Face ID iPad, MacBook, Mac mini, MacBook Pro, 11-inch iPad Pro in Apple's 2018 product lin...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,398member
    tipoo said:

Mac Mini with the 8th gen ULV quads would be pretty sweet. Hopefully they revert from the stupid metal cage making upgrades harder for no reason, didn’t get smaller or even more powerful or anything, they just added it expressly to stop upgrades which was a piss off.

The RAM was soldered in the latter model, hence not needing a hole to access it. You could still take it apart and upgrade the hard drive to an SSD though, just did that on a 2014 mini a few weeks ago. 
  • Reply 42 of 89
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Mac mini
    A new Mac mini will have quite certainly the same specs as the 13" MacBook Pro (w/o Touch Bar):
    Dual‑Core Intel Core i5 (2,3 - 3,6GHz) or i7 (2,5 - 4,0GHz)
    with iGP Iris Plus Graphics 640 or 650
    8GB LPDDR3 RAM (soldered, optional 16GB - CPU doesn't support more)
    128GB or 256GB PCIe SSD (soldered, optional 512GB or 1TB)
    No interchangeable components.

Does anyone realistically expect more?

iPad Pro 11"
    Another change in display size after only one year doesn't feel right.
    "Both are expected to have "full screen" presumably meaning edge-to-edge, and a "removed button design" once again implying FaceID will be incorporated on the line."
    Yeah, a notch and small bezels on a big iPad are sooo desirable.

The problem with Apple is that it is believable...

stompy
  • Reply 43 of 89
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,821member
    Does AI pay for these notes?

Again, in the interest of transparency, letting readers know whether Kuo seeds you with his notes or whether you seek them out and pay for them makes a difference in context. Knowing the context adds value to the data being reported. 
    If the notes are provided by the analyst for whatever the reason, we say In a note provided to AppleInsider. 

This does not say that. It also really doesn't matter.
    Correction -- it doesn't matter to you. It does matter to other people. If Kuo is giving his "notes" away to publications like AI, there are addition goals to his doing so, like getting his brand out there or even manipulating the marketplace. This affects the context of the message and ultimately how I weight his guesses. 

Anyway, this article doesn't say what you said (which would be nice if it did). Instead, it uses the strange passive voice: "In the note seen by AppleInsider". The passive voice is a writing style that removes the action of what actually happened. "seen by AI" doesn't say whether it was "provided to" or even "subscribed to", etc. It offers no clues. This is why the active voice is generally preferred, it adds clarity for the reader.

Your suggestion of "provided to" would be a welcome addition indeed.
    edited July 2018 fastasleepcecil4444
  • Reply 44 of 89
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,148member
    .I would like to see a return of quad-core processors, and more RAM in a Mac mini, but if they don't do that, I'm not going to scream the walls down. You know why? The mini is not meant to be a performance machine, it's a low(ish) cost entry-level machine. Earlier models happened to be suitable for loading as cheap file servers, but even then it was the cost, not the performance as such, that led to their adoption in data centres. Current models are still suitable, although probably not as an NSX host for your corporate infrastructure. At least not on its own

While there is truth in what you say, it doesn’t have to be an either/or situation. A low spec base model sure, but why not offer higher spec options as well? Also, if these are for dipping a toe in the Mac space/ iOS developer markets, then a tinkerable machine is also desirable.
    edited July 2018 razorpit
  • Reply 45 of 89
    I hope they offer up to 32GB, but don't expect them to allow you to upgrade it on your own. Where's the value proposition for them?
    The value proposition is in the sale of a computer.

It drives me nuts that Apple seems to use the margins gouged out of upgraders to push down the price of the base model. In other words, someone who buys the base model gets their machine cheaper because Apple makes up the average selling price by charging me twice as much for RAM as it would cost from a third-party supplier. I'm sure the marketing department loves it because they can advertise a cheaper Mac, but it has a profoundly adverse affect on the "value proposition" for ME!

