Apple Music's 'Carpool Karaoke: The Series' nominated for Emmy Award

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Though lacking critical and audience acclaim, Apple Music's "Carpool Karaoke" is turning a few industry heads, as the series is up for a prestigious television award.

Carpool Karaoke

Television Academy chairman and CEO Hayma Washington, as well as president and CEO Maury McIntyre, on Thursday announced this year's Emmy nominees from the Wolf Theatre at the Television Academy's Saban Media Center. Among this year nominees: "Carpool Karaoke."

Apple's "Carpool Karaoke" series has been nominated for an Outstanding Short Form Variety Series award, a surprise to many who weren't fond of Apple's adaptation of late night talk show host James Corden's bit.

The "Carpool" team celebrated the news with a shoutout, and accompanying gif, on Twitter.

It's a party in the carpool lane! #CarpoolKaraoke just nabbed an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Short Form Variety Series pic.twitter.com/POvU171uRu

-- Carpool Karaoke (@CarpoolKaraoke)
The Late Late Show with James Corden spawned "Carpool," which was picked up by Apple, massaged into a full-length show and streamed on Apple Music. The talk show version still appears on The Late Late Show, and Corden will pop in from time to time on Apple's iteration.

Apple has been increasingly investing in their television series, amassing quite the list of shows, but has yet to announced where the lode of content will be made available. Original series could air on Apple Music, as did "Carpool" and "Planet of the Apps," but a recent report suggests Apple is looking to bundle its music, video and news offerings in a new subscription service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Didn't everyone say this show sucked and Tim Cook should be fired for this??
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    So far I've watched half of one of them as part of the 3-month trial of Apple Music. Seemed dumb to be. By the way, being nominated is not a big deal. It's WINNING that is. Lots get nominated, few win.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    jbdragon said:
    So far I've watched half of one of them as part of the 3-month trial of Apple Music. Seemed dumb to be. By the way, being nominated is not a big deal. It's WINNING that is. Lots get nominated, few win.

And if they win, you can say, "Yeah well, they only won it once. Let's see 'em do it next year."
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    claire1 said:
    They probably said something to that effect, yes.

I saw my first one the other day; Sir Paul McCartney being driven around his home town of Liverpool, visiting his old home (now a museum obviously) where he and the band used to practice. He loved it. The fans surprised by a gig in a pub loved it. 

Possibly the best interview I've ever seen. I was actually moved, and I'm not a huge Beatles fan.
    icoco3jony0
  • Reply 5 of 5
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    claire1 said:
    Yes, that’s exactly what the techie boyz here said. That’s also what they are saying about Apple’s endeavors to produce original streaming content. They want Apple to go back to being what it was twenty years ago, a computer maker, period.
    jony0