Hands on with the new Apple and Blackmagic Thunderbolt 3 eGPU

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    frantisek said:
    If I want to upgrade, I want to upgrade to a card that's much faster compared to what I get with a high end iMac. The Nvidia ones blow the AMD ones out the water. Let's have one of those...
    At the time there when you need to upgrade there can be better option to sell your old MBP and get new with probably new Thunderbolt 4 and TB4 eGPU. But it may not of course.
    Nvidia cards aren't explicitly supported in eGPUs on macOS without a hack and a driver set that needs to be re-applied at every point update to macOS. And, the driver set isn't generally available day-and-date. Takes a few weeks.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 42 of 53
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The big loser here?   The iMac & iMac Pro.

If you have an MBP why would you invest in an iMac?   Just get an external keyboard & mouse, nice display of your choice and an eGPU.   As an added bonus, this eGPU effectively works as a hub where you set down the MBP, plug in one cord and you have a complete desktop system ready to roar...

This changes the equation.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    Accelerating a 5K display really makes the dream of a portable, modular Mac closer to a reality without compromising capabilities.  I just ordered mine and am picking it up from the Apple Store on Thursday.

Haven't been this excited about a piece of kit in a while!  I do a decent amount of 4K video editing, and some light gaming, and this will breathe some SERIOUS life into my maxed out 2016 13" MBP + LG 5K display setup.  I can't wait to see how it accelerates those tasks on such a gorgeous display.  Exciting times!

EDIT: I just noticed this is my 43rd post, and the 43rd reply to this thread.  Perfectly balanced, as all things should be...
    edited July 2018 GeorgeBMacwelshdog
  • Reply 44 of 53
    thttht Posts: 5,443member

If you have an MBP why would you invest in an iMac?   Just get an external keyboard & mouse, nice display of your choice and an eGPU.   As an added bonus, this eGPU effectively works as a hub where you set down the MBP, plug in one cord and you have a complete desktop system ready to roar...

The desktops already lost half a decade ago. The share split is now something like 75:25 or 80:20. It’s now just a race to hold share, to entice a good subset to go with a desktop. I only have MBP15 at work with a Thunderbolt Display. No desire or reason for a desktop.

At home however, I have an 2013 iMac 27”. It’s a shared computer with a lot of USB storage hanging off it. Maybe after the kids get old enough, they’ll have their own laptops, but for now, a desktop is a nice shared computing resource at home. This type of use case could be one of the niche cases for iMacs going into the future.

The main use cases will be what Apple has been touting: people with large computational needs.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    If you want a thunderbolt 3 hub, graphics card, and eGPU, this is actually a really good device on par with cost. Cleaner set up and "just works" right out of the box. Yes, I'd love for replaceable video cards but the reality is this will last a few years and by that time I'd be upgrading to whatever standard is in place down the roadway. With Apple products I'm use to not being able to upgrade or replace my own computer components. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 46 of 53
    backstabbackstab Posts: 138member
    macxpress said:
    backstab said:
    macxpress said:

High quality design, space grey aluminum shell

The Blackmagic's eGPU is dense, as compared to others AppleInsider has tested. The weight is about the same, but the unit is condensed, taking less desk real estate than the Mantiz or assorted Sonnet units.

The top and bottom vents look to be plastic but are also well made, The body's space grey anodizing matches the MacBook Pro pro quite closely.

The design is reminiscent of the 2013 Mac Pro with an intake vent at the bottom and an single large fan at the top. Unfortunately, also just like it, the eGPU lacks the ability to take an upgrade in the future.
    This alone would make me not want to buy this. Why would I spend $700 on something that will be outdated in a year or two and I can't put a different card inside it? It does have really nice features otherwise, but the lack of future upgradability would be a major sticking point for me. 
    Ridiculous.
    Like saying you don't want to buy a MacBook or an iMac because you can't upgrade the CPU. You simply sell the old unit, and then buy a new better one.
    Where have you been for the last 30 years?
    CPU's don't go out of date as quickly as GPU's so your argument is invalid right there. Also, the GPU inside it isn't exactly the greatest thing in the world. If it had shipped with something like a 1080Ti or something comparable on the AMD side then it wouldn't be as big of a deal. Lastly, the whole point of this is so you can keep up to date with cards IMO WITHOUT having to buy a new computer to do it. 

I assume they shipped it with a lower end card to keep the price down. 
    Ridiculous. It sounds like you don't know what the word 'invalidate' means.
    I'll try again in simpler terms:
    Your computer isn't fast enough.
    Your McIntosh amp isn't loud enough.
    Your Porsche 911 isn't fast enough.
    You sell the one you have, and then step up.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    ThaditorThaditor Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    While the Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box is $200 cheaper, smaller, and more portable, it seems to me that in addtion to quietness and style, the real advantage of the Blackmagic eGPU is that it practically comes with a built in Thunderbolt 3 dock that has two Thunderbolt 3 ports. IF -- IF you were gonna go with a non-upgrable eGPU anyway and needed a T3 dock, well worth two more Benjamins
  • Reply 48 of 53
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    macxpress said:
    AppleInsider said:
     Unfortunately, also just like it, the eGPU lacks the ability to take an upgrade in the future.
    This alone would make me not want to buy this. Why would I spend $700 on something that will be outdated in a year or two and I can't put a different card inside it? It does have really nice features otherwise, but the lack of future upgradability would be a major sticking point for me. 
    Because of this...
     |

AppleInsider said:
    This thing is quiet!
    One of the biggest complaints we've had with the many external graphics enclosures we've reviewed is the noise.
    I've been excited about the possibility of these eGPUs for a while now, but don't want a hair-dryer sitting on the desk with machines I purposely pick (as best I can) because they are quiet.

