Spigen throwback cases pay homage to classic Apple designs

Posted:
in iPhone
Spigen recently launched a new lineup of cases designed to transform iPhone X into iconic Apple hardware of yore. We got our hands on the limited edition accessories to see if they stay true to their retro inspirations or are just kitsch.

Spigen C1 iPhone X Case

The cases, which have two distinct designs, are throwbacks to the original iPhone and the iMac G3. As with the genuine article, the G3 versions are the most colorful, with several different tone combinations available.

Designs

Spigen C1 iPhone X Case

These iMac-inspired cases come in three parts. A silver TPU layer that wraps around the iPhone and two plastic layers that act as the colorful and opaque parts of the computer.

Most of the cases have the large, colorful portion on top with a semi-opaque white portion on the bottom. The multi-layer design produces an impressive depth effect, playing homage to Apple's candy-colored desktop.

Colors available include green, red, teal, grey, and white. If enough orders are received, Spigen has promised two additional colors of the CLASSIC C1 case.

Spigen C1 iPhone X Case Hello again

Inside the case is a script "hello (again)" imprint, referencing the iMac G3's onstage introduction in 1998.

Spigen Classic ONE iPhone X Case

Our favorite of the cases is probably the CLASSIC ONE model. It features a simple silver body with a black accent on the bottom that, when shrouding an iPhone X, makes Apple's most modern phone look like the first iPhone.

Protection

Design aside, it is important to examine how these cases actually protect your iPhone X. Spigen is using its patented "Air Cushion Technology" for drop protection. In the 516.6 Procedure IV "transit drop" test that the case passes according to Spigen, a phone is dropped in the case from four feet onto 2-inch plywood placed on top of concrete. It is dropped six times on its face, eight times on the corners, and 12 times on the edge for a total of 26 drops.

• Spigen C1 iPhone X Case

A small silver bezel also wraps around the fronts of the cases, which offers a bit of protection on the front of the phone, even if just placing it on a desk or table face down. We personally prefer a larger opening around the Lighting port and speakers, which guarantees compatibility with a wider variety of docks and mounts.

Both the CLASSIC ONE and the CLASSIC C1 are available now from Spigen on Indiegogo with a ship date in June. $25 will get you either case in a color of your choosing, while $35 will get you one of each. Spigen has models available for the iPhone X, as well as the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Just ordered it in graphite. It looks retro but also appears quite stylish considering the plethora of boring cases around today.
    edited May 2018 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    If I ever used a case and had the cheddar for an X I would absolutely get the “classic one”. 
    Sgt Storms(trooper)
  • Reply 3 of 15
    In the picture showing all 5 colors the bottom of the Blue one is exchanged with the Silver one. Does the blue one come as all solid blue and the bottoms are switched, or do the colors all come with a Silver bottom half?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    payecopayeco Posts: 580member
    I was thinking about ordering one but I watched the video on their Indiegogo page and they called the iPhone X the “iPhone ex”. Sounds ridiculous but it really put a bad taste in my mouth.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    payeco said:
    I was thinking about ordering one but I watched the video on their Indiegogo page and they called the iPhone X the “iPhone ex”. Sounds ridiculous but it really put a bad taste in my mouth.
    I've heard it called "iPhone Ex" much more than "iPhone Ten" from everyday conversations with people (in Scotland). What about OS X, should it be Oh Ess Ecks or Oh Ess Ten?  :/  As even on the Apple website, it names the 10.6 for example as "Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard"... that would be pronounced "OS 10 10 point 6"? :neutral: 
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 6 of 15

payeco said:
    I’m with you. I think some people who pronounce it “ex” rather than “ten” are ignorant while others are being deliberately obtuse. Same goes for “OS X”. Apple has never marketed it as “ex”, it’s clearly following a numbering scheme (and who do you know that says “eight, nine, ex, eleven...”?). 

I don’t know if this is accurate but I’ve always thought it was also as a reference to Unix (with regard to OS X). 

“But, durrr, it’s an “X” so you say “ex”. I completely cannot understand Roman numerals.”

Also, it seems like if I’m trying to market my product to work with a product from another company I would try to correctly pronounce the name of the other product. Did Spigen really put so little effort into their product that they couldn’t determine the proper name of the iPhone X?
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 7 of 15
    adm1 said:
    payeco said:
    I've heard it called "iPhone Ex" much more than "iPhone Ten" from everyday conversations with people (in Scotland). What about OS X, should it be Oh Ess Ecks or Oh Ess Ten?  :/  As even on the Apple website, it names the 10.6 for example as "Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard"... that would be pronounced "OS 10 10 point 6"? :neutral: 
    This is easy to determine. Watch the keynote where they announced the iPhone X. Not once do they say “ecks” or “ex”. Same goes for (older) release of OS X. 

Easier, 20 seconds in to this video you can hear how ”iPhone X” is pronounced. (Watch the video titled “Design Film”.)

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 8 of 15
    adm1 said:
    payeco said:
    I wouldn't let it put me off a purchase of the case if someone pronounced wrong, or really even care much at all. However, yes. Yes, Mac OS X 10.6 is Mac Oh-ehs TEN TEN point six. Just like you don't say Ohs but Oh-ehs. And say the I in front of iPhone, not short i. It was always iPhone Ten. That's the product's name from Apple. Anyone else just read it without hearing anyone from Apple or Apple advertising say it. How much does that matter? Probably not much to many people. :smile: 

• Reply 9 of 15
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    And while we’re at it, that’s not teal, it’s bondi blue. 
    randominternetpersonbetter UI coding
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Dalmatian and flower power?
    better UI coding
  • Reply 11 of 15
    ericesqueericesque Posts: 28member
    adm1 said:I've heard it called "iPhone Ex" much more than "iPhone Ten" from everyday conversations with people (in Scotland). What about OS X, should it be Oh Ess Ecks or Oh Ess Ten?  :/  As even on the Apple website, it names the 10.6 for example as "Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard"... that would be pronounced "OS 10 10 point 6"? :neutral: 
    Yes. It's Oh Ess Ten.  If you open a Mac terminal and issue the command "say OS X", you'll hear it pronounced Oh Ess Ten. 
    better UI coding
  • Reply 12 of 15
    better UI codingbetter UI coding Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    Dalmatian and flower power?
    Yesss! ;)
  • Reply 13 of 15
    And while we’re at it, that’s not teal, it’s bondi blue. 
    Abolutely, I checked right now on my first iMac, its bondi blue housing has just that color. Great! B)

I guess the name “bondi blue” for this color is owned by Apple… :#
  • Reply 14 of 15
    In the picture showing all 5 colors the bottom of the Blue one is exchanged with the Silver one. Does the blue one come as all solid blue and the bottoms are switched, or do the colors all come with a Silver bottom half?
    Actually, this is another color, inspired by the iMac G3 Snow…

I wonder why they didn't make it all snow-white…? :#

• Reply 15 of 15
    My first Mac was the “pizza box” Macintosh LC II:)