iPhone survives 1,000-foot plummet out of a plane, located by owner with 'Find my iPhone'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    mac_128 said:
    Landed in a residential neighborhood? Good thing it didn’t hit someone in the head. Who pulls out a phone in a fast moving aerial open cockpit anyway?
    Taint my phone!
  • Reply 42 of 58
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Nice phone case!
  • Reply 43 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:

lkrupp said:
    macgui said:
    "I literally went into shock"

No, you didn't. And no, you don't know what literally means.

Landing on grass, in tall grass, helped big time. On concrete or asphalt, it would have been upgrade time.  I don't know if the pic is of the actual phone, but a case would possibly have helped some.

She slipped the surly bonds of earth, put out her hand and touched the face of God.

And He slapped the phone out of her hand for trying to take a selfie with Him.

A sense of humor indeed. 

Well, at some point atmospheric friction would have kicked in and slowed down the acceleration. Falling 1000 feet doesn’t mean the iPhone would have hit the ground at 200mph or so. It may have survived a more solid surface landing but falling on high grass sure did help.
    Terminal velocity is a well know fact.
    I’m what regard? I doubt I could give a more than a rudimentary, layman’s definition of the term, and I certainly don’t have a clue of the equation used to determine the terminal velocity of a given object’s mass in a given orientation.

From a 2011 Wired article:
    Using that value for C and the bigger area (the screen side), I get a terminal velocity of 12.2 m/s or 27.2 mph. Just for fun, what if it was falling with it’s smallest edge downward, this would give a terminal velocity of 42.8 m/s (95 mph). I suspect it would be closer to the flat-side terminal velocity (maybe around 20 m/s).

Jeez Soli it was a joke, you know 32' per second, per second and all that good high school stuff?
  • Reply 44 of 58
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Soli said:
    This is awesome. Always have loved apple and will for sure love apple and iphone because of this.
    Could have been any phone, really.
    If you mean in terms of impact, I agree that that impact resistance is within a threshold that we know this iPhone didn't get stopped by cement or asphalt. But I do wonder how many Android phones have a built-in GPS locater system as part of the OS that users set up? Sure, the phone company or emergency services could narrow it down, but what about the user without their direct assistance? Is a Find my iPhone-like feature as commonplace for Android as it is for iOS?
    Yes, pretty much standard fare.
    https://www.androidcentral.com/how-track-android-phone
  • Reply 45 of 58
    macxpress said:
    This is awesome. Always have loved apple and will for sure love apple and iphone because of this.
    You don't actually know that. Nice assumption though!
    Same 1000 ft drop, but a Samsung Galaxy.

Agree it still doesn't prove it "could have been any phone" tho.  Luck of the draw more than anything perhaps. 

EDIT: The video @SoundJudgment linked was of the same event. LOL....

EDIT2: And a Moto Z2 survived the same 1000 ft drop test without damage. Apparently it's more common than I would have expected.

edited July 2018
  • Reply 46 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy said:
    macxpress said:

Agree it still doesn't prove it "could have been any phone" tho.  Luck of the draw more than anything perhaps. 
    .. and there you go, should have placed a bet!
  • Reply 47 of 58
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    gatorguy said:
    macxpress said:

I think that's a terminal velocity of 52 mph for the 13 sec and 1000 ft motioned, but doesn't consider how many seconds it took to get to that velocity.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 48 of 58
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    macxpress said:

I think that's a terminal velocity of 52 mph for the 13 sec and 1000 ft motioned, but doesn't consider how many seconds it took to get to that velocity.
    Math wasn't my strongest subject (gave up on 2nd year Calculus after the third go-round) so I'll take your word for it. ;)
  • Reply 49 of 58
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    macxpress said:

Math wasn't my strongest subject (gave up on 2nd year Calculus after the third go-round) so I'll take your word for it. ;)
    That's only algebra, and my math could be wrong. It's certainly not complete since I don't know to scale up how long it would take to get to terminal velocity from zero. Would that require trig?
    60 sec × 60 min = 3600 sec in an hour

3600 ÷ 13 sec fall = 276.923 is the number of times that 13 second direction happens in an hour

1000 feet ÷ 5280 = 0.1893 of a mile traveled

276.923 × 0.1893 = 52.42 mph
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 50 of 58
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    roake said:
    3GS_is-me said:
    raymondai said:
    My 26 months old daughter play my iPhone 6 for over a year, and the phone still work, as I type this comment by it, this is a real miracle.
    Give a Samsumg to a 12 -24 mths baby, you will realize how tough the iPhone is :DDD 
    Guess it’s too hard to say your 2 year old... no one cares about the months.. 
    Parents care.  I guess you’ve not had a child.
    Yeah but *other* parents don't. It's silly when parents cite their kid in months because its not relevant and only increases the cognitive load of the story.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    macxpress said:

That's only algebra, and my math could be wrong. It's certainly not complete since I don't know to scale up how long it would take to get to terminal velocity from zero. Would that require trig?

Calculus... :)
  • Reply 52 of 58
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Here's another, but off of an a amusement park ride;

It would appear that phones will begin to spin given enough time in freefall, and that likely reduces the velocity, via increased drag and/or added lift. An analogy might be helicopter autorotation, or not.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 53 of 58
    roake said:
    3GS_is-me said:
    raymondai said:
    My 26 months old daughter play my iPhone 6 for over a year, and the phone still work, as I type this comment by it, this is a real miracle.
    Give a Samsumg to a 12 -24 mths baby, you will realize how tough the iPhone is :DDD 
    Parents care.  I guess you’ve not had a child.
    Yeah but *other* parents don't. It's silly when parents cite their kid in months because its not relevant and only increases the cognitive load of the story.
    In fairness months do matter when dealing with the very young. There are certain things to be watching for developmentally.
    edited July 2018 tmay
  • Reply 54 of 58
    tmay said:
    Here's another, but off of an a amusement park ride;

It would appear that phones will begin to spin given enough time in freefall, and that likely reduces the velocity, via increased drag and/or added lift. An analogy might be helicopter autorotation, or not.
    I noticed that in the two videos I watched earlier. At least in one of them I think l I can hear the spinning, a sound somewhat akin to a helicopter blade. 
  • Reply 55 of 58
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    That is one good phone case!
  • Reply 56 of 58
    farmboyfarmboy Posts: 152member
    Rayz2016 said:
    3GS_is-me said:
    raymondai said:
    Except doctors, surgeons, dentists, nurses, teachers, social workers, opticians, child psychologists, nutrionists …
    In my day "two-year old" would have sufficed. But now everyone has been brainwashed to factor in every single alleged monthly benchmark of physical, mental and emotional development that months apparently matter.

Or you could just let your parental selves relax and enjoy the process. Let them eat dirt, so to speak. It'll all be fine in the end.

• Reply 57 of 58
    Yet accidental drop on pavement while running to commuters bus to New York City does not bring that lucky results and it is far more likely to happen than plummeting from plane. Nioce report of luck... irrelevant
  • Reply 58 of 58
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Will youtubers and the media go historical about this?!?!?!!!!!!123

No because it's a positive about Apple.