Face ID iPad, MacBook, Mac mini, MacBook Pro, 11-inch iPad Pro in Apple's 2018 product lin...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    wizard69 said:

2.     Frankly the Mini is the ideal place to do an Apple designed high performance ARM chip.  The reason to do this is again Apples ML and VR tech.   Given a a more than 30 watt capacity in the Mini it would be a very interesting chip.  People shouldnt undereestimate the importance of Apples AI hardware in its latest A series chips.  Apple could easily see that matrix processor as being more important than the ARM cores. 

This is an absolute no-go for me.  A brand new Mac Mini that won't run any of my existing software would be utterly useless.
    ElCapitanrazorpit
  • Reply 22 of 89
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member
    wizard69 said:
    larz2112 said:
    My 2012 i5 Dual Core Mac Mini is getting very long in the tooth. I've been waiting for a significant Mac Mini update since the last refresh was relatively disappointing. I really hope they offer quad-core again using the latest CPUs, 32 GB max memory, and make it user-friendly regarding memory and hard drive upgrades.
    I have to agree cores are an issue which brings up the question, watt would you think of six or eight ARM cores. 

I really wouldn't mind a Mac Mini using ARM cores as long as it ran all of my current graphics and music production software. The more cores the better. 
  • Reply 23 of 89
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    larz2112 said:
    My 2012 i5 Dual Core Mac Mini is getting very long in the tooth. I've been waiting for a significant Mac Mini update since the last refresh was relatively disappointing. I really hope they offer quad-core again using the latest CPUs, 32 GB max memory, and make it user-friendly regarding memory and hard drive upgrades.
    I hope they offer up to 32GB, but don't expect them to allow you to upgrade it on your own. Where's the value proposition for them? You buy the 8GB model, toss the dual 4s and then install 3rd party dual 16s? Sorry, not going to happen.

I hope they offer 16 or 32 GB on-board memory option units.
    Totally agree.
  • Reply 24 of 89
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Does AI pay for these notes? Again, in the interest of transparency, letting readers know whether Kuo seeds you with his notes or whether you seek them out and pay for them makes a difference in context. Knowing the context adds value to the data being reported. 
    Does it matter when they’re not going to be true anyway?
    lkrupp
  • Reply 25 of 89
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    >Barring a breakthrough in battery technology, enhanced wear time equates to a larger lithium ion cell, again suggesting "Series 4" will sport a larger form factor. 

Li-ion capacities do grow in the same sizes slowly, year over year, so hopefully it's a slight update in chemistry rather than a larger design. Because the screen size rumors would work well in the same form factor cutting back the current bezels. 

netrox
  • Reply 26 of 89
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Does AI pay for these notes?

Again, in the interest of transparency, letting readers know whether Kuo seeds you with his notes or whether you seek them out and pay for them makes a difference in context. Knowing the context adds value to the data being reported. 
    If the notes are provided by the analyst for whatever the reason, we say In a note provided to AppleInsider. 

This does not say that. It also really doesn't matter.
    edited July 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 89
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member

Mac Mini with the 8th gen ULV quads would be pretty sweet. Hopefully they revert from the stupid metal cage making upgrades harder for no reason, didn’t get smaller or even more powerful or anything, they just added it expressly to stop upgrades which was a piss off.

avon b7tallest skilmike54boboliciousrazorpitleftoverbacon
  • Reply 28 of 89
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    wizard69 said:

2.     Frankly the Mini is the ideal place to do an Apple designed high performance ARM chip.  The reason to do this is again Apples ML and VR tech.   Given a a more than 30 watt capacity in the Mini it would be a very interesting chip.  People shouldnt undereestimate the importance of Apples AI hardware in its latest A series chips.  Apple could easily see that matrix processor as being more important than the ARM cores.

That would be pretty lousy switcher machine as switchers most likely would have a range of Intel based software they still would want to run in a virtual machine. 
    For those who remember back, before Apple introduced Intel based processors, running emulation of Intel on PPC was a pretty poor experience. It will not be any better on ARM.

In addition there is a massive catalog of open source software built for Intel that would have to be recompiled and in many cases the code updated to run on ARM.  
    MacPorts alone has over 20000 such titles. There are multiple other examples. 

• Reply 29 of 89
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    NY1822 said:
    Anyone feel Garmin would be a nice acquisition for Apple? In terms of wearables, it's the most respected in the fitness industry (watches). Maybe Apple could develop a higher end watch with advanced capabilities.

I've purchased and used my very last Garmin product. Never again.
  • Reply 30 of 89
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ireland said:
    Apple should give mini a real update or call it a day on the product line. Not needed is a physical update, but updating pretty much the entire internals would be nice.

Oh I don't know. I can see a compelling ad campaign around an Apple TV sized mini that is a super computer that fits in your pocket. The whole thing is non-upgradable, with a port expansion hub via USB-C. It would mirror the MacBook line of thinking. Anything more, and there's the iMac and Pro. 
  • Reply 31 of 89
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    I believe Kuo's insiders are in the far east, therefore he wouldn't have access to much information about the Mac Pro which is assembled in the US. Which means that it's equally likely there will be a Mac Pro if these rumours are true.
  • Reply 32 of 89
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mac_128 said:
    ireland said:
    Apple should give mini a real update or call it a day on the product line. Not needed is a physical update, but updating pretty much the entire internals would be nice.