I hope they offer 16 or 32 GB on-board memory option units.
    Me, too. I just hope they're reasonably priced. I know they won't be, though. The buck-per-gigabyte Apple charged me to upgrade the storage in my MacBook Pro is a pretty clear indication of that.
    mike54muthuk_vanalingamTomE
  • Reply 46 of 89
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,301member
    Apple really needs to update their product line. Who else waits years? Apple is almost treating the Mac line like it's dead and they just don't care. What's worse, these old computers just don't drop drown in price every year like they should as the tech gets older and older. Making them a even bigger rip-off.

It's getting to the point that many people are just leaving and going to Windows 10 and a large choice of hardware. While Apple doesn't seem to have a care in the world with them. I have thought that maybe they're just been distracted with the whole UFO campus. I don't think that's a very good excuse for so many products just not getting any care.

I plan to upgrade my iPhone 6 this year. I plan to Upgrade my Original Apple Watch this year to the Apple Watch 4. I upgraded my iPad 3 late last year to a 12.9" iPad Pro. But if FaceID comes out on it, I just may upgrade once again.

To me it looks like Apple really only cares about their iOS devices, and not the Mac. The only reason at this point to buy a Mac is if you're a iOS app developer at this point. I just don't get it. You know what they say about putting all your eggs in one basket. I don't think Steve Jobs would be letting products stagnate like this. It's like all Tim Cook cares about is a nice big profit and that's the only focus. How can we make even more money? Selling Old Tech at new tech prices!!! That's a good one.
    edited July 2018 entropysmike54muthuk_vanalingamTomE
  • Reply 47 of 89
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    smalm said:
    Mac mini
    A new Mac mini will have quite certainly the same specs as the 13" MacBook Pro (w/o Touch Bar):
    Dual‑Core Intel Core i5 (2,3 - 3,6GHz) or i7 (2,5 - 4,0GHz)
    with iGP Iris Plus Graphics 640 or 650
    8GB LPDDR3 RAM (soldered, optional 16GB - CPU doesn't support more)
    128GB or 256GB PCIe SSD (soldered, optional 512GB or 1TB)
    No interchangeable components.

Does anyone realistically expect more?
    Why'd you have to ruin everyone's fun with reason? :) 

The mini has ALWAYS been based off the chipset / parts of a lower end Apple portable, anyone with concrete information that the next mini will be different, let's hear it. (They ARE building a box that with satisfy most of the wish-casting on this thread: the 2019 Mac Pro.)

• Reply 48 of 89
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,593member
    Does AI pay for these notes?

Again, in the interest of transparency, letting readers know whether Kuo seeds you with his notes or whether you seek them out and pay for them makes a difference in context. Knowing the context adds value to the data being reported. 
    If the notes are provided by the analyst for whatever the reason, we say In a note provided to AppleInsider. 

This does not say that. It also really doesn't matter.
    Correction -- it doesn't matter to you. It does matter to other people. If Kuo is giving his "notes" away to publications like AI, there are addition goals to his doing so, like getting his brand out there or even manipulating the marketplace. This affects the context of the message and ultimately how I weight his guesses. 

Anyway, this article doesn't say what you said (which would be nice if it did). Instead, it uses the strange passive voice: "In the note seen by AppleInsider". The passive voice is a writing style that removes the action of what actually happened. "seen by AI" doesn't say whether it was "provided to" or even "subscribed to", etc. It offers no clues. This is why the active voice is generally preferred, it adds clarity for the reader.

Your suggestion of "provided to" would be a welcome addition indeed.
    The passive voice doesn't remove the 'action' of what actually happened.

It can be used to shift focus etc but the action remains. Here the focus is on what the analyst said rather than how it reached AI.

