Defending Tim Cook: Why Apple remains in good hands

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    jcc said:
    Jobs was an entrepreneur. That’s a completely different animal. For example, people keep asking why Apple kept so much cash around. This was before Jobs died and Cook started giving it away. Every entrepreneur knows why. Bozos and bureaucrats don’t. They don’t have a clue why a company needs to hoard cash.
    Yes, unfortunately, Apple is on the public market. That pretty much guarantees, stupid. The difference is that Jobs with his 'magic' and RDF was able to somewhat keep the stupid influence of the public markets at bay.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    cgWerks said:
    jcc said:
    Jobs was an entrepreneur. That’s a completely different animal. For example, people keep asking why Apple kept so much cash around. This was before Jobs died and Cook started giving it away. Every entrepreneur knows why. Bozos and bureaucrats don’t. They don’t have a clue why a company needs to hoard cash.
    Yes, unfortunately, Apple is on the public market. That pretty much guarantees, stupid. The difference is that Jobs with his 'magic' and RDF was able to somewhat keep the stupid influence of the public markets at bay.
    But Steve knew why and that’s why he didn’t pay any attention to bottom feeding, green mailing dirt bags like Icahn and why Cook immediately submitted to Icahn’s demands. Icahn also knew that he would have no chance going up against a strong leader like Jobs. Cook is another story.
  • Reply 63 of 74
    Or, maybe to put this another way...
    The internet is now littered with articles like this:
    https://hackernoon.com/why-i-owned-a-macbook-pro-for-a-day-and-what-it-says-to-me-about-the-future-of-apple-75b84458d86c

I run across them every few days without even looking for them. They aren't written by the Apple-haters, but by people like me who've used Apple products for years, and love the company (and truly want to see them succeed!).

As that old saying goes... the proof is in the pudding. Apple has plenty of money, and at least temporary success, they can certainly just choose the to ignore the signs and problems. All the Apple fanboys can chide people like me who complain on Apple-related forums. But, they can't run from reality... it always wins.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    cgWerks said:
    https://hackernoon.com/why-i-owned-a-macbook-pro-for-a-day-and-what-it-says-to-me-about-the-future-of-apple-75b84458d86c

I run across them every few days without even looking for them. They aren't written by the Apple-haters, but by people like me who've used Apple products for years, and love the company (and truly want to see them succeed!).

As that old saying goes... the proof is in the pudding. Apple has plenty of money, and at least temporary success, they can certainly just choose the to ignore the signs and problems. All the Apple fanboys can chide people like me who complain on Apple-related forums. But, they can't run from reality... it always wins.
    Right, I for one thinks that if Steve were alive he’d be furious at Cook, Ive, the the rest of sr management. One of the things  Steve always stressed was the ability to focus. Unfortunately, Cook and Ive have completely forgotten that philosophy. They seem preoccupied with frivolous vanity projects like joining foundations, giving interviews, getting into politics. Time spent on that bs means time not spent on Apple products which is quite apparent to anyone who has been paying attention.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 65 of 74
    kiltedgreenkiltedgreen Posts: 599member
    If Steve made all the right decisions, then surely he made the right decision naming Tim as his successor, no?
  • Reply 66 of 74
    jcc said:
    Right, I for one thinks that if Steve were alive he’d be furious at Cook, Ive, the the rest of sr management. One of the things  Steve always stressed was the ability to focus. Unfortunately, Cook and Ive have completely forgotten that philosophy. They seem preoccupied with frivolous vanity projects like joining foundations, giving interviews, getting into politics. Time spent on that bs means time not spent on Apple products which is quite apparent to anyone who has been paying attention.
    If my read of the situation is correct, he'd also be furious at the fundamental shift in priorities for the company in a matter of a couple of years. Steve loved profits, but I think he saw them as a result of excellence, not an end in themselves. And, Steve was definitely a style guy, not a fashion guy.

If Steve made all the right decisions, then surely he made the right decision naming Tim as his successor, no?
    I don't think anyone is claiming Steve made all the right decisions or did everything right. But, he had his top priorities (at least in terms of Apple) straight, and had a drive to chase excellence, regardless who cared or what the rest of the world thought. I see Apple still using that as a marketing slogan, but it's getting kind of hollow.

