iPhone 7 Plus survives 300-foot drop from amusement park ride in Florida

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has never claimed that the iPhone is indestructible, but another news story finds one of the devices continuing to work after falling hundreds of feet to the ground from an amusement park ride, while filming the descent the whole time.

iPhone dropped from Starflyer

In the last week, news stories have found iPhones dropped both off of a boat and off of a small airplane and continuing to work afterwards. The latest incident involves an iPhone 7 Plus falling from the top of a swinging amusement park ride in Florida.

Not only did it land without breaking, but it continued to film throughout the drop -- with the camera still running when she retrieved the phone at the bottom of the ride.

According to the Click Orlando website, Cansel Yildirim was riding on the StarFlyer, the world's largest at 450 feet, that opened in Orlando in early summer.

She filmed with its video camera, as she and a male companion enjoyed the ride. But, then she dropped the phone, which continued to film as it tumbled hundreds of feet to the ground.

Just like the woman in Iowa last week who dropped her phone from a plane and later found it intact, Yildirim used Find My iPhone to retrieve the device, which somehow survived the drop even though it did not have a case.

This iPhone did have a scratch, but otherwise continued to work.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    luckily no one was killed...
    watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 2 of 25
    uktechieuktechie Posts: 67member
    Wow - that’s amazing. 
    Its whole life flashes before its camera just before the end...
    But wait, what’s that final frame? Is that a digital angel or a tunnel to silicon heaven?
    backstabjeffharriswatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 3 of 25
    That's kind of psychodelic. Too bad she didn't have it on slow-mo.
    supremedesigneranton zuykovjbdragonwatto_cobraredgeminipaargonaut
  • Reply 4 of 25
    My kids went swimming with my iPhone 7+ but unfortunately, the phone did not survive.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    My kids went swimming with my iPhone 7+ but unfortunately, the phone did not survive.
    It is waterproof though.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    Looks like a dangerous attraction.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    Yeah what could go wrong...>slaps forehead<
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 25
    mavemufc said:
    It is waterproof though.
    I brought it to Apple Store and it had water damage, I had to pay for a replacement.  The proper way to handle it was to turn it off immediately, not charge it until it is dry.  According to Apple, it is ok to splash some water on iPhone 7+, but it was never meant to be submerged under water.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 9 of 25
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    It’s lucky it didn’t hit anyone - that’s pretty wreckless.

Nintendo strap anyone?
    supremedesignerclaire1
  • Reply 10 of 25
    He cussed in Stereo.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    yeah if that was my daughter it would have broken, she the master of breaking phone displays.

Where are all the Android storied like this since they like to pick on Apple for be frail.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Not really.  You sit in a chair, it lifts you up and starts spinning flinging you out some.  Really, it's a pretty mild ride.  But hey, a good one to bring your girlfriend on.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    maestro64 said:
    yeah if that was my daughter it would have broken, she the master of breaking phone displays.

Where are all the Android storied like this since they like to pick on Apple for be frail.
    Unlock River (among others) does these 1000 foot drop tests on a regular basis over on YouTube. Had no idea it was a "thing" until this morning. Search "1000 foot drop test". I'm guessing that it's due to the way smartphones (and probably other flat rectangular items?) fall, in a rotating "helicopter" motion which slows the descent. Thanks @Tmay for that. 
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 15 of 25
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:

Unlock River (among others) does these 1000 foot drop tests on a regular basis over on YouTube. Had no idea it was a "thing" until this morning. Search "1000 foot drop test". I'm guessing that it's due to the way smartphones (and probably other flat rectangular items?) fall, in a rotating "helicopter" motion which slows the descent. Thanks @Tmay for that. 
    http://fyfluiddynamics.com

I was hoping that Nicole had something on her site about falling flat plates in free fall, and vortex shedding, which I think is the phenomenon that is occurring. That phones can reach what looks to be a stable, spinning configuration is interesting.

Here's something that's way outside my league;

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/8841/b35f0d2d00ce44539d23c3a000f94470a909.pdf

"Abstract. The phenomenon of flutter and tumble of objects in free fall has been studied using two- dimensional numerical simulations of uniform flow past a plate which is free to rotate about a fixed axis through its centroid. Particular focus is on the effect of Reynolds number and plate thickness-to-length ratio on the flutter-to-tumble transition and on the observed frequency of the angular motions. Simulations indicate that the tendency to tumble increases with increasing Reynolds number and decreasing thickness ratio. A case is also made that the tumbling frequency for two-dimensional plates is governed by a Kar- man type vortex shedding process. These results for this pinned plate have also been verified by simulating a limited number of free-fall cases."

Here's an unrelated post from Nicole;

http://fyfluiddynamics.com/post/175849526230/when-i-was-a-child-my-father-would-take-me-trout

edited July 2018
  • Reply 16 of 25
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Headline is missing the word "still." :)
    Provided he did not dive very deep or stay in terribly long, it should have survived. The iPhone 7+ is rated IP67, and to quote: "The ‘IP67′ certification of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus stands for Ingress Protection. The ’67’ denotes that the new iPhones are fully protected against dust ingress and can withstand being submerged in water for up to 30 mins in 1m depth"
    watto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 17 of 25
    mavemufc said:
    It is waterproof though.
    No... water RESISTANT. The only "water proof" Apple product, so far, is the Series 3 Apple Watch. 
  • Reply 18 of 25
    maestro64 said:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/14/16146120/samsung-galaxy-s5-phone-falling-from-plane-reddit
    https://www.phonearena.com/news/OnePlus-3-survives-insane-aerial-drop-test-from-750-feet-above-ground_id83993
  • Reply 19 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    jbdragon said:
    Not really.  You sit in a chair, it lifts you up and starts spinning flinging you out some.  Really, it's a pretty mild ride.  But hey, a good one to bring your girlfriend on.
    I saw that ride a couple weeks ago (stay away from Sleuth's dinner theatre there. FAR away... that was a wasted 3 hours I can never get back), my wife and I watching it for several minutes and had it not been on a Saturday night might have given it a "whirl" ourselves. The place is a total zoo weekend nights. 
  • Reply 20 of 25
    olsols Posts: 50member
    A scratch? It is amazing that the glass did not shatter. I have managed just that from about 3 feet. Perhaps I should have been much higher and the screen may have survived...