That part isn't really important, at least IMO.

fastasleepmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 49 of 89
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    Can Apple manage to build a Mac Mini without soldering all the internals inside? I have a feeling that will be a bone of contention. Personally I’d rather Apple go back to 2012 design when we could installl two SSDs and hopefully the architecture haa been updated to 32 GB of RAM.
    JFC. Last month I had to randomly fix up a friend's 2012 Mac Mini, and my father's 2014 Mini. The latter model is stupidly, unnecessarily harder to repair. It makes no sense. #rageface
    entropysbobolicious
  • Reply 50 of 89
    amarkapamarkap Posts: 69member
    Please don't be too hard on me when I ask this question but I really want to know...what exactly is so great about the Mac-Mini?  What is the use case for this product?  I know a little bit about it (not much as I never owned it)...but I try to run through my head why would I buy this (or who is the target audience) and I simply cannot come up with reason.  Between, the iPad, the iPhone, the Apple TV, and either a Macbook series of laptops or the iMac...just about every use-case is covered with a product already by Apple. 

Well, if someone can let me know perhaps I will consider getting one this fall if they release a new one.  Again, I speak only from an home/end user perspective.  There very well could be a market for the Mac-Mini in a business/educational/corporate/industrial capacity but that I haven't considered.

Thanks in advance. 
  • Reply 51 of 89
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,052member
    amarkap said:
    Please don't be too hard on me when I ask this question but I really want to know...what exactly is so great about the Mac-Mini?  What is the use case for this product?  I know a little bit about it (not much as I never owned it)...but I try to run through my head why would I buy this (or who is the target audience) and I simply cannot come up with reason.  Between, the iPad, the iPhone, the Apple TV, and either a Macbook series of laptops or the iMac...just about every use-case is covered with a product already by Apple. 

Well, if someone can let me know perhaps I will consider getting one this fall if they release a new one.  Again, I speak only from an home/end user perspective.  There very well could be a market for the Mac-Mini in a business/educational/corporate/industrial capacity but that I haven't considered.

Thanks in advance. 
    My interest in it is as an alternative to the iMac as a desktop that I use a lot. While the iMac line is sufficient, buying a really nice stand alone monitor that can be upgraded or replaced later is a nice option. If the mac mini is inexpensive, it can be replaced more often, at less cost, than the iMac. You sorta leapfrog - display - CPU - display - cycles. 

Another option is a MacBook in clamshell mode. More flexibility at cost, of course.

Options are always good.
    fastasleepamarkaplarz2112
  • Reply 52 of 89
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,106member
    amarkap said:

Thanks in advance. 
    My mother barely needs/uses a computer, and she’s been using her 1st-gen Intel Mac Mini since 2006. It’s good for typing longer e-mails, posting something on Craigslist, syncing stuff to her iPhone etc., but she’d rather use her phone for just about everything else. I give her my monitors when I upgrade, and she has a perfectly good keyboard and mouse, so the Mac Mini is a sufficient and economical solution (although I’ve been trying to get her to upgrade to a newer Mini for ages—maybe this will be the year).
    amarkap
  • Reply 53 of 89
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    mac_128 said:
    ireland said:
    Apple should give mini a real update or call it a day on the product line. Not needed is a physical update, but updating pretty much the entire internals would be nice.

Oh I don't know. I can see a compelling ad campaign around an Apple TV sized mini that is a super computer that fits in your pocket. The whole thing is non-upgradable, with a port expansion hub via USB-C. It would mirror the MacBook line of thinking. Anything more, and there's the iMac and Pro. 
    I like this idea.  
    Dont mind the old form factor but Apple TV size Macmini would be pretty sweet for what I’d use. 
  • Reply 54 of 89
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    Ha ha well here we go:

8K 40" iMac (curved screen, perhaps a 4k 'for the rest of us' ie. Apple TV :) )
    Discrete displays to match above
    17" 4K Macbook Pro (discrete gpu & touchbar options)
    i7 quad core mini with gpu & matched (raid) drive slots
    iPads all stylus capable (including mini)
    Apple Watch with a round ('classic'?) design option
    All macs with industry standard customer adjustable memory, storage and Kensington lock slots
    VESA adaptable iMac with target display restored