My guess (and hope), would be that we'll eventually see more models with other GPUs, or at least in a year or two, another one with a more powerful GPU.

rezwits said:
    I really hope they release a Mac mini, with Type-C (TB3), where you can hook one of these up!! I mean I just don't want to use a laptop to power my 3 external monitors, connect and disconnect etc... A mac mini would be awesome!
    Yeah... that is the thing making me want to wait until fall to pull the trigger. I'd rather have a Mini than a MBP if I could expand it like this (assuming it had similar CPU, RAM, storage options).

welshdog said:
    $700 is not all that much if you are a pro colorist doing real jobs.  You can pay for that amount in a few sessions and move on.
    For sure. While this is a lot of money for me, it is peanuts for a real pro. The problem with the 2013 Mac Pro, is that this kind of thing wasn't really an option. You were just stuck with the D700 or whatever you bought. Now TB3 makes it a bit more realistic to throw one (or more) of these things external and just upgrade them at will.

macxpress said:
    Now if only the 13" MBP was "REALLY PRO" and had 32GB of RAM! But we all know a real PRO needs 256GB now or maybe 1TB!
    What Pro who does real Pro work buys a 13" laptop on any platform?
    Well, with the changing definition of pro, anyone. But, to your point, I somewhat agree but it's certainly becoming more possible with this kind of setup. Yes, a 'real pro' is probably going to want 18 cores and the bestest GPU, with a few more external, if they can. They aren't going to even use a laptop. But, *IF* they are going laptop, this is nearly as good as it gets (besides the 6-core 15").
  • Reply 49 of 53
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    macxpress said:
    I can see your point with the portability though. It still boggles my mind that some want a 17" MBP. It's a lot of weight to lug around, even in today's world with today's designs and technology, or perhaps even tomorrows. If it works for you, thats all that matters. 
    I hear they make carrying cases for iMac Pros. :)

ascii said:
    Woah - check out that knife. Good for opening boxes, and fending off Windows users who try to touch your Mac.

When on full load, is it quieter or louder than an iMac with 580? Thanks.
    I'm pretty sure quieter... wasn't it like 18db (was that in this video, or did I read it elsewhere?). But, I'd love to hear more about this aspect, as it is crucial for me as well.

The iMac Pro is in a different class, though, as it uses 'pro' level components and can have a higher-level duty cycle and things like that. But, otherwise, yes. I'm not really a fan of the iMac. I'm not sure why people buy them... I guess it is the convenience of an all-in-one for the typical family.

And, while this is a 'one cable' solution, I'm looking at this, wondering how I'd setup my desk. Something like a cylinder Mac Pro seems like a nicer setup. Here, there is a box (which will have other cables off of it), then cable to monitor, other cable to the computer, which I have to find some way to setup (maybe vertical?). It's kind of a messy setup, though being able to easily just unplug the laptop is nice (rather than the multiple cables I have now... which makes me never want to use my laptop as a laptop).

I wonder how well this transitions from 'desktop' to laptop? That's another desktop advantage, as laptops always see to have issues when going between 'docked' and laptop  mode. I guess at least one cable means you don't have to worry about unplugging things in just the right order.

tht said:
    The desktops already lost half a decade ago. The share split is now something like 75:25 or 80:20. It’s now just a race to hold share, to entice a good subset to go with a desktop. I only have MBP15 at work with a Thunderbolt Display. No desire or reason for a desktop.
    A desktop will always win, though, if performance is the concern. Just like iPhones and iPads have become more popular than laptops and desktops, doesn't mean they aren't important (I'd say crucial). When laptops make this kind of advancement, desktops just use similar technology to go even faster (i.e.: 18 cores, more RAM, more storage, etc.). It's just simple physics... you can't pack the same amount of stuff and power consumption into an iddy-biddy case.

backstab said:
    Ridiculous. It sounds like you don't know what the word 'invalidate' means.
    I'll try again in simpler terms:
    Your computer isn't fast enough.
    Your McIntosh amp isn't loud enough.
    Your Porsche 911 isn't fast enough.
    You sell the one you have, and then step up.
    Well, except that when you upgrade your Porsche, you can still probably sell the old one. Of what value will such a GPU be in 3 years?
  • Reply 50 of 53
    I'm looking at trying some basic 3D model work once I get my new 13 inch. If I get good at it I might end up investing in an eGPU. I'd seriously consider this one if it's the only one that works well with the old Thunderbolt monitors, since I have two of them. That said I suspect Apple will be releasing new Thunderbolt 5 K monitors eventually, and at that point if anyone's making an eGPU they'll want to support those.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    How does the 13 inch + black magic egpu + lg 5k monitor handle software like capture one for photography. Is there any slowdown like i have with my 5k late 2015 iMac. Would love it if you did a vid specifically aimed at the photography crowd. Addressing large raw files from high mp cameras, export/import times, editing experience with c1 and lightroom using a wacom tablet etc... this would be sooooooo helpful for a lot of pro-togs.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    How does the 13 inch + black magic egpu + lg 5k monitor handle software like capture one for photography. Is there any slowdown like i have with my 5k late 2015 iMac. Would love it if you did a vid specifically aimed at the photography crowd. Addressing large raw files from high mp cameras, export/import times, editing experience with c1 and lightroom using a wacom tablet etc... this would be sooooooo helpful for a lot of pro-togs.
  • Reply 53 of 53