Face ID iPad, MacBook, Mac mini, MacBook Pro, 11-inch iPad Pro in Apple's 2018 product lin...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2020
Nearly the entire Apple product line including the iPhone, iPad Pro, first new Mac mini in nearly four years, MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, second-generation AirPods, and "Series 4" Apple Watch appear to be on the cusp of release, if Ming-Chi Kuo's latest predictions are accurate.

Predicted Apple product lineup for 2018

TF International Securities' Ming-Chi Kuo issued a new report today, spanning the entire width of Apple's product line. In the note seen by AppleInsider, Kuo maintains his predictions about the iPhone lineup as he has for the last several months, plus the analyst expects far more coming.

iPad

Kuo is expecting a new 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro refresh. Details are short on both, but the 11-inch model is a notable increase from the 10.5-inch model, and not previously predicted.

Both are expected to have "full screen" presumably meaning edge-to-edge, and a "removed button design" once again implying FaceID will be incorporated on the line.

iMac

A new iMac is apparently expected. The new model is predicted to have a "significant display-performance upgrade" in addition to a processor upgrade. It's not clear what the analyst is referring to as far as an upgrade, but a 120Hz refresh rate is a possibility.

Apple's laptops

Kuo also predicts a processor upgrade for the MacBook and MacBook Pro. While he initially predicted that the MacBook Air line would see a refresh, the analyst has "changed the previous expectation" and no longer believes that the still-expected low-cost model will be branded accordingly.

Questionable benchmarks have popped up, showing what alleges to be a six-core MacBook pro with the i7-8750H processor with 32GB of RAM. The MacBook Pro was last updated at the 2017 WWDC.

Mac mini

Specifically spelled out is an update to the processor for the Mac mini. This is the first time that the analyst has spoken about the Mac mini in any regard.

No other details on a possible Mac mini update were provided. The line was last updated in October 2014, and is overdue for a refresh by every account.

Apple Watch and AirPods

Kuo reiterated previous predictions, claiming that the Apple Watch would increase to 40 mm versus 38mm, and 45mm versus 42mm. Both new sizes are expected to have enhanced heart rate detection technologies.

Whether the enlarged screens will afford more internal headroom for additional components is unknown, though Kuo believes the updated models will feature extended on-wrist life thanks to increased battery capacity. Barring a breakthrough in battery technology, enhanced wear time equates to a larger lithium ion cell, again suggesting "Series 4" will sport a larger form factor.

Kuo mentioned enhancements to Apple Watch's built-in health sensors in the past, but still fails to detail what changes Apple has in store for the fourth-generation device. As it stands, Apple Watch incorporates a heart rate monitor, accelerometer, barometer and gyroscope to track a range of biometric data and user movement.

Also repeated is the expectation that new AirPods and the AirPower charging pad would enter mass production in the third calendar quarter of 2018.

iPhone

The three iPhone models currently speculated to arrive this fall include two models with OLED screens measuring 6.5 inches and 5.8 inches, while a third is equipped with a 6.1-inch TFT LCD. Most sources now claim that all three will have the TrueDepth camera array and use Face ID, but the LCD model will be singled out as a cost-effective model while the OLED versions will have more premium pricing and specifications.

There is some speculation that the LCD model will be delayed, due to production yield issues surrounding its touchscreen functionality, but the situation is apparently improving. Bottlenecks in integrating the TrueDepth camera array into the LCD screen are also said to be easing, removing another hurdle that could cause manufacturing delays.

Foxconn will continue to be the main iPhone assembler this year, with it said to handle all 5.8-inch OLED units and 80 to 90 percent of the 6.5-inch OLED version, as well as 30 percent of LCD model orders. Pegatron is identified as taking 60 percent of the LCD orders and between 10 and 15 percent of the 6.5-inch OLED model orders, while Wistron makes up the remainder.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89
    After more than four years, there had better be more to the Mac Mini update than just the processor.
    avon b7ElCapitanentropysjbdragonmike54cornchipcecil4444wozwoz[Deleted User]Alex1N
  • Reply 2 of 89
    Can Apple manage to build a Mac Mini without soldering all the internals inside? I have a feeling that will be a bone of contention. Personally I’d rather Apple go back to 2012 design when we could installl two SSDs and hopefully the architecture haa been updated to 32 GB of RAM.
    netroxmacseekerElCapitanentropysmike54cecil4444[Deleted User]Alex1Nmaciekskontaktllama
  • Reply 3 of 89
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple should give mini a real update or call it a day on the product line. Not needed is a physical update, but updating pretty much the entire internals would be nice.