Let the laughter and flames begin...!
    edited July 2018 TomE
  • Reply 55 of 89
    kimk69kimk69 Posts: 77member
    After more than four years, there had better be more to the Mac Mini update than just the processor.
    Just what I was thinking. 
    But I could have predicted processor upgrades. 
  • Reply 56 of 89
    Count me in on hoping for a thorough update of the Mini. As much as I like the form factor, I’d accept alteration to bring it further into this century...although I’m not unhappy with my ‘12 Mini, which still plugs away just fine. They should drop price on it too - “a Mac for the rest of us”.....
  • Reply 57 of 89

I’m 99.999999% sure the iPad Pros released in the fall will have a “notch” for Face ID

here’s why

A. The developer previews of iOS 12 have already shown on current iPads that they’ve moved the time from the center to the right. No info appears in the top center on current iPads. Pretty good sign.

B. Uniformity with the iPhone X

C. It occurs to me that the notch is a way for Apple to still differentiate even the most simplistic black and white line drawing representations of their hardware. If there is no notch in the B&W icon of an iPad, it’s just a freaking square (rectangle, whatever)

D. It’s a very subtle reference to the “notch” in the Apple logo itself

• Reply 58 of 89
    Ugh I suspect I’ll have so much trouble figuring out what to buy this year. My 2011 MacBook Pro has been a champ,but the previous models all didn’t feel like a significant upgrade. (Given that I’d have to BTO to get a 13 inch with a 512 ssd, 16 gigs of RAM and an i7 when I already have that)

Coffeelake should be a real significant upgrade, and I want to get the most future proof option I can. Back in June I was dead set on a new 13 inch MacBook Pro. But then they didn’t come out. With my new job I’m leaving my MacBook at home way more and using it primarily from my desk. So now the iMac feels like a better option for the same price. 

But the fact is I already have two Thunderbolt Monitors.

I am seriously thinking that if Apple releases everything in one go, I might just end up with a BTO mini and then save my extra cash for a higher end iPad Pro to use for word processing when I’m on the go. (And drawing)

the big thing for me is is going to be Face ID. I’d any Mac gets Face ID that’s what I’m buying. 
  • Reply 59 of 89
    anomeanome Posts: 1,531member
    matrix077 said:
    mac_128 said:
    ireland said:
    Apple should give mini a real update or call it a day on the product line. Not needed is a physical update, but updating pretty much the entire internals would be nice.

Oh I don't know. I can see a compelling ad campaign around an Apple TV sized mini that is a super computer that fits in your pocket. The whole thing is non-upgradable, with a port expansion hub via USB-C. It would mirror the MacBook line of thinking. Anything more, and there's the iMac and Pro. 
    I like this idea.  
    Dont mind the old form factor but Apple TV size Macmini would be pretty sweet for what I’d use. 

It's a great idea, and I'd certainly be interested in it, but the wailing will be fairly loud:

No upgradeable internals

"Apple just want to make everything smaller"

"Apple are just trying to screw us for more money"

"It doesn't have any legacy ports"

"RAM maxes out at 16GB and I need 32GB"

I mean, in this form factor, it almost certainly will be low power components, including RAM, most likely, so everyone will continue to whine about it.

I can also see a strong argument for keeping a current Mac mini form factor, and adding a Mac Nano to the line up, but I don't think they're going to do that. I also really suspect they'll keep a variation on the current form factor for the Mac mini, as cool as a NUC-sized box would be.

fastasleep
  • Reply 60 of 89
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    amarkap said:

Thanks in advance. 
    I use mine for two things:

1. Hosting my movie, TV show, and music libraries because the @#$%&!!! AppleTV won't just let us connect a hard drive full of stuff, we have to have a full-blown goddam computer with iTunes (or a storage device with a DLNA server built in).

2. Offline transcoding/rendering so I don't have to tie up my laptop for hours (sometimes days) while it chews through frames.

The mini sits on a shelf in the living room and uses the TV as its display. An iMac includes a fancy screen that I not only don't need, but really don't want because there's no place in the room to physically place something that big. I could probably cram a cylinder Mac Pro in there somewhere, but at twice the price of a suitable mini the value proposition gets mangled.

The mini is just what I need -- a decent Mac with no display attached.
    pscooter63