Apple refreshes MacBook Pro with six-core processors, 32GB of RAM

Comments

• Reply 21 of 236
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    DuhSesame said:
    Finally.  How’s the keyboard?
    I have been using one of these new ones for a few months now, and find it is greatly improved...
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 236
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member

Is there any detail anywhere on what the Radeon Pro 555X is?

Does the X just denote the 4GB VRAM in all tiers now, and the chip is largely unchanged from the 555? That's what it sounds like, I'm surprised there's no Vega though. The 555 in turn was the same as the 455, so the GPU itself is largely unchanged from the 2016 mid tier model.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 236
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    Where’s the “no one needs 32GB of RAM” crowd? 
    Clearly Apple thinks the customers need it........... 

The market demanded it, Apple listened. 

Edit:  
    Nevermind, they are already downplaying the fact they were wrong. 
    edited July 2018 avon b7lamboaudi4williamlondonAvieshekAlex1N
  • Reply 24 of 236
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 864member
    seankill said:

Now if they could just rip out the guts of that one and put it in a Mac Mini :open_mouth: 

• Reply 25 of 236
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    seankill said:

Or is because Intel is too slow so it doesn’t worth to wait another year.  DDR4 sounds more like a compromise.

32GiB is always nicer than 16GiB by the way.
    edited July 2018 watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 26 of 236
    Totally unexpected! Dissapointed with base model, but it makes sense.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 236
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    tipoo said:

Does the X just denote the 4GB VRAM in all tiers now, and the chip is largely unchanged from the 555? That's what it sounds like, I'm surprised there's no Vega though. The 555 in turn was the same as the 455, so the GPU itself is largely unchanged from the 2016 mid tier model.

I was also hoping for Vega, but with only an X added it must surely still be Polaris.
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 28 of 236
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    ascii said:
    tipoo said:

I was also hoping for Vega, but with only an X added it must surely still be Polaris.

By the Radeon RX 560X, it looks like a very minor clock speed bump, same as the 560 and 555 already were. 
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 29 of 236
    DuhSesame said:
    seankill said:

Or is because Intel is too slow so it doesn’t worth to wait another year.  DDR4 sounds more like a compromise.

Or is it because Apple wouldn’t design a custom controller (which they do constantly and do a wonderful job at it) and make the computer a little thicker, boosting the whr rating of the battery? 
    Or just put the DDR4 in there with a little bigger battery. Sure it’s a compromise, that’s engineering. 
    Sure, it’s Intel’s screw up but it can easily be designed out. 

AvieshekAlex1Ndoozydozen
  • Reply 30 of 236
    DuhSesame said:
    They did not update the non-touch bar 13 models... Kind of ridiculous to keep selling intel 7th gen and 8th gen models side-by-side. Well at least its saving me the urge to spend $1300. Better luck next year.
    It’s Tim.
    It's an incentive.
  • Reply 31 of 236
    seankill said:
    DuhSesame said:
    seankill said:

Or is it because Apple wouldn’t design a custom controller (which they do constantly and do a wonderful job at it) and make the computer a little thicker, boosting the whr rating of the battery? 
    Or just put the DDR4 in there with a little bigger battery. Sure it’s a compromise, that’s engineering. 

Designing that chip will be much difficult than what keyboard commando suggests.  How would you bypass Intel’s own memory controller?  Will Intel allowed such thing to exist?
    edited July 2018 macpluspluswatto_cobraAlex1Ndoozydozen
  • Reply 32 of 236
    DuhSesame said:
    They did not update the non-touch bar 13 models... Kind of ridiculous to keep selling intel 7th gen and 8th gen models side-by-side. Well at least its saving me the urge to spend $1300. Better luck next year.
    It’s Tim.
    It's an incentive.
    Tim’s incentive.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 236
    DuhSesame said:
    seankill said:
    DuhSesame said:
    seankill said:

Designing that chip will be much difficult than what keyboard commando suggests.
    Because Apple never designs custom chips.... They are more than capable. Regardless, clearly Apple felt it was needed (would they have done it without the critical crowd? Who knows), just take the loss and move on. It’s called progress! 

