Apple & Blackmagic launch new eGPU to match updated MacBook Pros

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    I wonder if they picked this GPU because they could get a good price on it or if it is pushing the limits of what you can get out of a thunderbolt 3 eGPU?
  • Reply 22 of 23
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I wonder if they picked this GPU because they could get a good price on it or if it is pushing the limits of what you can get out of a thunderbolt 3 eGPU?
    It’s a reliable, and popular GPU. It’s also a mid priced GPU. The problem is that all of these stupid Bitcoin miners have been buying medium and high end GPUs for some time now, so the prices are sometimes double of what they should be. You know, good old supply and demand. Why Nvidia and AMD didn’t just up production is beyond me, because they aren’t benefiting from the higher board prices.

but with these crypto currency prices dropping, demand for boards by miners is also dropping, as are the prices, slowly.
    edited July 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 23
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    The RX580 is not pushing the limits of a TB3 eGPU. I'm typing this to you while connected to a pair of 4K screens connected to a Vega 64, and been using it since the card was supported by the technology shortly after High Sierra exited pre-release betas.

Even through Thunderbolt 3, it is faster than the one on the iMac Pro from a performance perspective.