Tim is excellent at running the company aspect of Apple. I'm not sure Steve could have picked a better person, for sure. But, I get the impression Steve thought the Apple-ethos was baked into the company. When the first 'Steve's gone, Apple's doomed.' stuff started coming out, I also argued against it. I couldn't believe a culture could so quickly change, and realized that, obviously, the talent wasn't all Steve.

But, cultures can change extremely rapidly (fast enough to shock even those of us who study culture). Just look at the rest of the world around us if you don't believe that. I think something similar happened at Apple. I hope and pray I'm wrong!
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 67 of 74
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jcc said:
    cgWerks said:

I'm sure your employer and customers would rather you not do anything else but work for the company also.
  • Reply 68 of 74
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Is that really an argument? Anyone familiar with Apple and Steve knows he didn’t always make the right decisions, he just happened to make more right decisions overall than wrong ones.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    No, that's not correct. Steve was a very selfish person. Anyone who has read his biographies or saw interviews with those who knew him can attest to. He didn't give a crap about having a successor at the helm because up until the last year of his life he still thought that his "magical thinking" was somehow going to save him. He didn't want anyone else to be better near him at Apple. He didn't want someone to Gil Amelio him. By the time he realized that he's a deadman walking it was too late to start looking and grooming. Cook was the most qualified at such short notice.
  • Reply 70 of 74
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jcc said:
    No, that's not correct. Steve was a very selfish person. Anyone who has read his biographies or saw interviews with those who knew him can attest to. He didn't give a crap about having a successor at the helm because up until the last year of his life he still thought that his "magical thinking" was somehow going to save him. He didn't want anyone else to be better near him at Apple. He didn't want someone to Gil Amelio him. By the time he realized that he's a deadman walking it was too late to start looking and grooming. Cook was the most qualified at such short notice.
    Nope.

He was Apple's Chief executive in 2009 while Jobs was away on one of his medical leaves. Jobs resigned in 2011, and Cook was named CEO.

Plenty of grooming time. Plenty of vetting time.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 71 of 74
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    jcc said:
    Nope.

He was Apple's Chief executive in 2009 while Jobs was away on one of his medical leaves. Jobs resigned in 2011, and Cook was named CEO.

Plenty of grooming time. Plenty of vetting time.
    I think Tim may name a successor in the next 3-5 years. His public appearances suggest to me he may want to get into politics after Apple.
  • Reply 72 of 74
    Herbert LyeHerbert Lye Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Right, no one should ever compare one's charisma with another when it comes to assessing one's performance.

I'll put aside all the technical analysis of Apple's stocks & sales figures since the reign of Tim Cook aside, and ask ourselves the real question, how many of us has been gradually walking further & further away from the iOS/MacOS ecosystem? I do of course, and to be specific, 10 months ago as I've sold my iPhone 6s Plus, an iPad Pro, a 15" MacBook Pro & an Apple TV, why? Honestly, there's nothing else that Apple could serve my daily computing purposes any better than what Google Pixel 2 on Android Oreo & a Windows Surface Pro do, and they do so much better  instantaneous synchronization, choices of softwares and applications that I finally could agree to disagree that purchased apps that I used to love so much on App Store, better versions are widely found on both Play Store & Microsoft Store, not to mention the prices did saved my bank account.

And what I personally think about what Tim should be doing to save Apple from resenting more Apple users & fanboys is to get Steve Wozniak as an advisor.

No one understands Jobs & Apple more than Jobs & Wozniak themselves. 
  • Reply 73 of 74
    Herbert Lye said:
    I'll put aside all the technical analysis of Apple's stocks & sales figures since the reign of Tim Cook aside, and ask ourselves the real question, how many of us has been gradually walking further & further away from the iOS/MacOS ecosystem?
    I suppose the rebuttal would be that for every one of us drifting away from Cook's Apple, they are drawing in 10 other new iPhone/iOS people and even a few new Mac people to the platform. And, that's a fair argument, as Apple is making more money than ever.

But, my rebuttal to that is that it makes a difference who Apple's customers are, what they do with the stuff, how loyal they are, etc. In the long run, a dozen teenie-boppers who like the emojis and Karaoke Car Pool aren't the same as one creative professional working on the next movie, product design, etc.