Apple's new leather MacBook Sleeve is finely crafted and high quality -- but at a cost

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    lkrupp said:
    ireland said:
    lkrupp said:
    Don’t like the price, don’t buy it.
    We're not allowed comment on the price? Crazy talk.
    Didn’t say you couldn’t, just that it makes you look petty, especially if you have no plans to do anything about it.
    and just what are we supposed to do about it, other than not buy it? For that matter, what difference do any of the comments on AI make? This is a discussion forum. In general, people are interested in products' function, form/design, quality and cost. Value can be roughly equated to function/cost. For all except a very few, cost is a significant consideration in people's buying decisions, so commenting on a product's cost or value is hardly petty. Honestly, criticizing people for mentioning it, especially when it is clearly exorbitant makes you seem more like an Apple apologist than anything else. 
    williamlondonirelandelijahgbala1234
  • Reply 22 of 40
    apmillerapmiller Posts: 34member
    I'm beginning to think that Apple Executives think everyone in the world is a billionaire, or at least a millionaire like they are. To them, $200 is the equivalent of $20 or $2, LOL. They've "lost touch" with the value of a dollar. I could afford this, but no matter how good the leather, it's not a good value. Think what else $200 can get you. Its this comparable?
    williamlondonirelandelijahg
  • Reply 23 of 40
    apmillerapmiller Posts: 34member
    Francules said:
    Noooooooo!!! VEGAN! KEEP IT VEGAN!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! NOOOO! NO! NO! 
    So, should they just toss out all of the leather that is the by product of people eating beef? It's happening whether you like it or not. I don't get it.
    elijahg
  • Reply 24 of 40
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    apmiller said:
    I'm beginning to think that Apple Executives think everyone in the world is a billionaire, or at least a millionaire like they are. To them, $200 is the equivalent of $20 or $2, LOL. They've "lost touch" with the value of a dollar. I could afford this, but no matter how good the leather, it's not a good value. Think what else $200 can get you. Its this comparable?
    Maybe they do... they obviously see a market for it, and people are paying for it, and they're making money and retaining enough customer loyalty in the process regardless of how many people hate on it.

lkruppelijahg
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Needer747Needer747 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    You can get a premium leather macbook sleeve from other suppliers, l bought the Markhor macbook sleeve for only 85
    ireland
  • Reply 26 of 40
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    Now if I could have my initials embossed across one corner, in gold of course, then I would seriously consider a matching set of sleeves for my iPhone, IPad and MacBook Pro. They would look so good with the bespoke Savile Row suit that I plan on getting - some day!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 40
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    One. Hundred. And. Ninety. Nine. Dollars. 

For some leather. 

Leather.

One of the most common and easily obtainable materials on earth. Produced by the truck load. 

One. Hundred. And. Ninety. Nine. Dollars. 
    williamlondonireland
  • Reply 28 of 40
    I don’t think that price is unreasonable for real, high-quality leather. My Coach computer bag cost me around $450 and has cushioned several generations of 15” MacBook Pros while looking fabulous. I believe the Louis Vuitton computer bag is $2,600. Now that’s what I’d call outrageous!
  • Reply 29 of 40
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    AI piece mentioned "pricey laptops" and I wondered if I was reading a Forbes article, or Motley Fool trash claiming Apple is a luxury company. Only reason I nitpick is AI has some influence. As most everyone here knows, the price you pay includes great durability, in-person service, ecosystem, free upgrades, decent resale value, etc. So life-cycle cost is economical, which is why over 40% homes in US have Apple products. Hermes or even Tiffany doesn't sell to 45% of Americans. If journalists try and stamp Apple as a luxury brand, maybe they should do the same for "Toyota" too... But then seeing the price of the case I thought, whoa, unless that's fine Italian leather with buttery feel and no blemishes that's a rip off. (I'm very content with Apple leather case for iPhone X which cost $49 if memory serves. Nice patina now. Very durable. Five stars in my book.) Maybe the term "pricey" is justified for that MB case.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    lkrupp said:
    ireland said:
    lkrupp said:
    Didn’t say you couldn’t, just that it makes you look petty, especially if you have no plans to do anything about it.
    Hogwash.
    elijahg
  • Reply 31 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    ireland said:
    lkrupp said:
    and just what are we supposed to do about it, other than not buy it? For that matter, what difference do any of the comments on AI make? This is a discussion forum. In general, people are interested in products' function, form/design, quality and cost. Value can be roughly equated to function/cost. For all except a very few, cost is a significant consideration in people's buying decisions, so commenting on a product's cost or value is hardly petty. Honestly, criticizing people for mentioning it, especially when it is clearly exorbitant makes you seem more like an Apple apologist than anything else. 
    'Shareholder Syndrome'. Should be a thing. I'm going to start using this term from now on.
    elijahg
  • Reply 32 of 40
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
     I wish Apple would set the example and not put dead animal skin on its products.  They’re a progressive company with environmental standards and this is 2018  

• Reply 33 of 40
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

They look pretty, but open the wrong way. I prefer everything to open from the end, as then I can carry it more comfortably in either a vertical messenger bag, or a backpack. But that's just me.

Still, after my experience with the Leather iPad Smart Cover, which fell apart way too fast, I think I'd avoid this, although it's not as likely to have the same problems.

• Reply 34 of 40
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    hagar said:
     I wish Apple would set the example and not put dead animal skin on its products.  They’re a progressive company with environmental standards and this is 2018  

Don’t buy it then. Everyone’s happy. Including the dead animal (who doesn’t know any better). 
  • Reply 35 of 40
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Francules said:
    Noooooooo!!! VEGAN! KEEP IT VEGAN!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! NOOOO! NO! NO! 
    Well the cows used to make it are Vegan, but leather never is.
    Sure there are those faux-leathers made from ground-carbon and god knows what. Better still many canvas and other natural fibre options.

How do you feel about wool?
  • Reply 36 of 40

The cases don't look that functional to me. I'd rather get a nice bag where I can store other stuff as well.

I've carried MacBooks in bags and they are quite durable, with hardly any scratches on them.

ireland
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    hagar said:

Perhaps they should be looking at bamboo or something like that. 
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Yeah, walked past a Lexus dealer the other day. 

Saw the price … outrageous!

Went in and gave the manager what for! 

While I was ranting on the showroom floor, they sold two …
    fastasleep
  • Reply 39 of 40
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    apmiller said:
    I doubt that they think everyone is a billionaire, just that there are enough people willing to hand over $200 to make this worth it. For everyone else there are cheaper alternatives. 

A quick thought exercise:

Imagine that you are a Wall Street executive, with a Giorgio Amarni suit and their $5000 Rolex, pulling out their computer in a corporate meeting. Which is going to match the image: a neoprene case or the leather one? Hopefully you said leather and realised here the $200 felt like it was worth it. Now ask yourself how many people are in this position or want to look like they are in this position. 
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 40 of 40
    christopher.blackwell@furman.edu[email protected] Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I've used Joli Originals sleeves on an 11" MacBook Air, a 13" Air, a 13" MBP, and a 12" MacBook (my current daily machine). They are comparable in price to Apple's, and the Apple sounds like it is comparable in quality.

They offer great protection, great convenience, a great feel in the hand, and they look good. This is a perfectly reasonable price for a well-made piece of very good leather. I'll stay loyal to Joli, but quite frankly I've wondered why Apple hasn't offered something like this all along, since they started making super-slim laptops.

If you don't like the price or the ethics, you have many other choices. But since we are talking about electronic devices here, everyone's ethics is permanently compromised anyway, and it seems weird to get all "Workers Rise Up!" over the price of a sleeve, when the computer cost a thousand bucks.