Researchers find loophole that extends USB Restricted Mode's hour-long timer

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Guess we will wait for 11.4.1.1

Once you put in your password, it should work until it is unplugged and something else is plugged in.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 22 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    linkman said:
    I wonder if this might have the unintended consequence of essentially bricking your iPhone? Imagine a situation where the port is locked out and then the battery dies. Plug the thing in to get it alive again only to have the phone not accept power and the owner cannot unlock it because there is no longer a way to do so without iOS starting up. I would assume that Apple tested for this though...
    I would HOPE that the system maintains its charging-when-dead policy of turning itself on when you plug it in (to show the low battery icon) and waiting for iOS to boot again (before… turning off charging?), but that timeframe is then also a security risk…
    mknelson said:
    Plugged into your Cinema Display, the other fellow mentioned plugged into his iMac.
    That could very well be it. I’ve never used wall adapters, myself.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    icoco3 said:

Once you put in your password, it should work until it is unplugged and something else is plugged in.
    Yes, that was my expectation too. The phone should be able to recognize if a different USB device has connected from the unique USB identifier and then shut down USB if it has been more than an hour.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    benji888benji888 Posts: 135member
    Wait… why can’t I quote myself?

Devices do not charge, confirmed.

Leaving a device for more than an hour and then plugging it in does not activate charging. This is an all-Apple environment. iPhone 6 plugged into a 27” Cinema Display with an Apple Lighting cable, plugged into a 2009 Mac Pro. Only after it’s unlocked does the charging *ping* sound and the battery icon turn green.
    But, this doesn't happen if you are plugging into an Apple charging brick, it will charge by just connecting, I just confirmed this...I hooked it up to my computer and it did nothing, (correction, a did a new vibration to get my attention), message on iPhone said to unlock it to use accessories, I did not unlock it, I plugged it into my Apple charging brick, (one that came with an iPad), and it charges without unlocking it, I then connected to computer again and it still asked me to unlock it.
    edited July 2018 tallest skilairnerdcgWerks
  • Reply 25 of 29
    benji888benji888 Posts: 135member
    To clarify: you can still plug your iPhone into a charging brick and it will charge without unlocking it.

If you are plugging it into anything that uses the data path at all, and you have not unlocked your iDevice for more than an hour, then you will have to unlock it. This will likely be rare in real world use...how many times have you left your iPhone alone without opening it at all for an hour?
    airnerd
  • Reply 26 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    benji888 said:
    you can still plug your iPhone into a charging brick and it will charge without unlocking it. If you are plugging it into anything that uses the data path at all, and you have not unlocked your iDevice for more than an hour, then you will have to unlock it.
    Oh, neat! Thanks for the confirmation. I figured it would be something like that.
    how many times have you left your iPhone alone without opening it at all for an hour?
    I’m thinking of terminating service because I don’t use it at all, actually.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    benji888 said:

If you are plugging it into anything that uses the data path at all, and you have not unlocked your iDevice for more than an hour, then you will have to unlock it. This will likely be rare in real world use...how many times have you left your iPhone alone without opening it at all for an hour?
    WTH??  Are you joking?  I had to look twice at your avatar because this seems like something a 19 year old would say.

How many times have I left my iPhone alone without opening it at all for an hour?  Every. Single. Day.  Probably at least 2-3 stretches every day where it sits untouched for at least a couple hours.

I am not a slave to my phone, nor am I a slave to people who think I need to be on instant-answer to them 24/7.  Our society has become sick and weakened by this disease of constantly checking their phones.  I really hope the answer to your question for most people is multiple times/day. 

Do you not sit down to dinner with friends and/or family and put your phone away?  Do you ever go to the gym and work out?  Do you stop between every rep or lap to look at your damn phone?  Play any kind of sports or gaming with friends?  If so, do you pick up your phone every time it buzzes?!  I could go on, but I'm sure you get my point, and hopefully iOS 12 will help people get a better grip on how much they are overusing their mobile devices.
    Soli
  • Reply 28 of 29
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    dewme said:
    Wait… why can’t I quote myself?

Devices do not charge, confirmed.

Leaving a device for more than an hour and then plugging it in does not activate charging. This is an all-Apple environment. iPhone 6 plugged into a 27” Cinema Display with an Apple Lighting cable, plugged into a 2009 Mac Pro. Only after it’s unlocked does the charging *ping* sound and the battery icon turn green.
    Aha, that explains why my iPhone 6+ was sitting at 57% charge after spending the night plugged into my iMac. Good to know and probably why my iPhone/IPad puts up that little blurb about USB functionality and unlocking when I plug it in. Good to know.
    Don't some desktops/laptops 'sleep' the USB ports? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.
    I've never had my iPhone (iPad) not charge when plugging it into my computer while it is awake. I have had my laptop stop charging things when it sleeps.
    But, I pretty much always just plug it into the power-brick, which I'm guessing would solve this problem.

JamesBrickley said:
    To do this to American citizens is despicable but yet it has been happening.  If you don't unlock your phone when they ask for it they can hold it almost indefinitely.  Nothing you can do about it either.  Really, if you are traveling to certain countries you should just carry a burner or buy one when you get there.
    They are really doing this? Sheesh... I'll have to remember that next time I travel. 

icoco3 said:

Yeah.... this. ^^^

benji888 said:
    To clarify: you can still plug your iPhone into a charging brick and it will charge without unlocking it.

Weird... why is charging tied to data transfer, though? You'd think plugging it into ANY USB port should charge it, and just fail to connect for data.