As for the low cost MacBook model. Besides the display, my bet is I’ll prefer the existing MBA in pretty much every way. I don’t want to need a hub. I don’t want to lose MagSafe. I find the alu. bezels whimsical and beautiful. I prefer this keyboard. I like a port selection build it. And no other Mac will feature this extraordinary battery life any time soon.
    edited July 2018 jbdragonaegeanAlex1Nllama
  • Reply 4 of 89
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Anyone feel Garmin would be a nice acquisition for Apple? In terms of wearables, it's the most respected in the fitness industry (watches). Maybe Apple could develop a higher end watch with advanced capabilities.

cornchipAlex1N
  • Reply 5 of 89
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member
    My 2012 i5 Dual Core Mac Mini is getting very long in the tooth. I've been waiting for a significant Mac Mini update since the last refresh was relatively disappointing. I really hope they offer quad-core again using the latest CPUs, 32 GB max memory, and make it user-friendly regarding memory and hard drive upgrades.
    mike54Alex1Nrazorpit
  • Reply 6 of 89
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    NY1822 said:
    Anyone feel Garmin would be a nice acquisition for Apple? In terms of wearables, it's the most respected in the fitness industry (watches). Maybe Apple could develop a higher end watch with advanced capabilities.

Since Apple already has all of this in the world's best selling smartwatch, I'm not sure they reckon Garmin's worth picking up.

kirkgraychiaStrangeDaysuraharafastasleepentropyspscooter63lamboaudi4Alex1N
  • Reply 7 of 89
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    An 11-inch iPad

and a 12.9 inch iPad

Mmmm.

aegeanpscooter63
  • Reply 8 of 89
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    “If Ming-Chi Quo’s latest predictions are accurate” is a pretty big IF.
    tallest skilRayz2016cornchipchasmAlex1N
  • Reply 9 of 89
    seneca72seneca72 Posts: 42member
    larz2112 said:
    I really hope they offer quad-core again using the latest CPUs, 32 GB max memory, and make it user-friendly regarding memory and hard drive upgrades.
    Probably not but it will be thinner.....
    JaiOh81mike54cornchip[Deleted User]Alex1N
  • Reply 10 of 89
    Um...if Ming is saying Apple will increase the size of the 10.5” iPad Pro to 11” because they are doing away with the bezels...then wouldn’t the 12.9” iPad Pro become a 13.5” iPad Pro?
    netroxfastasleepraoulduke42JaiOh81cornchipAlex1N
  • Reply 11 of 89
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    After more than four years, there had better be more to the Mac Mini update than just the processor.
    I do hope so.    Interesting is the number of comments already in this thread Mini related which pretty much proves my point that Apple has really screwed up with the Mini.   For the most part the Mini has been a bad buy for six years now.   When the last update happened i was actually waiting for a decent up grade and we all know what happened back then.  If the Mini is done right there should be a lot of pent up demand in the first few months. 

Now as to what that Mini might be, a few guesses:

1.   It will likely have a discreet GPU.   This is needed to accelerate Apples VR and machine learning tech.   The potential option here is the new Intel chip with the integrated GPU.   An even wilder option would be an AMD APU chip with 8GB of built in HBM.  

2.     Frankly the Mini is the ideal place to do an Apple designed high performance ARM chip.  The reason to do this is again Apples ML and VR tech.   Given a a more than 30 watt capacity in the Mini it would be a very interesting chip.  People shouldnt undereestimate the importance of Apples AI hardware in its latest A series chips.  Apple could easily see that matrix processor as being more important than the ARM cores. 

3.   This maybe wishful thinking but the Mini needs a balanced selection of ports.   That means USB-C but also legacy hardware.   My frustration level with Apple will explode if the new Mini ships with nothing but USB-C ports.   Oh one more thing those ports must be the latest standards, we dont need a low performance SD slot that only works with 5 year old cards.  

4.   I know this bothers many but i like soldered in components.   In fact conformally coated boards would be nice.   The reason of course is that the Mini is ideal for RVs and boats.    Soldered in componets are just far more reliable.  

