty of other in-ear phones over the years that cost a lot more than what Apple charged for theirs ($79?) and inarguably had a little better sound quality, but I've always came back to Apple's because of comfort and overall better design. Plus, if you ever had a torn or lost grommet they'd just give you a new pair of headphones if you had an Apple device, like an iPhone, under warranty. I paid the initial price once and probably went through at least 5 free pair over the years. Why they didn't just send a small container to each store with each of the three grommet sizes is beyond me and seems wasteful. There's no way they made money on me on those headphones.

That in-ear design which probably could include a much smaller stem, better sound (as the in-ear phones sounded better than their earbuds), noise canceling, and possibly even the start of additional biometrics that could be recorded by the W-series chip and sent to the iPhone to recorded in the Health app.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    That is bold statement to make that something is the best without providing valid comparisons. Not a very professional way to make the claim. I would say it depends on aspect and I would say that Apple made things very comfortable, but that does not mean it is absolute. I would be also careful as Apple is not in the field of headphones and there are other who specialize in that area while being top shelf above sound quality provided by Apple earphones. Seriously. It is not the best. Maybe the most versatile, but there is nothing as "the best" in this area. As far as sound all Apple earphones laeft a lot to be desired when it comes to comparing with Sennheisers for example.
    I had Sennheiser Urbanite Bluetooth - an utter failure! The sound is brilliant, but that's it. They were supposed to remember 7 bluetooth devices, but never actually managed to re-connect back, so every walk with the dog I started by standing still for 3 minutes while disconnecting and re-connecting the headphones. The touch panes never reacts when you need to stop the music (especially when hands are freezing outside), but always reacts when you take the headphones off... and bloody CALLS BACK THE LAST CALLER! (no way to remove that in settings). Volume was good for a street, but deafening in a quiet home even at lowest mark. Great sound, but a failure of a product. Cost $300 - almost twice the AirPods, mind you!

Loved Sennheiser, two of their wired headphones served me for 5+ years never failing even in rain and snow. But Bluetooth is where Sennheiser failed completely...

• Reply 56 of 56
    I will say that when I first purchased the Airpods, I thought that they worked well and fit my ears well.  After about 6 months, I noticed cracks in the little arms that stick out.  I brought them into an Apple store, and the "Genius" told me that I had somehow damaged them by either stepping on them or dropping them.  I had done neither and asked to see a manager.  He basically told me that I had done something bad to them and they would not fix them.  Now I have had numerous ear buds throughout my life, and this was the first time I have had a problem with them.  My first thought is that if they are so fragile, that dropping them breaks them, then Apple has a design flaw and should resolve it.  If these buds cost $20, I wouldn't care, but at $159, that is significant, and telling me to go buy another pair is not the right answer from Apple.  Anyone out there have a similar problem?