Apple refreshes MacBook Pro with six-core processors, 32GB of RAM

Comments

• Reply 141 of 236
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    MplsP said:
    When the new MacBooks came out everyone was complaining about the lack of a 32GB option - I wonder how many people will actually shell out $6k for a laptop with 32GB of RAM
    That's only if you max out everything. 32 GiB RAM is a $400 up charge and I think available for all 15" configurations.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 142 of 236
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    What a stupid thing Apple did. My heart almost stop when I read the function key Macbook Pro was not updated... Are you in sain ??? You were suppose to have completely remove the mistake made in past of implementing useless touch strip. Either give Macbook /Pro wihh touch screen or don't. No haf hazard touch gimmicks.
    edited July 2018 williamlondon
  • Reply 143 of 236
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    DAalseth said:
    One side of this that nobody seems to have noticed. For the first time in a number of years the new Macs are out in time for Back To School shopping. For once you can get a new Mac for school and actually get a NEW Mac for school.
    Except Apple didn’t update their cheapest Macs. How many students are buying the 13 or 15 MBP for school?
    High school you're likely right. But I could see University students going with Pros so they will be future proofed for most of their University career.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 144 of 236
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    wood1208 said:
    What a stupid thing Apple did. My heart almost stop when I read the function key Macbook Pro was not updated... Are you in sain ??? You were suppose to have completely remove the mistake made in past of implementing useless touch strip.
    It’s insane and it’s called a Touch Bar. Learn how to spell.
    lamboaudi4Alex1N
  • Reply 145 of 236
    henrybayhenrybay Posts: 144member
    Unbelievable! The amount of key travel still hasn’t changed in these latest Macbooks! For goodness sake, how can you ignore the thousands and thousands of users who complain that the new MacBook keyboards are too shallow. We’re not asking for much - just some extra millimetres of extra key travel to make these computers usable for serious typing. Instead, you seem determined to sacrifice functionality for thin-ness. WHY? 
  • Reply 146 of 236
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    wood1208 said:
    What a stupid thing Apple did. My heart almost stop when I read the function key Macbook Pro was not updated... Are you in sain ??? You were suppose to have completely remove the mistake made in past of implementing useless touch strip.
    What's a difference ? touch bar or strip or stupid OLED strip or whatever is called !!! To me and millions Macbook Pro users, it is useless. I rather have cheaper or other upgrade than touch bar.
  • Reply 147 of 236
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    zoetmb said:
    It's been this way for a while, but I think Apple has lost its mind in regard to pricing.   I think the fact that their executives and managers make so much money (even if offset by absurd housing costs) has distorted their perception of what the masses, even the higher-end of those masses, can afford to buy. …
    The 2001 Powerbook G4 debuted at $2599. Adjusted for inflation, that’s $3700. 

I've never understood the way Apple charges for storage and RAM (well, I suppose it made sense back when they were barely making ends meet), but the fact is that their products are becoming (much) cheaper over time. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 148 of 236
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Damn you Apple. Why did you put in 32GB? What will all the pretend haters who claim they run multiple VMs whine about now?

I run multiple VMs, it's just that 16GB seems to have been plenty for me to do so thus far. (Not saying more wouldn't be better, but I have no real complaints.)

I'll start the bitching, though. No 32GB option in the 13"? Disappointed! I shall throw this perfectly good rattle out of this pram!

(Seriously, if I didn't have a 2016 MBP already, I'd think about one of these, but I don't really need one just yet.)

Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 149 of 236
    > Maxed out with a 2.6GHz six-core processor, 32GB of RAM, and a 4TB SSD, the 15-inch MacBook Pro retails for $6699. LMAO. Who's gonna pay $7000 for a laptop?
  • Reply 150 of 236
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    rhinotuff said:
    Awesome!  Now bring on the Mac Mini refresh!
    But will we like the Mac Mini even if it is refreshed? If it's not user upgradeable, I wouldn't be jumping for joy. I still might buy it if the specs are good. Each new product cycle, Apple is letting fewer users perform simple component upgrades on their own machines. It's not a matter of hating Apple because that's how they do business. I just don't understand why Apple is so different from other computer manufacturers.
    Apple is not other computer manufacturers.  They do this to keep large profits so the stock price stays up.   It allows them to maintain macOS.   Otherwise they would be just another Windows OEM.   I can understand wanting an upgradable Desktop but that’s not going to happen with a laptop.   Hopefully you will get a mini where you can upgrade the SSD.   Otherwise Windows is your alternate os.
  • Reply 151 of 236
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Anything with less than 128GB of RAM is not considered "Pro"
  • Reply 152 of 236
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    wood1208 said:
    wood1208 said:
    What's a difference ? touch bar or strip or stupid OLED strip or whatever is called !!! To me and millions Macbook Pro users, it is useless. I rather have cheaper or other upgrade than touch bar.

I own a 2017 MacBook Pro and I like the touch bar. Speak for yourself.
    SoliAlex1Nchia
  • Reply 153 of 236
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Wow Apple needs to get rid of the function keys. I really want a regular MacBook with Touch Bar.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 154 of 236
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    MplsP said:
    When the new MacBooks came out everyone was complaining about the lack of a 32GB option - I wonder how many people will actually shell out $6k for a laptop with 32GB of RAM
    You don’t have to. It’s $400 for the upgrade.
    edited July 2018 Alex1Nwatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 155 of 236
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    wood1208 said:
    wood1208 said:
    No it is not a stupid OLED strip. It is a complete subsystem including Touch ID, Apple Pay, T2 chip, the Facetime camera... A stupid PC laptop’s camera may be remotely hacked and seized, Facetime camera not, because it is securely operated by the T2 chip.
    edited July 2018 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 156 of 236
    wood1208 said:
    What a stupid thing Apple did. My heart almost stop when I read the function key Macbook Pro was not updated... Are you in sain ??? You were suppose to have completely remove the mistake made in past of implementing useless touch strip. Either give Macbook /Pro wihh touch screen or don't. No haf hazard touch gimmicks.
    I like it, and most people I know like it. Just say that you don’t, and leave it at that.
    Alex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 157 of 236

wood1208 said:
    wood1208 said:
    That’s you, and you don’t know that millions of people don’t like it. Millions do.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 158 of 236
    mad102190 said:
    > Maxed out with a 2.6GHz six-core processor, 32GB of RAM, and a 4TB SSD, the 15-inch MacBook Pro retails for $6699. LMAO. Who's gonna pay $7000 for a laptop?
    Look at all the $7,000, and higher priced top line Windows laptops, and you’ll see that there’s a market for it.

Just remember that it’s NOT a $7,000 laptop. That’s with all the upgrades you’re not required to buy.
    dewmeAlex1Nchia
  • Reply 159 of 236
    Are any of these new "pro" laptops capable of real VR without an external GPU? I ask because they cost twice as much as Windows laptops that are fully VR capable.
  • Reply 160 of 236
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    melgross said:
    MplsP said:
    You don’t have to. It’s $400 for the upgrade.
    Sure. When you wrote “$400 for the upgrade” though, you didn’t feel a tiny weeny bit of outrage? It is, btw, AUD$640 in my country. For an extra 16GB of RAM!*

I have come to believe Cook is a Mac hater. his behaviour and actions implies this is true. The future in Cook world is iOS.  And no doubt to demonstrably ‘prove’ hardly anyone actually wanted 32GB of RAM, he made the upgrade price so egrariously offensive only the most desperate die hard could invent a reason to justify it.

* there is always a faint and unrealistic hope it is a typo and an extra zero ended up on the upgrade price.
    edited July 2018