The argument of “no one needs 32GB” is null anyway. I got my MacBook in 2012, I only needed 8GB (or so I thought, running simulations for classes easily took advantage of the 16GB) but I knew the RAM was soldered so I got 16GB. It’s called future proofing. I now use 16GB on a regular basis just doing general tasks, not “Pro” grade work. I have a desktop for that now. 
    AvieshekAlex1N
  • Reply 34 of 236
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    slurpy said:
    Woah, out of nowhere! Awesome update.
    No leaks on this one.
    watto_cobraAlex1Ndoozydozen
  • Reply 35 of 236
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    brucemc said:
    DuhSesame said:
    Finally.  How’s the keyboard?
    I have been using one of these new ones for a few months now, and find it is greatly improved…
    How did you get access to a new MBP with a 3rd gen keyboard?
    netmagebshankJWSCdjames4242mike1Avieshekwatto_cobraAlex1Ndoozydozen
  • Reply 36 of 236
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    seankill said:
    DuhSesame said:
    seankill said:

Well put. 

I suppose now they'll be saying that Apple listens to the 'whiners'. If only they would accept differing opinions without telling us so confidently that '... It ain't gonna', 'Apple knows best...', 'It's too much effort' etc.

I wonder if this third generation keyboard will be included in recently announced extension to butterfly keyboard warranties and if not, if the third generation will automatically be used as a replacement part of first and second generation keyboards?
    Alex1Nmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 37 of 236
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Some of the complaints I’m seeing from people like Marco Arment are ridiculous and disingenuous. Complain about pricing, fine. But expecting Apple to basically revert back to the 2015/2012 design? Marco knows damn good and well Apple isn’t going to abandon a new design only a couple years after introducing it and certainly isn’t going to re-introduce ports that were removed. Also there is no evidence the keyboard issue was because of the butterfly design (John Gruber claims he heard it was due to a specific metal parts supplier issue) so people complaining about that are being disingenuous too. Especially considering most of them hated it to begin with. IMO the only valid complaints would be pricing and the non-TB model not being updated.
    chiabshankpatchythepiratesennenAlex1Nthtdoozydozen
  • Reply 38 of 236
    seankill said:
    DuhSesame said:
    seankill said:
    DuhSesame said:
    seankill said:

Designing that chip will be much difficult than what keyboard commando suggests.
    Because Apple never designs custom chips.... They are more than capable. Regardless, clearly Apple felt it was needed (would they have done it without the critical crowd? Who knows), just take the loss and move on. It’s called progress! 

The argument of “no one needs 32GB” is null anyway. I got my MacBook in 2012, I only needed 8GB (or so I thought, running simulations for classes easily took advantage of the 16GB) but I knew the RAM was soldered so I got 16GB. It’s called future proofing. I now use 16GB on a regular basis just doing general tasks, not “Pro” grade work. I have a desktop for that now. 
    They’re more than capable if they build their own processors.  You simply can’t bypass Intel’s design (if possible), otherwise that will be reverse engineering and lawsuits up your butt.

I’m not saying 16GiB is better than 32GiB, but if you can’t then you just can’t.  You could say they start to build a 32GiB machine in the first place, but no one knows for sure how tech will go wo years after.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 39 of 236
    avon b7 said:
    seankill said:
    DuhSesame said:
    seankill said:

Well put. 

I suppose now they'll be saying that Apple listens to the 'whiners'. If only they would accept differing opinions without telling us so confidently that '... It ain't gonna', 'Apple knows best...', 'It's too much effort' etc.

I wonder if this third generation keyboard will be included in recently announced extension to butterfly keyboard warranties and if not, if the third generation will automatically be used as a replacement part of first and second generation keyboards?
    Oh great, I’m the one who thinks everything is alright then.
  • Reply 40 of 236
    backstabbackstab Posts: 138member
    Continuation of whining and bitching in ...3 ...2 ...1
    lkruppwatto_cobraAlex1N