5.   Hoping for an external power supply again.   For one it makes for easy maintenance.   The second issue is that alternative power supplies like for mobile described above are then possible.  It may sound odd to some but that external supply makes for a far more versatile Mini    

6. Two SSD storage slots that are easy to get to.   This should not require an explanation.  

In sny event six ideas from another Mini day dream.  
    mike54Alex1Nllama
  • Reply 12 of 89
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I am interested in the MacBook. I absolutely love the form factor and would love for it to be powerful enough for my needs. I suspect it may not be and so I am also very interested in the 13"mbp. But the MB is just so... beautiful...

wozwoz
  • Reply 13 of 89
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Um...if Ming is saying Apple will increase the size of the 10.5” iPad Pro to 11” because they are doing away with the bezels...then wouldn’t the 12.9” iPad Pro become a 13.5” iPad Pro?
    Maybe, if they are reducing the bezels on the bulkier sibling, they’ll use this opportunity to make that device more manageable in size.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 14 of 89
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    NY1822 said:

Didn’t just Apple report they’re moving away from Garmin maps?  I don’t see the need...
  • Reply 15 of 89
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    larz2112 said:
    My 2012 i5 Dual Core Mac Mini is getting very long in the tooth. I've been waiting for a significant Mac Mini update since the last refresh was relatively disappointing. I really hope they offer quad-core again using the latest CPUs, 32 GB max memory, and make it user-friendly regarding memory and hard drive upgrades.
    I have to agree cores are an issue which brings up the question, watt would you think of six or eight ARM cores.    In many implemrntations ARM cores run at between a half a watt and one watt, if we allocate Apple more power, say 12 watts for 8 cores we could see some very good performance out of those cores.   This especially with a desktop heat sink.  Cores or more exactly hardware threads are very important to run modern software.   Like you mentioned the lack of four cores in the last Mini update was a huge disappointment.   

As for 32GB of memory, this is Apple they will likely screw us over on that one.    I hope to be proven wrong on that one but Applle of late has had a terrible attitude when it comes to marketing the Mini.    The whole Mini disaster of the last half decade is all about arogant marketing that has Apple implying that they know better than us what we need.   Someone at Apple is likely to say that a 32 GB Mini removes to many upsell opportunities.    Meanwhile somebody like ME will otherwise say screw it i can buy far better hardware cheaper and run Linux.  

• Reply 16 of 89
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 808member
    New iPad Mini?  A8->A12, 4 GB RAM!
    raoulduke42leftoverbacon
  • Reply 17 of 89
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    Does AI pay for these notes?

Again, in the interest of transparency, letting readers know whether Kuo seeds you with his notes or whether you seek them out and pay for them makes a difference in context. Knowing the context adds value to the data being reported. 
    cornchipRayz2016pscooter63
  • Reply 18 of 89
    wizard69 said:
    I do hope so.    Interesting is the number of comments already in this thread Mini related which pretty much proves my point that Apple has really screwed up with the Mini. 
    You must live in the alternate universe where techies whining on niche forums is equal to a larger truth. Send a postcard. 
    Rayz2016fastasleeppscooter63
  • Reply 19 of 89
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    larz2112 said:
    I hope they offer up to 32GB, but don't expect them to allow you to upgrade it on your own. Where's the value proposition for them? You buy the 8GB model, toss the dual 4s and then install 3rd party dual 16s? Sorry, not going to happen.

I hope they offer 16 or 32 GB on-board memory option units.
  • Reply 20 of 89
    wizard69 said:
    larz2112 said:
    The whole Mini disaster of the last half decade is all about arogant marketing that has Apple implying that they know better than us what we need.   Someone at Apple is likely to say that a 32 GB Mini removes to many upsell opportunities.    Meanwhile somebody like ME will otherwise say screw it i can buy far better hardware cheaper and run Linux.  
    Or, it implies that they view the mini as a modest, entry-level machine for switchers and less intense users like my parents, who were happy with their minis for years (before going iPad). 

If you want a techie tweaker machine, go for it and build your cheaper linux box. Apple has never, ever been about trying to build a commodity box for less than a DIY project of off the shelf parts.
    edited July 2018 Rayz2016cornchippscooter63lamboaudi4PickUrPoisontechblogger911