Apple finally discontinues 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited July 2018
Following the release of the 2018 MacBook Pro refresh, Apple has quietly, finally, stopped selling the 2015 MacBook Pro as new on Apple.com after a three-year run.

2015 MacBook Pro

The refresh of Apple's MacBook Pro page early on Thursday eradicated the listing for the 2015 model. Fans of the machine refer to the legacy ports on the machine, including USB-A, as well as the older keyboard, as reasons why they seek out the older machine.

Intel's failures over the years to deliver faster processors led to a situation where the 2015 MacBook Pro was competitive with even the 2017 model in CPU calculations, but not GPU performance.

AppleInsider has spoken to several sources at retail regarding the matter. All of our sources have informed us that the 2016 MacBook Pro have outsold the 2015 dramatically, with one person we spoke to telling us that the ratio was 48 of the newer machines to one of the 2015 for the last few months.

Additionally, quantities of the older machine received for stock have been extremely limited for the last few weeks.

We were advised that if a customer wants a new 2015-era MacBook Pro, they should seek them out at retail now, as restocks going forward aren't expected. Refurbished models are likely to remain on Apple's sales portal for some time.

AppleInsider compared the 2015 and 2016 MacBook Pro lines, finding the 2016 better in nearly every regard.

Apple's 2018 15-inch MacBook Pro line come with new processors, with six-core options, up to 32GB of RAM, up to 4TB of storage, and an option for a True Tone display. Prices range from $2499 to $6699 at the high end. For discounts of up to $325 off 2015 models, please see our 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro Price Guide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    How does Apple get away with selling 3-year-old hardware with the same NEW like prices?  How the hell can you get the costs of one of these 3-year-old things to $6699?  That's just insane!!!  Is it half filled with gold?

avon b7
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    jbdragon said:
    How does Apple get away with selling 3-year-old hardware with the same NEW like prices?  How the hell can you get the costs of one of these 3-year-old things to $6699?  That's just insane!!!  Is it half filled with gold?

I'm not certain what you're talking about. Your comment doesn't seem relevant to this article.
    edited July 2018 racerhomie3aylkking editor the gratechiafastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jbdragon said:
    You're wondering how a laptop with a 4 TB SSD can be expensive?
    racerhomie3mike1chiaStrangeDayspscooter63sphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The ArmentBook Pro, as Mike calls it. It's so handy not needing a hub with you, though.
    edited July 2018 aylk
  • Reply 5 of 18
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    jbdragon said:

It’s their product. You don’t have any say in it.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 18
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,621member
    jbdragon said:

He does. We all do. Just don't buy. Apple decides but we most definitely have say.
    irelandmuthuk_vanalingamtyler82
  • Reply 7 of 18
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    jbdragon said:

WTF are you talking about?
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    slurpy said:
    jbdragon said:

WTF are you talking about?
    He conflated the two articles.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    avon b7 said:
    jbdragon said:

He does. We all do. Just don't buy. Apple decides but we most definitely have say.
    Not really. They make their products as they see fit, and people either buy them or don't buy them. Complaining about every single thing Apple does on rumor sites has absolutely zero impact in this process.

Same way that your chinese knockoffs decide what they're going to do based on what they want to do, and not on what we say about it here.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    ireland said:
    The ArmentBook Pro, as Mike calls it. It's so handy not needing a hub with you, though.
    I don't need a hub with me, either. I did carry one for a while, but I rarely plugged anything into it, and now I have all USB-C stuff anyway.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    the little guythe little guy Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I'm trying to catch up, but i'm confused. How long will Apple continue to offer support for the 2015 model? Is it akin to buying a 3 year old model, or since they were still selling new, will it be supported for longer?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    GrimzahnGrimzahn Posts: 64member
    jbdragon said:

It was the last model without TouchBar? TouchBar isnt really a great thing if you rely on findig the key without being able to see it.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 13 of 18
    esaruohoesaruoho Posts: 61member
    now I'm really glad I got a 1TB SSD 2,8GHz Intel Core i7 15" Mid-2015 MacBookPro built-to-order December 2017. I have the ports I need and the machine is faster than my Mid-2009 MBP. Actually went in to the Apple Store website to see if the mid-2015 MBP was there prior to reading this article, and was surprised to note that it was no longer there.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    mcdarkmcdark Posts: 28member
    And thus for the first time in 20 years, Apple no longer sells any Mac that I would want to buy. The end of an era.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,621member
    avon b7 said:
    jbdragon said:

Not really. They make their products as they see fit, and people either buy them or don't buy them. Complaining about every single thing Apple does on rumor sites has absolutely zero impact in this process.

Same way that your chinese knockoffs decide what they're going to do based on what they want to do, and not on what we say about it here.
    Phil Schiller has come out on numerous occasions with his fire blanket to try and quash firestorms that flare up on the internet. Apple is perfectly aware of what users are saying, wanting and complaining about. Steve Jobs almost made a habit of saying 'the number one feature users ask for is...' Apple even put FireWire back on the laptop lineup after removing it, probably due to the howling complaints at the time.

As for Huawei, they put the USB-A port back on the MateBook due to customer demand.

And returning to Phil Schiller, and more precisely the 32GB, LP issue, he went out of his way to explain why the 2016 models didn't support that amount of RAM. Now they have re-engineered a motherboard, and in the process, done what they didn't want to do.

There will be more than one reason but the collective voice of users is definitely one of them. You are free to believe that users have 'absolutely zero impact' on the process though. 

Don't you remember this sentence:

"Consumers want what we don't have"

https://www.theverge.com/2014/4/4/5571926/apple-document-shows-concern-for-iphone-sales-decline-need-for-bigger-iPhone

• Reply 16 of 18
    rattlhedrattlhed Posts: 155member
    Reading this article on my 2015 15" MacBook Pro.  Such a workhorse, still going strong with no signs of slowing down.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    i am tempted to pick one up as i love that old school MacPro keyboard. i still haven’t gotten use to the short key travel on my MacBook.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    How long will Apple continue to offer support for the 2015 model? Is it akin to buying a 3 year old model, or since they were still selling new, will it be supported for longer?
    That… is an interesting question. I’m almost certain it’s “6 years from the last date of being sold new,” but I’m not 100%. The Mid-2012 13” MacBook Pro was sold until October 2016, and it’s still listed as supported. Whether it becomes obsolete in another year is left to be seen.

Ah, but while the 2011 MacBook Pro family is all vintage, the iPad 2 (which was introduced in 2011) is still supported, BUT THE IPAD 3RD GENERATION IS VINTAGE, and it was released later. I’ll say now that it’s “from the last date of being sold new