Duet Display – which iPad generation for smooth video streaming?

Posted:
in iPad
Hello!

I'm connecting an iPad 3-rd gen to a MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2017 (running macOS 0.3.5) through 30-pin to USB cable + USB to USB 3 adapter and I'm getting very choppy and laggy video stream through Duet Display. When moving cursor itself it's absolutely smooth, but as I make more visual changes on the screen (eg. dragging a Finder window) I'm starting to get as low as around 5-10 fps and around 500 ms delay in video transmission. Forget about watching a video.

Thought it has something to do with the issues that came up with macOS 10.3.4, but same thing happened on my older MacBook Pro Mid 2010 running macOS 10.3.3 (here I've connected 30-pin to USB cable directly to the computer).

Can you please tell which iPad generations are you using for smooth video streaming using Duet Display? I urgently need to have it running smoothly, so I'm thinking of getting a more recent generation of iPad, but don't want to spend money on "too good one".

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    The current $349 model is fine, as is any iPad Pro at all. I'm not sure I'd buy an older one, but the Air 2 is fine as well.
    edited July 2018 Tomm
  • Reply 2 of 4
    TommTomm Posts: 3member
    The current $349 model is fine, as is any iPad Pro at all. I'm not sure I'd buy an older one, but the Air 2 is fine as well.
    Thanks a lot for a prompt reply! To pay $350 just for an external display is definitely much, so I'd rather go for a used Air 2 (which is around $190). Just to make sure: so you confirm that you've run Duet Display smoothly on Air 2 connected to macOS 10.3.4 (or higher)? 
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Tomm said:
    Thanks a lot for a prompt reply! To pay $350 just for an external display is definitely much, so I'd rather go for a used Air 2 (which is around $190). Just to make sure: so you confirm that you've run Duet Display smoothly on Air 2 connected to macOS 10.3.4 (or higher)? 
    Yup. To be perfectly clear, it's never going to be identical to a HDMI or DisplayPort connection, but a newer iPad is way, way better than the iPad 3 that you're using.
    edited July 2018 Tomm
  • Reply 4 of 4
    TommTomm Posts: 3member
    Thank you for confirming smooth video streaming with Air 2. I understand it's not like HDMI, but can you for example watch 30 fps full screen video on Air 2 with Duet Display?