Oh I don't know. I can see a compelling ad campaign around an Apple TV sized mini that is a super computer that fits in your pocket. The whole thing is non-upgradable, with a port expansion hub via USB-C. It would mirror the MacBook line of thinking. Anything more, and there's the iMac and Pro. 
    I just don't see the point. Most of the customers for the mini would prefer the existing form with much more power than a tiny puck that needs to be expanded, which defeats the purpose, and which will inevitably have much less power than keeping existing or similar form. 
  • Reply 33 of 89
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

tipoo said:
    >Barring a breakthrough in battery technology, enhanced wear time equates to a larger lithium ion cell, again suggesting "Series 4" will sport a larger form factor. 

Li-ion capacities do grow in the same sizes slowly, year over year, so hopefully it's a slight update in chemistry rather than a larger design. Because the screen size rumors would work well in the same form factor cutting back the current bezels. 

The sharp edge bezels of the current watch look whack, anyway.
  • Reply 34 of 89
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I’m very pleased to hear that the Mac Mini will finally be upgraded. But very disappointed to read that the ⌚️is going to get bigger. The 42mm is already at the cusp of how large such a product should be. A 45mm version will just look comically large. And hasn’t that craze for giant watches passed away from the world?
    netroxmike54
  • Reply 35 of 89
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    After more than four years, there had better be more to the Mac Mini update than just the processor.
    Okay for all you Mac Mini fanboyz. If there is a major update to the Mini you are probably certain not to like it. Face it, you are not going to get a headless Mac with legacy ports, upgradeable components, etc. All you will get is upgraded components and maybe one or two USB-C Thunderbolt 3 ports. No HDMI, no optical port, probably bluetooth only keyboard and mouse. That’s it, period! So we’ll see if it’s me or that analyst guy who is right.
    edited July 2018 anomemike54pscooter63
  • Reply 36 of 89
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    1983 said:
    I’m very pleased to hear that the Mac Mini will finally be upgraded. But very disappointed to read that the ⌚️is going to get bigger. The 42mm is already at the cusp of how large such a product should be. A 45mm version will just look comically large. And hasn’t that craze for giant watches passed away from the world?
    Nope. Walk into any Kohl’s, Macy’s, Dillards, etc. and you’ll see the giant watches prominently displayed, humongous contraptions that reek of cultural appropriation, if you know what I mean.
    tht
  • Reply 37 of 89
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    lkrupp said:
    a headless Mac with… ...upgradeable components
    The closest thing to that could be the next Mac Pro. Though I’m still terrified of the possibility of “a bunch of proprietary boxes for individual components that you stack and click into place using a proprietary connector; also here’s a list of components you can use what do you mean why are there only four GPUs on this list who would ever need more options than that and no you can’t combine GPU power also yes there are only two RAM manufacturers on the list you don’t need to buy from anyone else anyway and don’t try to use SATA SSDs either use M.2 or get out”
  • Reply 38 of 89
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    lkrupp said:
    After more than four years, there had better be more to the Mac Mini update than just the processor.
    Okay for all you Mac Mini fanboyz. If there is a major update to the Mini you are probably certain not to like it. Face it, you are not going to get a headless Mac with legacy ports, upgradeable components, etc. All you will get is upgraded components and maybe one or two USB-C Thunderbolt 3 ports. No HDMI, no optical port, probably bluetooth only keyboard and mouse. That’s it, period! So we’ll see if it’s me or that analyst guy who is right.

At last! A story about the Mac mini, so that people can actually talk about it, instead of sidetracking discussions about iTunes or TV show development to complain about the Mac mini.

What lkrupp says is certainly true. You're not going to like what they do with the Mac mini, so why bother? I suppose complaining offers its own catharsis, but this is getting ridiculous.

I would like to see a return of quad-core processors, and more RAM in a Mac mini, but if they don't do that, I'm not going to scream the walls down. You know why? The mini is not meant to be a performance machine, it's a low(ish) cost entry-level machine. Earlier models happened to be suitable for loading as cheap file servers, but even then it was the cost, not the performance as such, that led to their adoption in data centres. Current models are still suitable, although probably not as an NSX host for your corporate infrastructure. At least not on its own.

As for the watch getting bigger, I knew I'd regret buying the Series 3. There's no way in hell I can justify upgrading this year, especially with my phone and iPad due for replacement, but I do think a slightly larger watch would suit me better. Oh well.

fastasleep
  • Reply 39 of 89
    BayHorseBayHorse Posts: 12member
    While I can see APPLE’s reasoning for a non-upgradable Mini, it would represent such a small market segment that it wouldn’t hurt sales of other of their products.   It’s not like I’m going to buy a MacBook Pro or a Mac Pro just because I can’t get the Mini I want.  I think many of us already have many Apple devices (iMac, iPod, iPhone, iPad Pro here...).  Yes Apple really should consider making a modern Mini that we can upgrade - even if it’s just memory and the drive.  I’d buy two, right now.  Yes, lots of ports; new & old style.  
    mike54
  • Reply 40 of 89
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    I have been desperately waiting for Mac mini update for years and if Ming is correct, I can't be happier to upgrade my music server.
    edited July 2018 mike54